Sonoco Employee Reviews in United States

Sonoco
Operator (Former Employee) –  Wapato, WAMay 4, 2016
every other week i would start at 5:30 AM to get production lines ready to go by 6:00 AM. this task would be rotational between myself and another Operator. Out of two Production lines i was Lead Operator of Line One. I've learned doing this position how to change diameters on Packaging cans and grow with my production line co workers to maximize production and quality.
Pros
Co-workers, hours, Safety levels
Cons
recent relocation out of state; i was going to retire there
Wages and ideals stuck in the late 80's
Infusion Associate (Temporary Associate) (Current Employee) –  Union, SCFebruary 9, 2016
Temporary associates are tasked with the majority of work. The full time associates are very helpful and make sure you don't fall to far behind. Typical work week is 7 days. Not the hardest job but moves at a very quick pace and the wages are rather low.
Pros
climate controled
Cons
Short breaks, low wages, lack of growth potential
good
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 11, 2016
i really enjoy working there. the work was very easy to do. you wasnt over work but was sure to have lots of work. it was a nice work place and the workers were nice and quick to help if help was needed.the hard part of the job is when the scrap ben would get full and it had to move by hand it was very heavy to do. the good part avout the job was that your lunch would be paid for and the shift time.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
so far out
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs COMay 17, 2016
I have worked at Sonoco for the past 28 years and just recently retired. Good People work there and I will miss them. The benefits are good and you get holidays and weekends off.
strict
floorsperson (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MIMarch 31, 2016
they would not let you talk and work at the same time if you are at work you are suppose to do your work and nothing else. i mean i love working their cause i just love doing factory work i am a very energized and socialable person i just did not like the management their.
shipping supervisor
Shipping Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GAApril 5, 2016
This was a great place to work. The people are good, and the job was good. The only reason I left was because there was no room to move up. I would go back in a heart beat.
Nice Place to work
Purchaser/Buyer- Machinery Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Hartsville, SCApril 9, 2016
Sonocoo is a great place to work, great people, great environement and great compensation, would recommend anyone to apply for a job here
Great training for my future in leadership
Line Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cinnaminson, NJSeptember 9, 2015
Basically it was training for working as part of a team. Assigned a line and asked to run it over a 10 hour shift. Company employees were an excellent group of people, we worked with temps from Accu-Temp staffing. Did everything from build store displays to working with contact lenses and compact discs.
Pros
Recieved alot of free product.
Cons
Management was not always professional
Learning Experience
Printing Press Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 4, 2016
As my first "real job" I learned how to work in a professional environment and respect procedures and safety.

It was a fast paced goal oriented workplace.
Productive and good work place to learn a lot about setting up and working with saws.
Saw Man (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALSeptember 17, 2015
Learned a lot about saws and setting up the assembly line machine and other mechanical jobs. Loved the management and other employees that was on each line.
Pros
everyone was fun and cut up all the time.
Cons
working night shift till 1am was the con but I ended up enjoying working that shift.

Want to know more about Sonoco?

Ask a question
Decent company with very limited chance of promotion and rotating shift work.
Paper Machine Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJuly 14, 2015
Sonoco is a decent company to work for with in the Hutchinson area. However it is has weekly rotating shift hours which makes daily adjustment for sleep cycles difficult at time. Also, it is very limited in the ability of a person to advance or get promoted as it is completely based off of seniority.

Things I did enjoy about the job was that many of the Supervisors new I had previous Quality and Safety Management and were open to suggestions even with being they lowest seniority with in the company.
Pros
Company Luncheons
Cons
No scheduled break time
not a bad place to work about average
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Elon, NCNovember 5, 2015
good pay cant argue. just a job for me to get by until i finish school. but overall pretty good place to work many people actually retire with this company
good place to work
Packer/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Tullahoma, TNSeptember 14, 2015
Very fast paced. Climate is very hot, working with hot water and steam. Most management very friendly. I did wish better benefits were offered and management would have not chnged. I do believe the company changed hands.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
very hot
Great organization
Senior marketing representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 30, 2015
Sonoco was a great organization to work for because of the people hired to run management and sales. Employees were encourage and empowered to offer positive as well as, negative comments.
Employees were also empowered to help with new software and be a part of major decision within our department.
Pros
great
Cons
sonoco was a good place to work for at times
section leader/ supervisor (Former Employee) –  hartselleMay 28, 2015
a typical day at work, I would come in to my office check the schedual then make cards out and make out our run sheets, then get on the forklift and bring up the lumber that we were going to need to start. after that I supervised my men and did safety audits, quality audits, and hot spot audits, but I never sacrificed safety for quanity, my employees well being were my top priority, in fact they would actually come into my office and tell me things like "my wife just left" and things like that so I had the respect of my men and I showed them respect as well.
Pros
you could move up quicly if you were ambitious
Cons
we did not get paid for lunches
The momement I chose a career
Welder/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hartselle, ALMay 27, 2015
My job was hard but simple. I operated a shearing machine and a rolling machine. Always had sufficient help. Although mostly I operated machines. This is the company where I learned to weld, and decided to go to school and get certified. It was a kind of small facility therefore everyone knew everyone, a brotherhood of sorts. There was never a guess of what time we ended our day, leaving enough time in the evenings to handle personal business
Pros
Safety bonuses, Excellant benefits
Cons
A very dangerous job
Challenging and fun place to work.
Mig Welder (Former Employee) –  Hartselle, ALMay 1, 2015
The day usually starts soon as the buzzer goes off. Check production sheets to find out whats on the agenda for the day. Materials were usually in position for "one" to start. Make sure welders were to acceptable conditions as well. Once all materials accounted for, welding starts and materials are usually pre-cut but re-checking them for reassurance is a must! Most jobs are done in teams, but seldomly you work alone.
Pros
It's a place that you can learn a lot from different people in the field.
really racist
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 8, 2015
I loved the job and pay but people there are really out to get you. other than that everything else is really easy and great pay.
Cons
short breaks
Good people, good company, boring job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Berthoud, COApril 6, 2015
I worked in the tube and core industry as part of Sonoco. I was hired as a temp and just worked for the summers. The people I worked with were great and the production manager was a great guy. It was just another factory job though. Boring work, long days. The pay was pretty good for still being in school. The retention rate of employees was pretty good. Most of the workers had been there over 10 years. Not a bad temporary position. Definitely don't want to get stuck in factory work for the rest of my life though.
Pros
Good workers, good pay
Cons
Short breaks, corporate, lots of safety rules
good company
maintenanc (Current Employee) –  findllay ohioSeptember 3, 2015
for a factory it dosent get much better
a lot of safety rules but pretty laid back and great benefits
everyone gets along and tries to help eachother