South Dakota State Government Employee Reviews

Great people to work with
Mental Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Yankton, SDNovember 3, 2016
Horrible bosses to back you up. Great location. Not great security. Easy to get different positions. Learned that mental illness is in everyone. Working with amazing people as coworkers and clients
Summary
Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Martin, SDOctober 1, 2016
Its a thankless position where those who should be behind you fail. Having poor supervisors prevents future growth and lacks support. The children and families you work with are amazing and it is very rewarding knowing you can make a difference in someone's life
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Poor supervisory
greeter
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 13, 2016
was let go after I called in sick for one day. since I don't get paid if I don't work was not sure why I was fired.

Supervisor is very busy and overwhelmed. Exmainers on the most part fare freiendly and helpful others not so much.

People liked to try to tell me what to do
Good family balance
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 8, 2016
I learned a lot of skills in health care and hospice care. I worked directly under the care of an RN and was able to care for my grandmother instead of having a stranger do it
Good team members and staff
Sr. Business Analyst/System/ Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 9, 2016
Its a very good place to work because of the team members and the staff.The staff and the members are very helpful hear.The management is nicely arranged.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
No free lunch
Putting my skills to work
Computer Support Associate (Former Employee) –  South DakotaNovember 5, 2014
Got to be bale to put my skills to work doing what I love. Loved working with the team. Having to move back to Wisconsin ended my time.
Productive and fun place to work
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJuly 15, 2014
The State of South Dakota Pennington County Clerks Office was an awesome place to work. Not only did you stay busy but thousands of people from all walks of life come through every day. You get to know a lot of people, you help a lot of people and its always got something interesting going on.
Intern duty
LPN (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 21, 2014
A typical day consists of patient sick call, dressing changes, provider visits, med passes, lab draws , intakes, drunk tank assessments, noting orders, and meetings. I learned so much of my nursing skills here i don't even know where to begin. The thing i learned the most was how to triage. Management was excelled in some and struggled severely in others. As for my co-workers some i knew well and some i did not due to shifts and locations. The hardest part of the job was there just was never enough time in the day. The most enjoyable was the knowledge you gained.
Pros
flexible schedule and great teachers
Cons
pay, benefits, and time off
Importance of being and Inspector
Retired, State Inspector (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 5, 2014
With a varied job description and responsibilities with the freedom of scheduling my territorial inspections and carrying out those inspections in a format arranged by me. I was able to really enjoy my career with the State of South Dakota because of that flexibility.

I was able to visit and work with many intelligent individuals over the years with great personal satisfaction!

My enjoyment came in many forms but mostly from what I was able to give the community and businesses in this State by way of educating them on the importance of being in Code and making their business safer and more rewarding for their customers!
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Compensation was low for the responsibilities and red tape.
programmer
PROGRAMMER ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDOctober 3, 2012
Worked with the Department of Social Service on installing CNSI MMIS system. My role was to interface with the State Medical Management on identifying/mapping edits, and business rules logic from an existing mainframe system to CNSI MMIS system.
- Assist a team of programmer in the development of a VSAM/CICS Medicaid Claims System. Coded, tested, implemented Cobol/CICS programs. Assisted with a VSAM to ORACLE conversion that involved data mapping and analyzing impact to programs, coding and testing programs.
- Mapped and coordinate ORACLE tables against existing VSAM file for the State of South Dakota. Interfaced with CNSI staff with the status of the ORACLE tables
Pros
mmis, db2
Cons
end of contract
State of South Dakota
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDFebruary 20, 2012
In my years of working as a contractor, only one organization was worse than the State of South Dakota. The management was incompetent and some of them outright lazy. The senior management was not sufficiently techinally competent to fully understand the nature of the mess that they have been handed by a former programmer. They will not listen to outsiders, regardless of experience and expertise. They have at least one system that utilizes Natural Construct models, yet they will tell you that they do not have Natural Construct. They may not own the product, but they certainly do have programs that use the models and the existing programs can not be rebuilt using the Construct tool as they have coded outside the exits and done pretty much everything else that results in the creation of an unmaintainable nightmare. I would avoid them like the plague. I found the management to be incompetent, rude, abrasive, unapproachalbe, and out of touch. The only real quality that I observed in them that had resulted in individuals being elevated to management, was a willingness to live in Pierre, SD.
Pros
low cost of living
Cons
every thing else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Dakota State Government. Our community is ready to answer.

South Dakota State Government Reviews by Location