Sotera Defense Solutions

Sotera Defense Solutions United States Employee Reviews

This was a very fun and enjoyable place to work. I learned a lot and was challenged each and every day.
Receptionist, then Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VA 23452January 18, 2015
Pros: loved working with dod, senior software engineers and corporate employees of sotera defense solutions
Cons: it was difficult wondering from year to year if the contracts would be there.
It was fun and enjoyable working at Sotera Defense Solutions. I only left after being laid off due to the absence in government contracts. I was fortunate enough to work there for almost four (4) years.

I enjoyed being the Travel Coordinator for the senior software engineers and corporate employees.
IT Department
Information Security Systems Officer (Former Employee), Springfield, VAJanuary 4, 2015
Wonderful experience due to supervisor, she was willing to mentor those who wanted to learn.
Strong Company
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Vienna, VANovember 18, 2014
Great leadership, many opportunities for advancement. Highly cleared positions and encourages independent work.
Great team of talented people
Business analyst (Former Employee), McLean VirginiaJuly 23, 2014
I enjoyed the team I have worked with and the atmosphere of work which allowed for thought and innovation and encourage team participation and a since of family. The contract ended due to government cuts.
Productive and nice place to work
Network Engineer (Current Employee), Rockville, MDJune 2, 2014
This was a temporary project that I really enjoyed working on. The work environment was very layed back, which brought an ease of concentration.
Not a good fit for long term employment
Payroll (Former Employee), Frederick, MarylandJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: payroll is there every two weeks.
Cons: your non-work life can suffer working there.
Sotera is owned by another investment group who has no history in this field and it shows. Administration where I worked was stressed and understaffed. Speed was the number one objective and the word "quality" always took a back seat. That may be the normal at most places of work however. This appears to be a very stressed company financially at this point. Please keep that in mind before you accept a job there. The employees that I worked with were very nice people but they had been asked to give up too much family life to be happy.
The company was one of the better companies that I have worked for.
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee), DHS (D.C.), DIA (Reston)December 10, 2013
Pros: good communication, except during contract negotiations. mobility.
Cons: started to lose some benefits (pto, holidays, healthcare costs)
I enjoyed working for the company. I received respectable pay, and enjoyed some company perks (ie. box seats at the Verizon Center). I would have loved to have continued working for the company, however major contract adjustments were made, thus not allowing me, and many others to continue to do so.
Very well rounded company
Training Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington DC Metro AreaNovember 21, 2013
Pros: ability to move and advance
Sotera Defense Solutions has afforded me several advancement opputunities since I started with them in 2007. They are a very personable company where you don't feel like just a number, but you are part of a team and a large family.
Familiar with IT Infastructure. Learned VMWare Sphere Client 5.0 and other Web-based Tools Productive, Dedicated and Motivated.
Close Support Member/CMA (Former Employee), Herndon, VANovember 20, 2013
Cons: training
Good people to work with, but very dependent on DoD work
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee), Chantilly, VAOctober 26, 2013
Pros: good people, interesting work
Cons: healthcare benefits keep getting more and more expensive...
Sotera Defense Solutions has a lot of good people to work with. Mainly a DoD subcontractor for most projects, which means defense cuts really hurt the company.

Culture depends on which sector you are in.
Good company
Senior All-Source Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Fairfax Co, VAOctober 3, 2013
Good mid-sized Defense Contractor. Started with Signature, aquired by Global and then re-named to Sotera.
Just a number
All Source Intelligence SME (Current Employee), Reston, VAJuly 24, 2013
Pros: they leave you alone to do your work and don't interfere with your personal time (e.g. training, activity reports, meetings, etc.).
Cons: top down communication is extremely lacking, mainly at the pm level, and there's no feeling of a "career" with the company, only a job for as long as the contract is good.
The impression that I got from this company is that they do not care about their employees. I felt more like a number than I did an employee.

It's been my experience that smaller companies go the extra mile to make sure they let their employees know they care and that they are more than just a timecard or employee number. They strive to let them know that they want their employees to make a "career" with the company instead of just work a job. But I did not feel this way with Sotera at all.

I do not see myself ever working for this company again.
Worked for Sotera since 2010
All Source Analyst (Current Employee), Herndon, VAMarch 7, 2013
Pros: lunches with my recruiter just to make sure if everything is fine and i am happy with sotera
Cons: company website is hard to access.
I had a very enjoyable experience working for Sotera. The Human Resource Department is very efficient and being able to talk to management is even easier.
They are professional and very responsible for their staff as well as to their staff.
Co-workers are very hard working but I looked forward to working with them since they came to work with the best attitude and professionalism. You work hard during the day but you go home feeling that you have accomplished the duties that have been put before you and they praise you for it.

Sotera is by far the best company I have ever worked for.
See Below
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), McLean, VAFebruary 26, 2013
Great company to work for. The management team is very personable and willing to listen to their employees.
Great Company, Few Opportunities
Team Lead / Counterterrorism Analyst (Current Employee), Reston, VAFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: great colleagues
Cons: few opportunities
I currently lead a team of analysts for the Defense Intelligence Agency. I can provide more information upon request as the work can not be described in this forum.

Sotera is a great company but doesn't offer enough advancement opportunities. I am looking to grow my career within the realm of management and proposal development.
Built water treatment trailors for soldiers overseas.
Electrician (Former Employee), Frederick, MDFebruary 11, 2013
Great place to work with fun and motivated peers and employees.
Good working environment and knowledgeable staff
Senior Business Analyst/Consultant (Current Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 20, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: open work environment is distracting
Great place to work. Hours are flexible and management is supportive. People are smart and hardworking. Project is very secure and stable.
Great company from top to bottom
system administrator /network tech (Former Employee), chantillyJanuary 11, 2013
It is a wonderful company to work they really try to take care of you in i buiness twhere that is very rare
use to be a good place to work
nobody (Current Employee), marylandDecember 7, 2012
can not expect good people to succeed in a lousy organization !
Friendly people make the long days better
Business Development Analyst (Former Employee), Easton, MDNovember 30, 2012
I loved working for this company. I am a workaholic and it offered me the opportunity to work day and night.

About Sotera Defense Solutions

Sotera Defense Solutions, Inc. (Sotera) is an agile, mid-tier national security technology company that delivers innovative systems, – Read more

Sotera Defense Solutions Salaries