Sotheby's

Sotheby's Employer Reviews

A true learning experience
Real Estate Assistant (Former Employee), Riverdale, NYFebruary 11, 2014
This job was unlike any other I had previously held. I learned the ins and outs of real estate and what it takes to sell a home. I worked firsthand with a certified agent and assisted her in her daily duties of listings and reaching out to the community. The hardest part of the job was that I was doing a lot of the duties of an agent, but I was not – more... an agent by certification standards. The most enjoyable part was open houses and making the customers feel welcome. – less
Client Service Representative
Client Service Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 22, 2013
Work in the Client Services department helping with the exhibition and auctions
Elegant and very rich place to work.
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 15, 2013
Pros: rooftop parties, holiday parties and halloween parties.
Cons: i really don't see any room for growth.
I start my day by being greeted by the door man and security before getting to the elevators that take me to my floor. Or I can go to the cafe and have coffee to start my morning. I like that I'm able to see all the new attractions coming in for the upcoming sales. While walking around the exhibits I may run into Specialist and Managers who may be in – more... the company of some well-known famous stars who may bid on some of the upcoming events.

I work with a talented team who really have a passion for what we do here day-to-day. However we come across end users who may have a hard time with today's technology and can be frustrating for them and can then take that frustration out on us. Once we remedy the situation and remove those grey clouds everyone is happy. Although I have a thankless job, knowing I was able to help them brings enjoyment to my craft. – less
Do not work for this company
Hardworking Employee (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 11, 2012
Pros: you can tell people that you work for sotheby's.
Cons: you can't tell your family how much you're making at sotheby's for what you do.
If you see a job listing posted by Sotheby's, think twice before you sell yourself to the devil. I firmly believe that once you find out why these jobs have become available, you wouldn't ever want to work for them. Don't let the name and reputation fool you because the company has a great deal of issues that are being neglected which will eventually – more... lead to its failure. The lack of culture and human empathy, the abundance of conspiracy, envy and greed are causing more and more poorly made decisions.

Several staff members have extremely unprofessional behaviors which you might find unbelievable. – less
Do not work for this company
Hardworking Employee (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 11, 2012
Pros: you can tell people that you work for sotheby's.

You might think, "Hey, a job is a job. At least it's money." But you will soon find out that all of the sacrifice you make and possible humiliation the company would put you through are not worth the insulting salary they offer. – less
Great learning experience, awful employer
Someone who dreamed about working at Sotheby's (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 12, 2012
Pros: opportunity to see world's greatest works of art and to learn about the business, great networking opportunity
Cons: you will work really hard and regret working hard for them.
It's pretty simple - if you are one of the following, you'll do fine:

1) A business getter
2) A specialist who is the best at he/she does
3) An extremely smooth talker
4) A descendent of a super wealthy family, most likely a client
5) A graduate from Sotheby's Institute of Art (sometimes)

Otherwise, learn as much as you can to build up your asset – more... and find another job. You might hesitate because some of the colleagues are truly knowledgeable and amicable but their management team will not be hesitant to release you once you are no longer considered a "valuable asset".

There is no one genuinely happy at their job nor is there anyone who can inspire. Those who want a normal life quit their jobs because they are miserable without the proper compensation. – less
Demanding, must have a love for the arts.
Client Service Associate, Temporary (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 4, 2012
Excellent insight and accessibility to the world class fine and decorative art industry.
Great corporate culture, privileged access to fine art, poor compensation and career advancement at midlevel
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 22, 2012
A wonderful work environment for those interested in fine art and antiquities. Strong positive corporate culture. Entry and mid level support positions are underpaid and often without advancement opportunities. Compensation and rewards of non officers are not reflective of quantifiable results or quality of performance.
Summary
Editorial Assistant/Floater (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 8, 2012
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
A competitive and model global auction house situated in New York City.
great environment and great staff to work with
art handler (Current Employee), new york new yorkFebruary 24, 2012
great company to work for, great managment staff and a good environment for workers and clients
Great place to work!
Global IT HelpDesk Analyst (Former Employee), London, ENGMay 28, 2014
Pros: great cafe
No such thing as a typical day at Sotheby's. Sale seasons are spring and autumn. In summer & winter, colleagues are busy sourcing items for sales, preparing for sales, getting sale catalogues ready for production, it's all go!

I learned so much about fine art and the exquisite white glove standards of high end auctioneering.

Great manager, one of – more... the best I've had.

Awesome co-workers, I was sorry to leave.

Hardest part was it being a time limited contract.

Most enjoyable part: everything other than being a time limited contract! – less
Artistic and Specialists' dedicated environment
Watches and Impressionist Assistant (Former Employee), Genève, GEAugust 13, 2013
Pros: access to the specialists
Cons: n/a
Worked as watches and impressionist departments' assistant and coordinator. Helped the specialists in gather objects for sale, assisted in the preparation of the catalogue, exhibition, helped with the administrative tasks.

Discovered the "Watches" world in assisting a passionate New Yorker specialist, as well as the auction world.

The most enjoyable – more... part of the job: have contributed to the success of the sale. – less
Le meilleur de l'art au bout de ses doigts
Expert Department Employee (Former Employee), SwitzerlandJune 20, 2013
Pros: le contact avec les oeuvres/bijoux les plus rares et les plus spectaculaires
Cons: evolution de salaire et de carrière
Sotheby's est une entreprise qui permet aux passionnés d'art de travailler avec les oeuvres les plus recherchées et valorisées du marché. Les journées se suivent et ne se ressemblent pas. En amont d'une vente, la masse de travail est très importante, les journées peuvent s'étirer tard dans la nuit et les week ends sont travaillés.
ll n'y a pas de parcours – more... typique, les salaires et les évolutions de carrière se décident au cas par cas. Les collaborateurs sont des gens passionnés, cultivés et l'ambiance de travail y est très bonne. – less

About Sotheby's

Sotheby's believes that one man's collection is another man's treasure -- especially when that collection is a rare antique, a unique – Read more