South Bay Mental Health

South Bay Mental Health Employer Reviews

FSP
FSP (Current Employee), MAOctober 7, 2014
Pros: high pay rate
Cons: less than 40 hours. high miles 300 to 400 per week.
my major complaint is the unpaid clinical groups and multiple super visions. Oh and of course the many miles on my car! No shows can be an issue as well. High pay rate to bad it's at 20 to 30 hours per week/ pay is biweekly, so that sucks. Thought I could work 40 hours but of course not...Case load is too low, especially with staff therapist closing – more... cases left and right. I had a savings 6 months ago when I started, too bad I used it putting gas in my car due to their lack of Mileage Reimbursement. Stay away!!! – less
excellent work environment sad to see it close
Medical Billing / Human Rights Liason (Current Employee), lawrence massSeptember 23, 2014
great management team and formed close relationships with clients as well as coworkers
poor management
Mental Health Counselor, M.S (Former Employee), Attleboro, MASeptember 3, 2014
Pros: own scheduling
Cons: long hours driving
friendly co-workers and supportive admospphere, however management is disorganized
Crazy hours! Major burnout!
Early Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), Fall RiverAugust 2, 2014
Cons: crazy hours, irregular schedules, lots of time on the road, difficulty making connections with co-workers because of all of the running around, highly stressful work.
They require a certain number of billable hours for fee-for-service employees, but then many of the clients are unpredictable so there are always "no shows" and cancelled appointments. You spend many hours driving around to clients, often arriving at a house only to find them not there, or maybe they call you to cancel their appointment as you're on – more... your way to see them . This leaves you with a hole in your schedule and lost billable hours! MANY clients speak Spanish or Portuguese and nowhere enough staff that could translate, so I couldn't communicate with about half of my clients! There were no speech, physical or occupational therapists on staff and MANY children who needed them, especially speech therapists. I was told to tell clients there is a long waiting list for speech therapy - not cool when you're working with kids with serious speech delays! And THIS is Early Intervention?! This is definitely not a job for a parent who wants to have time with their kids! The only way to get in your hours so you can get full time pay and benefits is to work until 7:30 or after most nights! Employees barely have enough time to fit in their own clients, then they're expected to go on "consults" with other co-workers. Then there's the paperwork that has to all be done by hand, and charts that need to be updated! There's a reason the majority of the employees are young, single females in their early 20s with very few other demands in their lives! – less
Great opportunity to explore employment options
Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee), Brockton, MAMay 31, 2014
Pros: variety of clients
Cons: long hours if you want
Great place to work and good support to help you learn the best interventions for clients.
various opportunties
Staff Therapist (Former Employee), Attleboro, MAMay 6, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: fee for service is not consistent payment
Began as a clinician at this agency working with adults, adolescents and youth. Worked mainly as CBT clinician; worked in office and in home therapy as appropriate. Worked as a fee for service clinician. Was promoted to program director at an after school program. Had to leave this position after needing back surgery.
Good for new grads
Family Service Provider (Current Employee), Brockton, MAApril 24, 2014
Pros: experience, co-workers, schedule
Cons: minimal travel
I can see the cons that the people post about the company but so much of it is made up of recent grads. It's all about the way you look at it. I think it's a great learning experience for anyone in the Psychology field and they offer supervision to get your license. It's also a set your own schedule type of thing too which makes it awesome. Obviously – more... the pay isn't super but it's alot better than what I'd be making at the grocery store. It's an entry-level position people, don't expect to be making a six digit salary right away. If you want to get your foot in the door then I would recommend this company. – less
Do your Homework before applying South Bay Mental Health
Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee), Lowell, MAApril 10, 2014
Pros: license supervision, co workers, assessment and treatment, helping clients
Cons: inexperience supervisors, long hours, low pay, no support by management, burn out and no self care
I am going to try to be fair as possible when it comes to this review. South Bay has been reviewed many times in the past. Their reviews are usually negative. I will start off by saying that I learned a lot At South Bay. They gave me the experience that I needed to learn my craft. . Yet, there is a price for it. You are destine to be burnt out by your – more... first 6 months. Getting your license for this profession is really difficult…South Bay uses that for their gain. One reviewer described their experience at South Bay as an abusive relationship. I agree with that assessment. By the time you end you employment (there is no future in this job. If you think there is? Please do your homework on this company), you will be physically, mentally and emotionally drained (not by the clients, but the company itself). So, let’s start the review with this company.
Part one: South Bay goals: to make money off the blood and sweat of their clinicians. What does that consist of? South Bay will promise a good salary. That is not necessary true. At this time, South Bay is fee for Service. Client does not show up. You do not get paid. Therapist get 30.00 and hour and Mentors get 27.00. Sounds great. Yet, here is the catch, Production…South Bay demands you to set up 30 clients (remember 30 hours), yet your bench mark is 23 and the lowest you can go is 20 without losing your health insurance (yes, South Bay can take you health insurance anytime if you do not make bench marks: Employees from South Bay have had their insurance taking away for: being sick, having cancer, bereavement, and car accidents.) So, the reason South Bay sets these benchmarks is that they know the high no show rate. You set up 30; you will be lucky to see 23. Now, you think, 23 hours X 30.00 per hour =690.00. Now comes the paperwork. Your life is going to be run by paperwork. You will not see your friends. First off, the average amount of hours a therapist works at South Bay is 12 hours a day (read previous reviews and ask ex employees). Most of it is paperwork. If you do not finish paperwork to perfection or on time, they hold payment. No electronic system, just pen and paper. If you don’t get the client to sign progress note, you do not get paid. If you do not use black ink or it runs out, you do not get paid. Also, South Bay requires you to see client for the full hour, not 45-50 minutes as insurance companies state per contract. Also, prepare no lunch breaks, bathroom, sometimes the woods is your best friend. Now, 12 hours a day times 5 days is 60 hours a week. Now, if we divide 60 hours into 690.00 and average therapist gets a week equals out to 11.50(I did not include weekends when I had to do more paperwork: 65-80 hour=8.63 per hour: more weekends than you think) However, South Bay does not pay for the following: gas, car repairs, and materials for clients or yourself. My Gas bill for my car per week was over $60.00-70.00. First Year, I drove over 28,000 miles. This was all South Bay millage. Also, the first 3 months: no health insurance, supervision that counts for license, sick time. After 3 months you get health insurance. However your first year working at South Bay: no holiday time, vacation time or sick time. I could not pay my bills on time (ever)!! Finally, South Bay will send you into areas that are questionable at best and some of the clients are very dangerous. Also: beware: supervisors have lied to new employees about benefits, license hours, work hours and pay rates. Other employees have complained about supervisors not working for 5 years and their LMHC hours did not count for license. Check everything that is being told to you.
Part Two: Supervisors and Supervision: South Bay has some good supervisors and really bad ones. The Supervisors goals are to produce numbers. You meet for and hour with a supervisor (this does not count for license hours) and you talk about why you did not see clients. (Snow storm and streets close, so what? Why did you not see client. No show, your fault. If you do not see 20-23, you lose your health insurance and license supervision. Advocate, because South bay will not give you license supervision unless you ask after 3rd month of working. By the way, the reason it takes 3 months is because most therapist leave by that time. Then comes the real supervision. License Supervision, I recommend it. It was the only time I felt like someone care. Too bad you have to wait 3 months to get it. Also, South Bay tries to use that as a selling point: most places offer License supervision for free. Yet, I work for South bay for over year, had several supervisors. In general, most therapists will leave the Job due to inexperience supervisors. A Side Note: South Bay is telling Supervisors to post positive reviews on Job sites. The reason for this is because of South Bay’s reputation. For example, read all the positive ones in this site: very vague language does not go into great detail on the job and what they like (well except that they like helping people) or dislike (job can be hard, no kidding, tell us why). Be aware of positive reviews. My challenge to you, the reader, ask DCF, Schools, other clients, collaterals, and clinicians how they feel about South bay? You will get the real story. Most common complaints are: high turnover. So what does that say if there is a high turn over on a company? Yes, I cannot tell you how many times I would hear the client say, “ You are my 8 therapist “. Also, a warning: start to learn how to sell other services, even if the client does not need them. Supervisors will get on you about that. Towards the end, I was part therapist and part salesperson. Just remember, numbers are more important than client’s wen it comes to supervision.
Part 3: Other thoughts and the profession: Beware of Bedbugs and fleas. South bay does not reimburse if you get them. Also, if you are looking for certain population, you will not get it at South Bay. Most of your clients will be Kids (they are the most profitable due to services that you can sell). Also, be aware of safety issues. You will go into places that are sketchy at best. It is difficult to meet client at office due to space. Also, if you are thinking of relocation or giving up your other job, please, this is not a future or stable place to work for. I cannot tell you how many clinicians I have seen get fired or quit that resulted of them being almost homeless. The mentality here is getting the experience and license hours and get out. I have met some great co-workers and some that I will not comment on. Like I said, I have learned a lot. But, I paid a price: no time with family and love ones, gained weight, lost sleep, and no self care. South Bay does not believe in Self Care. I also want to warn the new graduates, many reviewers complain about Fee for Service. I did not focus on it because South bay is changing their model to salary. This does not change anything, makes it worst. The reason they are changing it is because look how many ads South bay has out there. People do not want to work for them. The salary is the same as before. The only difference now is that the supervisor can say that you are getting paid for paperwork. Remember, 50-60 hours a week (no overtime), plus week ends (sometimes 80 hours a week: again no overtime) for 37-40,000 a year. Finally, I want to thank you for reading this post. If anything, Do your homework and ask around about this company. I wish you well…. – less
Provided me with an opportunity to utilize the skills which I had acquired, and combine them with the clinical side of the population.
Intake Liaison (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 26, 2014
Pros: learning the clinical side of the mental health business, and providing opportunity for advancement.
Cons: low compensation in human services, for such a demanding position.
Responsible for coordinating treatment for all clients admitted to the Day Treatment Program. Conduct therapeutic groups for all clients in the program. Responsible to coordinating the intake and referral process for all clients admitted to the Day and Partial Hospital programs, all while providing support to the Program Director with daily functions – more... of the program including leadership responsibility. – less
Never again
Family Service Provider (Former Employee), Plymouth, MAMarch 3, 2014
Cons: everything
Terrible director, scheduling is unfair as well as pay. Although most of the staff were friendly, cliques were very obvious and made things difficult.
typical daily situation
Medical Records Clerk,Doctor Support (Current Employee), Weymouth, MAFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: some added work experience after being unemployed
Cons: stressful by being mental health
I do like some of what im learning it justs becomes overwhelming a lot.The hardest part is being understaff. I have some coworkers I get along with. I learn how to deal with different types of patients by it being mental health.
In Home Therapist
In Home Therapist (Former Employee), Swansea, MAJanuary 24, 2014
There was such a high number of children on the waiting list for services however getting a client to work with took a long time and cases were closed without any notice.
Horrible place to work
Staff Therapist (Former Employee), Brockton, MADecember 23, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule, licensed supervision
Cons: pressure from management to work overtime just to get the minimum required hours, no reimbursement for gas and time driving to client's houses, mandatory meetings that you don't get paid for, fee-for-service
Get your experience then get out of there! It's the worst place to work in this field but you will get plenty of experience to move on and get a better job. There is nothing to say that 100 people have not already said on here about SBMHC, it's all true.
travel and HAND-WRITTEN paperwork not reimbursed
Staff Therapist (Former Employee), Plymouth, MANovember 19, 2013
Where do I begin... I loved being an outreach mental health clinician so much. But no reimbursement for mileage? It broke me. And the sheer volume of paperwork for each client, none of it digital - all hand-written, was completely unmanageable. I literally did not have a spare moment to myself, and yet I was only being paid for 20-30 hours per week, – more... IF and WHEN my paperwork ever passed multiple inspections and re-dos. my life was ruled by paperwork. And not just the repetitive writing (which could have easily been remedied by digitizing) but the organization and space problem of where and how to keep all these forms out in the field. And then we were made to feel like criminals for keeping client information in our vehicles. Just bizarre. This job was every bit as traumatizing as my least healthy relationships. Thank God I had the courage to leave after only 5 months.

Please warn others about this company. – less
Just wouldn't do it
Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee), Brockton, MAOctober 22, 2013
The experiences I have had with this agency taught me what I didn't want in this career. I found the for profit part of the job to be encompassing and impacting treatment as that was the focus during supervision. I would encourage anyone to do their own research when considering this agency as an employer.
Burn Out
Clinician (Former Employee), GreaterBoston AreaOctober 3, 2013
South Bay Mental Health drew me in due to what seemed like a great amount of caring for the disadvantaged population. I really value outreach work which is what much of the work is. Though the agency seems to have a great mission statement they really run their workers raged. The fee for services model generally is not a good one, if the clients don't – more... show up you don't get paid. They mislead you about it somewhat in the interviews how much it happens. The population we serve is dealing with so many different issues, d/v, homelessness, and many other services too balance that sometimes appointments are not a high priority. The expectation is that when some one cancels or you get to their home and they are not there that you call up another client to see if you can see them instead. This was something I did not find comfortable doing, it seemed very disrespectful of the clients time too assume that they would be ready to see you at anytime.

Overall I came to feel like focus was not on the best care of clients but on maintaining a high number of billable hours. The clients were seen on the basis of if the clinician needed hours not if they required care. Sometimes clients would be seen several times a week when not needed only to give the clinician a high amount of billable hours for that week. When at the same times some clients would go 2 or 3 months without having a therapist due to the high turn over rate. There were clients who went through 3 therapists within a span of less then 6 months due to the high turnover rate. They broke rules of CBHI laws having bachelors level clinicians work on cases without a masters level clinician due to the revolving door.

The reasons why the turnover rate was so high was due to the long hours the clinicians were required to put in but low pay. I very regularly had 12 hour days but only got paid for about 4 or 5 of those hours since driving time, meetings, supervisions and training's are not paid for. We are given no vacation time, sick time, I was scolded for not coming in the day of the lockdown after the Boston marathon due and told to plan better next time something like that happened. Clinicians are scolded for not being able to make the minimum billable hours and told to be more proactive when many times not making hours happens for a variety of different reasons way out of the clinicians control. – less
Challenging working managment
Out-reach Staff Therapist (Former Employee), Lynn, MASeptember 23, 2013
Pros: great explure to clients and famalies
Cons: person vehicle wear, poor managment
Clients and therapeutic work provided very enriching for mental health diagnosis, assessment, and treatment. Taxing daily schedule with lots of wear and tare on person vehicle with no company reinbursment for gasoline or other service. Managment inexpereinced and rigid, with closed minded view on what therapy is and a non-person centered client care – more... approach. Co-workes are devoted, hard-working, recent grads putting hours in for indipendent licensure. Hardest part of job working with managment, most enjoyable part of job work with clients. – less
Can't beat the experience; Schedule is unsustainable however.
Staff Therapist (Current Employee), Brockton, MASeptember 6, 2013
Pros: great experience; great co-workers, have training program and stipend to help while building fee-or-service clinet base, offers health benefits after 3 months.
Cons: long hours are the norm; weak supervisor team; in the dark ages of technology and record keeping
As far as fee-or service goes this is not so bad for helping you get up and running, for the hourly rate paid, clinical supervision is covered, and medical benefits are offered. The experience is unparallelled; if you can make it here you can make it anywhere.

The bad reviews stem from a very weak and shallow management team. The agency promotes inexperienced – more... people into these roles and then asks them to enforce the need to get clinicians to focus on hours, hours, hours and hours. Most of these supervisors are not licensed, and have limited experience. As a result there is little respect and a fair amount of animosity towards these administrative supervisors. This is too bad because most are very nice and caring people. So due to pressure from upper management, they come off as blaming the individual therapists if they are not meeting the required number of hours. Clients are often ambivalent about therapy or come just for the meds so there is a lot of turnover. This leads to "chasing clients or constantly opening new cases which can lead to feeling overwhelmed and overworked. This can be sustained for only so long leading to the high clinician turnover rate.

Some offices are late in offering clinical supervision (which you have to wait 3 months to qualify for), so it is important to advocate for that if you join. Everything is done on paper; there is no mention of converting to EHR yet.

The agency seems to have a split personality as far as trying to treat clinicians as employees or as contractors. It offers benefits, bonuses, clinical supervision, some limited support services, requires team meetings, and then vacation after a year, and holidays after 3 years which makes it look like it treat clinicians as employees.
But the agency really sees the clinicians as fee for service. So when new clinicians join it is confusing because they do not understand why the agency is not more supportive, why they have to wait so long for benefits. The reason is that if you think of it as a fee for service job, it is not so bad; but if you think of it as an employer-employee relationship it will be very disappointing.

It is what you make of it! – less
All the bad reviews are sadly true.
Staff therapist (Former Employee), MAAugust 1, 2013
Pros: skilled coworkers
Cons: little to no supervision, unfriendly administration, high turnover, no benefits, little pay, unprofessional, unethical.
Administration was completely unsupportive and never around when I needed them. About three months in I found myself in a life threatening situation and none of the half dozen supervisors could be reached or found. Focus is purely on numbers and billing. If you find you do not work well with a certain population, you are told to "keep trying" and not – more... allowed transfers. Don't work well with children, or know nothing about them? Tough. You WILL be forced to work with populations you know nothing about, with no clinical supervision to help, at the expense of the client. Whenever I had an issue or noticed unethical practices and brought them to a supervisor, I was scolded for being negative.

First three months salaried at $700 biweekly after taxes - be careful, they sometimes lie about this and throw out other numbers. No vacation, no sick time, and if you get the flu and take the day off, those hours MUST be made up. Mandatory to schedule at least 30 clients per week, add 15 minutes travel time between each, consults you do not get paid for, etc. etc., and like others said, it quickly becomes 10 and 12 hour days, 50 hour work weeks, and little pay. Unfortunately with fee for service, you only get paid if the client shows - so you may work 12 hours and only get $30. Lunch breaks are highly looked down upon.

Unfortunately after leaving the agency I also learned that they were illegally billing insurances - for example, M&M requires therapists to be practicing at least one year after graduation to be able to bill for services, and no insurances with copays will pay for unlicensed clinicians. However I did all those things and more, and the newly graduated therapists they hire do not know any better. I did not even know these things were issues until I went to an office based, highly regarded agency who told me the above actions were considered insurance fraud.

At my particular site, favoritism was clear.

Staff meetings were focused on team building rather than clinical issues, and many of the other workers admitted they drank heavily as a way of coping with work. Highly unprofessional.

Despite all this, I did meet wonderful coworkers that I am still friends with. Half of them have already quit or are looking to move on. High turn over rate. When I left, seven other people left within the month.

Expect to easily tag 10,000 miles on your car in 6 months or less. No mileage reimbursement - management will tell you to just claim everything on your taxes. – less
Fee for service
Fee-for -Service Clinician (Former Employee), Lawrence, MAJuly 16, 2013
Pros: nice people
Cons: ffs
very challenging to work as a Fee For Service Clinician. It's a poor model to work w, and adds additional stress when clt's don't show. FFS is not exclusive to South Bay, but just something to be aware of.

About South Bay Mental Health

South Bay Mental Health Center was founded in 1986 in Brockton, Massachusetts, a city of 100,000 approximately 25 miles south – Read more