Solvay

Solvay Employer Reviews

Great benefits.
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), North Charleston, SCJuly 7, 2014
Pros: take safety serious
Cons: to many layers of engineers.
My Job is a integral part of the operations, we oversee every aspect of all the daily activities 24 hours a day. The hardest part of my job is communications among the different departments. I enjoy what I do most of the time being able to interact all the different areas within the plant and with the operators.
all in all keep your mouth shut
Underground Mine Maintenance (Current Employee), Green River, WYJuly 4, 2014
Pros: great pay fast upgrade scale
Cons: read above
it is a company has WAY to Cronyism is partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to positions of authority, regardless of their qualifications. Hence, cronyism is contrary in practice and principle to meritocracy.

Cronyism exists when the appointer and the beneficiary are in social contact; often, the appointer is inadequate – more... to hold his or her own job or position of authority, and for this reason the appointer appoints individuals who will not try to weaken him or her, or express views contrary to those of the appointer

As for all the mine it is a clean mine and there are great people that work there I love it and it will be a retirement job.. – less
Excellent place to work!
CHEMICAL OPERATOR (Former Employee), SpartanburgMay 7, 2014
Pros: health benefits, advancement
Cons: stability within company (layoff)
Great pay and time off. Challenging environment! Free operator based training!
IT changed to helpdesk style
I.S. Specialist / Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Green River, WYMarch 12, 2014
Pros: good pay & benefits; good people at the local level; variation in daily work
Cons: increasingly structured workplace; little opportunity for advancement
I started at Solvay prior during the big Y2K scare, in 1998. We had a bunch of upgrading and other changes to accomplish in preparation for that. I got to work in a way that fit my style very well and I flourished there.

On any number of projects, I saw a need that I believed I could fill and I was allowed to step in and do it. It was very gratifying. – more... I built some really good, beneficial systems for them over the years and I appreciated having the freedom and trust to be allowed to do that. I owe some of my most valuable skills and experience to my years there.

Toward the end of my time there, management changes began to alter that environment and disallow the same level of creativity to solve problems and automate processes. Management goals began to oppose direct help for end users and development of new systems to do it. My biggest joy at work was evaporating.

The coming change from "what's most beneficial to my users?" to the typical, self-interested help-desk-and-trouble-ticket approach sucked the joy out of the job for me. This played a big part in my decision to leave Solvay.

Also, being a European-owned company, there are some very real differences in management attitudes and style when compared to the usual American-owned company. The sense of openness and mutual respect drops off more quickly as you interact with people higher up in the org chart. – less
Management Issues.
Project Engineering (Former Employee), BaltimoreMarch 11, 2014
Work there for less then a year and sad to say this was one of the worst experience company I been a part of. Management is clueless with your job. Good luck getting training you ask and nobody knows? since they don't have HR around the Conner, you would have to contact a person in Brazil to get some sort of idea. Training was the worst part of all...
Very Slow paced was boring
Senior Project and Process Engineer (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 27, 2014
I came from an environment that was fast paced and challenging when I stepped into this role. I would typically be done by lunch and would be in out digging around the plant for optimization opportunities while training young engineers.
Blue Island. Il.
Chemical Operator (Current Employee), Blue Island, ILJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: rotation, clean environment, good co-workers, good pay, good benefits.
Cons: supervisors & uper management.
Great group of guys to work with. Great job rotation, good business flow, great stepping stone. Horrible management. Big on safety (during safety meeting) get ir done job mentality. New rules on a daily basis, can't trust supervisors. "There are no accidents. Always operator fault." Nothing fixed till somebody gets hurt.
good place to work
Technical manager (Former Employee), Vernon, TXSeptember 22, 2013
Solvay, as a large company has lots of challenge and opportunities. the culture is very dependable on which location you land, management, division within the company, etc, but in general expect good people to work with.
Bureaucracy is a little bit higher than usual, being a european company, but still more efficient that many.
Ok place
Microbiologist (Former Employee), Cranbury, NJAugust 16, 2013
Overall a OK place to work but with low pay and the culture so-so.
Great place to be employed!
Treatment Services Admin (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 28, 2013
Awesome company! Great benefits! Awesome co workers! Wonderful career!
Applying your Laboratory Skills
Shift Leader / Senior Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Baton RougeMarch 8, 2013
Great entry level position that allows you to become familiar with a broad range of various laboratory techniques.
Good Company
Quality Control Lab Supervisor (Former Employee), Torrance, CAJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: it support is bad
Overall, a good company to work with. Small subsidiary in Torrance. Small company feel.
Current employee of 10+ years
Work there (Current Employee), TexasDecember 20, 2012
Pros: better than being unemployed
Cons: pay, benefits, terrible management
Management is the biggest problem of this employer, disciplinary action is their primary concern. Company has recently been purchased by Solvay and hopefully they will change the current management prerogatives. Pay is less than comparable jobs on the channel and insurance is expensive. STD benefits are extremely limited and there are no sick days. – more... Product is sulfuric acid and located within the Baytown EXXON facility.

The review posted by the I/E tech turned supervisor on here is a joke. He was a former union committee man turned management. Keep looking elsewhere and don't settle for this company, I did years ago and still regret it today. – less
FRENDLY WORK ENVIORNMENT
CHEMICAL OPERATOR C (Current Employee), 24601 GOVERNORS HWY UNIVERSITY PK ILL 60484July 2, 2012
Pros: job security
Cons: good 401 &benifits
HARD WORK BUT SATISFYING.AID IN THE MAKING OF CHEMICAL BATCHES.LOAD AND UNLOAD TRUCKS TO AND FROM STOWAGE.FILL CONTAINERS FOR CUSTOMER ORDERS.
only worked there for a year
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 21, 2012
ppl that I worked with were great. but as with every company you will always have your bad eggs.
working in a team Environment.
Chemical A Operator (Former Employee), Blue Island, ILMay 8, 2012
Pros: learn more/ do more
Cons: not working as a team
Like team work, impowerment, following procedures, giving positive ideas for improvment.
good company
sales and management experience (Former Employee), Cranbury, NJMay 4, 2012
good company. good products. good pay and good benefits. Nice people too.
Stable company
Production Supervisor (Current Employee), Baytown, TXMarch 28, 2012
Pros: stable company
Rhodia has been a good company to work . They have been willing to work with employees in the past.
Productive and funplace
Process Engineer (Current Employee), Mumbai, MHAugust 9, 2014
Pros: free food, free accommodation, transport, gaming, indoor stadium, yearly company tours etc
Cons: long hours
Good place to show our skills and talents both in job as well as cultural activities.
Process Manager at Solvay
Process Manager (Current Employee), Roha, MHJuly 12, 2014
It was good job experience at Solvay, learn lot in process engineering
lot of skill development chance available at Solvay, good amount of work

1 2 3

About Solvay

Join us, the people who ask more from chemistry. More than designing solutions for our customers, we are inventing a new model – Read more

Solvay Photos