Sonny's BBQ Employee Reviews in United States

Fun co-workers, memerble guess.
Server/Salad Bar (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work can vary. We can have a fun, exciting, crazy good day and other days can be slow and dragging. My co-workers and are easy to get along with, we work well together, we have open communication and we care and look out for each other. I have learned a great deal about meat, the different cuts, rubs and sauces. I love my manager and supervisor, i can talk to them about all most anything, they listen, they don't just brush off what I'm saying, they come up with ways or salutation to solve whatever problems or concerns i have. The hardest part of my job is when i have to do or be in 2 or 3 different places at one time. If i could grow a extra par of hands to get it all don, i would, but we all ways mange to come together and get the job done. The most enjoyable part of my job is when guess leave happy and satisfied. Just to know that i helped to make there day bitter and put a smile on there face it so and well worth it.
I loved working here!
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 11, 2016
I had a great time working for sonnys and it is a place i would recommend! Id say overall, great place to work. Management could be trained a little better.
Productive place with a somewhat friendly environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 10, 2016
If you like to work a lot, it's easy to take other people shift, because they're always releasing them. Management is okay, could be a whole lot better, I feel like you should be able to talk to your managers about anything, but that's not the case.
Pros
Free meal before your shift
Cons
no breaks, and can be unorganized
Great job while working with co-workers, no advancement in company
COOK/EXPO/DISHWASHER (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FLMarch 28, 2016
hard work goes without notice, managers only care about their big bonus at the end of the year. i loved the people i worked with they made the job worth wild. felt like family.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
managers, going unnoticed
great community and satisfying job
SERVER - CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 12, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is to see my guests happy when they are there and when they leave. The food business is hard especially for the servers. Working at sonny's has given me a new perspective of customer service. Its taught me to appreciate all kind words and genuine people, also my work ethic has grown tremendously over the years. A typical day at sonny's is pretty busy. We have maybe a pretty good crew there to help get us through the hustle and bustle and have had many good people come and go. Our regulars are the best and they are very interesting people, our customer base is pretty diverse. Everybody loves good BBQ. We are all like family which is kind of the hardest part. Our management is pretty diverse in their way of leading which is what we need. Our crew is very different and we all have a manager that fits us best.
Poor Managment
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ft. Pierce, FLNovember 9, 2015
The store manager did not know how to run the business, the management and staff would rather smoke or be on cell phones than work.
Fun work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCApril 24, 2016
Stocking, handling money, serving customers, managing money.
Fun work environment, nice co-workers.
Great managers.
Easy to learn computer system.
Hour long breaks.
Pros
Half price food, flexible hours
a family owned and managed. employees close
Floor Manager/server (Former Employee) –  Kingsland, GANovember 16, 2015
set up the work station before opening. learned to let some things roll off my back. co-workers, at times, very rude and loud during work hours. the hardest part of the job was having my schedule changed without knowing, and the most enjoyable was seeing all my regular customers on a daily bases.
Pros
half price meals and closed on thanksgiving and easter and christmas
Cons
working a split shift and changes in schedules without asking
Fun work place.
Server (Current Employee) –  The Villages, FLAugust 13, 2015
A typical day is fun with my coworkers. It is usually slow and I am not their long because of lack of business. I have customers who will come in to see me. The management team is good and easy to work with and get along with. Their isn't anything hard about this job. The most enjoyable part is my customers. I have been working in the Villages a long time and have a lot of regulars.
Great salad brand excellent ribs.
Shift Manager/Wait and Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAJanuary 19, 2016
The day was rough because business was going on heavy sometimes or if down time was hard to know what was going on because advice was short but once you communicated all was a plus.I enjoyed the customers and their conversations.
Pros
Everyone was a star.

Want to know more about Sonny's BBQ?

Ask a question
Great place to work.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 5, 2016
Sonny's was an amazing place to work. Very few problems working for this company. Very high volume store. Customers have been going there for years.
Cons
New G.M. had favortisum
Fun people
FLOOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMarch 17, 2016
Sonnys is a great first job good people laid back environment side work is some of the easiest in the industry not the most money youll ever make but a great place to get experiance
Pros
people
Cons
slow
A fun, and casual work place that treat everyone like family
Manager (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJanuary 18, 2015
A typical day includes planning for shift, successful communication between managers and staff, assigning and meeting daily goals, observing health department related rules and regulations, ensure and enforce product safety guidelines, interviewing- training staff as necessary, interacting with guest and staff through out the day, cash control, food preparation, and controlling of other financials like labor cost and food cost, conducting inventory as necessary, and finally- dealing with vendors and ordering of necessary products.
Pros
great food and advancement opportunity, achievable bonus program
Cons
excessive work politics and a lack of solid human resource department
Sonny's BBQ
Cashier, Hostess, and Expo (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLFebruary 18, 2016
I really enjoy working at Sonny's. I love my managers, most co-workers, and although you may run into issues, the employers around you will help you out regardless of the situation.
The atmosphere and the food was awesome.
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 18, 2016
The hardest part of the day was not buying and bringing home their food. The best part was seeing the regulars and enjoying the day.
Hectic but productive place to work.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 16, 2015
working at sonny's has its ups and downs like all jobs, but it is a pretty good place to work.
its a good job to have if you are in school, because it gives you time to both work and maintain a good school schedule.
Responsible for proper management of team as well as product
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJuly 27, 2015
My typical day consist of running a shift to company standards meaning maintain appropriate labor as well as meat variants. I was responsible for maintaining a positive atmosphere among guest and employees. I have been responsible for employee scheduling which in a restaurant means knowing your team and how best to schedule them to best benefit your business. The most enjoyable part of my job was building a team which you can see grow not only through cohesion but through the ability encompass more responsibility using less time and less people. The hardest part of my job was attempting to generate more sales in a low volume store the only way I was able to supplement an increase is sales was the increase in catering by taking a firm stance on community involvement.
Pros
The main pro with Sonnys was a closing time never later then 10:00pm
Cons
Umfair labor goals
Server
Cashier/Waitress (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, FLDecember 28, 2015
A typical day at Sonny's BBQ would be serving a few parties at one time and making sure you give the best service possible to guest.
Wonderfully staffed with employment who does not fear labor.
Cook (Current Employee) –  1380 E. Boone Avenue, Kingsland, GA 31548November 17, 2014
I came to Sonny's after my time with Zaxbys and fell in love with the organizational culture shortly afterwards. The cooks were great and the servers were wonderful, management worked hard and showed nothing but compassion for their employees. They accommodated my schedule accordingly and gladly rearranged any mishaps that may have occurred. I gladly encourage anybody who may be interested in working at Sonny's to apply as long as they are capable of carrying their fair share with a positive attitude.
great place to start my casual dining management career
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 9, 2015
great focus on guest satisfaction. team building atmosphere. the focus on the quality of food from receiving as a raw product to the plate presentation.