Sony Online Entertainment

Sony Online Entertainment Employee Reviews

Good place to work.
Associate Artist (Former Employee), Miramar, CAApril 7, 2015
However poor decisions cause Sony to sell them and then they were required to lay off around 200 people. While I was there is was a good place to work, but it was short lived.
Job was fun, but management was inconsistant
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Got to see a lot of cool movies, on the clock and they rented out theaters.
Cons: Never knew if you would have a job, the next day.
Yup, I worked there many years ago. Good starting job for Online CS. Many times there were too many supervisors who were telling you conflicting policy.
Awesome Company, maker of great games
Environment Artist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: benefits, pay, people, energy, and work environment, games
Cons: fast deadlines, very fast paced work environment
it was awesome working at sony. great company culture and great people to work with. High standards and quality of product that gets created there. I would highly recommend Sony as a great place to work.
Job security was always a looming concern for employees
Web Artist II / UI Artist and Designer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free coffee, excellent health benefits
Cons: work/life balance is tough, location on miramar was terrible.
Extremely creative people that worked there were always great to work with and talk to. Some positions were under-utilized.
fun work place
contractor artist (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2015
I really loved working EverQuest. The people I worked with were like my second family. Although I was contracting I definatly felt like part of the team.
I was only an intern
Intern Student (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 24, 2015
I was only an intern, but I got a bitter taste from the others that worked there, and friendly advice not to pursue a career there.
Fun, caring, friendly, great environment, makes work feel like home.
shipping and receiving (Former Employee), san diego, CADecember 23, 2014
a typical day at sony is full of laughter and jokes but still focused on work, people can be themselves and express how they feel. everything is routine for the most part, I have learned a lot on how technology and creativity come together in the work environment, it is a video game development company after all. to be completely honest the hardest part of that job was clocking out and leaving, if you are someone who enjoys video games and technology its not easy to go home at the end of the work day. the most enjoyable part is receiving a truck load of orders for the marketing team, they always give away goodies to employees, its hard work and physically demanding but it pays off every time.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Bilingual (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2014
• Investigate new issues that come up and update team and supervisors with any new issues that come up from customers
• Resolve and respond to customer inquiries and queries
• Monitor many aspects of the online servers and track and report new issues that arise to different team members
• Organize and run events for the player base in the online community
• Analyze feedback and suggestions from players for continuous improvements of game.
• monitoring chats and in game activities to ensure that community standards are being met
• Perform investigation and documentation of game exploits, bugs and similar other issues pertaining to online gaming world.
• Trained another Spanish Customer Service by teaching him the tools and the features of the different software.
• Used my language skills for translation issue in different games.
The pay sucks, but everything else was pretty cool
Game Master/In-game Customer Service (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2014
Pros: free bagels/doughnuts every friday, random free game stuff, cool coworkers, fun job
Cons: pay, incompetent upper management, regular company wide layoffs
I worked as a Game Master for SOE just under 2 years. I was laid off the week before I was set to receive my 2 year work completion bonus (interesting coincidence).

The work itself is fun and you'll probably be working with cool people. My direct supervisors were also very cool but subject to wacky/stupid decisions by upper management (who we never saw or heard from).

As far as a "foot in the door" in the gaming industry this is a great start. If you have game design skills and speak up you might just end up on a development team. You'll learn a lot about the business end of the gaming industry.

The pay scale is pathetic for entry level. The Game Master position hourly pay rate had not changed for 8 years when I got there ($10/hour). It was recently raised to $11 in an attempt to compensate for health insurance and will likely remain just a smidgen over minimum wage for the remainder of the companies existence. For the level of expertise and accuracy they expect the pay rate is truly abysmal. I gave them 2 stars for compensation because the random non-monetary benefits are pretty sweet.
Exciting place to work
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2014
Answered phone calls and emails dealing with connectivity issues, problems with playing the games and billing issues.

Learned trouble shooting procedures for computer games.

Management was laid back and didn't micro manage the staff.

Hardest part was trying to explain to customers the company policy and telling them there is nothing that can be done to help them.

Most enjoyable part was the satisfaction of helping a customer resolve a technical problem their were having.
Management is uninvolved, complete discord between departments
QA i18n (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 29, 2014
Pros: free bbqs, free movies
Cons: horrible management, long hours, nasty coworkers
Besides the perks such as free movies and bbqs, this job was an absolute nightmare. The management is completely uninvolved in what employees are doing. A week or two would go by and I would not hear anything from my supervisor who worked down the hallway. There was complete discord between QA and i18n and some of the translators were just downright nasty and unprofessional. Certain employees behaved so unprofessionally (screaming obscenities, banging on desks and computers) and upper management did nothing to acknowledge this behavior. I was let go because of politics between another coworker who had been there 2 years yet had no idea what she was doing. She was vindictive, nasty and a liar. I would never recommend this company to anyone!
Amazing company, very relax environment, provided a lot of learning opportunities
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: great coffee and tea every day, and fruit and donuts every friday, some free movie events
I learned a different Payroll system (UltiPro), Great Plains for uploading Payroll Journal entries, run different reports.
Management was very understanding and supportive, great co-workers and excellent team players.
Long Hours, but I'd Do It Again!
Game Designer (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 23, 2013
Pros: advancement opportunities, benefits, fun work environment
Cons: frequent long hours, management frequently interferes with creative aspects
As most of the game designers, I worked my way up from their QA department. Hours were frequently long, but game development is a personal passion, so I didn't really feel it until several years in.

Was laid off after several years, which was unfun, but company was fair with severance and offered assistance with job transitioning.

Very creative atmosphere, but if your game is in the spotlight, expect frequent interference and/or interruptions from management.
Game master duties
Game Master/Moderator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 27, 2013
General Game Master duties all day
Banned cheaters accounts
Banned accounts that broke the Terms of Service
Gave warnings when appropriate
Logged each banned account and the the reason for it
I really miss working here! Low pay - but unbelievable environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2013
Pros: plenty of office amenities, gaming/nerd culture, fun interaction with players
Cons: little advancement opportunity, temp agency hires, poor management and leadership, terrible insurance
I really loved working at SOE as a Game Master. Although the pay was very low, I stayed for many years because it was just such an enjoyable experience. I loved providing great customer service for the players, and I even enjoyed dealing with the difficult ones. The culture there is great, fun, and energetic. Food trucks come to the office almost every day, there's a great little coffee stand on campus, company trips to the movies, dogs allowed in the office (not for customer service buildings, but it's still cool)

Now the cons... For customer service, you can only be hired on through a temp agency, Wired Talent, which means your insurance benefits are pretty much useless. Management in other departments is very good, but in customer service, not so much. Most managers seemed to just treat work as a social playdate every day, rather than focus on improving their team.

There is little room for advancement. They do offer apprenticeships for game design, which is really cool, however most of that is just doing the grunt work that the rest of the devs are too busy to deal with. You can only get hired on in design if you really work your butt off and play the networking game right - if you don't make friends with the right people, you'll never have a chance. It also helps a lot if you're a cute girl, which is sad, but true of this company.

Another con is that you can be fired for really arbitrary things - regardless of how much of an asset you prove to be to your team.

You can literally be the best person at your job in your department and be let go without warning for a literally harmless misunderstanding! I know that from experience - and I'm still a little bitter - but, really, SOE is a wonderful company to work for and I'm thankful that I was able to enjoy so many years there.
Highly political
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 25, 2013
High levels of nepotism, play politics or watch people get promoted who don't know how to do their jobs but know how to talk
Temporary / Free Time
Beta Tester (Former Employee), Home BasedMarch 13, 2013
Pros: home my time.
I learned the advance things from these guys. I didnt really have any co-workers other than the people who reviwed my feedback and we never really met face to face so. But It was something I could do when I had nothing better to do... flexible hours my time.
A new thing to test everyday
Game Tester (Former Employee), Culver City, CAMarch 11, 2013
Pros: individual cubicles. hour lunches. relaxed atmosphere.
Cons: rich snobs wanted to move soe to san diego and laid off everyone.
Everyday when I go into work, there was always a new phone to test one of Sony's mobile phone games out. There was always something to do and report.
Great company, job not so much
Customer Support (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 5, 2013
Pros: great people, employees treated well.
Cons: difficult, unless you possess knowledge that the company can actually use.
Not the worst job in the world, but it tends to never grow. The same issues, the same customers who think it's okay to behave the way they do, the same feeling of dread every time the phone rings. Working there actually hurt what I traditionally do in other companies' eyes.
It was ok.
PRODUCER (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 20, 2012
Not a bad place to work. Typical corporate politics.

Tend to take on too many projects without enough people.

About Sony Online Entertainment

SOE you want to find a fun, massively multiplayer online game (MMOG), do you? Well, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) thinks it – Read more

Sony Online Entertainment Salaries