Sonic Automotive Employee Reviews

Best Career by far!
billing specialist (Current Employee) –  Irondale, ALNovember 7, 2015
I've been in the auto business for 20+ yrs & never experience such a great place to work! Employees are treated as family instead of numbers.
Pros
No stress, great coworkers, advancement opportunities
Cons
Not a bad place to work; not a good one either
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 1, 2015
Sonic is a great place to work if you're looking for a place to make some good money! It truly depends upon what motivates you in life. Do you prefer having time to yourself or with your family? A sales consultant position is not for you, if so. I will say that they are working on changing that aspect of the job, to be fair, but that is likely at least 5 years away in my location. Also, my location suffers from a lack of strong management with most managers adopting a "boss" mentality and leaning heavily on favoritism. You will work very long hours 6-7 days a week and you will watch the management team, depending on which store you work at, enjoy their early days, late days and even some weekends.
Pros
good pay with commission
Cons
weak management, long hours, no work/life balance
ok place if your ok with settling
Parts Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  houston txJune 28, 2015
no real chance for advancement. plan on making the rate you get hired on at for the whole time you work there. most managers are pretty cool until you get to the general manager level and above. corporate managers are for sure a dog and pony show to dealer level employees.
Pros
chance to meet alot of people
Cons
automotive business as a whole
Very flexible with hours
Finance & Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 16, 2015
My department is flexible with hours. A great environment to work in and the people are helpful. The setting is laid back, but still professional.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Drive time to work
Challenging yet fun family feel to this company
Director of Leadership Development (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 21, 2015
There is a true camaraderie working at Sonic. They are focused on promoting from within and they have programs in place to develop the employees that want more out of their career. Additionally, Sonic has been brave enough to fundamentally change the way people will be buying cars with us. The sales people are being paid a "real" salary plus bonus so for the first time an automobile sales person has a career they can respect and have a job/work life balance! The first market was introduced in the Charlotte market but over the next couple years they will roll this new business plan out to the rest of their 104 dealerships. The cool thing is that Sonic is investing heavily in the dealerships as they get converted to the new way of selling (called One Sonic One Experience). The investment makes the showrooms feel more comfortable and technology is at the forefront of Sonic. The sales people will sell cars 100% from an iPad that has Sonic specific apps on it. The sales people will even handle the finance portion of the sale ... it is waaaayy cool!! The most enjoyable part of my job is being at the beginning steps of One Sonic One Experience. It really is easy to recommend working for Sonic. The hardest part of the job is that is still a retail business, so Saturday's are must for working and Sunday's are variable. The pay and benefits are very good!
Pros
Forward thinking company, technology is at the forefront along with Customer Satisfaction
Cons
Retail business
Associate Satisfaction
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 9, 2015
They teach us that the people we work with are the most important guests at our dealership and to treat each other exactly like we would an external guest, or a paying customer, only better.
Fantastic organization to work for. Cutting edge technology, wonderful people, opportunity for advancement, wonderful culture.
National Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 9, 2015
I have been in the workforce for over 25 years, spending many years at the world headquarters of a Fortune 100 company.... Sonic Automotive fosters a culture that is true and honest. Sonic is truly taking the steps to make itself a world class organization to work for. As part of Sonic Automotive Family for under a year, I love the fact that we are trying to change the automotive buying process, removing all the pain points for our guests (customers), and proving nothing short of an amazing experience. I am fortunate as a Training Manager with Sonic Automotive, to go to our stores throughout the U.S., and help our management and sales force change the way we think and the way we conduct business. Not only do we train honest and transparent business transactions, but help foster that same kind of thinking amongst our Sonic Family, our employees. I truly love what I have been charged to do throughout Sonic Automotive and look forward to many years of enjoyment.
Pros
Great People, Great Opportunity, Great Culture, Great cutting edge technology
Cons
None up to this point
Growth opportunites.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 8, 2015
I have had a few different jobs here and each move has been a move up in status and income. Great company to work for if you are a dedicated, hard working individual. Slackers need not apply. Some of the best of the best people work in the dealerships and really care about the customer.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
Managers and Associates that don't buy into the company vision
Look out Automotive retailers! Sonic is turning the car business upsidedown!
Training Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 8, 2015
Sonic has truly been a joy to work for. Customer focused (both internal and external). We are changing the way people buy cars...changing the way people think about car dealerships! If you are an aspiring sales person, customer service rep, mechanic or someone that has a real passion for anything you do then Sonic is the company for you!
Management is breaking down the old antiquated way to look at the Automotive sector by doing what the guest has asked for forever. You will love working for this company!
Pros
Positive thinkers, Guest focused (internal/external), believe in a work-life balance.
Cons
I really can't think of any. If you're not passionate about your career...you need not inquire!
The Apple store meets the Car Dealership
National Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 8, 2015
I joined this company because my past automotive experience carried the stigma of dishonesty, shrouded in secrets, plaid blazers, painful processes, no work/life/balance
Pros
A company that wants to change the automotive buying landscape.
Outstanding Place to Work
Regional Training Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 8, 2015
Sonic has a strong positive culture who offers real chances to grow professionally in the auto industry. I have been with them for 5 years and have always felt supported and encouraged. They believe in taking the high road in their dealings with customers and associates. I would recommend them to anyone.
Pros
There a big corporation with a small company feel, They have always encouraged their associates to move up in the company, I have witnessed this time and time again.
Cons
They are going through growing pains with their technology.
Company that Takes the High Road
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte NCApril 8, 2015
Sonic Automotive is striving to change the way people buy cars. The guest-centric focus is unique in the industry and makes Sonic a great place to work and shop. The company has invested millions in its two most recent initiatives - One Sonic One Experience and Echo Park. Both of these initiatives place an emphasis on the guest experience with the goal of helping customers buy cars instead of trying to sell them a car.
Pros
Clear vision, strong leadership, commitment to associates and guests, willing to take risks, willing to change to meet consumer needs, committed to training and people development.
Cons
Not a good place to work if you like the traditional way of selling cars.
A company that rewards performance.
Used Car Manager - Regional Trainer (Current Employee) –  Denver ColoradoApril 8, 2015
Especially in the automotive industry it is hard to be noticed for doing things the right way. Sonic says they take the high road, and they do! Not only is that refreshing, but you get rewarded for doing the same. Limitless potential for promotion, and a nationwide company add to the draw. It is the automotive industry, so hours can be long, there can be crabby people, and all 9,000 employees are on the exact same page all the time. Given the size of the company, progression wouldn't exist if those were not the case. If you want to work for a large company that you can go places with yet still have a voice, you won't find one better than Sonic Automotive.
Pros
Outstanding Employee Perks Page
Cons
They inspect what they expect. No places to hide.
Fun environment changing the way we shop!
Regional Training Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 8, 2015
Sonic Automotive has grown tremendously, focusing efforts on the guest and how they want to shop. Going to a more mobile based system has shown that hard work and planning do pay off in the end. Additionally, I couldn't be happier with my relationship with upper management. The key is to work hard and the rewards will present themselves! An excellent company with huge potential moving forward!
Pros
All of the above!
Cons
None for me!
The best place to work and shop
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 6, 2015
What a great place to work! I've bought cars through them, had my service work performed through their stores, and supported my family through employment with them for 5 years. They are fair, communicate well, and have a very focused and understood direction the company is moving toward.
Pros
A huge focus on associate satisfaction. Opportunity exists within this organization.
Cons
I can think of no cons
Forward Thinking company in an old school industry
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 5, 2015
This is a great company with a focus on changing how business is done in its industry. One of the best companies you can work for with nearly unlimited room to grow. There are a lot of changes, and many are learning to adapt to that change.
Pros
Great support and senior management open to ideas.
Cons
Background checks prevent cons from working here.
Forward thinking and inspiring company
Talent Acquisitions (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 3, 2015
I have worked for Sonic for 3 years. The company has taken on a guest experience intiative that is a game changer for the industry. While going through this process, the leadership has accepted and used ideas from associates at all levels within the company. Senior leadership demonstrates a real caring for it's assoceates, and truly making Sonic Automotive the best place to work and shop. They have changed sales associate compensation from a straight commission pay, to a salary + bonuses plan that rewards the associate for providing a great experience rather than just for how many cars they sell. The passion for this culture starts from the very top of the organization. It is a large company with a family owned feel.
Pros
Large company with tons of opportunities, Family Feel, Embraces technology
Cons
Currently going through a lot of changes in process to match new initiatives, but will be worth the ride in the end
Worst Place To Work
Sales Associate New/Used Vehicles (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Their motto is "a great place to work and shop." This is a classic example of a slogan highlighting a companies biggest weakness. They know they have an image and moral problem, which is why they made this their slogan.

I have never had an employer do more to take from their employees benefits while simply not taking care of their employees in terms of simple things they need to do their job. Sonic Automotive is more interested in flipping dealerships for a profit. Once they but a dealership employees will be forced to do some much more, for so very much less compensation. Horrid benefits and moral at these dealerships.
Privacy, accuracy, achievement.
Human Resource Administrator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 12, 2015
Worked from 8-6 plus some over time
I learned many computer programs, laws and regulation.
The hardest part of the job some days were hours for personal time for each issue and person.The associate satisfaction being the most important.
The associates were the most enjoyable part of the job . Always helping them sort out issues and the benefits.The mentoring, teaching and training. Holding events and keeping them informed.
Taking care of the management teams and the company.
Pros
we did have lunches on special events. yearly recognition.
Cons
closing the hr department to a 1800 number.
dont do it!!!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 3, 2014
They do not pay well
Always saying no money but had a party on the show room floor all the time.
Management sucked
HR was worst
Then executives blow into town and spend a bunch of .money on some moral mess disgusting
Worked there 5 years an they wouldn't give me a 50 cent raise
They allowed an employee to bully the staff and only after several several complaints was sje fired. But they still allowed her to coma back any time she wanted and go any where in the dealership. Service parts. ...no questions asked after being fired.
Pros
techs were nice
Cons
sonic automotive. they are crooks