SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT

SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT Employer Reviews

laid back
Executive Assistant/Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 27, 2013
fun environment and flexible hours. Good benefits, not such great pay.
Production and Fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Mexico, cityFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: 1 luch 2:00 to 3:00
Organized to agenda for meeting Director's
Catch all documents in the Personal computer
Answer the telephone
Organized files
great if you like working in the corporate world, nice benefits, good location, security if you're a good worker; excellent management
Manager/Contract Administrator, Music Licensing (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 3, 2012
who doesn't want to work for a major music company? Excellent benefits, competitive salary and workplace.
Very productive company
PRODUCTION CONTROL COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Pitman, NJSeptember 30, 2012
Good management,coworkers with excellant team player skills throughout.
Internship from heaven
Temp (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 22, 2012
This was a good opportunity to get insight on what it took to work in the music industry. The environment was fun and educational.

September 24, 2012

I am looking to get into the music industry doing marketing, management, etc. I currently intern at a record studio but I am looking to do more. Any advice or suggestions on how to get my foot in the door ? I have applied to many of Sony's openings.

Great Place to work. So much to learn. A leader in the music business.
Assistant to Manager of Digital Marketing (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 18, 2012
Great bosses. Very busy, but in a good way. It is pretty much my dream to have a career at a major record label.
Musical workplace
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 16, 2012
Sony is a great place to learn about everything music. The best part was walking down the hallways and listening to the new music being played at all times

December 31, 2012

Can you tell me what's the best way in sending music or contacting someone at Sony to get your music heard and sent to other establish artist?

Music industry quite exciting
Executive Assistant-Business Affairs (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 14, 2012
Pros: free product and access to artists/shows
Cons: prejudice withing management
Supported Legal Team
Learned about licensing and contracts
Was able to work independently
Co-workers were busy performing functions
Leaving
Access to Music products
Review
Accounts Payable Auditor (Former Employee), New York,NyAugust 8, 2012
A fast pace,high volume turnover,multi-tasked work environment with supporting co-workers.The most enjoyable part of my days was the metal and the physical support we gave each other.
Not your typical NYC corporate environment
Freelance Designer (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 31, 2012
Pros: cafeteria, casual dress, good hours
Typical day began at 10am and ended at 6pm. Compared to most places I have worked in NYC, these are great hours. The co-workers are friendly, upbeat and really great at their jobs. The dress code is casual, not even business casual, which made for a more relaxing work environment and easy mornings getting up and not having to iron every piece of clothing or spending large amounts of cash on suits.

August 8, 2012

What in particular are they looking for in terms of an employee?

Typical Day
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 19, 2012
Assist three VP’s and one Director with coordinating and arranging meetings, conference/video calls and interviews.

Liaison between senior management and other third party companies to coordinate highly confidential meetings in and out of town.

Coordinate calendars and travel to various meetings including CES, SXSW, Music Matters and all Account Management and Business Development Meetings.

Assists entire department with administrative duties including answering phone lines, travel, expenses, errands and back-up for EVP’s assistant.

July 23, 2012

What is the best way to get a job with Sony Music Entertainment as a recent college graduate?

Fun, laid-back work environment
Production Intern (Former Employee), Beverly Hills, CAJuly 14, 2012
Pros: laid-back environment, nice office, good employees to work with
The internship at Sony was a unique experience. I assumed that the internship would be a little more hands on and got to experience the duties of what music executives do. Even though this was not the case, I have learned tremendously while interning here. I was given projects that were to be done on powerpoint. These projects consisted of marketing a consumer product and pairing it with a Sony music artist to help promote these artists. I put together song compilations. I participated in a video shoot that exposed me in the operations of putting together a video shoot. I was able to work with other interns and collaborate with them on these projects. I was a business major and was able to apply what I learned in school in the work environment. My mentor was extremely helpful and allowed me to exercise my abilities in brainstorming creative ideas and empowered me to make decisions.that would help these projects succeed. Overall, what I enjoyed most was working with the laid-back interns who came from different parts of the world and learning about their cultures and having the opportunity to work and share ideas with them. Also, I was given the task to do a small video commercial pitching a consumer product while implementing a particular music artist song in the background. Although, due to time constraints, it did not go through. In summation, I loved how I can freely express my mind to come up with creative ideas and sharing them with people who have the same interests as you.

July 23, 2012

How were you able to become an intern and what advice would you give to those seeking internships with Sony Music Entertainment?

Socially interactive
Intern (Former Employee), Beverly Hills, CAJuly 7, 2012
Pros: free cds
Cons: unpaid internship
This is perhaps the only job that I have worked that allowed music (R&B, & Hip hop) to play in the halls all day long. During my internship at sony I would properly file licenses into their categories for example, commercials, radio, television shows, movies, etc. Each filed also had to be labeled where it was stored therefore this information had to be entered in a data entry software specialized for Sony called FTD. In addition I would also mail out and copy licenses for Sony's records.

July 23, 2012

Why do you have to still be enrolled in college for an internship? What about recent college grads that don't mind it being unpaid but just want the experience? What's the best choice for them?

Fun enviroment for the music lover.
Manager (Current Employee), Lyndhurst, NJJune 29, 2012
Very challenging day to day operations in a changing business structure.
Intern Review
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 13, 2012
I interned for Sony for over a year and truly loved my experience there. It was an amazing opportunity to intern for them and I sincerely recommend it to anyone interested in the music/entertainment industry.

July 23, 2012

What's the best way to go about interning for Sony Music Entertainment for a recent college grad? (All of the internships online state you have to still be enrolled in college...what about those of us who are done and still want to intern...for free?)

Great place to learn, but don't expect to climb fast and far - or be compensated handsomely
Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 20, 2012
Pros: casual dress code, good health insurance/benefits, great coworkers
Cons: difficult to get promoted, pay is subpar, many executives are "old school" in their thinking, layoffs are as common as a handshake
No two days are ever the same. Given all of the layoffs and corporate consolidation that has become the current state of the music industry, your hands touch a variety of issues on a day to day basis. 10 years ago, what used to employ a team of 5 people has now been cut down to a single person. The upside is that you get a lot of hands on experience. The downside is that you work your tail off - usually handling tasks that someone one or two pay grades/titles above you would have handled in prior years. (For example, I was handling Director level issues with an Administrative Assistant title and pay.)

One of the only things that makes this place bearable is the team of people I work with in my specific department.

July 23, 2012

What advice would you give to someone seeking a position with Sony Music Entertainment as a recent college graduate?

The best learning opportunity ever
College Marketing Rep (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 4, 2012
College Marketing Representative for Sony and it's music artist.

July 23, 2012

How were you able to get that position and do you still have to be currently enrolled in college?

Sony Music Entertainment
Copyright Product Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 18, 2012
Pros: culture, coworkers, excitement, bragging rights, decent benefits
Cons: low pay, difficult to get promoted
Sony is a decent place to work. As with all music companies, the pay is low and job security is not good. But the people are cool for the most part. It is difficult but not impossible to get promoted. You just have to work hard and have thick skin, which will serve you well anywhere anyway. All in all I've enjoyed my time here.

July 23, 2012

I do copyrights all the time, what's the best way to get a similar position with Sony Music Entertainment for a recent college graduate?

Great health benefits and perks
Payroll Auditor (Current Employee), Lyndhurst, NJMarch 11, 2012
Pros: free music
Cons: advancement
I have worked for Sony Music for more than ten years and have accumulated a collection of music that anyone would desire. The one thing I will miss about Sony is the relaxing flexible environment. I am looking to move on so I can continue to learn more complex payroll processes.

July 22, 2012

I new to the New York area and trying to get my foot in the door within the Music Industry. Do you have any recommendations?

No better music company in the country
Vice President Field Sales (Former Employee), Itasca, ILMarch 1, 2012
If you enjjoy working with music and near music, this is the best place to be. However, be advised that the business has all but disappeared and jobs are vanishing and not coming back.

July 23, 2012

What's the best way to obtain a position with Sony Music Entertainment as a recent college graduate?

About SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT

Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a current roster that includes a broad array of both local artists – Read more

SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT Photos