Sony Online Entertainment

Sony Online Entertainment Employer Reviews

Amazing company, very relax environment, provided a lot of learning opportunities
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: great coffee and tea every day, and fruit and donuts every friday, some free movie events
I learned a different Payroll system (UltiPro), Great Plains for uploading Payroll Journal entries, run different reports.
Management was very understanding and supportive, great co-workers and excellent team players.
Long Hours, but I'd Do It Again!
Game Designer (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 23, 2013
Pros: advancement opportunities, benefits, fun work environment
Cons: frequent long hours, management frequently interferes with creative aspects
As most of the game designers, I worked my way up from their QA department. Hours were frequently long, but game development is a personal passion, so I didn't really feel it until several years in.

Was laid off after several years, which was unfun, but company was fair with severance and offered assistance with job transitioning.

Very creative atmosphere, – more... but if your game is in the spotlight, expect frequent interference and/or interruptions from management. – less
Game master duties
Game Master/Moderator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 27, 2013
General Game Master duties all day
Banned cheaters accounts
Banned accounts that broke the Terms of Service
Gave warnings when appropriate
Logged each banned account and the the reason for it
I really miss working here! Low pay - but unbelievable environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2013
Pros: plenty of office amenities, gaming/nerd culture, fun interaction with players
Cons: little advancement opportunity, temp agency hires, poor management and leadership, terrible insurance
I really loved working at SOE as a Game Master. Although the pay was very low, I stayed for many years because it was just such an enjoyable experience. I loved providing great customer service for the players, and I even enjoyed dealing with the difficult ones. The culture there is great, fun, and energetic. Food trucks come to the office almost every – more... day, there's a great little coffee stand on campus, company trips to the movies, dogs allowed in the office (not for customer service buildings, but it's still cool)

Now the cons... For customer service, you can only be hired on through a temp agency, Wired Talent, which means your insurance benefits are pretty much useless. Management in other departments is very good, but in customer service, not so much. Most managers seemed to just treat work as a social playdate every day, rather than focus on improving their team.

There is little room for advancement. They do offer apprenticeships for game design, which is really cool, however most of that is just doing the grunt work that the rest of the devs are too busy to deal with. You can only get hired on in design if you really work your butt off and play the networking game right - if you don't make friends with the right people, you'll never have a chance. It also helps a lot if you're a cute girl, which is sad, but true of this company.

Another con is that you can be fired for really arbitrary things - regardless of how much of an asset you prove to be to your team.

You can literally be the best person at your job in your department and be let go without warning for a literally harmless misunderstanding! I know that from experience - and I'm still a little bitter - but, really, SOE is a wonderful company to work for and I'm thankful that I was able to enjoy so many years there. – less
Highly political
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 25, 2013
High levels of nepotism, play politics or watch people get promoted who don't know how to do their jobs but know how to talk
Temporary / Free Time
Beta Tester (Former Employee), Home BasedMarch 13, 2013
Pros: home my time.
I learned the advance things from these guys. I didnt really have any co-workers other than the people who reviwed my feedback and we never really met face to face so. But It was something I could do when I had nothing better to do... flexible hours my time.
A new thing to test everyday
Game Tester (Former Employee), Culver City, CAMarch 11, 2013
Pros: individual cubicles. hour lunches. relaxed atmosphere.
Cons: rich snobs wanted to move soe to san diego and laid off everyone.
Everyday when I go into work, there was always a new phone to test one of Sony's mobile phone games out. There was always something to do and report.
Great company, job not so much
Customer Support (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 5, 2013
Pros: great people, employees treated well.
Cons: difficult, unless you possess knowledge that the company can actually use.
Not the worst job in the world, but it tends to never grow. The same issues, the same customers who think it's okay to behave the way they do, the same feeling of dread every time the phone rings. Working there actually hurt what I traditionally do in other companies' eyes.
It was ok.
PRODUCER (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 20, 2012
Not a bad place to work. Typical corporate politics.

Tend to take on too many projects without enough people.
Quality Assurance at Sony Online Entertainment
Quality assurance Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 17, 2012
Pros: stable, good people, good work place, perks.
Cons: pay, management, benefits
Sony Online Entertainment is a good company to work for, but the Quality Assurance department is another story. Since the majority of the employees in that department are contract, you're not actually working for Sony. It's very difficult to get ahead in that department unless you have good connections with the Sony employees. there seemed to be some – more... favoritism when promotions occurred, instead of fully judging contract employees by their achievements. I was there for over 3 years doing work well above the position I was in. I was always hard working, but was pushed to the side and eventually laid off when I said that I could not work on Sundays because of family reasons. This is not necessarily saying that Sony is a bad company to work for, it just depends on the department you're in. Still, I learned a lot in my three years of employment there, acquired so many different skills, and it was an enjoyable work environment to work in. I do not regret my time at SOE. – less
Fun work environment
Customer Service as Spanish Moderator (Former Employee), San DiegoAugust 3, 2012
Pros: free breakfeasts. fussball table.
Cons: low pay & heavy workload.
The work space given to each employee is very nice and personal. The assignments were well explained and the work was fun to do.
Japanese Localization Team (Former Employee), San DiegoApril 16, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
Great place to work with good people. Decent pay and a flexible hours. Would recommend it to anyone.
Fun environment with like-minded people
QA analyst (Former Employee), san diegoJanuary 5, 2012
Pros: ping pong, foozball(sp?), dinners, breakfasts
Cons: you need to stay on your toes at all times.
This was the best job I have ever had. Everyone is cool and fun. If you are into video games, this place is like a home away from home
It was a bad fit.
Worldwide Brand Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2012
I didnt really fit in to their corporate culture but those who do fit in seem to love it.

About Sony Online Entertainment

SOE you want to find a fun, massively multiplayer online game (MMOG), do you? Well, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) thinks it – Read more