SourceMedia Employee Reviews

Friendly and results oriented
Credit & Collections Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2014
Great team to work with that cares about results and persons involved
Fun place to work
Media Buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 24, 2014
Great relationship with management and staff
Hardest part of my job is not meeting the deadlines because client would didn't sign off on ads on time
Pros
lots of free lunches
Last year they did have a ping pong table
Client Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2014
casual and enjoyable environment. Learn about redemption bond. The end of the month was a little hectic.
Pros
flexible hour lunch
Cons
no retirement plan
Relaxed working environment, no benefits or job advancement
Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2014
The environment is good to work. However, there is no 401K match, sub par health benefits, if you can call it a benefit--HSA is basically it.

No room for advancement, no pay raise, senior management is afraid to rock the boat.

Despite all this, you have loyal workers especially from those who enjoy what they do--offering up 150% or more, working long hours.
Pros
can work from home if needed; relaxed working environment
Cons
poor healthcare benefits, no 401k match; no pay raise
Ok, but not great...
Art Director (Former Employee) –  new york, nyApril 7, 2014
Relax atmosphere, some of the co-workers are fun to be around, but management is more interesting in saving their friends' job than keeping the experienced and skillful people around. Most of the people in management position have very little skills because people are not selected for management positions based on skills, but on how much you suck up to people...
Pros
relax atmosphere
Cons
low pay, unprofessional, high turnover...
I loved working at SourceMedia!
Marketing Manager, Conferences & Events (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Great environment, great people, great work/life balance. No growth paths, though.
Great company, loved my job--at the time.
REGIONAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2013
Worked for the company for 6.5 years with a management team that was totally supportive, very "team-centric", While "upper management" changed, every couple of years, there was stability within our respective divisions. I learned to flourish both personally and professionally with managers and clients, with whom I still have professional relationships.
Pros
management team who knew the business channels; effectively motivated the sales team.
Cons
private equity company takeover. many management changes.
Challenging and I learned a lot, Ok company to work for
Art Director/Graphic Design Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2013
This was my stepping stone. Not a lot of room for growth but I was fortunate to be considered when an opening presented itself and I was promoted. I've had the privilege of working with truly great and interesting people. I learned a lot in my years working at SourceMedia
Pros
working on numerous publications helped better my skills in many areas.
Cons
poor insurance plan. low pay
The work was challenging, but it was fun, and I learned a lot.
Editor of three trade publications, founder of one (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2013
For five years, I was editor of CardLine, a daily online newspaper that reported on the worldwide financial-services industry.

I wrote four to five 500-word stories each day. I edited the stories before sending the issue to CardLine subscribers.

I made two-important innovations at CardLine. They included launching the CardLine News Bulletin. When a major story broke outside the regular publication cycle, I would send out a special bulletin.

I also launched CardLine Europe to cover the financial-services industry in Europe. Later, SourceMedia management launched CardLine Asia.

When I became CardLine editor, the publication reported annual revenues of $250,000. When I stepped down to take another assignment, CardLine's annual revenues had reached $2 million.

I also was editor of ATM&Debit News, which reported on the ATM and debit- card industries. In addition, I wrote for another card publication that no longer exists.

CardLine, however, was the most fun because it was a daily publication.
Pros
cardline helped me improve my computer skills.
Cons
i started work early, ate lunch at my desk and worked late.
Ok company to work for
Not Available (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2013
Ok company to work for. This was my stepping stone. No growth available.
A very good working atmosphere and pleasant co-workers.
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2012
I was in SourceMedia for 3 years. I really enjoyed working with them.
Unfortunately they were down sizing and they had to eliminate my position.
Pros
we got bonuses every year.
Cons
they did not have a good health plan.
High productivity environment with dedicated staff reaching needed goals.
Fulfillment Supervisor for Electronic and Print (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2012
I enjoyed working there and the many varied professional personalities I encountered. SourceMedia was purchased from Thompson Media by Investcorp in 2004 in order to sell again. Overall upper manangement leadership and staff morale tended to be low. Waves of layoffs although sometimes in small numbers did not encourage feelings of job security amongst the employees. High productivity demands made at crunch times, but respect to those who made sure the work was completed efficiently and without error.
Pros
generous vacation time. veteran publishing professionals on staff.
Cons
high productivity demands, overall leadership from upper management was lacking, inefficient coordination between departments.
no direction for company, poor attitude and low pay
worker (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 1, 2012
Very much a hot idea of the week sales shop. Cutthroat work environment
Pros
get a discount on subscription to paper
Cons
poor insurance plan

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SourceMedia. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9