Sonic Drive-In Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,482 reviews matching the search
fast pace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 19, 2016
Processed large numbers of transactions each day in a timely manner. Answered customers’ questions and addressed problems and complaints in person and via phone. Helped customers select products that best fit their personal needs. Maintained visually appealing and effective displays for the entire store. Educated customers on product and service offerings. Offered exceptional customer service to differentiate and promote the company brand.
Good First Job
Carhop (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZAugust 1, 2016
A typical day working at Sonic is working really hard, and not making enough money. For training, you make minimum wage, then they drop you down to waitress wages (which is around 5 dollars) when you become a car hop. At Sonic I learned how to make every single drink and shake combination they sell. I learned customer service there, and took it with me to every job I got after that. You rarely get tipped and if you do its 1- 2 dollars. Let's put it this way- if you get a 5 dollar tip, everyone will be jealous because it's not common. It's a great first job, but I would not recommend it to anyone that is experienced.
Great establishment, great hours.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 9, 2016
Overall the workplace is ran greatly, do not work here if you cannot handle a balance between fast 'in-out' transactions and needy customers. Management treatment can be better, build up a tough skin if you're thinking about applying. However they're always accepting if you want more/less hours or cannot work a day (as long as you're covered). Perfect job for high school students or college students home for summer.
Pros
Amazing hours
Cons
Don't always get a break
Disappointed
Carhop (Former Employee) –  Gastonia ncJuly 27, 2016
I personally have always loved working for sonic and did so for 10 years in Tulsa Oklahoma, however, when I was employed by the sonic in gastonia NC it was the worst job experience I have ever had. And the sad part is many of the other employees were also very unhappy with the GM. Very unprofessional, my experience with the company was very extensive compared to that individuals. Was promised a position that was filled by another and not given the pay that was deserved. Love working for sonic but would not recommend this specific location.
Productive and fast pace job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Aubrey, TXJuly 25, 2016
Sonic Drive In is a perfect job for high school students wanting a part time job. I worked at Sonic as a cook from my junior year through my senior year. I was lucky enough to work with my best friends but it is also a friendly work environment. I learned how to run the whole kitchen and fountain and the most you can make with that is $8.15/hour. Carhops make a lot more money than cooks because of tips. Morning/afternoon carhops make a lot more money in tips than night carhops.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
no breaks, lots of chores, greasy work
busy but we made it fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, TNJuly 26, 2016
I would go in and set everything up for the day, count money and get the carhops set up as well. Once a week I would do payroll and a truck order. I learned how to manage a team of about 18 people on my shift. The hardest part was having to stay over after my shift ended because of people quitting. I really enjoyed working there because we made it fun and everyone was like family.
Pros
job stability
Cons
working alot of hours because of people not showing up for their shift
Perfect for a first job
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 1, 2016
I started off as a carhop, then after a year of hard work and learning how to work as a cook in the kitchen and how to make all the items that were on the menu I eventually was promoted to shift manager. After 6 months of being a shift manager, I was required to do all the things an assistant manager would do, but was not paid like and assistant manager or given the title. Working up the ladder is possible. This is the perfect job for people who are looking for a part-time job while in high school or during the summer.
Working at Sonic.
Cook (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAAugust 8, 2016
Working at Sonic Drive-in as a cook has been an amazing experience. There are lots of laugh but there are many serious moments on a typical day when the store is packed. My co workers make the job just that much more enjoyable at the busiest moments with a few chuckles here and there; I love my co workers and the management staff. Couldn't ask for a better team. The hardest part of the day, in my opinion, is happy hour. It is a very busy, intense environment but that has never discouraged us before; we are always up for a challenge. However, having years of experience in a field but receiving a minimum wage salary is not a direction I plan to stay in forever.
Pros
50% off for employees; dress-up days.
Cons
Short breaks sometimes due to business.
Would've been better if the management was better
Carhop (Former Employee) –  Crawfordville, FLAugust 12, 2016
Working at Sonic was fine for the first few months, but as with most other people, I took a vacation over the summer and came back to the most hostile of work places. Certain co-workers weren't held to certain standards while others had extra standards. The management was unprofessional. The hardest part was dealing with the constant stress of a poorly run work environment. The best part was the free drinks and the experience gained.
Pros
Free drinks, lots of experience
Cons
Poor management, unsatisfactory workplace conditions
Fun, fast paced environment, friendly helpful staff
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 15, 2016
I worked for sonic off and on for 8 years, it was one of the most rewarding places to work, I started as a car hop and worked my way through the positions until I got management, I loved working there, aside from working more than I was off it was a great place to be! There is so much I can say about sonic but honestly it's not for everyone, you have to be able to handle stress and know how to multitask, or atleast be a fast learner! If you want a positive, fast paced environment, sonic is definitely the way to go!
Fun job with good advancement opportunities
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Pace, FLAugust 15, 2016
Sonic was a fun job for many reasons. The carhops are on skates so they were always doing little tricks or trying to beat the other carhops speed. I enjoyed the music because it not only plays outside of the store but it also plays inside.
I learned too many things to list with this company.
Management was alright but my district manager was less interested in my store than I would have liked him to be.
Working under stress is probably the worst thing about this job because of how busy it gets in a very short amount of time.
I enjoyed to many things to list with this company
Great workplace
Carhop/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work would be communication with other coworkers sometimes fun conversations, attending to a customers need, fixing a problem and always cleaning. I learned responsibility, how to speak to customers politely and respectfully even if they were not doing the same back, and learned how to count back money and give the right amount of change so I won't be short by the end of the day. I was well respected by my managers, I got along with them very well and never had any problems with them. Hardest part of the job was our back to back rushes but that is what made it also enjoyable.
Pros
30 minute breaks
Cons
Fast paced
its a good place to work ,just the benefits are not good and takes alot of your family life
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 19, 2016
I do look forward to coming to work everyday ,knowing that my employees look up to me as support and maintaining a positive atmosphere in the workplace.I can say the hardest part of the job is the weather elements.When its hot,its hot ,when cold ,its cold.I love serving customers and meeting new customers everyday and knowing if they had a bad day,I can make them feel better.
Pros
inside family work environment
Cons
vacations or not always guarantee
Productive and fun workplace especially as a first job.
Skating Carhop (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 17, 2016
Examine trays to ensure that they contain required items. Place food servings on trays according to orders or instructions. Monitor food distribution, ensuring that meals are delivered to the correct recipients. Management is very attentive to their job and very easy to get along with. My co-workers are very friendly and happy and easy to work with. The hardest part of my job is being out in the heat. My most enjoyable part of my job is roller skating and interacting with the public.
Pros
Roller skating
Cons
One 30 minute break and not making good money, such as tips.
Taking customers orders and providing fast and efficient service
Carhop (Former Employee) –  Grain Valley, MOAugust 17, 2016
Working here a second time was actually a different experience from the first time. I worked opening shifts instead of closing and had to be there at five forty-five in the morning and work anywhere from 8-10 hour shifts. I would open and be the only carhop there until lunch time. I would help with taking the orders, making the drinks, sacking the food up, taking the order out to the customer, collecting payment, and even help with cooking. I was not hired to cook, but I enjoyed going back and helping out because I love working with food.
Cool place to work with good pay
Hourly Employee (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 17, 2016
A typical work day was racing to get out an order in a timely fashion, but working alongside my co-workers, we often had a good time. I learned that everything doesn't have to be perfect, and that you have to trust your team members to do their delegated job and focus on your own. Management was pretty relaxed, but they were also working, taking care of business as necessary. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the fast paced environment. As a car-hop, I'd say the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, tips add up, chill customers, many things to do
Cons
Fast paced
Expectations of herculean purportion
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Centerville, UTJuly 13, 2016
The management team turned over at least a half-dozen times during my employment with fewer advancements then new hires getting the more desirable positions. I was a diligent and respectable worker by the count of my manager and still when the time came for advancement I felt that I was overlooked despite all that I had done my time their and so on.
Pros
Employee discount, free drinks, occational shakes
Cons
Brakes are inconsistent, long hours, high expectations, and few consistant coworkers
Fun workplace good customers
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Thomasville, ALJuly 19, 2016
Some days were busy at Sonic Drive-In and some days wasn't busy at all. You have to have patience to work at fast foods places. Some of my coworkers was real nice but some was very rude. That's what i did not like a Sonic. The mangers was rude at times. The hardest part of the job was when we got a lot of customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is was when all the co workers was getting along good and was happy.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Good environment and fun work but you had to be quick to make job expectations
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJuly 19, 2016
I liked it it was a good place to work , just the pay is low . Not much tips is giving since I was working inside but when a lot of people would come I had to go outside give orders and since one of the other had to put they were checking that order of they would of give tips I had to give it to them
Pros
You get to choose where you wanna work after 2 weeks of being a drink maker
Cons
Low pay, no insurances
had event days
crew member (Former Employee) –  Choctaw, OKJuly 8, 2016
liked the people that i worked with but the boss is two faced will lie lie lie just to help herself she has methods that dont work she is cheap everything in the store is falling apart pieces that were broke for months before i started never got new equipment had employees fixing the items to use them. we only clean if an adit is coming its nasty but i got along with everyone really nice but a lot of stuff going on a lot of drama. to worried about themselves then the store they are running.

2.7