South Bay Community Services

South Bay Community Services Employee Reviews

Don't bother!
Family Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MAJanuary 5, 2017
All of the negative reviews on here are correct. They get you with a flexible schedule but its anything but. The supervisor expects you to work from 8 am to 10 pm. If someone cancels on you she will tell you its YOUR fault. They expect you to actually show up at a clients house even if they haven't even confirmed a visit. If clients cancel on you YOU have to squeeze them in your schedule even if its on your day off - so get ready to not having days off! Everything is performed and timed in the computer they provide HOWEVER if they don't believe you worked as much as you said, or did paperwork for as long as you put in for, they will dock your hours! Yep, just take it away!

The children and families are great. However, this organization only cares about money, getting as many clients on their case load for more money, and making their employees miserable.

OH YAH! You have to use your own car which they say they will give you a mileage stipend... After working two weeks I only got $11 for a mileage stipend EVERYTIME. Mind you I had to drive from Wareham to Halifax back to Marion Daily! (They don't pay you for time you drive to their houses either!!!)

Also, your supervisor probably wont listen to you when you tell them you would prefer not to have clients in Marion, Wareham, Carver, Plymouth, all the way up to Marshfield, Halifax, AND hanover... because like I said they only care about getting more clients so they can trim their pockets.

Have you noticed recently they changed some of their postings to "Confidential" so you can't tell its them looking to hire.
  more...

Joke of a company. Maybe they should actually listen to employees when they tell the company that the supervisors are trash.
Pros
nothing
fun work place
family service provider (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MADecember 6, 2016
flexible schedule, co-worker are very helpful, the hardest part of the job is the driving for me, to much traffic, the most enjoyable part is that you can help others.
Cons
to much traveling

Comment – December 12, 2016

We absolutely agree that South Bay is a fun place to work! Our flexibility in schedules and amazing staff are consistently touted as some of the best attributes of our organization. The reason we exist is to help others, and we are so proud of the hard work continually exhibited by you and all our employees. Thank you for your commitment.

Challenging place to work with excellent staff and management
License Supervisor, Mental Health Services (Current Employee) –  Attleboro Ma and Brockton MaNovember 27, 2016
excellent organization, as a per diem supervisor paid by grant the salary is not adequate to my needs.

staff are highly motivated, well educated clinicians doing challenging and difficult work with families

morning commute in traffic is challenging for me.
Huge Lack of Compensation for Work Performed
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 11, 2016
While I can say that you may love the team you work with, and may even love what you do, but the pay within this company is a huge slap in the face. You work feverishly Mon-Fri making sure that your job is done and even take on responsibilities of other's jobs and there is absolutely no compensation for that. I hate to say it this way but they will pay employee's who are friends with the higher ups, and it pains me to say that race seems to also be a dividing factor.. Working for this company for 3yrs and still making less then a Walmart employee is disheartening. I have watched many people complain and ask for more money and told no, but then have seen other's get raises that exceed their work performance. I know in this field it shouldn't be all about the money, but how can a company expect you to come in and care about everyone who walks through their doors only to not be able to take care of the family you have when you walk out them? Management acts as if your concerns and needs are important but just as soon as you voice them is just as soon as they are forgotten.. I wouldn't recommend this job unless it is more of a pass time and not a way to make a living.
Pros
Your equal co-workers, Clients
Cons
Compensation. Management

Comment – November 17, 2016

You are absolutely correct in that our employees not only love the work they do in serving those who may not have otherwise received care, but they also enjoy working alongside their co-workers. We’re not shy about touting what we think about our employees; we know we have a great team! We are, however, sorry to hear of your other comments. Our adherence to service is not only applicable to our consumers, but to our employees as well. Our leadership team has created a culture that is grounded in fairness and equal opportunities for all our employees, and that includes career advancement opportunities, compensation and other benefits. Your concerns are in fact very important to us, and as a leadership team, we take care to carefully consider all feedback we receive. Ultimately, we want our employees to be happy with their roles because the work that we do isn’t simply a job – it’s our mission. We hope that you stay with us as we continue to forge ahead in creating positive change for our consumers.

Over all Vibe
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 16, 2016
The over all feeling there is they care more about the business than the people meaning the workers.The pay doesn't reflect the work being done. It feels like other department could make mistakes and it would be fine.

Comment – October 20, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I’m not sure when you were employed with us, but our current leadership has made several changes within South Bay over the past year, including adjustments to our compensation package, facilities, processes and procedures, and the overall way we do business. All of these improvements have been well-received by our employees. We will continue to identify opportunities to advance how we serve our consumers and each other, as that is the very foundation upon which South Bay was built. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Toxic environment
Staff Therapist (Former Employee) –  Swansea, MAAugust 30, 2016
This company is focused exclusively on productivity to the detriment of staff and clients. The company lies during the hiring process in order to ensure that they can hire employees, and are negative towards advancement. Do not work here.

Comment – September 1, 2016

We are very sorry to hear your comments. Our consumers and employees are the foundation upon which South Bay operates. We strive daily to serve those who need us the most while also showing appreciation to our invaluable employees. I am not sure when you were employed with us, but I assure you that the current leadership team believes in providing growth and advancement opportunities for our employees. We have enhanced our infrastructure to provide consistent mentoring and training opportunities that prepare our employees for such growth. Additionally, we have made several internal changes that have been positively received by our employees, including adjustments to our compensation package, facilities, processes and procedures, and the overall way we do business. We continue to see an increase in employee satisfaction and retention, and our work in communities continues to change lives. Thank you for your work, and we wish you the best.

A friendly work environment with lots of good people
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Attleboro, MAAugust 20, 2016
I enjoyed my time at South Bay. There was a lot to do and I met lots of friendly people who help each other out. One of the real benefits was an hour paid lunch and the freedom to work at your own pace as long as the work gets done. They were flexible with time off and you normally didn't have to ever work weekends. The negatives were the pay, little room for advancement and the companies slow approach to embracing modern technology.and disconnect with management about how things actually are going.
Pros
paid hour lunch, consistent schedule, flexible pto
Cons
pay could be better, little room to change positions, reluctance to embrace new ideas

Comment – August 25, 2016

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your time at South Bay! The current leadership team has worked feverishly to enhance the inner workings of South Bay to ensure employee satisfaction and retention. We think our staff is truly one-of-a-kind in that they don’t hesitate to support one another, while never losing sight of our consumers’ needs. We recently made several strides in technological advancements and internal processes and procedures to make our employees’ jobs that much easier. Additionally, the leadership team stays in constant communication with employees via internal communications tools (including our new quarterly newsletter) to continuously garner feedback on how we’re doing. We’re excited about the changes that have been implemented, and we’re very optimistic about what the future holds for South Bay.

poor company
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAJuly 26, 2016
This company does not treat their employees very well, i would not recommend working there to anyone. I enjoyed working with the clients but it was a high case load.

Comment – July 29, 2016

We are glad you enjoyed working with clients, as that is indeed the cornerstone of what we do every day. We are sorry that you feel as though employees are not treated well. I am not sure when you were employed with us, but I can assure you that the current leadership team at South Bay does value our employees greatly, just as we do our consumers. We know that we would not be the company we are today without our employees, who work to positively impact the lives of those who need it most in their communities. We recently made several internal changes to further demonstrate our appreciation for our hard-working employees, including enhancements to our compensation structure, benefits package (including vacation and paid time off), facilities and using the Electronic Health Record system. We recognize that our line of work is not easy, and it does take a level of dedication and commitment to serve those that need us the most. As such, we have done and will continue to do everything that we can to ensure the success and happiness of each of our employees. We thank you for your work and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Enjoy working within the Mental Health Community Services
Doctor support/Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJune 28, 2016
Learned new Credible Computer System, also, learned electronic records and scripts. I work with a great team!
Pros
bonus and free lunch during new hire training.
Cons
Lots of changes and layoffs

Comment – July 6, 2016

Hello! Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are excited that you have become acquainted with the new computer software. This is just one of the many improvements we have made over the last several months to internal processes and procedures to help make your job that much easier. Additionally, we are very glad you enjoyed the free lunch during new hire training! It’s one of the ways we like to kick off our 90-day introductory period – and, we hope you enjoyed the training sessions and continue to benefit from our new-hire mentor program, as well. We agree that the team at South Bay is great, and that includes employees just like you! Keep up the great work, and please continue to share your insights.

Not a good place to work
Lowell Ma Early Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 12, 2016
The work is challenging and there is very little support. I had to purchase my own supplies and was not reimbursed. There was very little training as to the actual implementation to strategies to work with clients. The way that the clinicians are paid is very sketchy...not clear if I ever was compensated for the hours I put in...
Pros
Very little support

Comment – June 2, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. The challenges faced by the communities that we serve are complex, but we pride ourselves in helping them put and keep the intricate parts of their lives together. Here at South Bay we are always trying to strengthen our team and increase the support offered. Leadership continuously invests not only monetary resources, but also personal time in order to provide clinicians with the tools they need to touch the lives of those who need it most.

We are excited to say that we have recently implemented many positive changes to South Bay’s internal structure including improved clinician compensation, health benefits, paid time off, a mileage stipend, and enhanced working conditions, as well as the implementation of an electronic health records system and Learning Management System – and there are still more exciting improvements to come this year.

Comment – June 8, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. The challenges faced by the communities that we serve are complex, but we pride ourselves in helping them put and keep the intricate parts of their lives together. Here at South Bay, we are always trying to strengthen our team and increase the support offered. Leadership continuously invests not only monetary resources, but also personal time in order to provide clinicians with the tools they need to touch the lives of those who need it most.

Don't bother applying
Clinican (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MAFebruary 2, 2016
I'm honestly not sure where to begin with his place, so I'll start with the management. If you've ever heard of the the Peter Principle - promoted to the highest level of incompetence, I found at this place a new standard of promotion it's called Last Man Standing - meaning if your not smart or brave enough to leave this place, for a better position or more money at a different company eventually you'll be promoted because of the high turn over. If your that incompetent that you can't or don't leave, then eventually you'll work your way into management with or without that clinical Master's degree. Scary isn't it? With that being said, there's a lack of training, preparation, and professionalism for management here and it flows directly down to the employees underneath them. So as a clinician you could end up with a supervisor with or without a Master's degree or license ordering you on how to give clinician care and judgement on your clients. That would be like the medical assistant telling a doctor how to provide treatment for a patient. Frankly, that's dangerous, and it's on your license.

There's quite a bit of pill swapping and drug dealing going on with patients. From what I heard, it's happened twice, enough clients flushed empty nips and needles down the septic tank. It backed up into the building. Now since your dealing with substance abuse and people in poor health you do have a lot of diseases floating around like hepatitis. I wonder how well that building was sanitized after the incident. You'll find yourself constantly washing you hands in this
  more... environment.

Your day will be run from 9-3 pm, and your expected to do client outreaches between 9-4:30 or later. You are required to transport clients in your car. You will not be reimbursed for their filth or damage. I've had clients mess up my vehicle and your will not be reimbursed for bed bugs or lice. Yes, the clients bring those little goodies with them too. I've had clients in manic states, psychotic episodes, unknowingly transported clients with knives on them and high in my vehicle. That's dangerous.
The company states your can refuse to transport a client, which I have, however just try and refuse, you'll be questioned and harassed at each step for making a personal safety judgement call because now the client won't be able to come to treatment and they can not bill for them. It's all about the numbers. Essentially they are trading the safety of their employees for profit.

If you can somehow suffer through the nonsense of this place and move on, any job after this will feel easy.

After job hunting for a long time I took this job because I didn't want to work at McDonalds or Starbucks. Frankly after the salary of $9 per hour at Starbucks plus tips, I would have made more with benefits, and been in a safer environment.

As for the positive you'll work with a great small team of individuals, because your stuck in this together, misery loves company, and you'll find yourselves nodding in agreement quite a from the nonsense of the management and this place. As the saying went "Just another day at South Bay"
Pros
Great small teams, people do care for clients.
Cons
Managment, lack of support on clincial care and personal safety.

Comment – March 4, 2016

We are very sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience at South Bay, and we have taken your feedback into close consideration. We are constantly working to improve training to ensure that clinicians and management alike are equipped and confident in their roles and that safety is always a top priority. We foster a culture of independence and leadership at all levels, with ample opportunities for individual professional growth. We try to encourage and guide those we serve onto the right path toward self-sufficiency and wellness. We see this as a challenging, yet worthwhile career with ample opportunity for growth. The new management team at South Bay has been hard at work implementing exciting changes to address a number of topics that you mentioned. We just recently announced raises for nearly all direct-care employees, increased the amount of paid time off and holidays, improved the health and 401(k) benefits, and just instituted a mileage stipend for all direct care staff. We've also enhanced security and compliance measures for consumers. We are glad that you recognize how much South Bay employees care for our consumers. Indeed, that is our No. 1 priority, and we seek to hire compassionate and dedicated individuals who are committed to making our communities healthier and stronger. Community outreach is a tough job, and we recognize that. We also recognize that the services that we provide have the ability to make a huge impact on the lives of our consumers regardless of their socio-economic status. It's part of our mission! We thank you for your work and wish you  more... the best of luck in all your endeavors.   less

Supportive workplace
In Home Therapy Clinician (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAJanuary 4, 2016
No day is the same, there is always someone available to support you whether it be a crisis, a question, a concern, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is the teaching children and families to function more efficiently within their homes, schools, and communities.

Comment – March 4, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to recognize your fellow employees. It takes a lot of very special people like yourself to make a difference in the lives of the individuals and families we serve and we truly appreciate all of the work that you do. We hope that the ongoing changes at South Bay will further enhance your experience and your ability to provide excellent clinical service to your consumers.

It was a great job
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MANovember 28, 2015
It was a great opportunity. I learned a lot about therapy. It taught me more about Mental Health, Substance Abuse and helping with Adolescents.

Comment – March 8, 2016

We are glad to hear that you had a positive experience at South Bay! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We hope that you continue to use the knowledge and skills gained here to encourage and guide others onto the right path toward self-sufficiency and wellness. Also, there are exciting things happening at South Bay including many changes that we feel not only allow for us to better serve our consumers but also enhance the overall employment experience. We encourage you to check out what our new management team has been up to sometime soon.

For-Profit / All About the Bottom Line
Staff Therapist (Current Employee) –  Malden, MANovember 2, 2015
Quality of work environment varies by site. Some outstanding staff.

Base salary is not livable. FFS structure detracts from client care.

Negligible benefits.
Pros
Outreach therapy allows access to diverse population.
Cons
Fighting to meet quotas.

Comment – March 7, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. As we hope you’ve noticed, there has been a lot of exciting change occurring at South Bay. The new management team has been heavily focused on finding ways to improve clinical care for our consumers, as well as improve the overall employment experience for our staff. In addition to implementing a new, best-in-class EHR system in January that will enable our clinicians to spend even more time focused on clinical care and less on paperwork, we have also made significant progress on increasing clinician compensation. As of April 1, we will have completed a full transition away from the fee-for-service compensation model to a more employee-friendly salary plus incentive bonus structure that enables uncapped earnings potential. At the same time, we have also given raises to nearly all direct-care employees. We have increased the amount of paid time off and the holiday schedule, improved health and retirement benefits, and just instituted a mileage reimbursement stipend for all direct care staff. Given how important each employee is to the organization, and how committed we are to continuous improvement, we would encourage you to discuss any other concerns you might have or other ways that South Bay can help you provide even better clinical service to our consumers. We truly appreciate all that you do for South Bay, and our goal is to keep getting better!

Family Support Provider (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAOctober 18, 2015
I love being a mentor. I enjoyed working with other clinicians. The management were great teachers. The hardest part was letting my job go but I had to finish school.
non professional
Intake Representative (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 24, 2015
The director of the company treat employees so badly and constantly is screaming and yelling. You are not able to correct her if shes wrong.
Pros
coworkers are helpful
Cons
employees are scared of director
Great company
HR assistant (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 2, 2015
Healthcare organization with over 1000 employees and over 30 offices throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut. SBMH is part of a national behavioral health organization, Community Intervention Services, with its corporate office located in Texas.
Great experience
Therapeutic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJuly 30, 2015
Great experience, poor pay, management involved in lawsuits over employee reimbursement, unsure if stable work environment.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Company legal troubles
Great first experience
Family Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAJuly 10, 2015
Great first experience out of undergrad, great co-workers, but lack of support and appreciation from management is a deal breaker.
South Bay Mental Health was just ok to work for.
Billing/Office Support (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MAApril 25, 2015
I work in the billing department at South Bay. I help open files and process the clinical notes for billing. I had to learn medical codes to process the billing. I had to go to another building to use the computers to process the billing, I also learned a lot about mental health that I didn't know before, such as drug/alcohol abuse, bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia. The hardest part was management would have us deal with some of the patients. I learned to have understanding of what the patients were going through. I think that the billing department should have been separate from the clinical.
Pros
I have a greater understanding of mental health
Cons
Having the clinical and billing department in the same area.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Bay Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6