Sotheby's

Sotheby's Employee Reviews

productive and fun
Art Handler (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 17, 2014
Sotheby's was a good company, the co-workers great guys and fun working with them
A true learning experience
Real Estate Assistant (Former Employee), Riverdale, NYFebruary 11, 2014
This job was unlike any other I had previously held. I learned the ins and outs of real estate and what it takes to sell a home. I worked firsthand with a certified agent and assisted her in her daily duties of listings and reaching out to the community. The hardest part of the job was that I was doing a lot of the duties of an agent, but I was not an agent by certification standards. The most enjoyable part was open houses and making the customers feel welcome.
Intellectually interesting and fast paced environment
Business Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee), New York CityJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: great working environment
From my early days, I enjoyed meeting and cultivating new clients, I helped them navigate the nuances of the auction process and ultimately assisted them with successful purchases or sales thereby driving revenue for the company. Not only did I increase sales for our department but also developed a broad client base which formed a strong foundation for each auction season. Those experiences prepared me for the second phase in my career. I moved within corporate headquarters and focused on internal clients (colleagues). I joined a small team to revitalize our satellite offices in North and South America. This was not an easy time, but one which provided a fertile teaching ground on how to handle difficult situations with diplomacy and sincerity. We were tasked with implementing new processes and procedures to ensure that our clients continued to receive the same exceptional service. This knowledge proved helpful in the following years when we increased our presence in Texas and other areas around North and South America.

Currently I focus on internal clients but with an emphasis on finance and client development strategy. During this time, I have honed my skills at translating financial information from our analysts into terms that are easily understood by our senior staff and vice versa. I work with our senior business development officers to grow the business as well as deepen the relationships with our current client base.

The environment is energetic and always interesting. My colleagues come from diverse backgrounds with different interests that lend to a unique working environment.
Client Service Representative
Client Service Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 22, 2013
Work in the Client Services department helping with the exhibition and auctions
Do not work for this company
Hardworking Employee (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 11, 2012
Pros: you can tell people that you work for sotheby's.
Cons: you can't tell your family how much you're making at sotheby's for what you do.
If you see a job listing posted by Sotheby's, think twice before you sell yourself to the devil. I firmly believe that once you find out why these jobs have become available, you wouldn't ever want to work for them. Don't let the name and reputation fool you because the company has a great deal of issues that are being neglected which will eventually lead to its failure. The lack of culture and human empathy, the abundance of conspiracy, envy and greed are causing more and more poorly made decisions.

You might think, "Hey, a job is a job. At least it's money." But you will soon find out that all of the sacrifice you make and possible humiliation the company would put you through are not worth the insulting salary they offer.

Several staff members have extremely unprofessional behaviors which you might find unbelievable.
Do not work for this company
Hardworking Employee (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 11, 2012
Pros: you can tell people that you work for sotheby's.

Great learning experience, awful employer
Someone who dreamed about working at Sotheby's (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 12, 2012
Pros: opportunity to see world's greatest works of art and to learn about the business, great networking opportunity
Cons: you will work really hard and regret working hard for them.
It's pretty simple - if you are one of the following, you'll do fine:

1) A business getter
2) A specialist who is the best at he/she does
3) An extremely smooth talker
4) A descendent of a super wealthy family, most likely a client
5) A graduate from Sotheby's Institute of Art (sometimes)

Otherwise, learn as much as you can to build up your asset and find another job. You might hesitate because some of the colleagues are truly knowledgeable and amicable but their management team will not be hesitant to release you once you are no longer considered a "valuable asset".

There is no one genuinely happy at their job nor is there anyone who can inspire. Those who want a normal life quit their jobs because they are miserable without the proper compensation.
Demanding, must have a love for the arts.
Client Service Associate, Temporary (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 4, 2012
Excellent insight and accessibility to the world class fine and decorative art industry.
Great corporate culture, privileged access to fine art, poor compensation and career advancement at midlevel
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 22, 2012
A wonderful work environment for those interested in fine art and antiquities. Strong positive corporate culture. Entry and mid level support positions are underpaid and often without advancement opportunities. Compensation and rewards of non officers are not reflective of quantifiable results or quality of performance.
Summary
Editorial Assistant/Floater (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 8, 2012
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
A competitive and model global auction house situated in New York City.
great environment and great staff to work with
art handler (Current Employee), new york new yorkFebruary 24, 2012
great company to work for, great managment staff and a good environment for workers and clients

About Sotheby's

Sotheby's believes that one man's collection is another man's treasure -- especially when that collection is a rare antique, a unique – Read more