Solvay Employee Reviews

Job is interesting, learn about polymers
Technician (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 21, 2016
Management turned a blind eye to many things. Supervisor ignored concerns brought to him. I was told if the wolves were beating at your door, I wouldn't save you!
I came in and loved learning about polymers, making customers happy. Giving 100%. Too many coworkers had a agenda to be verbally abusive. The ratio of men to women is astounding. They act like they work in some body shop where all language and abuse of women is okay.
I developed anxiety working under forceful conditions.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Change hours every 2 weeks, work alone with men and no supervisor on shift
They say never burn bridges. I did when I left...
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  KennesawSeptember 28, 2016
This company is for the birds. I'm surprised they are still open. I worked in the compounding group and it is a dead end job. I refused to kiss butt to advance even though I trained many people who came in after me and moved up the ladder before me. If my strong work ethic won't get me to the top then I don't want it. Pay and benefits are good. They have to pay well in order to keep most of the people they have. Many people have developed cancer there. I believe it's due to the carbon fiber and PTFE floating in the air constantly. Not a healthy environment. With all the ridiculous things going on there the unhealthy environment is why I really left.
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
Politics, back stabbing and unhealthy environment.
Cincinnati Location
Quality Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 22, 2016
I cannot speak about Solvay as a whole, but the Cincinnati location is particularly bad. Poor management, low morale, and little incentive to perform. They care more about having meetings and signing paperwork than about actually making a quality product.
Pros
benefits are very nice
Cons
terrible management, need for autonomy on a local level, poor employee morale, old site, care more about having meetings and signing paperwork than making a quality product.
good pay and good equipment 2 work with
Materials Management (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCFebruary 8, 2017
ok job for 30 years....raised 2 kids with this .......loaded and loaded trucks with forklift.........I also have Waste Water Treatment Class B license and would be interested in a waste water job also
Pros
lunches.....pay....could always get help if I needed it
Cons
People I worked with
Gained a lot of experience and knowledge from this job!
SENIOR LAB CHEMIST (Current Employee) –  UNIVERSITY PARK, ILLINOISAugust 5, 2016
I work 12 hour shifts, very demanding. I take responsibility often up and beyond what is required. Responsible for many aspects of production as far as Q.C. is concerned. I.E. .... In process analysis, incoming and out going trucks of products, micro testing, final product testing, etc. Can be very stressful, depending on the volume of work on any given night.

Learned a lot on how to coordinate priorities, and definitely on computer skills!

Get along very well with management. Have a good reputation with all the management. My immediate supervisor, is the BEST!! She is a great Boss!!

Have great relationship with my co- workers!! Are friends on the outside with many of them.

Getting over whelmed at times with many samples to analyze at once. Always works out. Prioritizing comes into effect, in that case.

Having the great relationship that I have with my lab partner, and all my co-workers!
Pros
Bonuses, 401K bonuses, good health insurance
Cons
Union contract not resolved for 9 months, facility not a great place to be in
More tasks to do than time to get it done
MTL TECHNICAL LEAD (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CANovember 19, 2016
Six sigma lean training and Green belt training, CPR, work out light training, conflict resolution training.

Quick meeting to discuss the day, failures, safety, action items, ...

Contact engineers, update a technical document, follow up with a vendor on an order,...
Pros
Good Benefits, job security
Productive place with good benefits
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 24, 2016
This was a job was a good paying job with good benefits and good people to work for and be around. This job required long hours and sometimes undesirable working conditions.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Long hours, undesirable working conditions
not a great place to work at
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 27, 2017
This company isn't a good company to work for. They don't hire anyone, and they don't give us any benefits. We do a lot of hard work with little pay. The management is also horrible.
Excellent place to work; wonderful, friendly employees!
Corporate Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJSeptember 22, 2016
Excellent place to work; wonderful, friendly employees! Busy front desk with visitors and frequent incoming phone calls. It was just what I was looking for at the time--hours, salary. A bit on the slow side initially. I asked for more responsibility and was given the Travel Expense account of one employee. My time was properly and fully utilized.
Pros
Convient hours
Great Company - Outstanding Opportunity
Technical Sales Manager Oil & Gas (Former Employee) –  North DakotaMarch 8, 2016
Outstanding Opportunity
Compensation & Benefit Packages above industry standards
Work Day - 24 X 7
Management - Knowledgeable and Supportive
Hardest part of the job - Dealing with extreme weather conditions
some coworkers are friendly
Chemical B operator (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILMarch 16, 2016
if management dont like you from the beginning then you have a long hard road to battle. mostly everyone will stab you in the back when your not looking.
Pros
hourly wage and benifits
Cons
poor management
very poor employee moral
mac op and quality inspection (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TXSeptember 12, 2016
Solvay a.k.a. Cytec takes pride in belittling the employees. The supervisors are abrupt and rude...HR is absolutely no help,they are part of the poor moral. ...The ONLY reason people stay is because of the pay and the health insurance. ..
Pros
good health insurance
Cons
VERY POOR MANAGEMENT, favortism is rampant, TOTAL DISREGARD FOR FAMILY VALUES, HR AND MANAGEMENT IS DISRESPECTFUL AND OFTER BERATE THE EMPLOYEES IN OPEN MEETINGS
Productive always kept busy
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CADecember 6, 2016
Worked second shift and up to 10 hours (Saturday's were optional).
Worked with many types of different materials.
You either work alone, with a partner, or in a group of six.
Pros
We got three breaks, over time was offered.
Cons
The first and last break were short.
Too big, lack customer care/ focus
Account Executive/ Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJanuary 11, 2017
Decent products & technology. Lack all customer care & focus. Take full advantage of any and all market situations. Lack supply chain fluidity for the size company they are. Challenging distribution model, disliked by customers and distributors alike
Current employee of 10+ years
Work there (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 20, 2012
Management is the biggest problem of this employer, disciplinary action is their primary concern. Company has recently been purchased by Solvay and hopefully they will change the current management prerogatives. Pay is less than comparable jobs on the channel and insurance is expensive. STD benefits are extremely limited and there are no sick days. Product is sulfuric acid and located within the Baytown EXXON facility.

The review posted by the I/E tech turned supervisor on here is a joke. He was a former union committee man turned management. Keep looking elsewhere and don't settle for this company, I did years ago and still regret it today.
Pros
better than being unemployed
Cons
pay, benefits, terrible management
Excellent Company
Country Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 8, 2016
Came to Solvay 9 years ago, and with no exposure to the Chemical Industry. I quickly learned about all the GBU's and realized that this company has tremendous growth opportunity and compensates their employees fairly.
Pros
Many acquisitions leading to continuous growth.
Cons
Multiple ERP's
Baytown plant
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXJanuary 2, 2016
Company keeps getting sold, just got bought by investors and things have gotten worse. Benefits are getting bad, retirement is pathetic
Pros
good hourly rate
Cons
bad retirement
Staff Scientist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, PaJuly 10, 2015
Gained a lot of experience from industry experts, retention rate of employees tells all(my supervisor has been here for 30 years). Really laid back place as long as you fulfill your duties. Geeat pay and benefits.
Pros
Summer fridays, lots of pto good pay, great benefits, competitive salary
Cons
Takes a long time to move up
Blue Island. Il.
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Blue Island, ILJanuary 2, 2014
Great group of guys to work with. Great job rotation, good business flow, great stepping stone. Horrible management. Big on safety (during safety meeting) get ir done job mentality. New rules on a daily basis, can't trust supervisors. "There are no accidents. Always operator fault." Nothing fixed till somebody gets hurt.
Pros
rotation, clean environment, good co-workers, good pay, good benefits.
Cons
supervisors & uper management.
Just another company
Planner (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 29, 2016
There's nothing that stands out about this company. Your typical big company that doesn't care much about the people, as long as the bottom dollar is being met.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Solvay. Our community is ready to answer.