South Dakota State Government Employee Reviews

Overall not good
Best Guy (Former Employee) –  The TopFebruary 13, 2018
Job sucks, the people that were admitted there seemed to be the only ones who care, most of the other workers seemed more paranoid than some of the patients. Very unpleasent
Cons
everything
Hardworking maintence of a lake
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, SDNovember 27, 2017
Its a job where you need to have many skills. You will mow grass, comb beaches, cut down trees, maintain docks and boats, and a variety of other things it takes to maintain a lake.
Was very fortunate to get this position.
VARIOUS POSITIONS (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDOctober 10, 2017
Very challenging and rewarding position. I was able to use my college degree in Business Administration. Generous benefits, semi-annual performance reviews were very informational.
Pros
free lunches
Perfect Job!
Respite Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Yankton, SDJuly 12, 2017
I work for a specific family doing respite care for their son who has cerebral palsy. It is rewarding and fun. The state of south dakota provides the family with funds to pay me whenever they need a break.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Few hours
Great Workplace
Local Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Spearfish, SDJune 2, 2017
Amazing people to work with. I loved helping people each day that were searching for meaningful employment. Its not everyday that you get that much satisfaction. SD rocks
Great people to work with
Mental Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Yankton, SDNovember 3, 2016
Horrible bosses to back you up. Great location. Not great security. Easy to get different positions. Learned that mental illness is in everyone. Working with amazing people as coworkers and clients
Continued learning experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 18, 2016
A typical day is to see clinic patients, assess and determine if the patient needs to be seen by the provider. We have daily emergent situations that my coworkers and myself work very hard to help these patients. Working in my current position I deal with alot of mental health patients, mental health medications, medical procedures, and clinical medications
Pros
Continuing learning experiences
Cons
Unpredictable situations
Summary
Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Martin, SDOctober 1, 2016
Its a thankless position where those who should be behind you fail. Having poor supervisors prevents future growth and lacks support. The children and families you work with are amazing and it is very rewarding knowing you can make a difference in someone's life
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Poor supervisory
greeter
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 13, 2016
was let go after I called in sick for one day. since I don't get paid if I don't work was not sure why I was fired.

Supervisor is very busy and overwhelmed. Exmainers on the most part fare freiendly and helpful others not so much.

People liked to try to tell me what to do
Good family balance
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 8, 2016
I learned a lot of skills in health care and hospice care. I worked directly under the care of an RN and was able to care for my grandmother instead of having a stranger do it
Good team members and staff
Sr. Business Analyst/System/ Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 9, 2016
Its a very good place to work because of the team members and the staff.The staff and the members are very helpful hear.The management is nicely arranged.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
No free lunch
Correctional care
Clinical coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 10, 2016
I really enjoyed my position as clinical coordinator and having the opportunity to teach new staff and inmates. Left job for husband relocation to Colorado.
Great place
Reproduction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDJuly 22, 2015
Working here allowed me to talk a little with people everyday. They become a little part of your family. The job also allowed freedom to do my tasks at my pace as long as they all got done in a timely matter.
In this position I learned multiple things. The computer systems were their own so you learn from scratch. Part of the program was rewritten at one point and I had to learn a new system. I learned how to use multiple copiers and binding machines which were interesting.
Pros
nice atmosphere
Cons
the one week a month I was drowned with work
Enjoyed the people
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Thompson, SDDecember 30, 2014
Overall I have to say that the job was full filling. I worked with mostly Native Americans and developed a very good relationship with the majority of them through respect and courtesy. My personality fit in very well with the majority of clients that we served.
Pros
Co-workers, clients and other outside staff that were not part of WIC but other programs that were there.
Cons
Not enough time for the work load due to the allowed FTE, 24 hrs a pay period.
Putting my skills to work
Computer Support Associate (Former Employee) –  South DakotaNovember 5, 2014
Got to be bale to put my skills to work doing what I love. Loved working with the team. Having to move back to Wisconsin ended my time.
Productive and fun place to work
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJuly 15, 2014
The State of South Dakota Pennington County Clerks Office was an awesome place to work. Not only did you stay busy but thousands of people from all walks of life come through every day. You get to know a lot of people, you help a lot of people and its always got something interesting going on.
Intern duty
LPN (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 21, 2014
A typical day consists of patient sick call, dressing changes, provider visits, med passes, lab draws , intakes, drunk tank assessments, noting orders, and meetings. I learned so much of my nursing skills here i don't even know where to begin. The thing i learned the most was how to triage. Management was excelled in some and struggled severely in others. As for my co-workers some i knew well and some i did not due to shifts and locations. The hardest part of the job was there just was never enough time in the day. The most enjoyable was the knowledge you gained.
Pros
flexible schedule and great teachers
Cons
pay, benefits, and time off
Importance of being and Inspector
Retired, State Inspector (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 5, 2014
With a varied job description and responsibilities with the freedom of scheduling my territorial inspections and carrying out those inspections in a format arranged by me. I was able to really enjoy my career with the State of South Dakota because of that flexibility.

I was able to visit and work with many intelligent individuals over the years with great personal satisfaction!

My enjoyment came in many forms but mostly from what I was able to give the community and businesses in this State by way of educating them on the importance of being in Code and making their business safer and more rewarding for their customers!
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Compensation was low for the responsibilities and red tape.
Wonderful State to work for
Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDDecember 10, 2013
Very busy daily tasks of handling all the needs of SDDA, it was a large work load, but the Staff and office was a wonderful environment, I have no negative comments. Was the best employer I have been blessed to work for thus far in my life. I was sad to leave but needed to move near ill family.
Pros
Excellent group of people to work with
relaxed , low stress position
Office Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pierre, SDApril 14, 2013
I work for the Department of Ag, Agronomy Services, mostly male department, but a fine group to work with. I've learned a great deal about state government and the importance on Agriculture to our country. I enjoy my work here and the people I work will.
My move to South Dakota was to follow my spouse and his career, I heart is in Illinois where are family lives and I plan to return there.
I have nothing negative to say about my current job.
Pros
benefits, retirement, great work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Dakota State Government. Our community is ready to answer.

South Dakota State Government Reviews by Location