Solvay Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Company
Country Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 8, 2016
Came to Solvay 9 years ago, and with no exposure to the Chemical Industry. I quickly learned about all the GBU's and realized that this company has tremendous growth opportunity and compensates their employees fairly.
Pros
Many acquisitions leading to continuous growth.
Cons
Multiple ERP's
Gained a lot of experience and knowledge from this job!
SENIOR LAB CHEMIST (Current Employee) –  UNIVERSITY PARK, ILLINOISAugust 5, 2016
I work 12 hour shifts, very demanding. I take responsibility often up and beyond what is required. Responsible for many aspects of production as far as Q.C. is concerned. I.E. .... In process analysis, incoming and out going trucks of products, micro testing, final product testing, etc. Can be very stressful, depending on the volume of work on any given night.

Learned a lot on how to coordinate priorities, and definitely on computer skills!

Get along very well with management. Have a good reputation with all the management. My immediate supervisor, is the BEST!! She is a great Boss!!

Have great relationship with my co- workers!! Are friends on the outside with many of them.

Getting over whelmed at times with many samples to analyze at once. Always works out. Prioritizing comes into effect, in that case.

Having the great relationship that I have with my lab partner, and all my co-workers!
Pros
Bonuses, 401K bonuses, good health insurance
Cons
Union contract not resolved for 9 months, facility not a great place to be in
Never ending corporate BS, no security
Sr. Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 12, 2016
They bought a failed company and laid off everyone, then hired 35 more people including me, and after a little more than a year they're closing down and tossing everyone out again. No judgment or intelligence behind any decisions, just a bunch of moronic corporate jargon straight out of Office Space, greed and short term thinking.
Pros
If you're a woman you get lots of maternity leave.
Cons
Make no mistake- this is a temp job.
Great Company - Outstanding Opportunity
Technical Sales Manager Oil & Gas (Former Employee) –  North DakotaMarch 8, 2016
Outstanding Opportunity
Compensation & Benefit Packages above industry standards
Work Day - 24 X 7
Management - Knowledgeable and Supportive
Hardest part of the job - Dealing with extreme weather conditions
Just another company
Planner (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 29, 2016
There's nothing that stands out about this company. Your typical big company that doesn't care much about the people, as long as the bottom dollar is being met.
some coworkers are friendly
Chemical B operator (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILMarch 16, 2016
if management dont like you from the beginning then you have a long hard road to battle. mostly everyone will stab you in the back when your not looking.
Pros
hourly wage and benifits
Cons
poor management
Productive atmosphere with good team building.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILFebruary 29, 2016
This company was safety oriented with a good team building atmosphere. The hardest part of this job was working in a zero tolerance environment. Mistakes were severely punished.
Production Scheduling Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 6, 2016
The integration into the Solvay family has been a little bumpy, however the benefit package and work culture make it a great place to work.
Fun
Senior Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 1, 2016
Learned a lot of skills to use in the future. Healthy work environment, there is a lot of support. Great place to work. Lots of opportunity.
Baytown plant
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXJanuary 2, 2016
Company keeps getting sold, just got bought by investors and things have gotten worse. Benefits are getting bad, retirement is pathetic
Pros
good hourly rate
Cons
bad retirement
great time management
Treatment Services Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 5, 2015
I enjoyed this job because the duties required you to manage your time tightly with product testing and reporting. great shift and loved department team building monthly activities.
Interesting work and great people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, TXAugust 5, 2015
Fantastic place to work. Great management and employees. Job was extremely interesting. A lot of work to do. I was kept very busy constantly. Morale at that location was high until production slowed down due to crude market deteriorating. The low oil prices forced no oil production. The product this facility manufactured was Guar which is used for fracking in the oil industry.
Pros
Great management and great employees. Interesting work.
Cons
Was only a temporary assignment. Production had drastically reduced, company had major layoffs including temporary staff.
I did learn lot of account payable processing.
Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJOctober 9, 2015
It was fun to work with supportive management. The office started to get growing, it was difficult to get to know people. Lot of variety of work i learn each time.
Staff Scientist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, PaJuly 10, 2015
Gained a lot of experience from industry experts, retention rate of employees tells all(my supervisor has been here for 30 years). Really laid back place as long as you fulfill your duties. Geeat pay and benefits.
Pros
Summer fridays, lots of pto good pay, great benefits, competitive salary
Cons
Takes a long time to move up
Productive and fun place to work
chemical operator (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 2, 2015
I loaded tank trucks with liquid products. I enjoyed the position being outdoors working in a team enviroment .The advancment was slow
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJSeptember 23, 2015
I was a intern here. I liked my stay here at Solvay as a intern. It was very relaxed environment. I got the freedom to work on whatever assignments I choose. It was a great overall experience.
A company that is trying
Production Specialist/Utility & Head Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 16, 2015
Its buying and selling to leverage itself in the new economy and has become a major player in the chemical industry. As they have sold off thier unwanted intities has left some increased cost on old employees
everyday excitment
Production Specialist/Utility/Head Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 13, 2015
utility supervisor for 2 sulfuric acid units, 1 hazarous waste &fresh acid unit, and 1 Treatment Services unit (direct and railcar hazardous waste facility
all in all keep your mouth shut
Underground Mine Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Green River, WYJuly 4, 2014
it is a company has WAY to Cronyism is partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to positions of authority, regardless of their qualifications. Hence, cronyism is contrary in practice and principle to meritocracy.

Cronyism exists when the appointer and the beneficiary are in social contact; often, the appointer is inadequate to hold his or her own job or position of authority, and for this reason the appointer appoints individuals who will not try to weaken him or her, or express views contrary to those of the appointer

As for all the mine it is a clean mine and there are great people that work there I love it and it will be a retirement job..
Pros
great pay fast upgrade scale
Cons
read above
Current employee of 10+ years
Work there (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 20, 2012
Management is the biggest problem of this employer, disciplinary action is their primary concern. Company has recently been purchased by Solvay and hopefully they will change the current management prerogatives. Pay is less than comparable jobs on the channel and insurance is expensive. STD benefits are extremely limited and there are no sick days. Product is sulfuric acid and located within the Baytown EXXON facility.

The review posted by the I/E tech turned supervisor on here is a joke. He was a former union committee man turned management. Keep looking elsewhere and don't settle for this company, I did years ago and still regret it today.
Pros
better than being unemployed
Cons
pay, benefits, terrible management