Sonoco Employee Reviews

Wages and ideals stuck in the late 80's
Infusion Associate (Temporary Associate) (Current Employee) –  Union, SCFebruary 9, 2016
Temporary associates are tasked with the majority of work. The full time associates are very helpful and make sure you don't fall to far behind. Typical work week is 7 days. Not the hardest job but moves at a very quick pace and the wages are rather low.
Pros
climate controled
Cons
Short breaks, low wages, lack of growth potential
good
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 11, 2016
i really enjoy working there. the work was very easy to do. you wasnt over work but was sure to have lots of work. it was a nice work place and the workers were nice and quick to help if help was needed.the hard part of the job is when the scrap ben would get full and it had to move by hand it was very heavy to do. the good part avout the job was that your lunch would be paid for and the shift time.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
so far out
Learning Experience
Printing Press Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 4, 2016
As my first "real job" I learned how to work in a professional environment and respect procedures and safety.

It was a fast paced goal oriented workplace.
not a bad place to work about average
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Elon, NCNovember 5, 2015
good pay cant argue. just a job for me to get by until i finish school. but overall pretty good place to work many people actually retire with this company
Productive and good work place to learn a lot about setting up and working with saws.
Saw Man (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALSeptember 17, 2015
Learned a lot about saws and setting up the assembly line machine and other mechanical jobs. Loved the management and other employees that was on each line.
Pros
everyone was fun and cut up all the time.
Cons
working night shift till 1am was the con but I ended up enjoying working that shift.
good place to work
Packer/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Tullahoma, TNSeptember 14, 2015
Very fast paced. Climate is very hot, working with hot water and steam. Most management very friendly. I did wish better benefits were offered and management would have not chnged. I do believe the company changed hands.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
very hot
Great training for my future in leadership
Line Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cinnaminson, NJSeptember 9, 2015
Basically it was training for working as part of a team. Assigned a line and asked to run it over a 10 hour shift. Company employees were an excellent group of people, we worked with temps from Accu-Temp staffing. Did everything from build store displays to working with contact lenses and compact discs.
Pros
Recieved alot of free product.
Cons
Management was not always professional
really racist
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 8, 2015
I loved the job and pay but people there are really out to get you. other than that everything else is really easy and great pay.
Cons
short breaks
good company
maintenanc (Current Employee) –  findllay ohioSeptember 3, 2015
for a factory it dosent get much better
a lot of safety rules but pretty laid back and great benefits
everyone gets along and tries to help eachother
Great organization
Senior marketing representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 30, 2015
Sonoco was a great organization to work for because of the people hired to run management and sales. Employees were encourage and empowered to offer positive as well as, negative comments.
Employees were also empowered to help with new software and be a part of major decision within our department.
Pros
great
great
customer service and retail services (Former Employee) –  Hartselle, ALJuly 23, 2015
a great work place for anyone nice and friendly people . working for this company was a great experience it showed me a lot about production.
Decent company with very limited chance of promotion and rotating shift work.
Paper Machine Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJuly 14, 2015
Sonoco is a decent company to work for with in the Hutchinson area. However it is has weekly rotating shift hours which makes daily adjustment for sleep cycles difficult at time. Also, it is very limited in the ability of a person to advance or get promoted as it is completely based off of seniority.

Things I did enjoy about the job was that many of the Supervisors new I had previous Quality and Safety Management and were open to suggestions even with being they lowest seniority with in the company.
Pros
Company Luncheons
Cons
No scheduled break time
Good working condition
Chief Steward (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAJuly 1, 2015
My mission is to provide the customers the best service and hospitality on the job site with safety as the focus of every task me and my crew perform.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Good benefits
worst company I've ever worked for!
Core Cutter (Former Employee) –  Canton, NCJune 30, 2015
I worked at Sonoco for a year and a half. The management was awful, everything was always breaking or falling apart due to faulty equipment. Manager was almost always late, yet employees couldn't even be 1 minute late or else it counted as a quarter of an absence. The coworkers of mine were a joke, lazy and good for nothing. I was motivated to work hard for over a year, gave the place 110%, kept trying to get a lead position and learned how to do the leads job, even filled in for leads several times but manager never would move me up. My newborn son died while working for this company and when I came back in from FMLA leave the manager suspended me for being 3 minutes late the day before my son died and I was only late because I was giving a coworker a ride because he had lost his license. Then after my son dying and serving my 3 day suspension and after venting to a coworker about the company suspending me during that time the coworker goes and tells the manager I was talking bad about the manager and 5 minutes after clocking in from my suspension the manager is trying to suspend me again for "talking bad" about him. I told him I was having a hard time and was mad at everything at the time, he said there was no excuse for talking poorly about Sonoco. I quit and would never recommend this sorry excuse of a company to anyone. A complete joke. I'd take McDonald's over Sonoco, at least they will promote those who go above their job description.
Pros
Cons
everything
40 hours
Press Make Ready (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 12, 2015
given 40 hours a week.
offered OT.
Switched Shifts
Fully staffed often
small company
everyone is well known throughout the business
Fun to work there
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hartselle, ALJune 2, 2015
Liked working witht the team that I had to work with. Management was good, benefits could've been better, but overall it was smooth and productive. I liked it.
sonoco was a good place to work for at times
section leader/ supervisor (Former Employee) –  hartselleMay 28, 2015
a typical day at work, I would come in to my office check the schedual then make cards out and make out our run sheets, then get on the forklift and bring up the lumber that we were going to need to start. after that I supervised my men and did safety audits, quality audits, and hot spot audits, but I never sacrificed safety for quanity, my employees well being were my top priority, in fact they would actually come into my office and tell me things like "my wife just left" and things like that so I had the respect of my men and I showed them respect as well.
Pros
you could move up quicly if you were ambitious
Cons
we did not get paid for lunches
The momement I chose a career
Welder/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hartselle, ALMay 27, 2015
My job was hard but simple. I operated a shearing machine and a rolling machine. Always had sufficient help. Although mostly I operated machines. This is the company where I learned to weld, and decided to go to school and get certified. It was a kind of small facility therefore everyone knew everyone, a brotherhood of sorts. There was never a guess of what time we ended our day, leaving enough time in the evenings to handle personal business
Pros
Safety bonuses, Excellant benefits
Cons
A very dangerous job
it was a good job to be.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  in ayer MAMay 18, 2015
I starte as temp in this company in lest the a year a was working full time i started front the ground and became a machine operator work for 2 year and move to the warehouse.
Cons
good health care
Challenging and fun place to work.
Mig Welder (Former Employee) –  Hartselle, ALMay 1, 2015
The day usually starts soon as the buzzer goes off. Check production sheets to find out whats on the agenda for the day. Materials were usually in position for "one" to start. Make sure welders were to acceptable conditions as well. Once all materials accounted for, welding starts and materials are usually pre-cut but re-checking them for reassurance is a must! Most jobs are done in teams, but seldomly you work alone.
Pros
It's a place that you can learn a lot from different people in the field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonoco. Our community is ready to answer.