Sotera Defense Solutions Employee Reviews in United States

Business Growth over Employee Growth and Professional Development
Pr. Information Systems Security Engineer (ISSE) (Former Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDJune 14, 2015
The story of a job placement company trying to be a defense contractor. All staff meetings were to tell employees about acquisitions and plans for company revenue growth. Only discussion of employee success was due to a project team's efforts prior to their previous company being acquired.
Pros
Great salary (due to customer rate)
Cons
Extremely poor advancement opportunities
Not an enjoyable place to work
Corporate (Current Employee) –  VA, Columbia areaMay 26, 2015
There appears to be some financial issues since everything discussed centers around money and how the company can make more, or at least enough to meet debt obligations.

There is not any job security. Every day is questionable whether there will be a tomorrow.

Coworkers are nice but above that becomes less than satisfying and supportive.
Pros
Nice non-management employees
Cons
Work life, management, training/education
This was a very fun and enjoyable place to work. I learned a lot and was challenged each and every day.
Receptionist, then Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23452January 18, 2015
It was fun and enjoyable working at Sotera Defense Solutions. I only left after being laid off due to the absence in government contracts. I was fortunate enough to work there for almost four (4) years.

I enjoyed being the Travel Coordinator for the senior software engineers and corporate employees.
Pros
loved working with dod, senior software engineers and corporate employees of sotera defense solutions
Cons
it was difficult wondering from year to year if the contracts would be there.
Excellent place to work
Counter-Terrorism Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAMay 11, 2015
Pros:
Excellent Management
Good Pay
Flexible work schedule
If contract was lost, company would work with you to find a new contract.

Cons
Contract work
Not a good fit for long term employment
Payroll (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MarylandJanuary 2, 2014
Sotera is owned by another investment group who has no history in this field and it shows. Administration where I worked was stressed and understaffed. Speed was the number one objective and the word "quality" always took a back seat. That may be the normal at most places of work however. This appears to be a very stressed company financially at this point. Please keep that in mind before you accept a job there. The employees that I worked with were very nice people but they had been asked to give up too much family life to be happy.
Pros
payroll is there every two weeks.
Cons
your non-work life can suffer working there.
The company was one of the better companies that I have worked for.
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  DHS (D.C.), DIA (Reston)December 10, 2013
I enjoyed working for the company. I received respectable pay, and enjoyed some company perks (ie. box seats at the Verizon Center). I would have loved to have continued working for the company, however major contract adjustments were made, thus not allowing me, and many others to continue to do so.
Pros
good communication, except during contract negotiations. mobility.
Cons
started to lose some benefits (pto, holidays, healthcare costs)
Not a good environment
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 19, 2012
Very negative and full of micromanagement and excessive wasting of time reporting your every single move. They claim to be a family company but do absolutely nothing to help employees but spend most of their days in meetings just pointing their fingers at who is to blame. They have had a lot of problems with the growing pains of buying other companies and have lost what made them a good company to work for. I don't see them being successful unless this turns around, but the problem is in upper management for the most part which is why you see such horrible turnover rates right now.
A fulfilling working experience
Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDSeptember 17, 2012
My typical day at work is very challenging, with opportunity to perform many diverse tasks. During my 23 years with this company, I have had the opportunity to gain a vast knowledge of materials, Engineering, manufacturing and production. Our management team is attempting to keep up with the ever-changing focus and goals of our country's military. Some of my co-workers are the best people I have ever worked with. The most difficult part of my job is the difficult processes necessary to complete every day tasks. The most enjoyable part of my job is the ability to do whatever is necessary to assure that the job gets completed.
Pros
flexibility and competitive benefits
Cons
current job stability
Worked for Sotera since 2010
All Source Analyst (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 7, 2013
I had a very enjoyable experience working for Sotera. The Human Resource Department is very efficient and being able to talk to management is even easier.
They are professional and very responsible for their staff as well as to their staff.
Co-workers are very hard working but I looked forward to working with them since they came to work with the best attitude and professionalism. You work hard during the day but you go home feeling that you have accomplished the duties that have been put before you and they praise you for it.

Sotera is by far the best company I have ever worked for.
Pros
lunches with my recruiter just to make sure if everything is fine and i am happy with sotera
Cons
company website is hard to access.
Great Company, Few Opportunities
Team Lead / Counterterrorism Analyst (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 21, 2013
I currently lead a team of analysts for the Defense Intelligence Agency. I can provide more information upon request as the work can not be described in this forum.

Sotera is a great company but doesn't offer enough advancement opportunities. I am looking to grow my career within the realm of management and proposal development.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
few opportunities
Just a number
All Source Intelligence SME (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 24, 2013
The impression that I got from this company is that they do not care about their employees. I felt more like a number than I did an employee.

It's been my experience that smaller companies go the extra mile to make sure they let their employees know they care and that they are more than just a timecard or employee number. They strive to let them know that they want their employees to make a "career" with the company instead of just work a job. But I did not feel this way with Sotera at all.

I do not see myself ever working for this company again.
Pros
they leave you alone to do your work and don't interfere with your personal time (e.g. training, activity reports, meetings, etc.).
Cons
top down communication is extremely lacking, mainly at the pm level, and there's no feeling of a "career" with the company, only a job for as long as the contract is good.
Good people to work with, but very dependent on DoD work
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAOctober 26, 2013
Sotera Defense Solutions has a lot of good people to work with. Mainly a DoD subcontractor for most projects, which means defense cuts really hurt the company.

Culture depends on which sector you are in.
Pros
good people, interesting work
Cons
healthcare benefits keep getting more and more expensive...
Very well rounded company
Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington DC Metro AreaNovember 21, 2013
Sotera Defense Solutions has afforded me several advancement opputunities since I started with them in 2007. They are a very personable company where you don't feel like just a number, but you are part of a team and a large family.
Pros
ability to move and advance
Familiar with IT Infastructure. Learned VMWare Sphere Client 5.0 and other Web-based Tools Productive, Dedicated and Motivated.
Close Support Member/CMA (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 20, 2013
Cons
training
Good working environment and knowledgeable staff
Senior Business Analyst/Consultant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 20, 2013
Great place to work. Hours are flexible and management is supportive. People are smart and hardworking. Project is very secure and stable.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
open work environment is distracting
Great team of talented people
Business analyst (Former Employee) –  McLean VirginiaJuly 23, 2014
I enjoyed the team I have worked with and the atmosphere of work which allowed for thought and innovation and encourage team participation and a since of family. The contract ended due to government cuts.
decent, but growth has changed culture
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 5, 2012
The focus on growth through acquisition has negatively affected the smal-company corporate culture that the organization once had.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
losing its small-company feel
Fun project, flexible hours.
Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCNovember 1, 2012
Enjoyed working indepentantly on the project and having flexible hours. Looking for somthing where I can have security and grow with a team atmosphere.
Pros
flexiblility
Cons
limited growth
IT Department
Information Security Systems Officer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 4, 2015
Wonderful experience due to supervisor, she was willing to mentor those who wanted to learn.
Strong Company
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 18, 2014
Great leadership, many opportunities for advancement. Highly cleared positions and encourages independent work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sotera Defense Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9