Sony Online Entertainment Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mesa, CASeptember 13, 2017
Work life balance was none existent at SOE. Upper Management lacked skills to be in that position and looked down upon people on my level. Great coworkers and leads
Again with this
International Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  San DiegoMay 1, 2017
Waste of time, I want to look for jobs, not spend forever writing reviews for companies that don't exist anymore such as SOE which closed a few years ago.
Productive and fun place to work
Artist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2017
My typical day would be to work closely with the art director with whatever he needed me to do that day or for several days. Part of my time at Sony was developing assets for Everquest or working on fixing armor bugs found by QA. My time spend at Sony was very enjoyable, the people I met and friends I made will last me a long time. One thing however is management would be very slow when I came to details mainly because it is such a big company.
Pros
Really Enjoyable and fun place to work at
Cons
hearing back from management took a while
Good culture
Technical Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2016
Sony Online Entertainment make and runs many online games. They were sold and renamed Daybreak games in 2015.
It was great!!!
Beta Tester (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 23, 2016
Very great experience and was really luck to get a test games without going though the program or moving to California, when I submitted reviews I knew my opinion mattered and a feeling of respect every time they thanked me for working. Most of the time I work with other gaming companies but SOE is one of the best!
Pros
worked from home, good pay, great people
Cons
No PS plus discount an less you are intern or hired into the company.
Great team of professionals
Senior Producer for Online Games (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 11, 2016
Great people to work with. Would like the opportunity to work with these teams again some day. Individual team/departments are top notch. Need a product owner instead of many stakeholders over each product.
Pros
New Ownership
Cons
Need an obvious product manager for each product
Freelance User Generated Content
Freelancer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 24, 2015
Created simple logo design for SOE/DBG's PlanetSide 2 property, the process was painless for the most part, got direct feedback from project art director.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Poor Management of Company
Company is Currently in Transition
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2015
For the past 6 years the company experienced financial problems and was put up for sale 2 years ago. This had a negative effect on workflow, compensation, and morale. The new owners have re-branded the company, cut the workforce and spending, and made changes in management. Employees are talented, bright, creative, and dedicated. When the company was growing, it was a joy to go to work. I sincerely hope they are able to recreate the vitality they once had and become an industry leader.
Good place to work.
Associate Artist (Former Employee) –  Miramar, CAApril 7, 2015
However poor decisions cause Sony to sell them and then they were required to lay off around 200 people. While I was there is was a good place to work, but it was short lived.
Job was fun, but management was inconsistant
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 29, 2015
Yup, I worked there many years ago. Good starting job for Online CS. Many times there were too many supervisors who were telling you conflicting policy.
Pros
Got to see a lot of cool movies, on the clock and they rented out theaters.
Cons
Never knew if you would have a job, the next day.
Awesome Company, maker of great games
Environment Artist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2015
it was awesome working at sony. great company culture and great people to work with. High standards and quality of product that gets created there. I would highly recommend Sony as a great place to work.
Pros
benefits, pay, people, energy, and work environment, games
Cons
fast deadlines, very fast paced work environment
Job security was always a looming concern for employees
Web Artist II / UI Artist and Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2015
Extremely creative people that worked there were always great to work with and talk to. Some positions were under-utilized.
Pros
Free coffee, excellent health benefits
Cons
Work/life balance is tough, location on Miramar was TERRIBLE.
fun work place
contractor artist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2015
I really loved working EverQuest. The people I worked with were like my second family. Although I was contracting I definatly felt like part of the team.
I was only an intern
Intern Student (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 24, 2015
I was only an intern, but I got a bitter taste from the others that worked there, and friendly advice not to pursue a career there.
Fun, caring, friendly, great environment, makes work feel like home.
shipping and receiving (Former Employee) –  san diego, CADecember 23, 2014
a typical day at sony is full of laughter and jokes but still focused on work, people can be themselves and express how they feel. everything is routine for the most part, I have learned a lot on how technology and creativity come together in the work environment, it is a video game development company after all. to be completely honest the hardest part of that job was clocking out and leaving, if you are someone who enjoys video games and technology its not easy to go home at the end of the work day. the most enjoyable part is receiving a truck load of orders for the marketing team, they always give away goodies to employees, its hard work and physically demanding but it pays off every time.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Bilingual (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2014
• Investigate new issues that come up and update team and supervisors with any new issues that come up from customers
• Resolve and respond to customer inquiries and queries
• Monitor many aspects of the online servers and track and report new issues that arise to different team members
• Organize and run events for the player base in the online community
• Analyze feedback and suggestions from players for continuous improvements of game.
• monitoring chats and in game activities to ensure that community standards are being met
• Perform investigation and documentation of game exploits, bugs and similar other issues pertaining to online gaming world.
• Trained another Spanish Customer Service by teaching him the tools and the features of the different software.
• Used my language skills for translation issue in different games.
The pay sucks, but everything else was pretty cool
Game Master/In-game Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2014
I worked as a Game Master for SOE just under 2 years. I was laid off the week before I was set to receive my 2 year work completion bonus (interesting coincidence).

The work itself is fun and you'll probably be working with cool people. My direct supervisors were also very cool but subject to wacky/stupid decisions by upper management (who we never saw or heard from).

As far as a "foot in the door" in the gaming industry this is a great start. If you have game design skills and speak up you might just end up on a development team. You'll learn a lot about the business end of the gaming industry.

The pay scale is pathetic for entry level. The Game Master position hourly pay rate had not changed for 8 years when I got there ($10/hour). It was recently raised to $11 in an attempt to compensate for health insurance and will likely remain just a smidgen over minimum wage for the remainder of the companies existence. For the level of expertise and accuracy they expect the pay rate is truly abysmal. I gave them 2 stars for compensation because the random non-monetary benefits are pretty sweet.
Pros
Free bagels/doughnuts every Friday, Random free game stuff, Cool coworkers, Fun job
Cons
Pay, Incompetent upper management, regular company wide layoffs
Exciting place to work
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2014
Answered phone calls and emails dealing with connectivity issues, problems with playing the games and billing issues.

Learned trouble shooting procedures for computer games.

Management was laid back and didn't micro manage the staff.

Hardest part was trying to explain to customers the company policy and telling them there is nothing that can be done to help them.

Most enjoyable part was the satisfaction of helping a customer resolve a technical problem their were having.
Management is uninvolved, complete discord between departments
QA i18n (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2014
Besides the perks such as free movies and bbqs, this job was an absolute nightmare. The management is completely uninvolved in what employees are doing. A week or two would go by and I would not hear anything from my supervisor who worked down the hallway. There was complete discord between QA and i18n and some of the translators were just downright nasty and unprofessional. Certain employees behaved so unprofessionally (screaming obscenities, banging on desks and computers) and upper management did nothing to acknowledge this behavior. I was let go because of politics between another coworker who had been there 2 years yet had no idea what she was doing. She was vindictive, nasty and a liar. I would never recommend this company to anyone!
Pros
free bbqs, free movies
Cons
horrible management, long hours, nasty coworkers
Amazing company, very relax environment, provided a lot of learning opportunities
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 25, 2014
I learned a different Payroll system (UltiPro), Great Plains for uploading Payroll Journal entries, run different reports.
Management was very understanding and supportive, great co-workers and excellent team players.
Pros
Great coffee and tea every day, and Fruit and donuts every Friday, some free movie events