Sony Pictures Employee Reviews

is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America(SCA). SPE’s global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television producti
Sr. Java/J2EE Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 17, 2012
• Used AGILE methodology for developing the application.
• As part of the lifecycle development prepared class model, sequence model and flow diagrams by analyzing Use cases using Rational Tools.
• Extensive use of SOA Framework for Controller components and view components.
• Involved in writing the exception and validation classes using Struts validation rules.
• Involved in writing the validation rules classes for general server side validations for implementing validation rules as part observer J2EE design pattern.
• Used OR mapping tool Hibernate for the interaction with database.
• Developed EJB tier using Session Facade, Singleton and DAO design patterns, which contains business logic, and database access functions.
• Developed tabs with rollover effect using JavaScript plus other effects
• Developed web services using SOAP and WSDL with Apache Axis 2.
• Developed, implemented, and maintained an asynchronous, AJAX based rich client for improved customer experience using XML data and XSLT templates.
• Developed SQL stored procedures and prepared statements for updating and accessing data from database.
• Development carried out under Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
• Used JBoss for deploying various components of application.
• Used JUNIT for testing and check API performance.
• Used SVN Version Control for Project Configuration Management
Wonderful People and a company cares about great work
Project Coordinator, Television Marketing (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAJanuary 15, 2014
One of the greatest places I've worked, with no two days the same. In Television Marketing, I focused on making sure all video-related Marketing materials were in top shape for distribution and promotions and always had a fun, supportive, creative team to work with. At times it is difficult to get headcount approved for additional help, so you're always wearing many hats, but all in all the people there make it possible.

In the past year or so, there have been some sizable cutbacks, particularly in regards to workplace culture (fewer organized department events, catered meetings reduced unless executives higher than VP are present, perks like stocked soft drink pantry and monthly office birthday breakfasts done away with entirely), but I'm confident that those will return at some point.
Pros
benefits include healthcare and athletic center facilities, on-site eateries
Cons
recent cutbacks, difficult to move up quickly, limited hiring for support positions.
Celebrate community heroes and changing lives on The Queen Latifah Show
Affiliate Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CADecember 3, 2014
Being the Affiliate Relations Manager at "The Queen Latifah Show, I'm responsible for all affiliate marketing needs for the show. My role is to be the liaison between Sony Pictures Television, "The Queen Latifah Show" and local affiliates to execute and support marketing needs in the local markets.

I enjoy working with our affiliates by exploring stories in their community that would be great segments for "The Queen Latifah Show." I also enjoy finding fantastic tie-in opportunities that stations can use for their local programming.

Working in Television can be challenging because viewers have so many options to chose from but it's a challenge that myself and "The Queen Latifah Show" staff accepts daily. Everyone is hard working, creative and at the end of the day our common goal is to create content that viewers can relate to, feel inspired and be entertained.
Pros
building strong relationships with stations
Cons
television shows don't last forever
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operation
Java/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAFebruary 26, 2015
• Involved in all phases of the Software development life cycle (SDLC) using Agile Methodology.
• Developed Use Case Diagrams, Object Diagrams and Class Diagrams in UML.
• Involved in writing Spring Configuration XML, file that contains declarations and business classes are wired-up to the frontend managed beans using Spring IOC pattern.
• Developed user interface using JSP, JSP Tag libraries and Java Script to simplify the complexities of the application.
• Developed various Java beans for performance of business processes and effectively involved in Impact analysis.
• Developed application service components and configured beans using Spring IoC, creation of Hibernate mapping files and generation of database schema.
Leaders in the company make this company a leader in the industry
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMarch 22, 2012
If you want to become a part of the entertainment world, you need to work at a studio, agency, or entertainment company. With its size, Sony is able to provide all of these features.

Similar to Paramont, Fox, and Universal, Sony is a big player in the game and offers every branch of the industry. With studios on site, its great to be able to experience every aspect of the entertainment industry.

Also, Sony provides contacts to many other little complementary companies that you visit for voice overs, production, and other editing needs.

My superiors at Sony were some of the best in the business and they were seasoned professionals. They made it a pleasure to work in the industry and were able to give valuable bits of information on how to succeed in the industry.
Wonderful place to work!
FINANCE COORDINATOR / PROCARD ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMay 20, 2015
A typical day at work involved running/submitting financial reports, analyzing data, corresponding with vendors and business units and meeting with my boss and department to discuss project goals. I enjoyed my position, as I had a lot of autonomy and felt productive and knowledgeable. The best part of my job was corresponding and assisting business units and customers, as well as collaborating with my department. The company morale was high and it appeared evident that employees enjoyed and appreciated working at Sony.
Pros
Great work environment, company implements life-work balance initiatives, amazing benefits/401K, etc., amazing employees and culture, great pay, plenty of company activities and events
Great place to work. Unpredictable and interesting.
Emergency Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 16, 2014
Working there was great. No two days were ever the same. But once the procedures were learned, you were prepared to handle any situation that occurred. My co-workers were like family. We worked in a small secure area so we all bonded very well. A typical day started with checking all the equipment and making sure everything worked properly. Then you were prepared to handle what the day brought your way. Also, althought this was not part of my job description, I was able to use my computer and networking skills up to a point to resolve any issue we had with the computer systems. I could only do so much because we had an IT dept, so I knew when to call them for help.
Pros
working in the entertainment industry.
Sony Pictures Entertainment is one of the best Companies to work for!
Director of Motion Picture Production Finance (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAMarch 27, 2015
Working in the Motion Picture Department at Sony was always fast paced and full of excitement! It was always great to collaborate with the many Departments involved in creating and making a Movie! My Colleagues varied from Directors, Producers, Executives, Accountants, and the Crew hired to work on each Film, and it was a rewarding experience working with such brilliant Individuals! The most challenging part of my daily work experience was not having enough hours in the day to get everything done! This job has taught me to have tenacity, patience, boldness and to become a "go getter"!
Pros
Great Benefits
Exciting place to work!
Temporary to Permanent / Sony Agency (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMarch 23, 2013
I was with this company for several years. Learned so much about almost every department as I started as a temp filling in for employees that were on vacation, sick leave, or what have you.
Eventually getting hired here full time was what I wanted and I landed a the job I really wanted. It was a great experience in digital assets; had the best boss, the best coworkers, working as a team and meeting to get acquainted with projects and coworkers once a week was exciting for me.
Pros
education, coworkers, cafeteria, special assignments, health benefits
Cons
not many, in the beginning temping was a little taxing but that is how you learn about other departments.
Great company
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAMay 8, 2015
Helping in finance team with
• Run queries and prepare SAP and excel reports for ad hoc requests from mangers and other special projects for the division and Corporate.
• Assist the management in preparing balance sheets, income statements, and financial closing and Complete monthly close and B/S reconciliation for multiple books ,Including Prepare and post accounting entries to record development and term deal expenses and accruals
• Reconcile month-end reports to general ledger, and prepare Corporate submissions and Assist operational/finance management special requests, Research and prepare responses to audit inquires
A great job experience
Executive/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 21, 2013
The over all environment was quite good, several nice people from the heads of the studio to the people who cleaned the offices every evening.

Worked in publicity and met everyone I could have imagined which I loved - even though I wish deep down I had never met some of them.

The hardest part of the job was juggling the EVP's ridiculously busy calendar, and trying to get track of everyone reporting to him from SVP's to interns and everyone in between.

The most enjoyable part of my time at Sony was that I made some incredible friends.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, convenient location.
Cons
egos and attitudes of filmmakers and stars.
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 30, 2014
• Extensively used event handling and data binding. Developed custom components, custom CSS as per the business requirements.
• Remotely connected to Linux servers for .ear deployments using putty and winSCP, copied local files to and from on the remote server.
• Create UI Errors (Custom Screens) for system failures such as the loss of the connection to Magic or DMR.
• Revised functional specification documents and did enhancements to the application as per the needs.
• Logged the issues/tickets to Quality Center and conducted testing in both dev and QA environments.
• Conducted KT sessions with Offshore TCS team and KT playback sessions.
Worse company I ever worked for!!
Sony Pictures TV (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 19, 2013
This place is a joke. High School cliques. Mean girls. Laziness. NO leadership. Bullying. People using slurs. Women wearing shorts and high heels to WORK!! The tighter and shorter your skirt the further you will probably get. Also, if you go to HR they will tell you, you & the person that have the problem, go fix it alone....we are not getting involved. Isn't that what HR is supposed to be there for? To mediate? Not here...beware and make sure you get what your salary will be because they promised me something and after I gave my notice at my job and talked to them again the lowered my number. Good luck in that cesspool.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Dead line driven environment requiring attention to detail, hard work, and great communication skills.
Product Analyst/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Inwood, NYMay 29, 2014
A typical day at Sony Pictures is unexpected. There are so many clients we service from all over the world, we have to be prepared to meet their needs. Everything needs to be completed by a deadline, and we have to ensure to meet that deadline regardless of how much time and effort it takes. This needs to be completed among additional projects including departmental reports, executive reports, research, digital distribution assistance, and any additional projects requested by management.
TV Ad Sales
VP-Pricing & Analysis-Syndication & Cable Ad Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2015
Working in tv ad sales for 11 years was the most knowledgeable and enjoyable experience. From day one, starting as an Assistant and ultimately ending up as a Vice President - I garnered as much knowledge as possible about the TV Ad Sales business. I worked on everything from Sales to Operations, learned the inner workings of every business deal and participated in many negotiations for these deals. The most enjoyable part of this job was being surrounded by such amazing people who truly wanted to teach and share their experiences with you.
Good place to work, but not much room for creativity
Production Designer (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CAOctober 29, 2012
Job revolved around the designing of print marketing materials for Sony Pictures Television. Work consisted anywhere from TV Show marketing binder, One-Sheet ads, web banners, and signage. The workers were easy to work with, and management did a good job keeping the workload steady. Since this is a corporate entity, a lot of brand guidelines were put in place, which made the creativity process stifling. Overall, its a good place to work in, but not great.
Pros
projects were fun and recognizable
Cons
job stability
Sony Pictures
Executive Assistant to the SVP and VP (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAJuly 25, 2013
I love this company. I think this is a great place to work for. My group does some exciting work. My bosses are great. The perks we have our nice such as a gym on the lot for employees to use.
In my position I assist two executives and directors. Sometimes I feel like I am being pulled all over the place but I have learned a lot from working here.
Pros
gym at work, film screenings, discounts on merch and electronics.
Cons
currently in my group there is no room for advancement, unless i leave for another group within the studio or move to another company.
Underpaid, overworked, but rewarding place to work
Worldwide Product Fulfillment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAMarch 3, 2015
Coworkers are great, management is questionable.
You take on a great deal of responsibility and priorities are somewhat "corporatized" but you end up learning a great amount of information about the industry. I feel somewhat that Sony is a little bit behind as far as technology is concerned. Some of the daily tasks are menial because they do not update their equipment.
Pros
learn to manage large workflows
Cons
contract employment is abundant, causes lack in benefits
Cannot Imagine a Better Place to Work or Better Managers
Sales Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2013
Small domestic syndication office with two sales professionals covering 60 DMAs. Position supports both people and acts as liaison between satellitel office and HQ in Los Angeles as well as offices in NY and Chicago. Works with Sales Admin and Distribution to ensure that stations receive programming.
Pros
huge brand, highest calibre people, entertainment industry, exciting
Cons
long periods of time spent alone
Not a good place to work.
Archive Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 31, 2015
I don't have alot of nice things to say about the company. I've met some wonderful, hardworking people but in terms of growth and reward, I feel there is little hope or chance.
Pros
Occasionally there will be a screening that will be interesting to see.
Cons
No true vacation time, raises have been on hold for all employees for two year, moving up is based on nepotism or luck, management is unqualified for their roles, hardwork is not rewarded, executives poor decisions, the hack

4.3