Sony Computer Entertainment America

Sony Computer Entertainment America Employee Reviews

SCEA it's a good place to work if you want to develop yourself in all ways
Security Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: FREE DRINKS
Cons: YOU MUST BE COMMITED
SCEA WILL GIVE YOU OR IMPROVE YOUR ABILITY TO WORK WITH LESS SUPERVISION
THE MANAGEMENT SKILLS IS VERY GOOD.
THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS THAT YOU NEED TO THINK FAST IN ORDER TO SOLVE ISSUES ARISING.
Great place to get experiance
Tech Support (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 19, 2015
Pros: IT experiance
Cons: Takes awhile to get promoted
Sony is a good stepping stone for Tech Support. If you have never been in a call center or had to help solve computer issues over the phone or through chat this is a good place to start.
Fun, motivating job with full control over your life.
Playstation Representative (Former Employee), West PhiladelphiaApril 6, 2015
Pros: control of schedule, frequent paid holidays, lots of PTO, insane benefits, awesome coworkers
Cons: lots of wear and tear on your vehicle
With Playstation you have control over your life. You write your own schedule(within reason) and get to set up fun events. There is a high reimbursement for mileage and full reimbursement for work related expenses. The benefits are insane and while I can't go into detail, trust that they are amazing, especially if you are a gamer or have family that is into games! If you are self motivated sales person with manager and marketing experience that loves to drive and socialize, this is your dream job.
Awesome place to work
Senior Staff Database Administrator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2015
The work place is very enjoyable. There is a gym, tennnis, volleyball, basketball court. I have a very good team, everyone is helping each other, we even got a personal team interview and recognized as one of the best group in the company posted in the our intranet website.
Sony
Marketing Alliances Assistant (Former Employee), Foster City, CAJanuary 14, 2015
Location is not convenient but the work life balance is positive.
Fun place to work
Game Test Analyst (Former Employee), San DiegoOctober 22, 2014
Long days, repetitive work but enjoyable. The use of labor in testing is managed poorly.
Amazing place to work
Finance Analyst, Summer Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 17, 2014
This is a great place to intern. I would recommend it to everyone.
Learned a lot about financial management, etc.
Fast-paced, family-oriented, casual gaming culture
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAAugust 4, 2014
Pros: great people to work with, access to free games, get to attend free sporting events like the sf giants games
Cons: limited upward mobility at times, compensation needs improvement
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great people who treats you like family rather than just colleague. I am very grateful that I get to work in a fun gaming culture and play games on Fridays if my work was done. Also, I get to plan employee-engaging gaming themed parties and other fun team-building work events. The only hard thing about my job is when I have to push other people to meet a certain deadline because of the domino effect it has on my project's timeline.
Gaming work environment
Game Testing Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: played video games
Cons: no benefits, low pay
Playstation Tester
Game play
Fun work environment
easy work.
Security System Specialist (Former Employee), Mira Mesa, CaJuly 15, 2014
Pros: brand name recognition
Cons: very limited annual budget
SCEA was a great place to work. A lot of creativity and a very positive work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job were all of the other people who worked there. The hardest part of the job was conducting actual security in such a creative place. People could not believe that their fellow co-workers would steal or do illegal things.
Sony Online
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2014
• Provided 24/7 help desk support to Sony Online customers.
• Diagnosis, troubleshooting, remediation of hardware and software faults on end user personal computers.
• Assisted in the testing of alpha stage game software and creation of ‘known issue’ data log.
Very fun environment to work in
Lead Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee), Foster City, CAJuly 8, 2014
Being a tester and involved with the production side of video games is doing one of the top 10 jobs in the world. I worked with many different people from all sorts of backgrounds and places from around the globe. The hardest part of the job was the long hours put in during the final cycle when a game is about to be released. The most enjoyable part is watching the games development from start to finish.
A very busy place that can still be easy going and produces top notch quality work.
3D Artist/ Entry level Tech Art (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 3, 2014
A typical day at Sony VASG would be to come in check your emails and task for the day. Grabbing files from a pipeline, bringing in a scan file into maya retopologizing a game ready mesh around the scan then checking the files back into the pipeline for the next person to takeover the next step. During my time with Sony VASG i learned that the most important thing is communication. Rather it being to clear up a misunderstand, a plan of attack, or to even correct a mistake communication is important. I would say the most difficult part of the job is the most enjoyable part which is on a moments notice anything can happen and that's whats exciting to me is having to expect the unexpected.
Talented Teams
Senior Manager, Retail Channel Marketing (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAJuly 2, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: the commute
Fun place to work with a ton of smart people. Nice perks. Long hours, crazy schedules, and very fast paced.
Not recommended if you will be a contractor or doing QA
QA Engineer (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAMay 4, 2014
Pros: i receive money and get to say i work for playstation, new campus is pretty nice, just added game kiosks, casual dress
Cons: no perks, employee discounts, or participation in many company events for contractors, break-in-service, little chance for career advancement, hierarchy, older work force, limited parking
Feel free to read my detailed experience or skip to the summary at the bottom.

A recruiter set me up here and I was hired as a QA Engineer. I was extremely excited at the start because this is my first job out of college and it's Sony PlayStation!

The first few weeks were spent getting to know my immediate colleagues, feeling out the company, and moving to a new campus. Because of the strict rules – more... regarding internal document, codebase, and site access, there was not much I could do except read some old user guides and an old snapshot of the repository which I was given. I tried to be as proactive as possible in getting up to speed so that as soon as I had access I would be a productive contributor. My initial interactions with the development team who I would be doing QA for were a bit cold. I eventually decided there was no point in asking them questions to help understand aspects of their project because I got the sense that they had no respect for QA and assumed I had little to no programming knowledge.

So I did the best I could to grasp the whole project on my own and was finally granted access. The first thing I noticed was that there was barely anything usable from the existing QA code. I pretty much built the QA codebase from scratch and took a great deal of ownership over my work. Slowly I started gaining the respect of my team as I exposed a large amount of issues with the product and they noticed my coding skills.

Eventually I started receiving more responsibility and tasks which were the responsibility of the developers. My manager would praise me every week and after the first 6 month contract continued making claims that they recognized my value and had great interest in hiring me full-time.

So being fresh out of school, excited to be at this big company, nothing really to compare this job to, I worked my a** off for the project, stayed overtime too many times to count (even though they don't pay extra for overtime unless you receive a very low hourly rate like that of a game tester), and even came in on weekends several times when asked.

Second contract starts coming to an end and I'm waiting to be hired full-time as I had been promised every month during the term. I decide it's time to be aggressive and start asking questions as it nears. Eventually they apologize saying they cannot hire me full-time but will increase my contract rate. So those negotiations go through, I name my price, my contracting company tells me it's approved, then the next day Sony changes their mind.

The option they give me is to work another 6 month contract but with what they call a "Break-in-service" so that they can keep me. There is some law that if you contract anyone for more than 18 months without hiring them full time, then you have to give them benefits and things. Sony doesn't want to do this so they choose to a) have you work the 18 months straight then take 3 whole months off and resign you or b) have you work a weird rotating schedule where any 4 days or more in a row you are off including weekends counts towards 90 days so that they can resign you for 40 hours a week after the 18 months is up.

I say I would rather work 18 months straight full-time. My managers urge me to do the Break-in-service so they can find me a spot with the company next year. I don't argue, agree to it and start using the days off to look for a new job. One month in, my manager tells me he's hired a second QA engineer who will start in 2 weeks and that because of the new project requirements I would have to start working normal 5 day work weeks and then take 3 months straight off once the 18 months is up.

And now here I am writing this review.

Typical Day:
Show up, code, possibly attend meetings, take a break (walk around, step outside, play games at the kiosks in the lobby, surf the web, talk with coworkers, etc.), have your lunch (if you use the cafeteria you can feel like you're in high school again), leave. Team retreat once a year, some monthly social events (however if you're a contractor you need to immediately clock out as soon as you take a sip of alcohol)

What you learned:
Besides increasing my programming skill and general work experience...don't work at Sony as a contractor, don't work too hard here as a contractor because it will most likely lead to nothing. Start looking for a new job so you can move on after one year.

Management:
Sony is a company that spreads themselves thin. It tries to get its hand in too many areas and ends up hurting itself. Cross-collaboration between departments and divisions is pretty impossible. Even working together with another project on your floor is rare. It doesn't feel like an open environment at all. There is a hierarchy. And sometimes you have to follow orders from Japan because they run the show even if they don't know what's best here in the US.

Co-workers:
Mostly mid-30s and up, married, work it like a government job. I'm probably 1/10 in their 20s and 1/2 under 26 on our floor. Surprisingly more women in development than I expected. Typical development job ethnic make-up: Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, White, some Eastern European, some British, a few African Americans
Out of the 3 buildings in the campus our floor is basically the only one with developers. The rest of the employees are in legal, HR, Advertising, Executives, etc. and are mostly White. The women you will see around but the men from these departments are probably off doing their own thing.

Hardest part of the job:
Keeping a straight face and holding back what I want to say in front of my manager and higher ups

Most enjoyable part of the job:
I get paid and can say I work at PlayStation.

TL;DR Summary
Don't work at the San Mateo PlayStation office as a contractor. If you do don't stay for over one year. There is little opportunity for career advancement. – less
Best job I ever had
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee), San DiegoApril 18, 2014
Pros: all of the above
The work environment is great, the people are great and I couldn't be happier having worked for them. We get many holidays, including some of the bank holidays. Benefits are top notch. Getting to work on many cutting edge technologies is always exciting. Was able to work completely remotely from a different state for over 5 years. If you ever get a chance to work there jump at it.
Fun environment
Program Manager (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAApril 1, 2014
Pros: games!
The people who worked for PlayStation are a family. I enjoy working here!
Structured marketing experience; skill-building training available.
SR LICENSING AND MARKETING (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAFebruary 28, 2014
Becoming a more disciplined, structured marketing organization with ability to learn CPG skill sets.
Neet place to work
Sr. Facilities Engineering Manager (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: great benefits, cool place to work
Cons: growing pains
Pros & cons

As with most places, work experience is as good as you make it.
Great Work Environment with Excellent Benefits
Product Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2014
Great products and people. Never a dull moment and always challenging.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Salaries