Sony Music Entertainment Employee Reviews

Perfect place to grow your skill set
Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Madison, NYJanuary 15, 2017
Working with Sony Music Entertainment you will be exposed to the latest technology and frames works. Being a Java Developer, I have not only worked on latest Java frameworks, but also worked for on technologies like AngularJS2 and ReactJS.
Pros
Work from home, Discounts fro Sony electronics, Free passes for Sony Music concerts
Cons
It was my first internship
Marketing/Media Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 22, 2016
I was an intern at Sony's Masterworks label back in 2011. The work was not difficult but the people were very warm and inviting. It was my first real professional experience so I learned what I could during my short time there.
Pros
Sometimes you run into artists, Access to major clients
Cons
The internship was without pay or compensation
Fun, exciting place
Senior Director, Creative Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2016
Opportunity to work on projects on behalf of the most successful recording artists' in the world. Utilized my creativity and imagination to create content across all platforms.
Temp. Executive Assistant
Excecutive Assistant Temp Freelance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2016
Wonderful company providing top level support to its artists and partners alike. World leader artist labels: RCA, Epic and Columbia Records. Diverse work force, with an endless array of opportunities.
Great company to work with.
Senior Infrastructure & SDLC Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 11, 2016
1. Great organization.
2. Balance business culture across company.
3. Diverse ethnicity from all over world.
4. Good resource management.
5. Advance development culture.
Some really good people.
U.S. Sales Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2016
Friendly co-workers. Open floor plan in the new location. In heart of the flat iron district. Rooftop cafeteria, nice gym. All brand new facilities.
An environment that promotes growth: College Marketing Program
Urban/Pop College Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 18, 2016
By far the most electrifying experience in my professional career. My bosses at Sony not only helped me figure out what it is that I like about the Music Industry, they helped me grow into a young leader. Everything about the job was fun but also learning. Being able to help brainstorm ideas for a marketing initiative at my college or going to see an artist perform live for the first time on tour, this job really had it's perks. But most importantly, like any job/internship it is what you make of it. You'll find the more you explore the avenues of any job, you'll reap more and more benefits!
Pros
Helping plan/execute marketing initiatives, Reviewing concerts, Acting as a liaison between the Label and my College for Artist awareness
Cons
N/a
Fun filled company
Archives Contract Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2016
Work standard hours which allows for a good blend of work and family life experiences. A great place to work. Both management and administration work well together.
Pros
Rewarded for your contribution to the company.
Cons
Hard to move up because Senior management never retires.
I enjoyed it
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2016
Great company to work for!! Loved the office culture. Wish they paid interns tho.... My department wasn't really a right fit for me.
Pros
Discount lunch
Cons
Lot of unimportant intern work
productive
Packaging (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 26, 2016
always moving and very flexibly hours good company would like to go back into the warehouse industry very good benefits and vacation time I would recommend this company to anybody
Productive, fun and relaxed work environment
Digital Analytics College Rep (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2016
I had a great experience working for Sony, working with some of the best people I ever had. I was allowed to listen to music while i worked and given a lot of freedom. Couldn't recommend this company enough.
I worked with very decent,hard working,caring people
ACCOUNT ANALYST - Credit & Collections Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2016
From when I first started at Columbia Records, through the selling to Sony and finally the merge with BMG it was not only a great place to work but they became my family in many ways. The last three years were the hardest as our Department was relocated to Lyndhurst,NJ and the commute was physically and emotionally exhausting.
Great place to get things done
Digital Marketing, Legacy Recordings (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2016
Great opportunity. Make the best of it and gain lifetime connections while working with awesome people. Enjoyed working with my team and working with the artists. Hardest part of the job is when you are in crunch time and you need more time but you have to figure out a way to execute without that time. Management does a great job of rallying the troops.
Pros
Lunch in the building, great benefits, gym was in location
Cons
Mentorship and management programs were ellusive
great place for development
Audit Analyst (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Rutherford, NJMarch 24, 2016
great place to work at, love my day to day and the people are great and friendly..I worked in Audit - def enjoyed my time with the folks in the department. I cant say its not a bad place because its one of he few places that I had thoroughly enjoyed.
Pros
week off for winter
Cons
Great place to learn, travel and gain the skills I needed to become an expert mix engineer.
MIX ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Greater Los Angeles areaFebruary 20, 2016
Planned, organized, managed, installed and configured all software, hardware, audio and video equipment. Recorded and directed projects that turned music into CD's and/or DVD's. Supervised, coached and mentored artists and turned their visions into marketable merchandise.
bad company
Union Helper (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GAJanuary 29, 2016
need better management and understanding of workers health and family outside of this production. temp agencies hire for this job
Pros
plenty of work
Cons
bad management skills
Good experience
Associate, Finance and Business/ Legal Affairs (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2015
Great learning experience. Middle management tends to be overworked, underpaid, and generally mediocre. My supervisor was extremely bad at communicating, which can make learning the internal systems exceptionally difficult.
My Experience at Sony/Rca
Intern (Former Employee) –  550 Madison AveDecember 15, 2015
Sony/RCA is an excellent company to be apart of. The culture of the company is both professional and fun and I enjoyed my time as an intern immensely. My co-workers were helpful, taking time to teach and guide me along the process. My immediate bosses were phenomenal from the beginning of the journey to the very end, and I can only hope to work with them all in some capacity again. The hardest part of the job for me is knowing I'm only with this company for a short time. The most enjoyable part for me was working with an exceptional team everyday.
Pros
I learned tons about mysel during this process
Cons
My time at the company was short
Lots of big ideas with no follow through.
ARTIST/MUSICIAN (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 15, 2015
I was signed as an artist in development. Meaning I was paid to write write and record songs until the record label felt I had a viable catalogue of songs to create a commercially successful album. Before my album was finished the subsidiary label, which was underneath the Sony Music Entertainment umbrella folded, and I was released from my contract.
Pros
Travel, studio time, fair compensation
Cons
high stress
Advertising and Design
Design Coordinator, Creative Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2015
Fast paced decision making
How to support a culture of creativity
Fantastic management team!
Co-workers team driven
Artist ability to take direction
Completing tasks efficiently
Benefits
Cons
Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sony Music Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3