Sonny's BBQ Employee Reviews

Fun place to work. We are all like family.
Lead Mixologist (Current Employee) –  Apopka, FLApril 21, 2017
I have worked with Sonn'y BBQ for the last 11 years and the company, management and staff members have become family to me. While it will be sad to leave, I am looking to begin my career.
Great staff & manager very friendly and loving
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 19, 2017
It's a great job loved my employees & loved the food managers were pretty nice and cool. Very understanding also doesn't out to much over your shoulder letting you know that you are still himam.
Pros
The food
Cons
No hours
fun place to work
Server/Manager (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAApril 16, 2017
everyone worked hard and got along. busy company, good money. our manager was loud and sexist. we stayed busy all the time and worked alot of hours. the most enjoyable part was all the friends I make in the process.
Pros
friends, money
Cons
mean management
Stressful and competitive
Host (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLApril 5, 2017
Typical Day:Stressful and competitive
Management: competitive
Hardest: doing everyone's job and yours
Enjoyable: meeting new people and seeing smiling faces
Fast paced fun workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FLApril 2, 2017
Sonny's BBQ is a fast paced environment. The managers are top notch. They are very helpful and friendly. Learn about different cuts of meat, how they are prepared and served. Wonderful place to work.
Good money not so great environment
Sever (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLMarch 31, 2017
The management and owners were very one sided. They played favoritism and it showed in the work environment. Many of them were not willing to get on the same level as the staff when help was needed.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Great work environment with little benefits and no room to move up
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 20, 2017
Sonny's is not a place to work for very long. It's been nice to have a job where the employees are easy to work with and are very good people. Hours are great and the money is good during season. The off season is very slow and its hard to keep up with bills and other necessities. The owner of my store does not offer any benefits. Vacation time is not given, you have to work an average of 35 hours a week for one week paid vacation. There is not much room to move up in the company. I've learned a lot in my position, but i think it is time to move on to something bigger and better that i can enjoy as a career.
Pros
Free meal, good operating hours, wonderful employees
Cons
No benefits, terrible healthcare options, no vacations, no room to move up
Very stressful environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 18, 2017
A typical day is making sure items were put away from night before. Clean the restaurant for start of day. Keep a eye on shortages of food. Providing customer service and making sure they leave happy.
Pros
Cons
Overworked
food industry
FRONT OF HOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bartow, FLMarch 7, 2017
great place too work as a college or high school student. I loved my co-workers however management could use some work. Overall a good work place. pay not so great as it is the food industry.
Great company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Kennedy Space Center, FLMarch 7, 2017
Overall great company, minor cons but there will be anywhere you go. The biggest thing I would have to complain about would be the non willingness to pay the good employees.
Employee friendship seniority
Waitress/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, FLFebruary 27, 2017
Great food , lots of room , family friendly, too much favoritism for lower quality employees . I advanced quick and was called in several times a week and covered shifts while having the need for a sitter for 2 small kids . After 4 mos I became ill with a sinus infection that was gone in 3 days and was terminated for not getting a doctors note. Enjoyed the job and was reliable yet kept on others that never showed up and when they did they didn't work. Their loss.
Pros
Good food good location
Cons
Lazy employees bad managment
Laid back
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 23, 2017
I learned how to prep food for customers and to sanitize all utensils. It wasn't much enjoyable because the way they betray your hours by cutting them.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unprofessional management.
for the time being
Salad Bar/ Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 23, 2017
Doesn't care about there employees, looking to fire, hire and replace .while in the meantime slave you like a dog
don't waste your time.fast pace environment.
Pros
money
Cons
lost of job
great place while Sonny still owned it
Server (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLFebruary 22, 2017
Sonny was an awesome owner, he cared about his employees, they had a retirement plan and vacation pay for all of his employees
Pros
everything
Cons
He sold it
Decent tips
Server (Former Employee) –  Sun City Center, FLFebruary 17, 2017
Decent tips, food at a reasonable price. Very bland and corporate feel to the atmosphere. Not enough opportunity for advancement.
Decent
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 7, 2017
Easy to assimilate, and good management. However the policies could use some adjusting that are affiliated with Tricor. The atmosphere was big on teamwork, cleanliness, and efficiency.
Great job
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 20, 2017
Love the co workers and the management at Sonny's. I can have a bad day at home, But when i think about work and the comfort the job site provides me with. i'am back happy LOL. But overall great exp working with people at Sonny's
excellent
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLJanuary 14, 2017
I enjoyed my 5 years here. Owner cares not only about customers but employees as well. Management is very good as well takes the time to give employees positive feedback. Establishment cares not only about customer's but employees as well
Fun place to work. Feels like home.
Daytime Server (Current Employee) –  Apopka, FLJanuary 11, 2017
I have worked for Sonnys BBQ off and on for 18 years. More on than off. I love this company. I have made many friends along the way. I am very good at what I do. I love talking to people and meeting new people every day. But I also feel comfortable at work and enjoy going because it's like working with a close family.
all ways busy.
Salad Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJanuary 1, 2017
Had to many managers . Equipment not enought. stocke never enought. for the jobs. Managers would rather stand around and talk to the pretty workers.Was never there to help out. If things did not go their way they sent you home early and cut your hrs for the rest of the week. .
Pros
Gave discounts on meals depending on the manager
Cons
breaks depending on manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonny's BBQ. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8