South Bay Community Services Employee Reviews

incredibly disheartening place to work
In-Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MANovember 16, 2017
When you are hired, it is only through a phone interview. First red flag. The recruiter and supervisor told me when I got hired that they were looking to increase the team. The real truth was that people were quitting. Supervision with my former supervisor was a waste of time as she was often distracted. You do not get paid well. Most of my former coworkers were partnered so they were able to do this job. It is highly stressful. There is no accountability. Supervisor did not have experience doing what she was supervising us on. Unethical place to work.
Pros
some coworkers
Cons
Great people to work with mostly although a bit cliquey of you are not a Central Mass townee
Clinical Provider (Former Employee) –  Central MassachusettesOctober 26, 2017
I liked several of my work mates. Middle Management only concerned with production and billable hours. Work Life balance is a myth. Pay could OK if you pushed yourself beyond human endurance.
Pros
Great clients who want our help!
Cons
You work super human hours. They interviewers hide this from you. But, you end up working 12 hours days and driving to distant places in your catchment area.
November 3, 2017

We absolutely do have GREAT consumers, and it's a pleasure to serve them every day! South Bay is a service-based company, and that means we put the needs of our consumers, as well as our employees, first. Our leadership team takes care to be as transparent as possible with employees about the way we serve our consumers. We meet them where they are - in environments where they’re most comfortable. This sometimes requires us to go above and beyond what we do in a typical workday. While we must set quantifiable goals and objectives, we always keep a laser focus on ensuring the well-being of each of our consumers. South Bay has provided essential behavioral health services to consumers for more than 30 years, and we can say with confidence that our model works. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

too corporate for human service
Early Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 26, 2017
South Bay does little to support their employees with the challenges of home based services such as weather related cancellations or driving and parking bans due to blizzards . There is no mileage compensation, really.
Little priority is given to providing services or information in languages other than English. The same goes for supporting staff who are not foreign language speakers. This is regardless if the community of clients has MANY non native English speaking families.
Corporate wants all programs to operate EXACTLY the same which is difficult when you are dealing with people. Emphasis is on billing/hours with little appreciation and compensation for the long hours of work not done in face to face with a client.
Management is in denial and/or defensive about the very high turnover rates.
Has potential to truly be a program of support and change - if on ly they would truly listen to staff and clients - and be sincere in their response and actions.
Pros
great clients
Cons
insecure fear based management
November 2, 2017

Home-based service is exactly what we provide, which means we meet our consumers where they are - in environments where they’re most comfortable. This approach is unique to South Bay, and it’s part of what makes us the dynamic company we are today. Likewise, this approach also means we must do things differently because providing our essential services to those who need us most may sometimes present challenges. Our leadership team recognizes this and is continually seeking ways to enhance how we operate to make sure we’re providing the highest level of service to both our consumers and employees. Our company culture allows for an open exchange of dialogue, and our leadership team values our employees’ feedback. Your challenges, concerns and suggestions are heard and will be considered as we push forward in our mission. Your hard work positively impacts lives every day, and we appreciate your dedication.

Difficult environment to earn a reasonable salary
Outreach Therapist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 26, 2017
In order to earn a reasonable salary, unreasonable hours are required. Management tries to appease workers with talk of improved compensation, but efforts are minimal.
November 2, 2017

We are sorry to read your comments. Our leadership team continuously reviews ways in which we can enhance employee compensation. Our commitment to serve those who need us most is what drives us every day, and we must keep that at the forefront of our minds. We hope you stay with us as we continue to provide essential behavioral health services to our consumers.

Competitive starting job
Outpatient Therapist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 21, 2017
The job is a great starting job for someone that is trying to achieve their LMHC license. The managers are very supportive and helpful, however there is a lot of driving as well as it is a very fast paced environment that may not be for everyone.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Virtually no lunch break, low pay, poor dispercement of vacation time
October 24, 2017

South Bay is a great place for new clinicians who are eager to jumpstart a rewarding career path, as well as those who’ve worked in this industry for years. We have an amazing management team, and we know that their contributions continue to provide the guidance needed to compassionately serve our consumers. One of the most unique attributes about South Bay is that we meet our consumers where they are – in environments where they’re most comfortable. In doing so, we must remain flexible to accommodate their needs. Yes, our environment is fast-paced, and each day, we know that our work is positively transforming lives. It’s a great feeling! Thank you for being part of our team.

productive, and peaceful place to work. a workplace full of support, education, and advancement opportunities. very challenging, but rewarding. Al
In Home Therapist (IHT) (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAOctober 12, 2017
productive, and peaceful place to work. a workplace full of support, education, and advancement opportunities. A little challenging, but rewarding. Always in activity with diverse youth and adult programs. support elderly and handicap members.
Pros
safe place to work
Cons
longer hours worked
October 17, 2017

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback! We echo your comments, and we couldn’t agree more that the work we do is absolutely rewarding. Our dedicated employees proudly serve families and individuals from diverse walks of life, and our goal is to help our consumers foster a life that is free of behavioral health challenges. We enjoy providing a workplace environment that encourages teamwork and professional development. It is because of compassionate people like you that South Bay is able to do what we do so well. Thank you for your service, and we wish you the best.

Impossible to get fired
Staff Therapist (Former Employee) –  MAOctober 11, 2017
Can lead to rapid burn-out due to little time-off, constant changes without communication, and incompetent coworkers due to hiring everybody and firing nobody (despite highly unethical behavior and constant firings from clients). Management claims to care about client-and-self-care, but all policies and practices show otherwise. LARGE focus on numbers.
Pros
Somewhat flexible schedule, some helpful staff
Cons
Micromanaging from supervisors, focus on productivity, incompetent coworkers, terrible benefits, constant changing of expectations
October 16, 2017

We are very sorry to read your comments. The experience you’ve described does not embody the values we hold at South Bay. Our company’s foundation was built on one key principle - service. And by service, we mean serving our colleagues, as well as our consumers. We recently adopted a way of managing every decision we make through our Five Pillars of Excellence - one of which is Clinical Quality and paramount for our company. We have also increased our compliance structure, and our benefits are more than comparable with other providers in the industry. We greatly value the contributions of each of our dedicated team members, and our management team keeps a laser focus on being a strong, resilient resource to our employees. South Bay is ever-evolving, which is vital for any organization that seeks to constantly enhance its service offerings. One thing that will never change is that we are here to serve those who need us the most. That’s what South Bay has done for more than 30 years and will continue to do for years to come.

Productive and a good place to help people that really need it
I made appointments for therapist (Former Employee) –  340 Main St worcester ma 01608September 26, 2017
A typical day would be sending releases checking in patients answering phones transferring calls to the right staff dealing with prescriptions reminder calls faxing scanning filing and interpreting I learned to help with billing and medical records and other projects that were assigned the culture was great and the manager on my end was the best and worked with you Again the hardest part is not being able to help people the way you want
Cons
1 hour lunches
September 29, 2017

We agree with you 100 percent – South Bay definitely helps people who need our service the most! That is the very reason our company exists. Thank you for your kind comments about our culture and management team. We are thrilled to read that you learned so much during your time at South Bay, and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Unsupportive environment
Marriage and Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MASeptember 21, 2017
There was not a typical day as each clinician had different clients and schedules. I learned the importance of working as a team as well as being supported by management as this was not prevalent at South Bay. The management was minimally responsive and the workplace culture was one without any type of team promoted environment. The biggest difficulty at this job was the unsupportive management. This most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility that it provided to ensure that each client was given the necessary time and attention.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Poor moral, poor management
September 29, 2017

Every day at South Bay is indeed different, and that’s because we make adjustments according to the needs of our consumers. As you mentioned, our environment is one that allows for much flexibility. We see this as a requirement in a service-based industry such as ours. We’re sorry to read your other comments. Our culture is absolutely conducive to teamwork. In fact, we know intimately that the only way we can provide the level of high-quality service that we do for our consumers is through a consistent, unwavering team effort. Our management team continues to demonstrate their commitment to our employees and consumers. And, we are continuously training all levels of management and will continue to do so to improve their skills, as well. As we strive to mold South Bay into the best company it can be, we will remain focused on our commitment to service – both internally and externally. We wish you the best.

Financially Stressful
Staff Therapist (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, MASeptember 18, 2017
Working at South Bay has potential to be a great place to work, however there is NO compensation for time spent doing non actually treatment hours with clients. Pay is based on number of clients seen weekly, however on any given week you can't guarantee that you will have your minimum number of clients, which can result in use of PTO time to assist you keep your minimum number of clients weekly. Even if it is not your fault that a client has canceled you loose money.
Pros
great 2nd or part-time job.
Cons
not enough compensation for work rendered
September 22, 2017

South Bay IS a great place to work. Because we are in a service-based industry, there may be circumstances that we cannot control. However, our consumers are the reason South Bay exists, and we do what it takes to ensure their needs are met. Our leadership team will continue to monitor ways we can enhance how we operate as a company. We appreciate your commitment to South Bay and serving a need that is greater than yourself!

Want to know more about South Bay Community Services?

Ask a question
Good support
Assist master's level Clinicians (Current Employee) –  Attleboro, MASeptember 7, 2017
Lots of support from other staff. Long drives multiple times during a day of work going to appointments with clients. Difficult meeting expectations when it comes to billing hour.
September 8, 2017

We completely agree with you – there is an amazing level of support at South Bay! From our administrative staff to the leadership team, we proudly boast a company culture that’s grounded in teamwork and camaraderie. Understanding we deliver our essential services to our consumers where they’re most comfortable, challenges may arise. However, the consistent dedication demonstrated by you and each invaluable South Bay employee positively impacts lives – day in and day out. Thank you for your commitment to service.

Small steps
Clinical Staff (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MASeptember 1, 2017
The company is gradually making steps to increase the quality of job satisfaction, employee benefits, and company culture, which has ultimately improved the quality of services clients receive. Change doesn't happen over night, and there will always be room for improvement. However, it is reassuring and motivating to know that the agency is continously making these things a priority.
Pros
Opportunities for continuing education & skills training, flexible schedule, provided supervision, documentation is electronic
Cons
Travel can be an issue at times, quick pace
September 6, 2017

Thank you for your kind comments. You are correct – we have and will continue to take the steps necessary to make South Bay be the best it can be for our employees and consumers. And, our flexibility in schedules, professional development opportunities and amazing supervisors are often noted as some of our best attributes. We are pleased to read that you recognize the positive strides we’ve made as a company. It’s because of dedicated employees like you that we can provide our essential services to those who need us most. Thank you for being a part of the South Bay team!

Good for entry level position, can't survive financially
Staff Therapist (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 26, 2017
PROS: You make your own schedule. Supervisors at this specific site are really good, compassionate. You don't usually interact with the Director. No dress code. Not micro managed. Staff are very supportive to one another. Free supervision toward licensure.
CONS: Wear and tear on your vehicle. Low pay wage. Have to attend team meetings twice a month for 1.5 hours each time, unpaid (though we are told we are paid due to being partially salary). This is not truly partially salary, you must see 20 clients per week or use PTO time which is accrued very slowly. Not paid for major holidays unless you've worked here for many years. Not paid for cancellations and you can have a week where 1/3-1/2 of clients cancel!!! Staff turnover is very high. Decor of office space is unflattering, depressing (plastic chairs, dirty stained walls, temperature is usually warm).
August 29, 2017

We’re happy to read your comments about our flexibility in schedules, good supervisors and supportive staff. These and many attributes make South Bay an amazing company! Our approach to behavioral health service is to meet our consumers where they are in environments where they’re most comfortable. At times, we are met with challenges. This comes with serving those who need us most. Yet, our employees continue to demonstrate their resilience in serving a cause greater than themselves, and our leadership team greatly appreciates our employees’ undeniable contributions. Whether you‘re new to this industry or a seasoned clinician, South Bay offers continual growth and professional development opportunities. And, we do provide major holidays for our clinicians. We are excited to see what the future holds for our company.

I really wanted to give them a chance...
Director (Former Employee) –  Swansea, MAAugust 25, 2017
When people say that middle managers and staff are exploited here it's really true. The pay is poor, hours are long and tasks are impossible to accomplish with the limited staff. People are expected to perform their jobs with poor working conditions and not enough resources. When the clients complained of the staff turnover and the inconsistencies of the programs I had to agree with them.

I left the company because the values of the company didn't line up with my own values and could not continue to compromise my standards. Salaried employees are completely exploited for very little money. I feel badly for people who have worked here for years and have no other opportunities. I am sure the HR person is going to now comment on this review but what's clear is that HR staff who work in admin have no idea what goes on in the various sites. They would probably learn a lot if they really listened to their staff.
Pros
dedicated staff and middle managers
Cons
staff turnover, low pay, company is cheap and only the ones at the top are making money
August 29, 2017

We are very sorry to read your comments. For more than 30 years, South Bay has remained committed to providing essential behavioral health services to individuals and families who need us most. We are extremely proud of the amazing, life-changing strides we’ve made as a company and the many success stories that have come from the services we provide. As long as there are people in need of our services, we will be ready to serve. Our employees are some of the best in this industry as they possess the experience, expertise, skill set and basic compassion to give back to others. We don’t mince words about the fact that the work we do positively changes lives, and at the end of the day, that is still our top priority. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Great place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAAugust 3, 2017
It was a great environment overall. This position was foot in the door if you want to move up but overall SBCS stands for great things and it great to be involved in them.
Good starter job
Staff Therapist, LMHC (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAJuly 19, 2017
I have found that this company is a good starter job for recent graduates. This ever changing environment will show new clinicians the pro's and the con's of community mental health and the population it serves.
Pros
Free CEU'S, part-time flexibility
Cons
turn over rates with staff and management
July 27, 2017

We agree that a career at South Bay is great for recent graduates who are interested in behavioral health. South Bay is also a great career opportunity for veteran clinicians who have years of experience in this field and are passionate about serving others. From our flexibility in scheduling to our professional development opportunities, South Bay seeks to grow its employees as the company grows as well. Our leadership team is committed to upholding the mission of South Bay and never losing sight of why our company exists – to serve those who need our services the most. Your dedication to service does not go unnoticed, and we thank you!

Traveling therapy is hard
Staff Therapist (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAJune 12, 2017
Working as a staff therapist is difficult. You schedule appointments with your clients and go to their houses (usually) to meet with them and provide your services. You don't have days off, no set holiday, etc. and have to plan very far in advance to be able to take a couple of days off. The Mass Health insurance system was difficult because they had very strict guidelines that made me question their ethical relationship with clients.
June 15, 2017

South Bay is a service-based company, which requires us to do things a little differently. Our model is based on meeting our consumers where they are, in environments most comfortable to them. And that’s what we proudly do – day in and day out! We understand that our work is not easy, and it may not be for everyone. But, we also know that our labor is not in vain as it truly changes lives for the better. We look forward to the great things in store for our company, our amazing consumers and dedicated employees.

Assisting the homeless when possible
Family Support Services (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJune 5, 2017
A quiet and peaceful office job involving responding to phone calls or assisting walk-ins. Most services are provided over the phone. Typical tasks include referring clients to a case manager or directing them to other resources. Coworkers and case managers were incredibly kind and efficient at their job. Hardest part was having to say "no" most of the time to clients or informing them resources were unavailable. Enjoyable part was being able to provide direct assistance.
general
Family Service Provider (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 2, 2017
Great IHTS, and most clients are easy to work with and flexible with providers. Management and supervisors are not as helpful and supportive of workers as they could be.
June 15, 2017

Our consumers aren’t just easy to work with – they make our work worth it! We can say with confidence that we’re positively impacting lives by providing our essential behavioral health care services to those who need them most. We are proud of the work put forth by all our employees, including our administrative staff, clinicians, managers and supervisors. Our leadership team will continue to identify ways to make South Bay even better while never losing sight of the very reason why we exist as a company - to serve. Michael Pelletier, our President and Chief Operating Officer, appreciates feedback from all employees. Should you have any suggestions on improvement, he welcomes that feedback via phone call or email (mpelletier@southbaycommunityservices.com).

Horrible supervisors/ little guidance
Family Service Provider (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 29, 2017
When you start this job you are told you get a stipend for the money you spend on gas. However, you are given $4 a week yet typically drive upwards of 75 miles per day to and from clients homes. You are also given no money for supplies or activities to do with the clients. Upon starting you are told you will work within your cachement area, however that is rarely the truth and you may be given clients who live an hour from your cachement area.
You are thrown into the wolves with very little one on one training, yet have to attend a five hour training every week for 5 weeks.
You also do not get paid for meetings or supervisions which are for 3+ hours every week.
The supervisors only care about how many hours a week you work and do not care about anything else. Horrible company run while you still can.
June 2, 2017

We are very sorry to hear your comments. South Bay was built on a foundation that included one primary component – service. We serve those who would not otherwise receive behavioral health care treatment, and sometimes, we must go above and beyond what is considered the norm to ensure long-term success for our consumers. Our leadership team continues to work diligently to create a work environment that is fulfilling for our employees. That includes access to ongoing training opportunities, competitive compensation and overall professional development support. While we cannot guarantee there will be no challenges, we can confidently say that our employees’ work is not in vain. We are positively impacting lives every day. And, as we keep that at the forefront of our minds, we will continue to work on molding South Bay into a dynamic organization

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Bay Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8