Sotera Defense Solutions, Inc. Employee Reviews

Bad Company Owned by Investment Firm
Administrator (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 18, 2017
This company is owned and controlled by a California investment firm that knows nothing about the defense industry. The CEO has totally ruined several great companies they've acquired.
Pros
Cons
Poor Management, No Job Security, Poor Working Conditions, Low Employee Morale.
Work/Life balance discouraged
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 18, 2016
I was hired for a job by Sotera at a customer site. It was a contract they had just won and transitioned over several employees from the company that formerly he'd the contract.

The current employees had been in the system for several years, some double-digits. I was expected to be completely versed in under two months and didn't even have account for two weeks of that. I may have not been the perfect fit, but my experience would enable me to ultimately do well.

Because the company was new to the contract, they were unable back employees, especially those new to the program. I understand this, but Sotera has enough work to understand even with experience that it can take a while to completely learn a complex infrastructure.

There was a lot of back-stabbing and people throwing others under the bus among the government employees on the program and Sotera was not in a position to defend their people from this. Management itself was also unwilling to stand up to the customer and, in at least one case, demanded that I make sacrifices in my personal life to appease the customer, even if just for the sake of appearance.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Expensive benefits, management with no backbone
Just another body farm
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 15, 2016
I have great co-workers, and that's about where it stops. Contrary to what management claims, they're not interested in your growth or what you want to be doing. They want your butt in a seat so they can charge the government exorbitant rates for your expertise. You will rarely get a raise, and if you do, it'll be so small you won't even notice it. I'm regularly instructed to not rate people so high during evaluations, even though I'm on the front lines and see the great work people are doing. The VPs just slap each other on the back and the people actually creating the success get very little reward for making these clowns rich. As soon as the new CEO came in, the place became even more corporate than it was. They're losing people left and right and not doing that great a job winning new business. Benefits are average. Sick time and PTO are the same thing, so if you have kids, pray they never get sick. Otherwise, you'll never take an actual vacation.
Pros
I haven't been laid off yet
Cons
See above. Too many to list.
Great work environment
Contract Site Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYOctober 1, 2015
A challenging work environment that provides satisfaction for a job well done. Very rewarding work because of who our customer is.
No,No,No
N/A (Former Employee) –  DC Metro AreaSeptember 8, 2015
Please if you are planning on a short term job as you are waiting for another opportunity than go ahead and work there....but if you plan on making a career stay away from this company....salaries are not even close to what the job you will be doing is worth compared other places. The upper management is completely clueless and I found to be totally disconnected from anyone one contract. And don't even try to move around in the company, it will never happen unless you are already in a management role..I have seen this happen first hand on numerous occasions, where an current totally qualified employee would apply for a new position and they would get turned down and then an under qualified person would be hired from outside the company. My ex-collegues and I chalked to 1 thing..they could pay someone a lot less that was coming from the outside. It was good experience at first but after you are there for a bit you start seeing its true colors.
Pros
Worked with some of the best people in the world
Cons
Salaries, HR, Upper Mgmt.
I would not work here if possible
Consultant (Former Employee) –  VaAugust 5, 2014
Incompetent management, horrible HR department, and low pay. I highly recommend staying away from this company
Probably not a long term place to work.
PAYROLL (Former Employee) –  FREDERICK, MDDecember 31, 2013
Sotera appears to be a very stressed company after purchasing a few companies in 2012. Many top and low level employees have left or have been asked to leave during the past couple of years. I would imagine at this point in time the third party owners of Sotera probably wished they had never bought the company. Administration was understaffed, pushed to work too quickly, and the word quality took a back seat. Some very nice people have been asked to alter their lives too much to help the company.Not a company I would recommend to a friend.
Pros
Payroll is made every two weeks.
Cons
Company asks too much of its employees.
Application process
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/AOctober 29, 2013
Not impressed with a company that asks for part of your social security number and your day and month of birth in order to apply for a job. I'm not that desperate to find a job! Shows poor ethics and a company I don't want to work for.
Great mission/employer/team
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC areaDecember 15, 2012
I'm the former employee of this company who very accidentally wrote a comment that appeared critical of the company. Here's what I meant to say:

I would recommend this company to anyone, PARTICULARLY those interested in working in a nurturing environment, with great benefits, and in pursuit of a critical U.S. national security mission.
Dedicated to a key mission, and to keeping employees happy.
All-Source Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 22, 2012
I would recommend this company to anyone except those interested in working in a nurturing environment, with great benefits, and in pursuit of a critical U.S. national security mission.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sotera Defense Solutions, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5