Sonoco Employee Reviews

A good company with little advancement opportunities
Account Manager/National Accounts (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2017
Family type company but my division, tube and cores was part of a declining market. As a result, division was getting smaller and not a good area for a recent college graduate to start out in.
hot
Saw Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74146September 12, 2017
it used to be fun then new management how to work in teams working with my team new supervisor puts people it risk.how to work in a fast paced environment
Very fast paced
Production Lead Person (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCSeptember 7, 2017
Although the company did pay well as far as the base pay, they were always cutting production rates as fast as you could achieve more production quantities
Maintenance/mold setting (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSSeptember 6, 2017
My job was mold setting and maintenance. We were to take apart the Press operating machines and exchange the molds for production. It was a very hot and dirty job but very good.
Pros
Free hydration drinks
Cons
Too much overtime
Room to Grow
Plant Quality Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, NJ 08810September 5, 2017
Great people, great atmosphere and room to grow and advance if you are willing to relocate out of state to another plant. The culture is great but relocation is required to get ahead.
No coment
Shipping / Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Berthoud, COSeptember 1, 2017
Tough place to work .You will work for your money. They tend to make choices that do not always make sense.Closing plants that are making money. But not ones that are losing money.
Pros
Over all I made a good life. local management very good.
Cons
Would not recommend you count on them for caring about employees .
great workplace and wonderful safety program
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILAugust 31, 2017
the environment is great, management is very reasonable, the speed was a bit too fast for me, but the work was easy to grasp and understand, generally it was a great place too work, I just couldn't keep up with the overtime.
Pros
safety is always number one with sonoco
Cons
lots of overtime can were you out
Okay for a short time
Line Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rural Hall, NCAugust 29, 2017
The problem with Sonoco Display and Packaging is that they care nothing for the temporary line workers that work at the plant. In addition there is heavy favoritism for a specific couple people and anyone who doesn't agree with every word the managers have to say is wrong. There is no reward for a job well done, I spent over a year with them, did some specialized work for them and as soon as that was done I got told by my temp agency that they had canceled my contract.
Cons
Awful management, company is rapidly losing business.
Inventory coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waynesville, NCAugust 29, 2017
I was given my first promotion within a year and a half of working here. I really enjoy the people and enjoy that the company does seem to legitimately care about there employees. The days safe record at the plant I work in is unreal at almost 1000 days safe. I really enjoy my job and feel as though I have plenty of room to grow in this company.
Pros
Calm working invirenment
Cons
its hot on the production floor
Very Stressful
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hartselle, AL 35640August 28, 2017
This was a good company to get started with but over the years I had work extremely hard (because I am a female) to work my way up. They pay was alright but getting anymore pay would require more abilites and these abilites were not offered. This is a very stressful place to work and alot of hours.
Pros
Loved the employees I worked with
Cons
Extremely Stressful
Very challenging place to work
Recycled Materials Sorter (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 25, 2017
Hot environment, bad smells frequently throughout the day, sorting through trash & required to work quickly & efficiently as if you have years of experience after only being employed 2 weeks
Job could be challenging, culture and management destroy the atmosphere
Prepress (Current Employee) –  Charlotte/Cincinnati/MexicoAugust 24, 2017
If you like being involved with Cliques, you will be rewarded. Simply working hard and doing your job helping out others will get you no where with this company. Focus is on anything but work and standards of accountability only apply to those who are outside the clique.

Management is slow to act and not open and receptive to employees when they speak up about issues and desires to grow.

The hardest part of the job is tolerating many that don't do their job, Management being passive to issues and getting no support from management. This creates unneeded stress and frustration making it difficult to perform the job. Worst of all management is not honest and forthcoming. Management is divided and not consistent.

The enjoyable part of the job is the work itself. Remove all the redcap and bad structure and the job is rather fun and challenging. Micromanagement and red tape kill most of that.
Pros
Pay and if you are in a clique... you can do whatever you want. Including sleeping at your desk.
Cons
Cliques, passive management. Micro management, lack of real accountability.
Good work life balance but declining opportunities
U. S. Market Sales & Segment Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 23, 2017
Good work life balance, flexible schedule, but opportunities for advancement are declining due to serving mature markets.

Financially stable company with good benefits
Good place to work.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAAugust 14, 2017
Alot of long time employees that are willing to help make you a better employee and help you get ready for advancement. Safety is very important part of working at sonoco.
Pros
Easy advancement to higher paying jobs
Cons
Healthcare. No sick days lucky to get holidays off.
Excelente place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Chayanne n.y.August 14, 2017
I love sonoco the best job i Ever had wonderfull place i wish i has the to work again for this company. I really miss my partners my BOSS , sonoco is a decente place to work.
Pros
Free lunch
Good place to get work experience
Line 1Tacker (Current Employee) –  Hartselle, ALAugust 13, 2017
Sonoco is a work place to get your experience started. However, in this plant it is hard to advance. Some of the managers are not willing to train or help in advancement.
Great place to work.
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rural Hall, NCAugust 12, 2017
This is a great place to work the people are friendly and helpful. The benefits are good. plenty Vacation days and all major holidays are observed. They are focus on safety.
overall i hated it but it was tolerable
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MIAugust 9, 2017
no one knows what there doing everyone will tell you something different to the same question. you cant request time off until your 90days is up. what about my kids appointments? what about taking my animals to the vet? you have to call in and say your sick (one of the hr ladys told me this)
Not my cup of tea.
Ink formulator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh IndianaAugust 9, 2017
While I was at Sunoco for almost 11 years it did provide my family with stability and a paycheck with decent insurance but it got to the point that I no longer could tolerate management and their extremely bad decisions!!!
Lead Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Social Circle, GAAugust 8, 2017
Great place to work. When its slow its very slow, and when its busy its seven days a week for three to four months. Management is great very easy going and great to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonoco. Our community is ready to answer.