Sonic Automotive

Sonic Automotive Employer Reviews

dont do it!!!
Receptionist (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 3, 2014
Pros: techs were nice
Cons: sonic automotive. they are crooks
They do not pay well
Always saying no money but had a party on the show room floor all the time.
Management sucked
HR was worst
Then executives blow into town and spend a bunch of .money on some moral mess disgusting
Worked there 5 years an they wouldn't give me a 50 cent raise
They allowed an employee to bully the staff and only after several several – more... complaints was sje fired. But they still allowed her to coma back any time she wanted and go any where in the dealership. Service parts. ...no questions asked after being fired. – less
Turned My Job Into A Career
HR Manager/ Accounting Manager (Former Employee), Calabasas, CANovember 22, 2014
When I started with Sonic Automotive in 2003 as a vehicle title clerk, I did not know how much growth that job would set into motion. With the support of the company over my 9-year tenure was able to relocate from Orlando to Los Angeles, advance into accounting management, and cultivate new skills in Human Resources.
Did not make it a month!
Team Leader (Master Technician) (Former Employee), Vienna VirginiaNovember 1, 2014
Pros: on-site parking, no need to worry about fixed right first time scores or certifications
Cons: the lunatics were/are allowed to run the asylum. very long shifts, expensive benefits, non existent employee prices, no interest in selling the premium brand image.
After being pitched the stars, the reality set in on day 1 that the work days would be long and stressful and the working conditions would be downright dangerous. I was told that being such a large organization there was a great support structure, and corporate culture that would be there to encourage efficient work and be available to help where needed. – more... The reality was the farthest from that. Basic IT needs went unmet the entire time I was there, HR was overworked and/or under staffed, or just apathetic. The majority of the staff was untrained and unaware of the most basic procedures and were allowed to work on the most advanced concerns, often leading to complete dissatisfaction from owners. This was well known by management, although very little effort was made to turn that around.

My facility was a dungeon (dark, dirty, and dangerous), there was no capital investment in infrastructure, and nothing on the horizon. The only shop tools that were maintained were the MOC flush machines. The days started early (0700) and although scheduled until 1600 would often be volun-told to cover for someone as the unscheduled oil changes would stream in between 1700-1830.

There is no emphasis on ethics or honest business practices. The were all but encouraged to bend, stretch, and manipulate the truth to get the sale.

This store turned me off from working for a national chain and gives all professional technicians a bad image. – less
Poor Management
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 1, 2014
Rivalries and favorites overshadow strong staff and productive dealerships
Love it here
Internet sales agent (BDC) (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: great money, love the hours, easy job
Cons: costumers can be a pain sometimes
Our BDCs are closing all around the country we are getting laid off
great work enviorment
Data Entry for E-Lead (Former Employee), Broken Arrow, OKSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: good benfits
Cons: some employees are not team employess
Working at a fast pace, having fun with customers and employee's. Hardest part of the job pleasing customers. Most enjoyable when you do a job well done and get great reviews.
sales environment, goal oriented
eSales/eComm/Internet Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Jose, CASeptember 7, 2014
learned about sales and working with multiple people on a deal to help customer. learned about vehicles and products versus competitors. learned how to overcome objections by customers.
A fun, productive environment with excellent co workers.
Assistant Manager/Call Center Agent (Former Employee), Irondale, ALAugust 15, 2014
Pros: good people, productive and fun, income and benefits above average.
Cons: work life balance, open most holidays.
High volume, good training, with training and necessary equipment to help my customers.
Stressful work environment
Cashier/Warranty Clerk (Former Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 13, 2014
Management not attentive to associate health and welfare
Reviews not given even with repeated request
Raises given primarily to associates belonging to unions only
N/A
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Ann Arbor MIAugust 10, 2014
Responsible for updating filing system, creating daily spreadsheets to track payments and operating a switchboard. Additional responsibilities of evaluating, planning, organizing and managing social media channels to target clientele
Horrible Place to Work Especially for U.S. Veterans!!!!!!
Auto Detailer (Collision Center) (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 16, 2014
Pros: restrooms are usually clean
Cons: management, pay, benefits, lunch breaks, communication, shop lighting, shop equipment not working or updated, dirty shops, allowed smoking within the building, proper ppe not enforced
Massey Cadillac (North) owned by Sonic Automotive is the work place to work for any of the job positions. Reason for that being said, is because this company takes pride in showing favoritism especially if you have family members already working there. More than likely, only close grouped family will get at least offered a new position before a person – more... that is willing to work and takes pride in what they do.

Management is horrible at this job. This dealership has been through so many General Managers and regular managers, it's almost a disgrace to even bother talking about. They can't seem to keep a manager at this dealership for more than a year. First of all, there is NO structure at this job. Communication is absolutely terrible. If you were to ask for something whether is safety related or work related, you have to wait days to get a response from management. This work place is so bad to work at, I can't believe the amount of times that I have witnessed the "Managers", smoking around flammable materials in the various shops. You don't necessarily have to take my word on that, but the proof is on the shop floors. I'm very surprised that OSHA doesn't read some to these reviews. At least once safety personnel are on the premises, everyone is instructed to wear proper PPE then. Wow!

The hardest part of this job is actually, going to work everyday. The pay is terrible and the managers can careless about you or whatever situation that is making your work experience so bad. No worries, because Sonic Automotive sends a representative around once a year to do surveys on managers and employees. Only problem with that is that after the surveys come back (let's say in a negative way), they attempt to fix the problem, but when you explain other problems like your pay, Why are my benefits so high or I've been here for X amount of months or years and no talks of any kind of raise? No one can answer that question for you........at all.

During our meetings, we can see how much the company has made per quarter, year, etc. but that money isn't being invested into the people that are making it even possible to have a work environment. This company doesn't take the time to figure out the real issues of the dealership by asking the people that work for them to express their true feeling about working here. They may ask in the survey, but they will not act on them. Even if the company can't afford to do something nice for their employees, at least do something to build up the spirits and the morale of it's employees. We are the ones that are sharing blood, sweat and tears to try to survive at this place.

I'm pretty sure that this whole overview is pointless to some because all they see is a nice clean Cadillac dealership - in the front, but if only they knew how the people are treated behind doors to see that your vehicle is repaired or cleaned properly, you would probably think otherwise before bring your vehicle at this location.

This company has the potential to change, but for whatever reason, they won't. No one takes the guy that works in the back with the dirty uniform from working the hardest that they possibly can seriously, over the guy that works in the front with the suit and tie walking around the dealership that only worries about his income and NOT is employees.

Honestly I can say the best thing about this job, was leaving it everday!!! – less
A great place to make money
Honda Volkswagen Benz BMW and Mini of Ft Myers (Current Employee), Ft Myers FlJune 30, 2014
Pros: see above please
Cons: see above please
I loved working with Sonic Automotive. The benefits and the pay were excellent. The hardest part of my job would be after five years my department was still not stable and a lot of management change. I enjoyed my co-workers. I was very successful at my position and enjoyed helping the new comers learn and watch them grow and make a lot of money also. – more... That was something that was not done by all of my coworkers. I always believed being a Senior Rep it was very important to teach new employees the ins and outs of the company,this also helped me make more money. – less
This store needs a managment overhall
Inventory Manager Rockville Porsche Audi (Former Employee), Rockville, MDJune 25, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: incositsant management
The management at this dealership at this time is dreadful to work for. Non of the sales staff are happy with the current management staff, however they are so heavily compensated that they put up with it.
Quick Lube Technician (Former Employee), Baytown TxMay 31, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: commission based
I enjoyed working there I had a great time working there management was great I learned a lot about the automotive business.
Stability and opportunity
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 8, 2014
The people made this company what it is today. There are many people that were there when it started and they continue to work for Sonic today. That says it all.
always something new
eBay Motors Manager/INFINITI Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Vienna, VAMarch 25, 2014
It was great to learn how to fold cloths and help customers find what they want. Ring customers up.
Able to move up
Internet Sales Manager/eSales Manager (Current Employee), Concord, CAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: fun atmosphere, fast paced, paid for how well you do
Cons: some greedy coworkers, management changes
I enjoy working for Sonic because I was able to move up quickly and was given great support from one of my managers.
Productive and fun place to work.
Finance Manager (Former Employee), Concord, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: working close with customers, vendors, and financial institutions
Cons: few days off
Long days, non-stop work, but rewarding. I learned a lot from my finance director; she was amazing at her job and was kind enough to fill my mind with very useful knowledge.
Hope you like working for free....
Service Advisor (Current Employee), MichiganOctober 23, 2013
Pros: cheap insurance..
Cons: long hours...little pay
Sonic Automotive is a joke..the only thing they care about is how much money that you have made for them. The pay plans are terrible..no base..100% commission. Hard to make a living. The hours are long 50 hours a week and the management is so disconected from reality it's not funny. Sonic pushes to squeeze every penny from it's customers without any – more... regaurds for thier loyalty.
Do yourself a favor...go apply somewhere else... – less
Fun place to work
PARTS MANAGER (Former Employee), Charlotte NCSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: upper management is forward thinking
Cons: work life balance is not good
Sonic automotive is growing and it is fast paced and a challenge

About Sonic Automotive

No stranger to speed, O. Bruton Smith has raced Sonic Automotive to the front of the pack of US auto dealers behind larger rivals, – Read more