Sony Music Entertainment Employee Reviews

lack of advancement, good culture
Radio Promotion Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2017
good working culture but lack of advancement/ opportunities and extremely cut throat.... not fairly compensated. new offices are great and in a good location
One of the worst places I've ever worked
Associate Creative Director / Senior Copywriter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
Managers do not know what they are doing. Arcade Creative Group positions itself as a digital advertising agency and then contracts out the digital work to an unprofessional digital agency. Clients leave as a result. Management continues to contract unprofessional digital agency.
Pros
Good pay. Decent cafeteria.
Cons
Incompetent management
Recording Egineer
Recording Engineer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 17, 2017
Good service, attention to detail with great results. Being able to capture the intention of the producers. Maintain a great working atmosphere in the studio.
Was a valuable experince for my career path in Law Enforcement
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Pitman, NJSeptember 9, 2017
My Duties were various and important. Front Desk security check for all employees entering the facility. Handling camera surveillance for the facility. Performing roaming patrols inside and outside the company. Handling any and all emergencies that occurred. Performing transportation for the Vice President of Operations at Sony and all executives.
Pros
Great experience and competant and knowledgeable staff
Cons
Fun workplace with great incentives
Assistant in the office (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
Would start the day making sure the president had a fresh bottle of water and make sure his computer was turned on. From there each day varied, I would catalogue his music library, send various reports, pick up anything needed to order for artists, interact with various labels. I learned to be respectful and grateful to everyone I worked with. In turn I was treated with a high amount of respect and would receive top priority any time I needed something for the president. Management was helpful, providing insight and assistance whenever I needed it. Workplace culture was diverse and fun as there were many different types of music going throughout the office. Hardest part of the job was the commute combined with long work hours. Hard to spend time with family/friends. Most enjoyable part of the job was the priority seating at concerts, free music, exclusive access to shows, and paid for lunch/dinner every day.
Pros
Exclusive concerts
Cons
lomg commute/hours
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2017
This was the beginning of my UNIX career at Sony. It was a good time as we were created the environment from scratch. I was able to learn a lot as we were creating the environment.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
Didn't listen to as many suggestions as they should have.
workplace culture
Management (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2017
Although very business oriented it allows creativity and ideas. You are in a very casual environment but the job is taken very seriously and with very high expectations.
I do not work for sony music
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 9, 2017
I do not work for sony music. I cannot bypass this review.It sounds like a great job. I work for a third party Sony call center that has potential to be good but the work ethics are not professional
Pros
Unlimited OT periods
Cons
Pay, job site, attendance policy
Great to work with
Freelance Production Artist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 6, 2017
I worked with Sony on a freelance production job and had a wonderful experience working as an outside contractor. Professionalism was delivered at every angle toward me and the artist I was working with. :)
I would work with Creative and talented people everyday
Administrator/Promotions/A & R/Media (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 22, 2017
I would start in the morning working on marketing plans and booking travel arrangements as well as scheduling interviews and concert venues. I also would develop budgets for events and promotions.The hardest part of the job was to make sure everything was covered in the budgets.

The most enjoyable part of the job was watching people create and working with people from all over the world.
Pros
traveling, free concert events and shows
Cons
long hours sometime no sleep at all.
High demand and low pay
Help Desk/Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
There was little to no consistency in training or documentation.
There was staff there for more than 5 years who were still considered temp.
Your account was renewed every 90 days, the only way that you knew you still had a job was if a request to extend your account landed in the ticket queue.
Pros
Discounts on all things Sony Music and Movies
Cons
Everything else
Fast pace, going through changes
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 5, 2017
Lots of changes going on in the industry and Sony Corporate us experiencing growing pains. Transition in leadership make for a unsteady environment. If you an ride out the bumps for now, then you're probably be ok long term.
Pros
well known company
Cons
leadership in transition
No Advancement
ACCOUNTING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 24, 2017
Like all productions you are working with freelancers that have little to no background in management skills. There's no Human Resources Dept so be prepared to either leave your job when harassed or suck it up.
Pros
Free lunch, snacks
Cons
poor management, no support, little room for growth
Sr. Director of National Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, FloridaMay 19, 2017
For me this was a great place to work, specially in my first few years where we would strive to open new accounts and be given a chance in a very difficult retail environment. A typical day at work was looking for ways to grow the company and work with, and among friends, management was very supportive and attentive to your ideas and suggestions, the hardest part of the job for me specifically was pursuing perfection which of course was not always the case, lol... My most enjoyable part of the job was reaching my goals which was always encouraged in a positive and motivating manner.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Director of Operations & Sales
Director of Operations & Sales (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 1, 2017
managed territoryand achieved results. the leads and people were difficult to deal with but the pay was excellent. great experience with business development
Waste of Potential
Product Manager, International Marketing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2017
Nepotism in action; and one's work is not valued nor appreciated unless a favorite of the department head who controls advancement.

The work load is unbalanced and there is no set path for advancement - different hoop jumping for everyone unless you're in the right click / liked by your department head and then it doesn't matter the quality of your work and you'll be promoted regardless.

Definition of working to live to live hand to mouth is working at Sony Music. The rat race at its finest.
Great social networking.
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2017
Very laid back. There is no training what so ever. There is very little development of personnel. Great place to network and be in the thick of the industry. Only reward creative functions.
At times very fun job with many benefits for music lovers.
Manager, A&R Administration (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 27, 2017
Being that the music business is suffering, I get that the job didn't pay that well. But for the work I did, I feel it should have paid more. And the chance to move up was at times cut off from within.
Great Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAMarch 21, 2017
I greatly enjoyed this internship since it was in a different field of my study and I learned so much about the behind-the-scenes of a record label and it's artists. I was responsible for the album sales products on Amazon.
CD Manufacturing
Group Leader/Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Pitman, NJMarch 15, 2017
Great company to work for with great pay and benefits. Friendly people and management. Clean environment with safe workplace practice. State of the facility.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Plant closed in 2010

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sony Music Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3