Sony Computer Entertainment America

Sony Computer Entertainment America Employer Reviews

Security System Specialist (Former Employee), Mira Mesa, CaJuly 15, 2014
Pros: brand name recognition
Cons: very limited annual budget
SCEA was a great place to work. A lot of creativity and a very positive work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job were all of the other people who worked there. The hardest part of the job was conducting actual security in such a creative place. People could not believe that their fellow co-workers would steal or do illegal things.
Sony Online
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2014
• Provided 24/7 help desk support to Sony Online customers.
• Diagnosis, troubleshooting, remediation of hardware and software faults on end user personal computers.
• Assisted in the testing of alpha stage game software and creation of ‘known issue’ data log.
Very fun environment to work in
Lead Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee), Foster City, CAJuly 8, 2014
Being a tester and involved with the production side of video games is doing one of the top 10 jobs in the world. I worked with many different people from all sorts of backgrounds and places from around the globe. The hardest part of the job was the long hours put in during the final cycle when a game is about to be released. The most enjoyable part – more... is watching the games development from start to finish. – less
A very busy place that can still be easy going and produces top notch quality work.
3D Artist/ Entry level Tech Art (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 3, 2014
A typical day at Sony VASG would be to come in check your emails and task for the day. Grabbing files from a pipeline, bringing in a scan file into maya retopologizing a game ready mesh around the scan then checking the files back into the pipeline for the next person to takeover the next step. During my time with Sony VASG i learned that the most important – more... thing is communication. Rather it being to clear up a misunderstand, a plan of attack, or to even correct a mistake communication is important. I would say the most difficult part of the job is the most enjoyable part which is on a moments notice anything can happen and that's whats exciting to me is having to expect the unexpected. – less
Talented Teams
Senior Manager, Retail Channel Marketing (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAJuly 2, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: the commute
Fun place to work with a ton of smart people. Nice perks. Long hours, crazy schedules, and very fast paced.
Not recommended if you will be a contractor or doing QA
QA Engineer (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAMay 4, 2014
Pros: i receive money and get to say i work for playstation, new campus is pretty nice, just added game kiosks, casual dress
Cons: no perks, employee discounts, or participation in many company events for contractors, break-in-service, little chance for career advancement, hierarchy, older work force, limited parking
Feel free to read my detailed experience or skip to the summary at the bottom.

A recruiter set me up here and I was hired as a QA Engineer. I was extremely excited at the start because this is my first job out of college and it's Sony PlayStation!

The first few weeks were spent getting to know my immediate colleagues, feeling out the company, and – more... moving to a new campus. Because of the strict rules regarding internal document, codebase, and site access, there was not much I could do except read some old user guides and an old snapshot of the repository which I was given. I tried to be as proactive as possible in getting up to speed so that as soon as I had access I would be a productive contributor. My initial interactions with the development team who I would be doing QA for were a bit cold. I eventually decided there was no point in asking them questions to help understand aspects of their project because I got the sense that they had no respect for QA and assumed I had little to no programming knowledge.

So I did the best I could to grasp the whole project on my own and was finally granted access. The first thing I noticed was that there was barely anything usable from the existing QA code. I pretty much built the QA codebase from scratch and took a great deal of ownership over my work. Slowly I started gaining the respect of my team as I exposed a large amount of issues with the product and they noticed my coding skills.

Eventually I started receiving more responsibility and tasks which were the responsibility of the developers. My manager would praise me every week and after the first 6 month contract continued making claims that they recognized my value and had great interest in hiring me full-time.

So being fresh out of school, excited to be at this big company, nothing really to compare this job to, I worked my a** off for the project, stayed overtime too many times to count (even though they don't pay extra for overtime unless you receive a very low hourly rate like that of a game tester), and even came in on weekends several times when asked.

Second contract starts coming to an end and I'm waiting to be hired full-time as I had been promised every month during the term. I decide it's time to be aggressive and start asking questions as it nears. Eventually they apologize saying they cannot hire me full-time but will increase my contract rate. So those negotiations go through, I name my price, my contracting company tells me it's approved, then the next day Sony changes their mind.

The option they give me is to work another 6 month contract but with what they call a "Break-in-service" so that they can keep me. There is some law that if you contract anyone for more than 18 months without hiring them full time, then you have to give them benefits and things. Sony doesn't want to do this so they choose to a) have you work the 18 months straight then take 3 whole months off and resign you or b) have you work a weird rotating schedule where any 4 days or more in a row you are off including weekends counts towards 90 days so that they can resign you for 40 hours a week after the 18 months is up.

I say I would rather work 18 months straight full-time. My managers urge me to do the Break-in-service so they can find me a spot with the company next year. I don't argue, agree to it and start using the days off to look for a new job. One month in, my manager tells me he's hired a second QA engineer who will start in 2 weeks and that because of the new project requirements I would have to start working normal 5 day work weeks and then take 3 months straight off once the 18 months is up.

And now here I am writing this review.

Typical Day:
Show up, code, possibly attend meetings, take a break (walk around, step outside, play games at the kiosks in the lobby, surf the web, talk with coworkers, etc.), have your lunch (if you use the cafeteria you can feel like you're in high school again), leave. Team retreat once a year, some monthly social events (however if you're a contractor you need to immediately clock out as soon as you take a sip of alcohol)

What you learned:
Besides increasing my programming skill and general work experience...don't work at Sony as a contractor, don't work too hard here as a contractor because it will most likely lead to nothing. Start looking for a new job so you can move on after one year.

Management:
Sony is a company that spreads themselves thin. It tries to get its hand in too many areas and ends up hurting itself. Cross-collaboration between departments and divisions is pretty impossible. Even working together with another project on your floor is rare. It doesn't feel like an open environment at all. There is a hierarchy. And sometimes you have to follow orders from Japan because they run the show even if they don't know what's best here in the US.

Co-workers:
Mostly mid-30s and up, married, work it like a government job. I'm probably 1/10 in their 20s and 1/2 under 26 on our floor. Surprisingly more women in development than I expected. Typical development job ethnic make-up: Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, White, some Eastern European, some British, a few African Americans
Out of the 3 buildings in the campus our floor is basically the only one with developers. The rest of the employees are in legal, HR, Advertising, Executives, etc. and are mostly White. The women you will see around but the men from these departments are probably off doing their own thing.

Hardest part of the job:
Keeping a straight face and holding back what I want to say in front of my manager and higher ups

Most enjoyable part of the job:
I get paid and can say I work at PlayStation.

TL;DR Summary
Don't work at the San Mateo PlayStation office as a contractor. If you do don't stay for over one year. There is little opportunity for career advancement. – less
Best job I ever had
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee), San DiegoApril 18, 2014
Pros: all of the above
The work environment is great, the people are great and I couldn't be happier having worked for them. We get many holidays, including some of the bank holidays. Benefits are top notch. Getting to work on many cutting edge technologies is always exciting. Was able to work completely remotely from a different state for over 5 years. If you ever get a – more... chance to work there jump at it. – less
Fun environment
Program Manager (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAApril 1, 2014
Pros: games!
The people who worked for PlayStation are a family. I enjoy working here!
Structured marketing experience; skill-building training available.
SR LICENSING AND MARKETING (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAFebruary 28, 2014
Becoming a more disciplined, structured marketing organization with ability to learn CPG skill sets.
Neet place to work
Sr. Facilities Engineering Manager (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: great benefits, cool place to work
Cons: growing pains
Pros & cons

As with most places, work experience is as good as you make it.
Great Work Environment with Excellent Benefits
Product Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2014
Great products and people. Never a dull moment and always challenging.
Very fun to work, productive, and people were friendly
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Foster City, CAFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: free lunches, pot lucks, awards
Cons: job security
A typical day at work was answering calls, following a specific conversation, timed, and recorded information about the calls that took place. I have learned more about the PlayStation system, gaming environment, products, and items. The management team are great people, they are down to earth, and has a sense of humor, but they also are professional. – more... The co-workers are awesome, even though your in a cube, we work as a team environment, good company, self-esteem builder, and professional. The hardest part of the job was the strict policy. They follow Japanese ethics, where just calling in sick is bad, and also vacation planning is considered hurtful. It is a very competitive position. The most enjoyable part of the job, is the people I work with, having discounts on Sony products, games, etc. – less
Very nice place to work
Accountant (Former Employee), San Mateo, CAJanuary 22, 2014
I love everything beside they end my contract without 2 weeks notice.
Awesome industry
Development Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 30, 2013
If you dont mind working long hours sometimes its a good place
Low Pay, Layoffs, Drama
QA Member (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 31, 2013
Cons: too many to type
Do not work here!
Work in an exciting field
Development Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 9, 2013
Pros: environment, field of work
Im very interested in computers so working here was really rewarding and fun too. the hardest part of the job was the long hours and not being able to spend as much time at home as id like but it wasn't horrible. them most enjoyable part was knowing u delivered a quality product for the customer
Good products Good brand name
Senior National Sales Account Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TxMay 30, 2013
Pros: free video games
Cons: bad compensation, bad management
The management needs help. No clear direction. I was not happy working at this company.
Great company with a lot of Playstations
Tier2 Technical Support (Current Employee), Idaho Falls IdahoMay 25, 2013
It is a great place to work when you have been there a while, lots of hands on tools.
SCEA was okay
3rd Party Relations (Former Employee), Foster CityMay 1, 2013
Pros: free games
Cons: hierarchy and upper management burnt out
It was a great opportunity to learn about the industry. However, the company culture has grown out of touch with innovation. Felt like a complacent atmosphere. Rarely brings in new top talent. People do become passionate but lose that fire easy. Haven't had a hit product in over a decade.
Fun and Insightful
Merchandising Account Representative (Current Employee), MidwestApril 18, 2013
Pros: great autonomy, some free games, great discounts, fun environment
Cons: can be lonely, little to no lateral movement, can be stressful
A typical work day for a Representative of Sony consist of traveling from retailer to retailer, merchandising product, training sales associates and managers, and occasionally conducting demo events for end consumers.

Immediate management is great and helpful but upper management seems to be disconnected from the field employees. The coworkers are – more... great, but as a rep you work alone 99% of the time. – less