Somerville Public Schools Employee Reviews

Loved working for the Somerville Public Schools! Such a rich and friendly environment!
Translator/Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Somerville, MAAugust 23, 2017
This was my first job as an interpreter and translator. Here is where I grew in this profession. I learned lots of things that I applied and I will continue applying for the years to come. The fact to be in contact with families, to help them is something that fills me as a professional and as a person.
Fabulous Colleagues
Grade 6 Math and Science teacher (Current Employee) –  Somerville, MAMay 27, 2017
Somerville Public Schools spent a long time creating a top-notch urban school district which in-turn has pushed Somerville's students to reach higher and work very hard.
Cons
Administration has changed.New Superintendent has not been on the ground with teachers, and is making decisions and changes without input from the entire faculty.
great experience
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Somerville, MAMay 10, 2017
Good team work
Good management at local level but a slight degree of of nepotism at district level... at least in the early 2000s
Thorough trainings
Like most teaching jobs, too vulnerable to budgetary stability and a high volume of buraucracy that takes away from the main task
Also, like many teaching jobs, a bit too much political nonsense
Pros
culture, experience, ambience
Cons
instability
Okay place
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Somerville, MAApril 20, 2017
There are a lot of clicks within the building.. Teachers tend to bash students in the open (not literally, but trash talk), principle is never around.
Pros
hours, snow days, vacations
Cons
pay, not paid for Holidays, not paid for summer, not paid for time off, some teachers are stuck up, there are a lot of clicks
Laid back great summer Job
Summer School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Somerville, MAFebruary 8, 2017
Positive work atmosphere with student desire to learn and succeed. Staff was friendly and welcoming. Worked pretty independently on what was being taught but had the ability to work with administration to ensure the best learning tactics for the students. The hardest part was choosing which aspects of math to teach and reteach during the summer and the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students enjoy learning.
Special Education Paraprofessional
Special Education, Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Somerville, MAJanuary 29, 2017
I enjoy working with colleagues and my students. The rapport I have with my students is very important to me, it is the reason I go to work every day.
Pros
building relationships with colleagues and students, having experience in my field
Cons
the salary is something that you cannot live on, it is very low. Also, sometimes the support is lacking and not consistent.
Great People Dedicated to Somerville Youth
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Somerville, MADecember 17, 2016
I absolutely loved working for Somerville Public Schools. The administration was professional and supportive. My coworkers were dedicated, kind, and wonderful people that have become life long friends.
Pros
Wonderful Co-workers
Good compagny to work for
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Somerville, MANovember 30, 2016
I worked at Somerville Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)
Pros
Great colleagues, good families, and excellent kids make the day-to-day stresses worthwhile.
Cons
The district mishandled the introduction of the new state evaluation system from the start. Many good people lost jobs due to the district's interest in meeting "Needs Improvement" quotas rather than nurturing growth and development in employees.
Advice to Management
Take steps to encourage greater trust between union teaching staff and administration.
Working with children pre-school age through high school
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Somerville, NJJune 8, 2016
I work for the Somerville, New Jersey with children only when teachers are absent. It is a nice job but it is for four days a week (maximum) and that is not guaranteed.
Pros
Working with children of all ages
Cons
Not guaranteed work
Successful atmosphere
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJOctober 7, 2015
Worked in a high energy and successful atmosphere where everyone worked as team players.. I miss this world and would like to return part time other than teaching. I like to interact with people.

The best part of the job was watching the expressions of the faces of the students when they got what you just taught.
Highly aggressive district with improving results for students.
Supervisor of Specialized Services (Current Employee) –  Somerville, MAJanuary 20, 2015
Somerville is very dedicated to excellence. Our student body is multilingual and multicultural. Help is offered to students new to this country. Very economically diverse community. Somerville is a very eclectic place with night life, great restaurants and lots of artists,
great place but not enough pay
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Somerville, MAAugust 4, 2014
Good school district to work for as a teacher. Not paid enough as a paraprofessional.
Pros
near Boston, great opportunities for the students
Cons
Pay
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Somerville MAMay 1, 2013
Honestly a day really depends which school and age group that you work with. Some kids are challenging while others are super sweet- as with any school district.
Pros
Woman who assigns duties is very accommodating and sincere. Out by 2:30
Cons
Pay is mediocre at best and have to be up by 6:00 AM every day so you do not miss the call.
It's a stable job opportunity
Technology Specialist/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  Somerville, maMarch 8, 2013
I've worked at SPS for almost 3 years as a full-timer. Before being hired as full-time, I was a part-time as a tech as well. It is a fast paced environment at times. I learned a lot as a technician and feel that I have reached most of all its opportunities. It is why, I am out to seek other employment opportunities. It is a 8-4, mon-fri type of job, which is absolutlely great.
Pros
you get your own office
Cons
not much opportunity for growth.
Culturally diverse working environment
Certified Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Somerville, MAFebruary 25, 2013
What I like the most and what I like the least about being a substitute teacher goes hand in hand. I work with a different grade and/or school every day. Although I truly enjoy working with all grade levels, I am looking to dance to a consistent rhythm and/or beat. I am needing more consistency in my work day.
Pros
on-call
Cons
on-call