Sonic Automotive Employee Reviews

Great company to work for..
PRE-OWNED DIRECTOR, F&I DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 20, 2017
Sonic has over 100 stores so if you needed to relocate you could. Lots of opportunity to advance.They are open on some holidays. Really good benefits..
Pros
BIG COMPANY
Cons
MICRO MANAGE
Easy going and laid back environment but very little discipline
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 16, 2017
It can be a little overwhelming at times and the salary as well as the health benefits do not amount to the stress and time spent during the day. There isn't a lot of team work (as we are hired to be a team player) Complaints are some times ignored by management and it's not very structured. I believe the company has potential to be great but management may be a little distracted.
Pros
job security, free lunch, management is very nice and flexible with scheduling
Cons
very little improvement in some areas, work nights and weekends, and the pay isn't the best. also can be stressful
Dealership Management Lacks Leadership
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Nederland, TXFebruary 14, 2017
You know you have a problem with upper management communication problems when the phrases "When all is said and done, more is said than done.", "We can't do it because Corporate is too cheap!", & "Corporate doesn't care about their sales staff, they are expendable."

If a large company has been around as long as Sonic has, odds are they're most likely willing to hear what their other employees have to say. Management at this dealership seems to be too scared to talk to corporate about problems that come up for fear they will look incompetent; especially when creative ideas from employees in all departments. Though whenever those ideas are given a chance, the credit never seems to be given to the right person.

Sonic Automotive, is a great company to work for, ...as long as everything is implemented correctly and everyone is on the same page.
Pros
Free lunches on Saturday, employee benefits & discounts, easy products to sell
Cons
Lack of Communication, Integrity among some managers & low employee morale is common
Very Diversified
Used Car Director (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 12, 2017
Sonic Automotive is one of the largest automotive groups in the country. My time with this company has done more for my career than any other company I have worked for.
Pros
Growth potential, Diversified
Cons
major wage reductions recently
great employess
Parts Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 11, 2017
Great place to work. Long hours if you want to manage a department. but all in all great place. People and upper management was very good and very serious about getting the job done.Great on learning the fixed ops business.
Sonic Automotive is a great company
Internet Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston County, GANovember 2, 2016
I really enjoy working for Sonic Automotive. The management is very understanding, professional at all times and everybody works well together. We are one of the top Chevrolet Dealerships in the nation and will continue to be.
Productive work environment
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2016
I was with Sonic for almost 9 years and over all I feel that it was a good company to work for. I was given the opportunity to grow and advance within the company and they provided great benefits (for the industry).
Great Company to work for
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAAugust 19, 2016
Overall, it is a great company to work for! Great culture and great people. CEO is moving the company in a good direction with the One Sonic One Experience.
hard working, level headed
server , cook (Former Employee) –  wells branchAugust 11, 2016
Working at sonic was horrible. the management was some of the worse I've ever been apart of. As a new worker joins the team other employees such as managers. Are suppose to arrest the struggling worker. But instead of helping they were yelling and being highly Inappropriate.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 9, 2016
Growing company. Lots of upward mobility. One Sonic One Experience... revolutionizing the automotive industry. Huge acquisitions throughout country.
Pros
Growth/Leadership
Cons

Want to know more about Sonic Automotive?

Ask a question
Stay away.
Administration (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 11, 2016
Nothing good to say. Watch your back as an employee or a customer. They want more words, but it is really simple story. It is the car business, not a good thing.
Productive fast paced environment
Receptionist/ Clerical (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2016
Ability to meet various customers daily, Learned several job duties, co-workers friendly willing to assist. Most enjoyable part of job is the family atmosphere
Pros
Schedule accomdations
Cons
Assignment ended
Best Career by far!
billing specialist (Current Employee) –  Irondale, ALNovember 7, 2015
I've been in the auto business for 20+ yrs & never experience such a great place to work! Employees are treated as family instead of numbers.
Pros
No stress, great coworkers, advancement opportunities
Cons
Not a bad place to work; not a good one either
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 1, 2015
Sonic is a great place to work if you're looking for a place to make some good money! It truly depends upon what motivates you in life. Do you prefer having time to yourself or with your family? A sales consultant position is not for you, if so. I will say that they are working on changing that aspect of the job, to be fair, but that is likely at least 5 years away in my location. Also, my location suffers from a lack of strong management with most managers adopting a "boss" mentality and leaning heavily on favoritism. You will work very long hours 6-7 days a week and you will watch the management team, depending on which store you work at, enjoy their early days, late days and even some weekends.
Pros
good pay with commission
Cons
weak management, long hours, no work/life balance
ok place if your ok with settling
Parts Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  houston txJune 28, 2015
no real chance for advancement. plan on making the rate you get hired on at for the whole time you work there. most managers are pretty cool until you get to the general manager level and above. corporate managers are for sure a dog and pony show to dealer level employees.
Pros
chance to meet alot of people
Cons
automotive business as a whole
Very flexible with hours
Finance & Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 16, 2015
My department is flexible with hours. A great environment to work in and the people are helpful. The setting is laid back, but still professional.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Drive time to work
Challenging yet fun family feel to this company
Director of Leadership Development (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 21, 2015
There is a true camaraderie working at Sonic. They are focused on promoting from within and they have programs in place to develop the employees that want more out of their career. Additionally, Sonic has been brave enough to fundamentally change the way people will be buying cars with us. The sales people are being paid a "real" salary plus bonus so for the first time an automobile sales person has a career they can respect and have a job/work life balance! The first market was introduced in the Charlotte market but over the next couple years they will roll this new business plan out to the rest of their 104 dealerships. The cool thing is that Sonic is investing heavily in the dealerships as they get converted to the new way of selling (called One Sonic One Experience). The investment makes the showrooms feel more comfortable and technology is at the forefront of Sonic. The sales people will sell cars 100% from an iPad that has Sonic specific apps on it. The sales people will even handle the finance portion of the sale ... it is waaaayy cool!! The most enjoyable part of my job is being at the beginning steps of One Sonic One Experience. It really is easy to recommend working for Sonic. The hardest part of the job is that is still a retail business, so Saturday's are must for working and Sunday's are variable. The pay and benefits are very good!
Pros
Forward thinking company, technology is at the forefront along with Customer Satisfaction
Cons
Retail business
Associate Satisfaction
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 9, 2015
They teach us that the people we work with are the most important guests at our dealership and to treat each other exactly like we would an external guest, or a paying customer, only better.
Fantastic organization to work for. Cutting edge technology, wonderful people, opportunity for advancement, wonderful culture.
National Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 9, 2015
I have been in the workforce for over 25 years, spending many years at the world headquarters of a Fortune 100 company.... Sonic Automotive fosters a culture that is true and honest. Sonic is truly taking the steps to make itself a world class organization to work for. As part of Sonic Automotive Family for under a year, I love the fact that we are trying to change the automotive buying process, removing all the pain points for our guests (customers), and proving nothing short of an amazing experience. I am fortunate as a Training Manager with Sonic Automotive, to go to our stores throughout the U.S., and help our management and sales force change the way we think and the way we conduct business. Not only do we train honest and transparent business transactions, but help foster that same kind of thinking amongst our Sonic Family, our employees. I truly love what I have been charged to do throughout Sonic Automotive and look forward to many years of enjoyment.
Pros
Great People, Great Opportunity, Great Culture, Great cutting edge technology
Cons
None up to this point
Growth opportunites.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 8, 2015
I have had a few different jobs here and each move has been a move up in status and income. Great company to work for if you are a dedicated, hard working individual. Slackers need not apply. Some of the best of the best people work in the dealerships and really care about the customer.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
Managers and Associates that don't buy into the company vision

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonic Automotive. Our community is ready to answer.