Solvay Employee Reviews

Lack of diversity
Operator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJune 8, 2017
Lack of diversity. My location has only one female operator...not women friendly I do not enjoy working at my location. recently the gap between hourly and management has broaden.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Lack of diversity...
Good pay and benefits, poor employee morale
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 4, 2017
Worked here at the Tulsa plant, good pay and benefits but employee morale was very low. HR was pretty much non-existent and the carpet walkers were oblivious to all the ongoing problems out on the floor. The safety coordinator was very unprofessional and most policies she enacted were pointless. Too much favortism, it wasn't about what you knew, but more of who you knew.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Too much favortism, lousy upper management
I loved my job at Solvay
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJune 2, 2017
I felt that I was mentally challenged at Solvay. My only regret was not going there sooner due to company budget cuts. Its a fantastic place to work. They say that I'm up for rehire and I hope that is the case. The pay for the amount of work required in my opinion was excellent. I found swinging shifts to be the most difficult thing this job requires.
One of the best places
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 12, 2017
Easy work once you get roiling.
Preparing final product blends, Package finished goods in confirmation to
plant quality standards, Running distillation reactions, Running high
temperature reactions, Shipping and receiving of packaged and bulk
materials, Conduction equipment set up and change overs, Computer
transactions, HAZMAT Technician training, Complete annual training as
outlined in plants' Training Matrix, Uphold and advance HSE policies and
standards, Other various duties associated with chemical manufacturing.
Poor Training, high school mentality, HR plays favorites
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMay 10, 2017
This company is buys other companies.The company has a lot of click type employees that can be rude to new people.HR plays favorites.Training is poor.
Pros
lots of left over food from meetings
Cons
culture is clickish, people can be rude and management is poor
Decent place to work
Laborer/Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNApril 25, 2017
Family oriented, clean, ergonomic/safety conscience. Communication between employees is strong. Production workers work on several different systems.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Union workers vs. office workers
Very clean Lab
Lab Chemist (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXApril 22, 2017
I really enjoyed working at solvay chemicals. Lab was pretty clean and well organized documents. I learned lot of new instruments there. Followed proper safety protocols.
good pay and good equipment 2 work with
Materials Management (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCFebruary 8, 2017
ok job for 30 years....raised 2 kids with this .......loaded and loaded trucks with forklift.........I also have Waste Water Treatment Class B license and would be interested in a waste water job also
Pros
lunches.....pay....could always get help if I needed it
Cons
People I worked with
not a great place to work at
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 27, 2017
This company isn't a good company to work for. They don't hire anyone, and they don't give us any benefits. We do a lot of hard work with little pay. The management is also horrible.
Too big, lack customer care/ focus
Account Executive/ Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJanuary 11, 2017
Decent products & technology. Lack all customer care & focus. Take full advantage of any and all market situations. Lack supply chain fluidity for the size company they are. Challenging distribution model, disliked by customers and distributors alike

Want to know more about Solvay?

Ask a question
Productive always kept busy
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CADecember 6, 2016
Worked second shift and up to 10 hours (Saturday's were optional).
Worked with many types of different materials.
You either work alone, with a partner, or in a group of six.
Pros
We got three breaks, over time was offered.
Cons
The first and last break were short.
Productive place with good benefits
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 24, 2016
This was a job was a good paying job with good benefits and good people to work for and be around. This job required long hours and sometimes undesirable working conditions.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Long hours, undesirable working conditions
More tasks to do than time to get it done
MTL TECHNICAL LEAD (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CANovember 19, 2016
Six sigma lean training and Green belt training, CPR, work out light training, conflict resolution training.

Quick meeting to discuss the day, failures, safety, action items, ...

Contact engineers, update a technical document, follow up with a vendor on an order,...
Pros
Good Benefits, job security
They say never burn bridges. I did when I left...
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  KennesawSeptember 28, 2016
This company is for the birds. I'm surprised they are still open. I worked in the compounding group and it is a dead end job. I refused to kiss butt to advance even though I trained many people who came in after me and moved up the ladder before me. If my strong work ethic won't get me to the top then I don't want it. Pay and benefits are good. They have to pay well in order to keep most of the people they have. Many people have developed cancer there. I believe it's due to the carbon fiber and PTFE floating in the air constantly. Not a healthy environment. With all the ridiculous things going on there the unhealthy environment is why I really left.
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
Politics, back stabbing and unhealthy environment.
Excellent place to work; wonderful, friendly employees!
Corporate Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJSeptember 22, 2016
Excellent place to work; wonderful, friendly employees! Busy front desk with visitors and frequent incoming phone calls. It was just what I was looking for at the time--hours, salary. A bit on the slow side initially. I asked for more responsibility and was given the Travel Expense account of one employee. My time was properly and fully utilized.
Pros
Convient hours
Cincinnati Location
Quality Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 22, 2016
I cannot speak about Solvay as a whole, but the Cincinnati location is particularly bad. Poor management, low morale, and little incentive to perform. They care more about having meetings and signing paperwork than about actually making a quality product.
Pros
benefits are very nice
Cons
terrible management, need for autonomy on a local level, poor employee morale, old site, care more about having meetings and signing paperwork than making a quality product.
very poor employee moral
mac op and quality inspection (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TXSeptember 12, 2016
Solvay a.k.a. Cytec takes pride in belittling the employees. The supervisors are abrupt and rude...HR is absolutely no help,they are part of the poor moral. ...The ONLY reason people stay is because of the pay and the health insurance. ..
Pros
good health insurance
Cons
Very poor management, favortism is rampant, Total disregard for family values, Hr and management is disrespectful and ofter berate the employees in open meetings
Excellent Company
Country Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 8, 2016
Came to Solvay 9 years ago, and with no exposure to the Chemical Industry. I quickly learned about all the GBU's and realized that this company has tremendous growth opportunity and compensates their employees fairly.
Pros
Many acquisitions leading to continuous growth.
Cons
Multiple ERP's
Gained a lot of experience and knowledge from this job!
SENIOR LAB CHEMIST (Current Employee) –  UNIVERSITY PARK, ILLINOISAugust 5, 2016
I work 12 hour shifts, very demanding. I take responsibility often up and beyond what is required. Responsible for many aspects of production as far as Q.C. is concerned. I.E. .... In process analysis, incoming and out going trucks of products, micro testing, final product testing, etc. Can be very stressful, depending on the volume of work on any given night.

Learned a lot on how to coordinate priorities, and definitely on computer skills!

Get along very well with management. Have a good reputation with all the management. My immediate supervisor, is the BEST!! She is a great Boss!!

Have great relationship with my co- workers!! Are friends on the outside with many of them.

Getting over whelmed at times with many samples to analyze at once. Always works out. Prioritizing comes into effect, in that case.

Having the great relationship that I have with my lab partner, and all my co-workers!
Pros
Bonuses, 401K bonuses, good health insurance
Cons
Union contract not resolved for 9 months, facility not a great place to be in
Just another company
Planner (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 29, 2016
There's nothing that stands out about this company. Your typical big company that doesn't care much about the people, as long as the bottom dollar is being met.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Solvay. Our community is ready to answer.