Solvay Employee Reviews

Fun
Senior Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 1, 2016
Learned a lot of skills to use in the future. Healthy work environment, there is a lot of support. Great place to work. Lots of opportunity.
Never ending corporate BS, no security
Sr. Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 12, 2016
They bought a failed company and laid off everyone, then hired 35 more people including me, and after a little more than a year they're closing down and tossing everyone out again. No judgment or intelligence behind any decisions, just a bunch of moronic corporate jargon straight out of Office Space, greed and short term thinking.
Pros
If you're a woman you get lots of maternity leave.
Cons
Make no mistake- this is a temp job.
Baytown plant
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXJanuary 2, 2016
Company keeps getting sold, just got bought by investors and things have gotten worse. Benefits are getting bad, retirement is pathetic
Pros
good hourly rate
Cons
bad retirement
great time management
Treatment Services Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 5, 2015
I enjoyed this job because the duties required you to manage your time tightly with product testing and reporting. great shift and loved department team building monthly activities.
I did learn lot of account payable processing.
Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJOctober 9, 2015
It was fun to work with supportive management. The office started to get growing, it was difficult to get to know people. Lot of variety of work i learn each time.
Productive and fun place to work
chemical operator (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 2, 2015
I loaded tank trucks with liquid products. I enjoyed the position being outdoors working in a team enviroment .The advancment was slow
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJSeptember 23, 2015
I was a intern here. I liked my stay here at Solvay as a intern. It was very relaxed environment. I got the freedom to work on whatever assignments I choose. It was a great overall experience.
Interesting work and great people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, TXAugust 5, 2015
Fantastic place to work. Great management and employees. Job was extremely interesting. A lot of work to do. I was kept very busy constantly. Morale at that location was high until production slowed down due to crude market deteriorating. The low oil prices forced no oil production. The product this facility manufactured was Guar which is used for fracking in the oil industry.
Pros
Great management and great employees. Interesting work.
Cons
Was only a temporary assignment. Production had drastically reduced, company had major layoffs including temporary staff.
Staff Scientist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, PaJuly 10, 2015
Gained a lot of experience from industry experts, retention rate of employees tells all(my supervisor has been here for 30 years). Really laid back place as long as you fulfill your duties. Geeat pay and benefits.
Pros
Summer fridays, lots of pto good pay, great benefits, competitive salary
Cons
Takes a long time to move up
A company that is trying
Production Specialist/Utility & Head Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 16, 2015
Its buying and selling to leverage itself in the new economy and has become a major player in the chemical industry. As they have sold off thier unwanted intities has left some increased cost on old employees

Want to know more about Solvay?

Ask a question
everyday excitment
Production Specialist/Utility/Head Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 13, 2015
utility supervisor for 2 sulfuric acid units, 1 hazarous waste &fresh acid unit, and 1 Treatment Services unit (direct and railcar hazardous waste facility
Gained lots of experience
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 13, 2015
Gained lots of exposure to instruments and hands on chemistry.
Great place for a career
OPERATIONS SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  winder,ga.August 19, 2014
Worked swing shifts. 12 hours a day. hardest part is the swing shift. Job has become much easier over the years with use of computer software.
Great benefits.
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 7, 2014
My Job is a integral part of the operations, we oversee every aspect of all the daily activities 24 hours a day. The hardest part of my job is communications among the different departments. I enjoy what I do most of the time being able to interact all the different areas within the plant and with the operators.
Pros
take safety serious
Cons
to many layers of engineers.
all in all keep your mouth shut
Underground Mine Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Green River, WYJuly 4, 2014
it is a company has WAY to Cronyism is partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to positions of authority, regardless of their qualifications. Hence, cronyism is contrary in practice and principle to meritocracy.

Cronyism exists when the appointer and the beneficiary are in social contact; often, the appointer is inadequate to hold his or her own job or position of authority, and for this reason the appointer appoints individuals who will not try to weaken him or her, or express views contrary to those of the appointer

As for all the mine it is a clean mine and there are great people that work there I love it and it will be a retirement job..
Pros
great pay fast upgrade scale
Cons
read above
Excellent place to work!
CHEMICAL OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  SpartanburgMay 7, 2014
Great pay and time off. Challenging environment! Free operator based training!
Pros
health benefits, advancement
Cons
stability within company (layoff)
IT changed to helpdesk style
I.S. Specialist / Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Green River, WYMarch 12, 2014
I started at Solvay prior during the big Y2K scare, in 1998. We had a bunch of upgrading and other changes to accomplish in preparation for that. I got to work in a way that fit my style very well and I flourished there.

On any number of projects, I saw a need that I believed I could fill and I was allowed to step in and do it. It was very gratifying. I built some really good, beneficial systems for them over the years and I appreciated having the freedom and trust to be allowed to do that. I owe some of my most valuable skills and experience to my years there.

Toward the end of my time there, management changes began to alter that environment and disallow the same level of creativity to solve problems and automate processes. Management goals began to oppose direct help for end users and development of new systems to do it. My biggest joy at work was evaporating.

The coming change from "what's most beneficial to my users?" to the typical, self-interested help-desk-and-trouble-ticket approach sucked the joy out of the job for me. This played a big part in my decision to leave Solvay.

Also, being a European-owned company, there are some very real differences in management attitudes and style when compared to the usual American-owned company. The sense of openness and mutual respect drops off more quickly as you interact with people higher up in the org chart.
Pros
good pay & benefits; good people at the local level; variation in daily work
Cons
increasingly structured workplace; little opportunity for advancement
Management Issues.
Project Engineering (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreMarch 11, 2014
Work there for less then a year and sad to say this was one of the worst experience company I been a part of. Management is clueless with your job. Good luck getting training you ask and nobody knows? since they don't have HR around the Conner, you would have to contact a person in Brazil to get some sort of idea. Training was the worst part of all...
Very Slow paced was boring
Senior Project and Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 27, 2014
I came from an environment that was fast paced and challenging when I stepped into this role. I would typically be done by lunch and would be in out digging around the plant for optimization opportunities while training young engineers.
Blue Island. Il.
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Blue Island, ILJanuary 2, 2014
Great group of guys to work with. Great job rotation, good business flow, great stepping stone. Horrible management. Big on safety (during safety meeting) get ir done job mentality. New rules on a daily basis, can't trust supervisors. "There are no accidents. Always operator fault." Nothing fixed till somebody gets hurt.
Pros
rotation, clean environment, good co-workers, good pay, good benefits.
Cons
supervisors & uper management.