Sotera Defense Solutions

Sotera Defense Solutions Employer Reviews

Great team of talented people
Business analyst (Former Employee), McLean VirginiaJuly 23, 2014
I enjoyed the team I have worked with and the atmosphere of work which allowed for thought and innovation and encourage team participation and a since of family. The contract ended due to government cuts.
Productive and nice place to work
Network Engineer (Current Employee), Rockville, MDJune 2, 2014
This was a temporary project that I really enjoyed working on. The work environment was very layed back, which brought an ease of concentration.
Outstanding
Staff Engineer (Former Employee), Herndon, VAApril 11, 2014
Pros: wonderful environment
Cons: na
Busy
Valuable knowledge
Excellent
great co-workers
Job easy
Going to work everyday
Not a good fit for long term employment
Payroll (Former Employee), Frederick, MarylandJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: payroll is there every two weeks.
Cons: your non-work life can suffer working there.
Sotera is owned by another investment group who has no history in this field and it shows. Administration where I worked was stressed and understaffed. Speed was the number one objective and the word "quality" always took a back seat. That may be the normal at most places of work however. This appears to be a very stressed company financially at this – more... point. Please keep that in mind before you accept a job there. The employees that I worked with were very nice people but they had been asked to give up too much family life to be happy. – less
The company was one of the better companies that I have worked for.
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee), DHS (D.C.), DIA (Reston)December 10, 2013
Pros: good communication, except during contract negotiations. mobility.
Cons: started to lose some benefits (pto, holidays, healthcare costs)
I enjoyed working for the company. I received respectable pay, and enjoyed some company perks (ie. box seats at the Verizon Center). I would have loved to have continued working for the company, however major contract adjustments were made, thus not allowing me, and many others to continue to do so.
Very well rounded company
Training Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington DC Metro AreaNovember 21, 2013
Pros: ability to move and advance
Sotera Defense Solutions has afforded me several advancement opputunities since I started with them in 2007. They are a very personable company where you don't feel like just a number, but you are part of a team and a large family.
Familiar with IT Infastructure. Learned VMWare Sphere Client 5.0 and other Web-based Tools Productive, Dedicated and Motivated.
Close Support Member/CMA (Former Employee), Herndon, VANovember 20, 2013
Cons: training
Good people to work with, but very dependent on DoD work
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee), Chantilly, VAOctober 26, 2013
Pros: good people, interesting work
Cons: healthcare benefits keep getting more and more expensive...
Sotera Defense Solutions has a lot of good people to work with. Mainly a DoD subcontractor for most projects, which means defense cuts really hurt the company.

Culture depends on which sector you are in.
Just a number
All Source Intelligence SME (Current Employee), Reston, VAJuly 24, 2013
Pros: they leave you alone to do your work and don't interfere with your personal time (e.g. training, activity reports, meetings, etc.).
Cons: top down communication is extremely lacking, mainly at the pm level, and there's no feeling of a "career" with the company, only a job for as long as the contract is good.
The impression that I got from this company is that they do not care about their employees. I felt more like a number than I did an employee.

It's been my experience that smaller companies go the extra mile to make sure they let their employees know they care and that they are more than just a timecard or employee number. They strive to let them know – more... that they want their employees to make a "career" with the company instead of just work a job. But I did not feel this way with Sotera at all.

I do not see myself ever working for this company again. – less
Worked for Sotera since 2010
All Source Analyst (Current Employee), Herndon, VAMarch 7, 2013
Pros: lunches with my recruiter just to make sure if everything is fine and i am happy with sotera
Cons: company website is hard to access.
I had a very enjoyable experience working for Sotera. The Human Resource Department is very efficient and being able to talk to management is even easier.
They are professional and very responsible for their staff as well as to their staff.
Co-workers are very hard working but I looked forward to working with them since they came to work with the best – more... attitude and professionalism. You work hard during the day but you go home feeling that you have accomplished the duties that have been put before you and they praise you for it.

Sotera is by far the best company I have ever worked for. – less
See Below
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), McLean, VAFebruary 26, 2013
Great company to work for. The management team is very personable and willing to listen to their employees.
Great Company, Few Opportunities
Team Lead / Counterterrorism Analyst (Current Employee), Reston, VAFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: great colleagues
Cons: few opportunities
I currently lead a team of analysts for the Defense Intelligence Agency. I can provide more information upon request as the work can not be described in this forum.

Sotera is a great company but doesn't offer enough advancement opportunities. I am looking to grow my career within the realm of management and proposal development.
Built water treatment trailors for soldiers overseas.
Electrician (Former Employee), Frederick, MDFebruary 11, 2013
Great place to work with fun and motivated peers and employees.
Good working environment and knowledgeable staff
Senior Business Analyst/Consultant (Current Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 20, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: open work environment is distracting
Great place to work. Hours are flexible and management is supportive. People are smart and hardworking. Project is very secure and stable.
Great company from top to bottom
system administrator /network tech (Former Employee), chantillyJanuary 11, 2013
It is a wonderful company to work they really try to take care of you in i buiness twhere that is very rare
use to be a good place to work
nobody (Current Employee), marylandDecember 7, 2012
can not expect good people to succeed in a lousy organization !
Friendly people make the long days better
Business Development Analyst (Former Employee), Easton, MDNovember 30, 2012
I loved working for this company. I am a workaholic and it offered me the opportunity to work day and night.
Fun project, flexible hours.
Project Analyst (Current Employee), North Charleston, SCNovember 1, 2012
Pros: flexiblility
Cons: limited growth
Enjoyed working indepentantly on the project and having flexible hours. Looking for somthing where I can have security and grow with a team atmosphere.
A fulfilling working experience
Production Coordinator (Current Employee), Frederick, MDSeptember 17, 2012
Pros: flexibility and competitive benefits
Cons: current job stability
My typical day at work is very challenging, with opportunity to perform many diverse tasks. During my 23 years with this company, I have had the opportunity to gain a vast knowledge of materials, Engineering, manufacturing and production. Our management team is attempting to keep up with the ever-changing focus and goals of our country's military. Some – more... of my co-workers are the best people I have ever worked with. The most difficult part of my job is the difficult processes necessary to complete every day tasks. The most enjoyable part of my job is the ability to do whatever is necessary to assure that the job gets completed. – less
Not a good environment
Recruiter (Former Employee), McLean, VAJuly 19, 2012
Very negative and full of micromanagement and excessive wasting of time reporting your every single move. They claim to be a family company but do absolutely nothing to help employees but spend most of their days in meetings just pointing their fingers at who is to blame. They have had a lot of problems with the growing pains of buying other companies – more... and have lost what made them a good company to work for. I don't see them being successful unless this turns around, but the problem is in upper management for the most part which is why you see such horrible turnover rates right now. – less

About Sotera Defense Solutions

Sotera Defense Solutions, Inc. (Sotera) is an agile, mid-tier national security technology company that delivers innovative systems, – Read more