South Bend Community School Corporation Employee Reviews

Stressful environment to work in.
4th Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 19, 2017
The environment is stressful due to the lack of support from leadership, the lack of compensation for the work that I do, and the lack of opportunity to advance despite higher level degrees and license.
Pros
Students and Families
Cons
Lack of advancement, no compensation for work or licenses
Not a great place to work
Human resources (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 8, 2017
Working here is like being in high school all over again. Gossip, and trying to get people in trouble are daily events. Work is never accomplished, and basically the people that earn the big bucks walk around and do absolutely nothing all day.
don't work here ever
Choir Teacher, Edison Intermediate Center (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INAugust 28, 2017
The lack of basic levels of discipline made this school one of the worst work experiences I have ever had in my entire life. At the end of the school year, more than 60% of the teachers left as they had the year before I came. The corporation hires around 250 new teachers per year and it's not really that large of a corporation.
Pros
I had a decent pay check for an entry level job
Cons
lack of discipline, advancement, problem solving, classroom supplies, and curriculum.
Productive and Enjoyable workplace
Administrative Assistant/Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INAugust 13, 2017
The typical day work in my position included working with students directly teaching and working on administration and database management. I learned a lot about managing school records, managing a night school without supervision, different styles of learning, and teaching a diverse group of individuals who had been previously unsuccessful at school. I spent a lot of time training and supervising volunteers and interns and developing curricula. The management was highly supportive and knowledgeable. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping individuals find successes where they had previously failed.
Pros
Opportunities to travel and attend training conferences
Cons
Due to budget cuts, not much chance for advancement
stresfull
Bus Driver/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INAugust 1, 2017
very stressfull but great co workers. high turnover rate. management is pretty good. they do well teaching you to get cdl. peaple are polite and considerate.
Pros
great team work
Cons
very fast paced
wonderful school
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 14, 2017
I learned a lot and had lots of people willing to help at anytime and with any problem. Wonderful working with people who are all working for the same goals.
Productive and Busy.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Bend, IN 46601June 27, 2017
I enjoy working for a productive busy environment. I bring over 25 years of professional administrative experience to any company/corporation. I thrive in any work environment.
Pros
I enjoy working with a busy environment.
Cons
I prefer to be busy and productive.
Corporation needs revamping
Secretary to the Principal (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 15, 2017
I've worked for this corporation for almost (10) ten years and have seen many different scenarios. There is definitely room for improvement as with most companies. However, issues that affect many staff have been talked about for years with no resolution in sight.

Leadership has changed hands at least (3) times since I've been here but the same problems still exist. This corporation needs a strong leader with integrity to hear the voices/concerns of the people who are employees and to respond accordingly.
Front Desk Clerk- Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 9, 2017
Their compensation is poor. They need to raise their employee's salary and offer a better benefit package. Union seems to be the best option to obtain better benefits, but no every school offered.
Pros
no long period of hours to work
Cons
poor compensation
Budget Cuts
Curriculum Facilitator (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 5, 2017
Like many school districts, SBCSC is experiencing a lot of budget cuts which has a huge impact on jobs and security. Partnering with teachers, students and their families is extremely rewarding in creating the best possible learning environment for all stakeholders!
Ok
NIGHT BUILDING ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 2, 2017
Typical custodial job. Kids are very disrespectful and damage the building. Could get so much more accomplished if you didn't have to repair the damage caused by the students
like working here
In School Suspension Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INMarch 30, 2017
I work in a school with about 300 students, and even when its a bad day I'm still glad I got up and went in to work. Not only can you help out but you have a great team behind you. The day can be frustrating in the position I hold as an ISS Para but its worth every minute.
Pros
team work
Cons
i'll get back to you on that
An enjoyable place to work.
School Counselor; Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMarch 30, 2017
The idea of shared governance for the operation of the school was a very memorable experience where staff buy-in was valued as the deciding votes were cast in favor of, or unfavorably for exploration and implementation of administrative plans for student success.
Much support was provided for staff development.

My overall work experience was great as a new employee to the public school setting.
Pros
Many dedicated staff
Cons
Low compensation
Great place to work, Kids are unpredictable and always changing!
Bus Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INFebruary 9, 2017
I usually report for 5:30 am Monday-Friday. I work with my driver to make sure that the children we transport to and from school get there safely and without anyone bother them in their personal space. The children range in age from 5 to 15 years of age. They all have some sort of a disability that they are dealing with. Sometimes making communication harder between us but we manage.
Pros
3 Hour break between drop-off and pick-up.
Cons
No health insurance, hourly wage and not enough hours. Only advancement is to become a driver.
Great
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 28, 2016
Excellent place to work and play the atmosphere is very family oriented and friendly. Staff treat you just like family and you will always feel a sense of security.
Tobacco Shop with diverse customers.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 4, 2016
I liked the fast pace job. I enjoyed waiting on customers and making them smile. I was able to learn more about the tobacco industry. This job also helped to enhance my skills dealing with inventory of products
Pros
Busy
Cons
understaffed
Enjoyed working in academic environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 17, 2015
I enjoyed working in an academic environment. I enjoyed working with the students, teaching them and assigning them their classwork. I would give them their assignment, review any questions, collect the work or assign it for homework. At the end of the day, I would write notes to the teacher and organize the classroom before leaving for the day.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the students
Who you know
Title 1- Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INFebruary 1, 2015
If you know the right people down in administration then you have a job for life. It doesn't matter if you're qualified for the job or if exceptional rapport was developed with the children. Need to start focusing back on the kids. We all need to work together for the children.
Productive and Engaging Workplace
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Substitute Teacher, South BendJanuary 13, 2015
South Bend Community School Corporation is a productive engaging workplace. Colleagues and management are supportive of each other and encourage members to be the best they could be so every student has the benefit of a quality learning every day.
The hardest part of my job is when my best efforts are not sufficient to assist a struggling student make significant academic gains. I need to remind myself sometimes that growth takes awhile and sometimes I might not see the progress made but eventually things get worked out.
There are many enjoyable moments in my teaching career, for example I celebrate with students their joys when they "finally get" a challenging concept or with colleagues when they share their success in their classes and I am motivated by the efforts my students make to be successful.
Summer work
Summer Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INNovember 28, 2014
This was just a summer job for me teaching summer school. The program no longer exist.