Sorenson Communications Employee Reviews in United States

A good job to have for students!
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Price, UTJuly 5, 2016
This job is great for students who need hours on a flexible schedule. They worked with you as best as possible to fit you in while making sure you still fulfilled your other daily responsibilities. Management made great reward incentives to inspire you to do better than your best!
Pros
Flexible and Fun
Family-like atmosphere; enjoyable place to work
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 25, 2016
Encourages critical thinking, work well with co-workers, good relationship with management
Typically customers call into call center
They present issues, we ask them specific questions, gathering answers, work together to solve issues; provide solutions
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 3, 2016
It was easy to move up in the company when you showed initiative, the managers were pretty nice -- good people. It's definitely a little nicer than most call centers are. Though the job duties can be hard for some to swallow.
Pros
Good company, good culture
Cons
the job duties can be difficult for some
Data Collection Manager
Data Collection Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 15, 2016
I worked at Sorenson Communications..

I loved it very much as I felt their empower on me very well.

The hardest part is a lot of adapting and rush as a last min activating changed to meet the Vice president's expecting.

Responsible for database entry to ensure the accuracy of reporting. Managed a team in charge of statistic reporting and analysis of database entries to ensure the accuracy of the reporting.

Most enjoyable is to learning many new things.
Pros
Well pay.
Cons
Worked at your own pace!
Caption Call Trainer / Installer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 9, 2016
Typical day started early and finished early setting up appointments and fulfilling them. I learned how to install caption phones for the hearing inpaired. Management always answered question via phone call or email very fast. Hardest part was a lot of driving involved in this job. But made me happy to put smiles on people faces everyday
great job, but lousy raise
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2016
enjoyed job, very busy. but it very slow with raise money annual.

would great job if they pay better.

scheduling is main of job. work more than 40 hours during busy season.
Great way to help customers
Installer/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 19, 2016
I make calls/email/text customers to schedule an appointment. Then I prepare for an appointment by using a checklist. Meet with customer, explain what I'm going to do and proceed set up equipment. Train customer on features available on endpoints of their choosing. (TV, laptop, tablet, smartphone) Stay as long as possible until customer is comfortable with it. When they get excited about this device, all the features such as call waiting, signmail, phonebook, to name a few, available to them, it makes my day worthwhile.
The hardest part of my job is the drive. The commute varies, I travel to 6 counties. Some days are easy and short, others long winded.
I rarely see my co-workers as we work alone most of the time. When I do, it's getting together at conventions that we go once yearly.
I communicate with my manager via email weekly. I do all of the data entry for my visits, invoice and inventory. The hardest part of this job is that I depend on customers for the work. My hours varies, so is the pay.
Pros
Schedule my own appointments
Cons
not always enough work to fill up my hours
Enjoyable place to work but very busy
Video Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 27, 2015
Management at my location needed more development, but overall, Sorenson Communications was the leader in the field during the time I was there.
Love the Mission of Sorenson
Human Resource Generalist/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 20, 2015
I Love the Mission of what Sorenson does. I was able to learn a lot, and really enjoyed my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with all of the different managers and people.
A good company doing good for the community
Sr. Director Information Systems (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 1, 2015
Sorenson provides a very admirable service to the Deaf in the USA. As the market leader they are held to high standards and they do their best to meet them.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Limited growth
Good family/work balance permitted
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 10, 2015
Sorenson is good about taking care of their employees family and personal needs by allowing time off, unquestioned and assisting when tragic events occur.

Sorenson is deaf service provider and actively hires deaf associates. Not being able to sign or communicate in ASL makes getting the points across a little more difficult, though if both sides take a little time the message can be obtained.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Advancement more difficult as people do not leave often
Good Learning environment, great co-workers and team environment, Management below average
Human Resource Administrator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 25, 2015
I learned so much at Sorenson Communications. My co-workers were great, always helpful and a good team environment. Management seems to struggle about being on the same page. The VP of HR is new and trying to find his place in the world, very difficult when you have managers that have been around for years that are not in the mood to change. I think his answer is to hire his own people and have a fresh new start.
Pros
good co-workers, comparible salary, great benefits
Cons
management confusion
Great company hamstrung by Fed gov't
Operations (Former Employee) –  USAFebruary 17, 2015
I spent many years at Sorenson Communications and enjoyed my time there. The management is great and very open and engaged from the top to the bottom on the centers. My biggest issue is the lack of financial stability due to the government's pay rate fluctuations. This has also created a lack of substantial raises. Get your best rate before you start and its an Interpreter's dream job as long as you are willing to work.
Pros
recognition, stead work, comfortable office environment
Cons
funding issues
The job I wish I had never left
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 6, 2015
We worked hard and had lots of fun doing it.
Company was growing exponentially while I was there. We were building new call centers nearly every month. Traveled the country, got to meet lots of people.
The product made me feel good. I felt like I was helping a segment of the country (deaf and hard of hearing) have better quality of life with the product and services Sorenson provides.

Employees were awesome. Had the best co-workers. Management could sometimes be a little aloof with information or sometimes a little back-and-forth on direction.
Lots of meetings, but we worked hard to make them short and productive.
Pros
hard working team, great life balance, snacks in the break room
Cons
lots of travel if you aren't into that
Will you be here next year?
Communications/Interpretor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 22, 2014
They filed BK last year but they werent bad to work for. They overlooked some and promoted others. They send out broad emails cutting hours on a 14 day notice. Then they beg for volunteers daily ti early out, but if you need time off because of sickness, you cant have it. This companies stability would be my question. Upper mgrs are never seen or heard from unless its to give corrective letters.
Pros
decent pay, easy work
Cons
bid type schedules company in bk
Productive relax workplace
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTSeptember 2, 2014
Relayed calls for the deaf and hard of hearing community. Learned how to be more patient. Management was amazing and always willing to jump in and help. Always answered questions without making you feel less then or stupid. Co-workers were friendly and outgoing. Hardest part of the job was having to deal with the hearing people and them not wanting to wait for the deaf/hard of hearing person to respond. I enjoyed assisting people and making everyday life somewhat easier!
Pros
relax environment, flexible schedules, wonderful insurance
Cons
open 24/7 all year long
Horrible work environment. 300 cubicles and employees but you can't talk to any of them.
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTJanuary 20, 2015
This job was awful. Most days you go in and out of the office without saying a word to another person because the entire day is spent on the computer on the phone with the customer. The 94% active rate (that they track you on by the way) created a hostile work environment that pitted management against low level employee. Management only talked to you to scold you, no other messages. I worked there for a year and a half and only learned the names of two people, both were my direct supervisors. The work was not gratifying and the entire facade of the business where they say that they are providing a need is in fact a scam. They have since been hampered by government regulation which is great because before they were taking advantage of tax payer money that was supposed to go to actually helping the disabled, which is certainly not what caption call was doing.
Fun place to work, big breakroom to relax on lunch and break time.
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTJuly 9, 2013
Typical day at work was relaying calls for the deaf and hard of hearing community. We stayed pretty busy for the most part. The hardest part of my job was when the hearing party didn't understand what a relay call was even after explaining to them the process. But I always managed to get through it. Loved our management for the most part, always there to help us out and answer any questions. The thing I loved and will miss most about this job is the joy I got by assisting the deaf community. Working for Sorenson really opened my eyes to a whole new world and showed me just how many deaf people we have among us.
Love this job!!
Installer/ Video Phones/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 5, 2013
I love working for this company but unfortunately they laid me off due to contract has been terminated in 2008 of Dec. Working and training deaf or hard of hearing customers, installing, updating equipments, or fixing customers video phone. Always have a customer, the pay is awesome, the manager sometimes hard to communicate, sometimes non-responsive, traveling to client to clients homes, I love working with people and also working at the expos.
Technical Support Department Treated Poorly
Technical Support II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, New YorkNovember 15, 2011
While my short stint at Sorenson Communication I had confronted many inefficient methods of measuring coworkers' performance and the management doesn't really seem to care for coworkers' morale. It was difficult to express things without worrying that one would be punished for expressing concerns about the work environment.
Pros
no call queuing management, had to compete for calls, low morale
Cons
great benefits, good pay