Sonora Quest Laboratories Employee Reviews

Excellent Laboratory company overall
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 12, 2017
Very well run clinical laboratory in the Arizona area. Good pay, benefits, job culture, facilities, etc. Some of the management is entrenched (even corrupt) however and their communication is infrequent at best, and only when it is in the interests of the management to the lowly hourly employees. But good place overall.
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits, nice facilities
Cons
borderline corrupt/entrenched management
Great people, poor pay
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJune 1, 2017
The job is stressful by nature but particularly stressful due to staffing issues which often would result in as little as two people at the patient site and sometimes wait times as much as 3 hours.

The pay, was pitiful, considering the stress, long hours, responsibility and training required. However, the benefits, particularly the time off were good. I loved the people I worked with including my lead, they were kind and supportive and helpful.
Pros
Generous vacation time, enjoyed working with fellow phlebotomists
Cons
underpaid, stressful, not always easy to get time off, frequently understaffed resulting in upset patients and long wait times
Do not expect job security
Specimen Preparation Technician (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 1, 2017
I experienced a ton of REQUIRED overtime, no exceptions. Management ignored 'social issues' within the dept. and when I decided HR needed to be involved, i was fired.
not that great.
Specimen processing coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 14, 2017
I don't really enjoy working in processing anymore. I would like to do something more challenging and fun. I will continue to look for new job opportunities.
Simple job. Stress Free
Medical Specimen Courier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 13, 2017
I worked for a courier company and we were contracted to deliver specimens for Sonora Quest. The job was simple, very easy to execute. You have to be prompt and have a knack for being on time.
Not that great of a company to work for
Phlebotomy Technician I (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 12, 2017
Overall horrible place to work, unprofessional supervisors, they discriminate against minorities be it either by race or whatever, Also the pay is HORRIBLE!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything!
Stable job but senior leadership involvement is lacking
Technical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 2, 2017
Repetitive work with limited opportunities for advancement.
Days are long and boring with little professional growth.
Sales and marketing not bringing in new clients.
High Volume, High Stress Job
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 26, 2017
Very stressful environment to work in. High demand for little reward. Management needs to be replaced as well as policy change. However, great coworkers.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2017
They will not let you have more then 40 hours a week. If you stay after a hour they have you come in the next day then leave for a hour. Sometimes a 3 hr lunch
Pros
Was close to my house
It's a j-o-b
MLT (ASCP) (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 24, 2017
It's is a good place to work. They offer competitive wages and have a good benefit package. They have a professional environment and good working conditions.
Pros
Paid bi-weekly, on time as scheduled
Cons
Not much flexibility with schedule
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 5, 2017
They are very fair to their interns and I would recommend them to anyone in the state or anyone willing to locate to Arizona. They keep a clean environment also.
Patience is key to finding the right position. Choose the location wisely.
Phlebotomist Technician - float (Current Employee) –  Maricopa, AZMarch 12, 2017
Can be an excellent place to work under the right circumstances. Finding the right center to work in is key. Do your research into line of management before committing to one location.
Pros
Ability to travel
Cons
Lack of breaks, micro management
I loved working for Sonora Quest
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 3, 2017
I love being able to work from home. My typing speed increased immensely while working at Sonora Quest. I received several raises for my work and they always made me feel appreciated.
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Challenging workplace
Submissions Processor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 1, 2017
While working there, I felt like a routine was almost mandatory. Really focused on obtaining their quota, strong challenges.
Pros
Challenging as far as obtaining your numbers
Cons
Advancement requires alot of patience to obtain, room for growth is scarce
Fun, supportive and high paced.
Submissions Processor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 1, 2017
I loved working at Sonora Quest. They support their employees in anyway they can and never fall short of providing options for changes. Their benefits are GREAT!
There are better companies to work for
Clinical Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 16, 2017
My experience at Sonora, to say the least, was trying. I won't go into too much detail, I'll just give you the highlights of my time there. I started as a Phlebotomist at one of their patient service centers. This is a very busy place where anyone and everyone can show up for a blood draw. I was there for only 13 months and in that 13 months, three employees left (I don't blame them). The problem was we were severely short-staffed and people we waiting up to 2 hours just have their blood drawn. Needless to say, I moved on.

After that ordeal, I moved to the main laboratory in Tempe, thinking that I would like that more. Although it was interesting, the management was and still is egregious. They treat their employees like children and create a culture of fear. Fear of losing your job at any moment. I can tell you from experience that instilling fear in your employees not only is bad management; you also lose trust with your employees. Just because someone is naturally bossy, does NOT mean that they are qualified to be in charge.

So the three things that you need to take from this is poor management, fear-based culture, and low morale equal bad company. So please consider other options before you apply to Sonora. I wish you the best!
Pros
Benefits/PTO
Cons
Management, culture, job security
Provide the right tools to perform the job fast and efficiently.
Phlebotomy Tech I (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AzFebruary 14, 2017
I have learned great time managment, and leadership skills. The company values their employees and provide an environment that allows for growth and education.
Efficient and Secure place to work.
Specimen Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2017
Sonora Quest Laboratories specimen processing technicians are required to undergo a six month training program where they learn the ins and outs of the different kind of tests run at the lab, the different kind of biological samples you'll be working with, and the containers in which everything goes. It is no simple task and requires a lot of memorization of different codes to become truly efficient at your job. You are required to produce an output of 28 requisitions (written documents from different doctors offices typed and input to our systems) as well as allocate the different specimen to the appropriate containers and labeled accordingly. You should come in, don your personal protective equipment and be at your computer ready to work 5 minutes before your scheduled shift and be prepared to also take calls from different offices who might have questions regarding tests they need run, whether it be trouble shooting or adding on additional tests. I learned how to overcome mistakes your team might make and calming down a client by explaining to them how you're going to fix the error to assure they have nothing to worry about. Although talking is frowned upon as they want your full focus on the task at hand, it doesn't make for an unagreeable environment. The hardest part of the job isn't even in the job itself so much as it is the hour to hour and a half commute through traffic to get there. I do enjoy having a competitive nature aspect to the job as our accomplishments are listed on the board every week and to see that I am usually in the top 5 producers makes me feel  more... proud to be a helpful employee.  less
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Long commute
Not a bad place to work
Specimen Processor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 20, 2017
I've worked here for years, and there was a problem with bad management, but in recent years it's been excellent. There's a ridiculously high turnover rate, a lot of new trainees stop showing up or get fired. During busy seasons, supervisors expect a lot of overtime from everyone. It's really a great environment and great people. It's loud, but you're allowed to listen to music your whole shift. There are specific hourly and daily goals that are expected to be met. There's anywhere from 50-60 people working at a time on night shifts, so there's always someone to get along with. Everyone for the most part gets along. Only cons are that inexperienced employees get promoted too quickly which results in poorly trained new employees, and that the busy/slow seasons range from working an extra hour or two a night (and being pressured to work weekends), to being sent home a few hours into your shift.
Pros
Amazing benefits, managers are very committed to your success
Cons
Low pay, forced to use your own PTO hours for holidays and sick days
Good wrok place
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZNovember 7, 2016
Provided daily assistance with disputing Medications and shift supervisor .
Provided assistance in recreational activities, assisted with daily living skills. Measured and documented vital sign, documented all activity into residents file. Assisted with meal times, as well as any additional care to assure a good living environment for patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonora Quest Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval