Somerset Medical Center Employee Reviews

this was a great physician to work for
UNIT SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJAugust 17, 2013
This office had a wonderful staff. The doctor was one of the best, cared greatly for his patients.
Worst place to work, not stability, not safe
Patient Care Technician & CNA (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJJuly 11, 2013
I worked there for 8 years, in two differents positions, i went to school because I wanted to move forward as a Patient Care Tech,
Well, first it was a nightmare to transfer to a different Department, then because I started full time and had to change to part time because I couldn't take my class, forget it.... Never back to my old shift, I had to accept working nights. For two years.
I just going to put my review to the Director, Managers, that they NOT TREAT GOOD THEIR EMPLOYEES.
Aftet all these years working, and I had to go for a surgery, well guess what? they lay off me, because I didn't back to work the follow two weeks after my operation, full duties, even with a note from my doctor. So, now you have one idea what awaits you.
Try to back to work there? Forget it. NEVER AGAIN.
I think is time to CLEAN that place, because the Management that is now is workless.
benefits
Cons
poor management, not job security, terrible environment
Helping patients and doctors to make a difference in someones health/life. Words can not explain.
Radiology Office clerk (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJJune 10, 2013
Somerset is a great place to work. it stands up to its values.
Pros
a world wide range of education.
Cons
n/a
great place to work
Emergency Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJMay 30, 2013
Management is fair, my co-workers were true team players. My job was ok, I just could not deal with people dying.
Pros
caring company
Cons
long hours sometimes
Gained valuable experience
Staff Technician (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJFebruary 26, 2013
The ongoing difficulties with merging departments and cutting staff to help the hospital save money left you with uneasy feeling that no one is safe. The atmoshere has changed and you realize that no matter how hard you work and the sacrifices you make are enough to save your job.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
management doesn't keep you informed of the changes the hospital is going through
NEVER GOING BAD
sales executive (Former Employee) –  nyFebruary 12, 2013
WORST EXPERIENCE EVER HAD. NASTIEST DOCTORS EVER.HATED IT
Pros
left early
Cons
long wait
management heavy
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJJanuary 4, 2013
When I started in 1873 through the 50's possibly the 90's it felt like family , afterward it was management generated
Pros
6 week vacation
Cons
not enough time to complete job
Nice environment
Porter (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJDecember 23, 2012
Boss are friendly co-workers friendly all the food you can eat.
Everybody is friendly
Student Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJNovember 8, 2012
Each day I looked forward to going to Somerset Medical Center. The working conditions and coworkers are excellent.
Pros
patient care
Cons
no jobs available yet
very faced paced medical surgical floor
Nurses' Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJNovember 8, 2012
enjoyed my head nurse, helped me to learn how to be very organized
Thriving community hospital
EVS Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJNovember 3, 2012
Still struggling to find the balance in today's fast changing health care field. Somerset is devoted to a culture of patient care, but is still striving to find balance between cost savings and service excellence. Many initiatives and ideas are in process to bring improvement in patient care, but unfortunately the most crucial departments have not yet embraced the change.
i love working with people, im fun to be with people, especially i love to help people in needs
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJOctober 25, 2012
working at somerset medical center are very comfortable, all employees and employer are warm,very nice and helpful.
Pros
free health insurance when you became full time
Cons
short breaks
Horrible place to work
Radiographer (Former Employee) –  Somerville njOctober 17, 2012
The worst place I ever worked. The nurses in the E.R. and especially the O.R. were the nastiest ones I have ever worked with .Everything is rush, rush ,rush with no concern about patient care or safety.
Pros
can't think of one
Cons
too many to list
Close knit staff work ethics
Critical Care RN (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJSeptember 21, 2012
Cared for 2-3 critically ill patients with great coworkers support and assistants. Learn to manage emergencies effectively and timely. Severely ill patient population. Staff would work closey and in a caring manner.
Pros
great benefits and paid
Cons
extremely great expectations from management.
I honestly disagree...
Nurses assistant (Former Employee) –  NjSeptember 3, 2012
I worked at SMC and I'd have to say I disagree w/ all the other reviews. If you talk to anyone that works there 80% are not happy. This is one of those hospitals where theres to many chiefs and not enough Indians. The higher ups like to make there own policies and do not follow the ones that are in place. Patient ratios for nurses assistants as well as RN's can be atrocious on the floors it's just not a good work environment. Go ahead and ask one of the nurses about the magnet status. They'll laugh... Because well... It's laughable... Oh... And they pay the lowest I've seen anywhere in NJ! I met alot of good people there and thats all that I got out of my employment there, alot of awsome friends. I wouldn't work here again if it was the last hospital standing.
Pros
good group of people
Cons
just about everything else
Excellent place to work
Release of Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Somerville NJAugust 29, 2012
Starte with opening mail and identifying what needed to be done with each peice of mail. Answered phones handled on the spot medical records request. Trained all new employees for the Release of Information Area. Co Workers were very pleasant to work with.
Pros
flexable with work hours if needed. no weekends
Cons
non
Excellent
DPT II Clinical Internship (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJAugust 18, 2012
Great hospital, good staff (doctors/nurses and rehab). Magnet hospital for nurses, so they are well trained and great at their jobs. This is the kind of hospital I would bring a family member to.
Great Experience
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJAugust 7, 2012
Great group of people, fast-paced, challenging, large volume of patient interactions
Pros
great people
Cons
not cons, but typical challenges of working in health care environment
Good to work with
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJJuly 28, 2012
Nice environment with good co-workers.Met alot of guys from all over the world with different cultures and stuffs like that.
Great Internship
Internship- Cardiology and EKG Technician (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJJuly 20, 2012
Internship in the Cardiology department. Awesome people, understanding and patient.
Pros
very understanding people