Sotera Defense Solutions, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Work/Life balance discouraged
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 18, 2016
I was hired for a job by Sotera at a customer site. It was a contract they had just won and transitioned over several employees from the company that formerly he'd the contract.

The current employees had been in the system for several years, some double-digits. I was expected to be completely versed in under two months and didn't even have account for two weeks of that. I may have not been the perfect fit, but my experience would enable me to ultimately do well.

Because the company was new to the contract, they were unable back employees, especially those new to the program. I understand this, but Sotera has enough work to understand even with experience that it can take a while to completely learn a complex infrastructure.

There was a lot of back-stabbing and people throwing others under the bus among the government employees on the program and Sotera was not in a position to defend their people from this. Management itself was also unwilling to stand up to the customer and, in at least one case, demanded that I make sacrifices in my personal life to appease the customer, even if just for the sake of appearance.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Expensive benefits, management with no backbone
No,No,No
N/A (Former Employee) –  DC Metro AreaSeptember 8, 2015
Please if you are planning on a short term job as you are waiting for another opportunity than go ahead and work there....but if you plan on making a career stay away from this company....salaries are not even close to what the job you will be doing is worth compared other places. The upper management is completely clueless and I found to be totally disconnected from anyone one contract. And don't even try to move around in the company, it will never happen unless you are already in a management role..I have seen this happen first hand on numerous occasions, where an current totally qualified employee would apply for a new position and they would get turned down and then an under qualified person would be hired from outside the company. My ex-collegues and I chalked to 1 thing..they could pay someone a lot less that was coming from the outside. It was good experience at first but after you are there for a bit you start seeing its true colors.
Pros
Worked with some of the best people in the world
Cons
Salaries, HR, Upper Mgmt.
Great work environment
Contract Site Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYOctober 1, 2015
A challenging work environment that provides satisfaction for a job well done. Very rewarding work because of who our customer is.
Probably not a long term place to work.
PAYROLL (Former Employee) –  FREDERICK, MDDecember 31, 2013
Sotera appears to be a very stressed company after purchasing a few companies in 2012. Many top and low level employees have left or have been asked to leave during the past couple of years. I would imagine at this point in time the third party owners of Sotera probably wished they had never bought the company. Administration was understaffed, pushed to work too quickly, and the word quality took a back seat. Some very nice people have been asked to alter their lives too much to help the company.Not a company I would recommend to a friend.
Pros
payroll is made every two weeks.
Cons
company asks too much of its employees.
Great mission/employer/team
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC areaDecember 15, 2012
I'm the former employee of this company who very accidentally wrote a comment that appeared critical of the company. Here's what I meant to say:

I would recommend this company to anyone, PARTICULARLY those interested in working in a nurturing environment, with great benefits, and in pursuit of a critical U.S. national security mission.
Dedicated to a key mission, and to keeping employees happy.
All-Source Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 22, 2012
I would recommend this company to anyone except those interested in working in a nurturing environment, with great benefits, and in pursuit of a critical U.S. national security mission.
I would not work here if possible
Consultant (Former Employee) –  VaAugust 5, 2014
Incompetent management, horrible HR department, and low pay. I highly recommend staying away from this company