Sony Computer Entertainment America Employee Reviews

Rewarding
Tier 3 Consumer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 29, 2017
I enjoyed the challenging fast passed environment. If you excelled there was ample room for advancement and your pay was compensated. I also really liked all of my co-workers.
Good
Director of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJuly 11, 2017
Great company with good benefits. Job was fairly good in R&D, enjoyed it most of the time. Some parts of the Japanese culture were not working well (too much discussion and no decision), but overall a great company.
Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 31, 2017
Sony gave me an incredible opportunity in developing original products with sizeable budgets. We had celebrity talents, major brand deal attachments, and ample support resources.
Pros
Great opportunity
Cons
At the time, hardware was prioritized over internal product.
SCEA is great place to work
Senior Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAMarch 31, 2017
I learned a lot at SCEA. The co-workers were fun and supportive. I learned a lot there and was able to advance quickly. The bonus structure was transparent and healthy.
Welcoming team environment that aims high for quality
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMarch 21, 2017
Awesome work environment with managers who encourage and compliment great work. Strict work ethic that leads by examples. Flexible attitude for improvement and welcoming suggestions. You are required to work individually and complete your task on schedule. Great location, great benefit and having your name included in top-selling games are huge plus.
Pros
Great environment, great people
Cons
Busy with lots of responsibilities
Playing the same thing over and over
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Working at sony was my first forray into being a video game tester. I thought it would just be having fun all day long. In reality you sit down in front of a screen and usually test one aspect of the game over and over. There will be times when you actually play through the whole game, but you always have to be on the look out for bugs.
Pros
Plenty of hours and overtime
Cons
No benefits, long hours
Pm/qa?Pr
IT Quality Assurance Test Manager, (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 6, 2016
Great work environment! Very team driven. Most employees enjoy the working together and are very willing and helpful when it come to completing projects. Manage and culture is big on work/life balance. I would recommend this company to others
Great people to work with and an awesome enviornement
Format QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAApril 3, 2016
I had a wonderful experience in my time at SCEA. I took every opportunity to work on interdepartmental projects and learn anything I could in my time there. The people were great, the food was great, and the campus in san mateo was awesome.
Average
Senior Lead QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMarch 22, 2016
There are things I liked and disliked about working at SCEA. They seem to cancel each other out in the end, so I give them an average rating.
Great place to work for
Level I Technician/Business & Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 2, 2016
This company did a lot to help the employees, and give them a lot of hours. They would allow you to work overtime, and other shifts provided the supervisors on that shift didn't mind or needed staff.
Bleeding edge technology
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Utilizing a full IBP and S&OP systems, SCEA is a leader when it comes planning the business. The planning touches all sides of consumer goods, physical, digital and service.
Pros
Exciting video game business.
Political Culture
Creative Services Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAFebruary 15, 2016
Company culture operates as a start up. It grew really fast and upper management has not been able to manage their grow effectively, often promoting people they like and not necessarily based on their efforts and talents.
Pros
Employee discounts, cafeteria, gym.
Cons
Very political which can be a challenge. Tendency to need to belong to clique
Very fun place to work
Video Game tester (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Working int he industry was a dream. i enjoyed the culture and meeting new people who also enjoy this great past time. I would love to get back into computer and console testing as i like playing anything competitive and making sure the product is right!
Pros
Cheap lunch, video games all day and great people
Cons
Was contract work so it was never long term with them
Great Company Culture, Poor Management
HRIS Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CADecember 16, 2015
The company culture is great and so are the perks but the management needs to issue better communication from the top down as well as employee development and leadership training. The company is definitely in the process of improving its staff but I'm not sure if them changes are being implemented as fast as they need to be to maintain a successful and satisfied work group.
Pros
Onsite gym, onsite subsidized cafeteria of local sustainable food, free games, demos, tshirts, promotional items, etc.
Cons
many complaints about management among entire company
productive and vibrant atmosphere with comfy chairs
Tester/Programming (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 4, 2015
A normal day would consist of test playing looking for faults or errors and recording data when an defect would occur. I learned alot about how much is given to every game that gets developed.
Heavy workload, but management tries create a positive culture
Finance (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CANovember 4, 2015
Fast pace, heavy workload, good benefits, fun company culture, opportunities for advancement, great perks, 401k, education expense reimbursement, challenging, demanding
benefits
Cons
heavy workload
Created virtual world from reality.
Capture Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2015
Fun, fast paced work place with top-tier talent and equipment. Every day was different, from the ridiculous to the sublime.
high energy, welcoming, and fun
Operations Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAOctober 15, 2015
Loved working there , great atmosphere , management ok, but over all was a challenge and a nice experience. The perks of the job was probably the best seeing new games that come out and giving your advice on how good the game is overall.
Pros
parking, healthcare, bonus
Cons
laying quality employees off in quantity
Great place to work with plenty of perks
QA Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CASeptember 15, 2015
Overall, I enjoyed my time working for Sony PlayStation. There were many company events, perks, and merchandise discounts. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily interaction with fun and outgoing people who share a passion for the computer gaming industry.
Pros
Onsite cafeteria, Merchandise discounts, Enjoyable corporate functions
Cons
High management turnover, Lack of transparency from upper management
SCEA - Consultant
Sr Tech Manager (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 8, 2015
SCEA IT - very hostile working environment. Many long term employees do not want or welcome change. Not open to new ideas. Very rude always interrupting or talking over the Engineers and other Team members. Management needs to change. Weed out Managers that treat people with disrespect and are rude and ruthless. Its a gaming company you would think that they would have happy employees. They micro-manage but sadly they are not very knowledgeable and lack education. One of the Manager's only had a high school diploma, yet was the bully of the bunch and thought they knew everything.

Double standard with Management, some Managers only come into the office for 4 hours and then leave. The "worker bees" are not allowed to work from home and must work a full 8? What makes the Manager so special? The Engineers do the actual work. The Managers come in to micro-manage but they do not actually do any productive work. They do not like metrics or other measures to analyze what is working and what needs to be improved upon. Top heavy they need to get rid of a layer of management and have a flat organization. Make the manager's work and produce. Measure their performance on deliverables, collaboration, and Team Building.
Pros
I was only contracting .... whew!
Cons
Micro-Managed to the point I couldn't do my job. Boring !!