Sony Computer Entertainment America Employee Reviews

Pm/qa?Pr
IT Quality Assurance Test Manager, (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 6, 2016
Great work environment! Very team driven. Most employees enjoy the working together and are very willing and helpful when it come to completing projects. Manage and culture is big on work/life balance. I would recommend this company to others
Great people to work with and an awesome enviornement
Format QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAApril 3, 2016
I had a wonderful experience in my time at SCEA. I took every opportunity to work on interdepartmental projects and learn anything I could in my time there. The people were great, the food was great, and the campus in san mateo was awesome.
Political Culture
Creative Services Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAFebruary 15, 2016
Company culture operates as a start up. It grew really fast and upper management has not been able to manage their grow effectively, often promoting people they like and not necessarily based on their efforts and talents.
Pros
Employee discounts, cafeteria, gym.
Cons
Very political which can be a challenge. Tendency to need to belong to clique
Very fun place to work
Video Game tester (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Working int he industry was a dream. i enjoyed the culture and meeting new people who also enjoy this great past time. I would love to get back into computer and console testing as i like playing anything competitive and making sure the product is right!
Pros
Cheap lunch, video games all day and great people
Cons
Was contract work so it was never long term with them
Great Company Culture, Poor Management
HRIS Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CADecember 16, 2015
The company culture is great and so are the perks but the management needs to issue better communication from the top down as well as employee development and leadership training. The company is definitely in the process of improving its staff but I'm not sure if them changes are being implemented as fast as they need to be to maintain a successful and satisfied work group.
Pros
Onsite gym, onsite subsidized cafeteria of local sustainable food, free games, demos, tshirts, promotional items, etc.
Cons
many complaints about management among entire company
Great place to work for
Level I Technician/Business & Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 2, 2016
This company did a lot to help the employees, and give them a lot of hours. They would allow you to work overtime, and other shifts provided the supervisors on that shift didn't mind or needed staff.
Bleeding edge technology
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Utilizing a full IBP and S&OP systems, SCEA is a leader when it comes planning the business. The planning touches all sides of consumer goods, physical, digital and service.
Pros
Exciting video game business.
Average
Senior Lead QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMarch 22, 2016
There are things I liked and disliked about working at SCEA. They seem to cancel each other out in the end, so I give them an average rating.
Great place to work with plenty of perks
QA Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CASeptember 15, 2015
Overall, I enjoyed my time working for Sony PlayStation. There were many company events, perks, and merchandise discounts. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily interaction with fun and outgoing people who share a passion for the computer gaming industry.
Pros
Onsite cafeteria, Merchandise discounts, Enjoyable corporate functions
Cons
High management turnover, Lack of transparency from upper management
high energy, welcoming, and fun
Operations Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAOctober 15, 2015
Loved working there , great atmosphere , management ok, but over all was a challenge and a nice experience. The perks of the job was probably the best seeing new games that come out and giving your advice on how good the game is overall.
Pros
parking, healthcare, bonus
Cons
laying quality employees off in quantity
productive and vibrant atmosphere with comfy chairs
Tester/Programming (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 4, 2015
A normal day would consist of test playing looking for faults or errors and recording data when an defect would occur. I learned alot about how much is given to every game that gets developed.
9 years a (contract) tester
Quality Assurance Game Tester (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaliforniaJuly 18, 2015
Typical day of work was coming in, getting a build, and testing out that product. I've learned how to test video games, write bugs, and interact with developers as we go back and forth to make the product as flawless as possible. Management there seemed like they never wanted people to move up. They've always just wanted to stay in their position for as long as possible without mentoring the younger (future) to step up and eventually take over. Most of my co-workers were great, lots of characters, different walks of life. Some I consider great friends. Hardest part of the job is the uncertainty that you could be let go at any time. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting free food and or free games.
Pros
Go to attent trade shows such as E3, comic con, or PSX.
Cons
There's no benefits for contract staffers.
Heavy workload, but management tries create a positive culture
Finance (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CANovember 4, 2015
Fast pace, heavy workload, good benefits, fun company culture, opportunities for advancement, great perks, 401k, education expense reimbursement, challenging, demanding
benefits
Cons
heavy workload
Fun, motivating job with full control over your life.
Playstation Representative (Former Employee) –  West PhiladelphiaApril 6, 2015
With Playstation you have control over your life. You write your own schedule(within reason) and get to set up fun events. There is a high reimbursement for mileage and full reimbursement for work related expenses. The benefits are insane and while I can't go into detail, trust that they are amazing, especially if you are a gamer or have family that is into games! If you are self motivated sales person with manager and marketing experience that loves to drive and socialize, this is your dream job.
Pros
control of schedule, frequent paid holidays, lots of PTO, insane benefits, awesome coworkers
Cons
lots of wear and tear on your vehicle
Fast-paced, family-oriented, casual gaming culture
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAAugust 4, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great people who treats you like family rather than just colleague. I am very grateful that I get to work in a fun gaming culture and play games on Fridays if my work was done. Also, I get to plan employee-engaging gaming themed parties and other fun team-building work events. The only hard thing about my job is when I have to push other people to meet a certain deadline because of the domino effect it has on my project's timeline.
Pros
Great people to work with, access to free games, get to attend free sporting events like the SF Giants games
Cons
Limited upward mobility at times, Compensation needs improvement
Great Opportunities for getting experience
QA Technical Requirement Tester (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 10, 2014
It's a really easy going place to work for, but can be a bit difficult when it comes to job security. As when I was working there, only certain members had a secure positions as a tester. They would frequently change testers because it really depended if the building had any titles to test on.

There were season where there were multiple titles being tested and on the opposite side there were seasons with no titles to test, meaning a lot of people were forced to look for new income.
Pros
Easy going work environment, great place to meet new contacts, getting the experience as a tester
Cons
job security, initial pay may be low
Good and Bad
Senior Staff Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAOctober 9, 2012
My overall experience was poor because my first-level manager was horrible, and at least the next two levels of management were pretty clueless. (My manager lied, didn't follow written company policies, was unexpectedly absent during meetings, etc.) Even with that, I enjoyed working with many bright colleagues who share passion for creating fun consumer products.
Pros
interesting work, cool colleagues, flexible hours, travel, good pay, good benefits
Cons
clueless bloated management causing frequent long hours and little upward mobility, poor it support, bad expense-reimbursement system
I enjoy the work and the people, good position for future Programmers/Artists interested in Video Games
Game Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2012
A typical day at work would be testing the product and writing small reports about issues that were seen.
I actually learned quite a bit about networking (in relation to computers and games)
Had many successes with the management
Co-workers were the best part of the job
Spending very long hours at work.
Co-Workers made the job fun and very do-able
Pros
nice work environment, at times could feel like you were at home playing games
Cons
low pay rate for varying degrees of difficulty and very long shifts
Fun and Insightful
Merchandising Account Representative (Current Employee) –  MidwestApril 18, 2013
A typical work day for a Representative of Sony consist of traveling from retailer to retailer, merchandising product, training sales associates and managers, and occasionally conducting demo events for end consumers.

Immediate management is great and helpful but upper management seems to be disconnected from the field employees. The coworkers are great, but as a rep you work alone 99% of the time.
Pros
great autonomy, some free games, great discounts, fun environment
Cons
can be lonely, little to no lateral movement, can be stressful
Very fun environment to work in
Lead Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJuly 8, 2014
Being a tester and involved with the production side of video games is doing one of the top 10 jobs in the world. I worked with many different people from all sorts of backgrounds and places from around the globe. The hardest part of the job was the long hours put in during the final cycle when a game is about to be released. The most enjoyable part is watching the games development from start to finish.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sony Computer Entertainment America. Our community is ready to answer.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Reviews by Location