Sorenson Communications Employee Reviews

Corporate with multi-opinions, constant policy changes, ongoing goal changes.
Full-Time Outreach and Sales (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Self Starter, Total Communication with supervisor, challenges, working with customers
Cons: constant policy changes, corporate beliefs, becoming a war with other competitors
When I first joined this customer, it was about making a difference in customer's lives by breaking down communication barriers with the videophone devices we provide. As time goes by, it became a war with other competitors and trying to narrow customer's choices of devices to ours only- a monopolizing theory.

Flexible hours-start any time during the day, learned different types of people and how to approach them professionally. Good Supervisor but poor Vice-President and CEO. Very harsh people to work with. Co-workers are fun to work with. We are always sharing experiences and finding ways to be more effective the next time.

Choosing when to start work from home, help brighten up customer's lives and being able to go home with a good feeling is the best part of the job.
Good Learning environment, great co-workers and team environment, Management below average
Human Resource Administrator (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: good co-workers, comparible salary, great benefits
Cons: management confusion
I learned so much at Sorenson Communications. My co-workers were great, always helpful and a good team environment. Management seems to struggle about being on the same page. The VP of HR is new and trying to find his place in the world, very difficult when you have managers that have been around for years that are not in the mood to change. I think his answer is to hire his own people and have a fresh new start.
Great company hamstrung by Fed gov't
Operations (Former Employee), USAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: recognition, stead work, comfortable office environment
Cons: funding issues
I spent many years at Sorenson Communications and enjoyed my time there. The management is great and very open and engaged from the top to the bottom on the centers. My biggest issue is the lack of financial stability due to the government's pay rate fluctuations. This has also created a lack of substantial raises. Get your best rate before you start and its an Interpreter's dream job as long as you are willing to work.
Horrible work environment. 300 cubicles and employees but you can't talk to any of them.
Communications Assistant (Former Employee), Saint George, UTJanuary 20, 2015
This job was awful. Most days you go in and out of the office without saying a word to another person because the entire day is spent on the computer on the phone with the customer. The 94% active rate (that they track you on by the way) created a hostile work environment that pitted management against low level employee. Management only talked to you to scold you, no other messages. I worked there – more... for a year and a half and only learned the names of two people, both were my direct supervisors. The work was not gratifying and the entire facade of the business where they say that they are providing a need is in fact a scam. They have since been hampered by government regulation which is great because before they were taking advantage of tax payer money that was supposed to go to actually helping the disabled, which is certainly not what caption call was doing. – less
The job I wish I had never left
Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: hard working team, great life balance, snacks in the break room
Cons: lots of travel if you aren't into that
We worked hard and had lots of fun doing it.
Company was growing exponentially while I was there. We were building new call centers nearly every month. Traveled the country, got to meet lots of people.
The product made me feel good. I felt like I was helping a segment of the country (deaf and hard of hearing) have better quality of life with the product and services Sorenson provides.

Employees were awesome. Had the best co-workers. Management could sometimes be a little aloof with information or sometimes a little back-and-forth on direction.
Lots of meetings, but we worked hard to make them short and productive.
Will you be here next year?
Communications/Interpretor (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVDecember 22, 2014
Pros: decent pay, easy work
Cons: bid type schedules company in bk
They filed BK last year but they werent bad to work for. They overlooked some and promoted others. They send out broad emails cutting hours on a 14 day notice. Then they beg for volunteers daily ti early out, but if you need time off because of sickness, you cant have it. This companies stability would be my question. Upper mgrs are never seen or heard from unless its to give corrective letters.
Sorenson is an innovative technological company.
Director (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLOctober 28, 2014
o Responsible for Center morale and statistical analysis to maintain individual and center efficiency, utilizing employee schedule builds, Excel, Hiring and terminations and corrective action.
Stable and enjoyable workplace
Communications Assistant (Former Employee), Meridian, IDOctober 12, 2014
Pros: management cares and relates directly to employees
Excellent environment to work in. Extensive training is provided throughout your career, friendly co-workers and management all around.
Video Sign Language Interpreter (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSOctober 10, 2014
Pros: free massages and great pay
Cons: short breaks and work in cube all day.
rewarding job relay calls for deaf/hh customers. Hardest part is being in the cube for periods of time.
Opportunities for Fresh Interpreters
Video Relay Interpreter (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 16, 2014
While corporate oversight can sometimes be taxing, the management at the local level is very understanding and motivating. The professional development is very supportive to interpreters at all levels of their careers.
Good Service- Good people
Operations Coordinator Responsibilities (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: hours/ work life balance
Cons: pay
Working with some of the greatest people in the world. The front line employees are highly compensted and highly professional
Duties
Video Interpreter (Current Employee), Rochester NYSeptember 8, 2014
Designed templates in Articulate and Captivate; worked with SMEs.
Developed training materials using the ADDIE framework.
Obtained an Advance Instructional Design Certificate.
Attended Captivate Boot Camp.
Completed Articulate Storyline training.
Developed and presented synchronous webinar trainings.
Developed and presented synchronous workshops across US, Canada and Puerto
Rico
Created storyboards – more... in collaboration with SMEs and independently.
Organized and hosted large trainings for incoming national speakers.
Designed and ran a center-based mentorship program for over 40+ interpreters.
Designed and ran a certification prep classes for community and employees.
Completed an intense diagnostics training.
Developed resource materials, i.e. handbooks, reference material.
Effectively recruited several prospective employees.
Provided 1:1 support to the eastern region call centers.
Provided weekly screening and diagnostic assessments for existing employees and new hires. – less
Productive relax workplace
Communication Assistant (Former Employee), Taylorsville, UTSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: relax environment, flexible schedules, wonderful insurance
Cons: open 24/7 all year long
Relayed calls for the deaf and hard of hearing community. Learned how to be more patient. Management was amazing and always willing to jump in and help. Always answered questions without making you feel less then or stupid. Co-workers were friendly and outgoing. Hardest part of the job was having to deal with the hearing people and them not wanting to wait for the deaf/hard of hearing person to respond. I enjoyed assisting people and making everyday life somewhat easier!
Productive workplace is challenge
TECHNICAL SUPPORT (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 11, 2014
Pros: free snack, bonus, and met people
Cons: sitting lot in cube
Typical day and night at work, will training you to do update or any technology impact the service then educate the customer. The challenge the management time to handle your calls, if you did met the goal that get bonus.
Management Team
Technical Support (Current Employee), Rochester, NYApril 17, 2014
The management team in Technical Support are never in the same page. They always keep a grudge against 1 person and put it out on the entire team for no reason.
Very biased company
Trainer to be hired (Former Employee), PAMarch 23, 2014
Cons: all
Do NOT say anything related alcoholic beverages. This is a Mormon owned company. You will be not hired, or dropped like a hot potato.
Great place to work. Positive work enviroment
Communication Assistant (Current Employee), Meridian, IDFebruary 22, 2014
It is a call center environment. It's fast paced, but time goes fast, and I love serving customers.
I get along very well with my co--workers, everyone is willing to help each other if needed.
I feel its a privilege and rewarding to help assist the hearing impaired.
Great Company Mission
Manager (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 18, 2014
Great company mission
Hardest part of job is unpredictability
Install videophones for the deaf and hard of hearing
Trainer (Current Employee), Salt Lake City. UTJanuary 9, 2014
Create good customer skills, travel most part of Ohio. Developed good computer and networking skills.
Friendly and supportive environment with flexible management.
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 16, 2013
Pros: free food, flexibility, good pay for what you do.
Cons: tedious, lack of management, unproductive.
Typical day at work is to show up, make coffee, review technical notes and memos, then start taking calls. Take calls constantly until your break or lunch time. Return to work, take calls constantly until a memo meeting. Then resume taking calls, send out e-mails to customers, and follow up with customers until the end of the day.

On the side, depending on whether management gives you projects. You – more... do that during your free time. But most of the time, there's no real free time to do it since you're constantly taking calls. You're expected to do that outside of work (unpaid).

You learn quite a lot about networking here (at least that's what I appreciate about this job). But once you've learned the basics, it all becomes tedious. Such is the nature of this job.

Environment is somewhat mediocre. Colleagues are generally resistant to change and feedback. Meetings are unproductive. Management don't really manage. It is almost as if it's a free-for-fall environment. But they are generally supportive to what you need. This can be seen as a pro or con depending on how you like it. – less