Change lives- Become a YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program Coach
Provide support and guidance to participants in the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program (YDPP) and implement standard curriculum designed for the YDPP.
A commitment to and supports the Y mission and more specifically, the vision and goals of Activate America’s focus on health seekers. Must have strong communication skills, the ability to build strong relationships with individuals and build community within a group, and have empathy for health seekers. Must be flexible to work with a wide variety of people; detail, data and computer savvy. Knowledge of basic health, nutrition, and fitness is encouraged and understanding of behavior change required. Familiarity and proficiency with Listen First or motivational interviewing highly encouraged.
- Provide curriculum to class participants in effective, meaningful and compelling ways.
- Encourage group participation and interaction through the use of open-ended questions and facilitate commitment and retention of participants.
- Create a motivating environment that is friendly and non-competitive.
- Foster relationships with and between participants.
- Make learning a shared responsibility for the group.
- Prepare before each class (i.e. review participants’ food and activity trackers, lesson plan, content for class, reminder call to participants).
- Provide accessibility to participants both before and after sessions to answer questions and follow-up on any questions you cannot answer during class time.
- Follow-up with participants outside of class if they are unable to attend (provide an in-person make-up session opportunity).
- Support and encourage goal setting on a weekly basis.
- Record weekly data for each participant (attendance, body weight, physical activity total weekly minutes, etc.)
- Arrive for class on time and dressed appropriately.
Indeed - 11 months ago
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y,...