SOUTH FLORIDA WATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT Employee Reviews

State job and that pretty much says it all
Diesel Engine Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 1, 2017
You could not find a more professional work environment if you tried, it is that good. I didn't mind working in the field, kept an eye on the gators and snakes, learned to laser align engine and gearboxes, was able to do a good bit if welding and fabricating which I love to do.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
good benefits and job opportunities
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 19, 2017
fast paced, challenging job in the accounting and business group within the agency. Able to use my knowledge and training in accounting while managing the daily operations
benefits
Cons
supervision, management swayed by politics wtihin company
grat job
crew chiaef electronics (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 18, 2017
Very good job very secure. great benefits. Excellent work hours. Worked 4 days a week. 10 hours per day. Great coworkers. Many opportunity for advancement with extra training.
Analytic lab
Analytical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 9, 2017
I loved the atmosphere in the SFWMD. I worked under my past chemistry professor. When I started the internship I was exposed to many different equipment and techniques I never heard before.
Pros
smart people
Cons
need degree to work there
Great place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJuly 5, 2017
Great place to work, I learned a lot from the HR Director while I was there. ( LOA, RTW, FMLA)
SFWMD has a heart and cares about the community, typically they have a few charity events during the year that the employees would be involved in to raise money.
Pros
Four ten hour days
Great company
Accounts Payable Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 7, 2017
Great company to work for. Would work for them again. Lost job due to cutbacks . I worked in the Accounts Payable Department. I checked all vendor invoices that were processed for accuracy. I also processed check requests and maintained all the files.
Pros
Benefits, bonuses, pay raises
Cons
some employee drama
Needs to change
Hydrogeologist (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 18, 2017
The work has some gratification but mostly mundane with more focus on petty issues than scientific applications. There is no salary increase or bonuses and no training for career advancement.
Depressing
Supervising Chemist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 24, 2017
No advancement poor management, poor pay. No recognition for good work. Very much the "good old boy" type of network in place. No reward for initiative
Too Political
Business management analyst admin 3 (Former Employee) –  Homestead, FLJanuary 20, 2017
Employees are not valued. No growth potential. Managers hire favorites even if they are not the best fit. Culture is weak. No trust.
Pros
Time off accrued
Cons
Management, everything
Wide range of job assignments directed over a very large infastructure.
Crane/Dragline Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, FLNovember 26, 2016
On a day to day basis there would be multiple projects or maintenance operations in progress. I found changes in assignments were a common occurrence due to prioritization given to the most urgent need. Over the 35 years I worked there there was always a backlog of things that could be done and even should be done. Often our work had a ever present risk of damage to equipment, vehicles and District assets. A very careful and methodical approach to any given task was important. A tightening budget had a way of making the work process tense at times.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
growing negitive public preception
Organization Decimated by Management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 24, 2016
Used to be a great place to work. Now management looks for ways to criticize and diminish employees and cut tools used to do our jobs. Coworkers are great but everyone is demoralized. Looking for other opportunities. No chance for advancement and no pay increases in years. Sad what has been done to a once world class organization as so much talent and experience has been driven away.
Pros
It's a job, coworkers
Cons
Management's attitude and treatment of employees
the good people left
Scientist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 14, 2016
Play politics. Leave your morals at home. Put your head down. Look the other way. New motto. HR is incompetent. Management is worse. No advancement. Low salaries. Benefits cut. Run while you can!
Pros
facilities, some employees
Cons
practically everything
Removed growth possibilities
Regulatory Permit staff (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 8, 2016
During the first few years with the District, there were numerous opportunities for both growth and advancement. These possibilities have disappeared, along with any chance of advancement.
Pros
Good people on staff
Cons
no growth
Secure Employment
Senior Fleet Technicia (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLOctober 17, 2015
State operated facility maintaining water control structures for flood prevention. Equipment maintenance and repair.
Pros
Job Security = Necessary tools are provided.
Cons
Hot and dirty work conditions. Mandatory participation during severe weather events.
Fun and exciting place to work
Electronics Tech 3 (Current Employee) –  Okeechobbee, FLJuly 5, 2015
On a typical day working the the SCADA Maintenance unit, you work out in the remote areas of Florida that makes work enjoyable. Pay is not the best out there, but work stress is low.
Pros
Outdoors, woods, everglades
Cons
No regular raises, government job.
Engineering work.
LEAD ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 27, 2014
Engineering work in the field and at the office.
Some regulation.
Public presentations.
lots of meetings
Very technical environment
Senior HR Professional- Training (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 10, 2014
Great place to learn about water management and environmental conservation. Working with engineers, scientist, project managers, information technology experts enhances your own knowledge.
Pros
Many opportunities to learn about the environment
Cons
Reserved comments
Best Days are in the Past
HR Professional (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 8, 2014
Politics overwhelmed every work day with the science and technology taking a back seat.
Pros
Benefits and co-workers, working in beautiful S FL
Cons
Executive managment, HR and compensation
SFWMD is ione of the more sought after jobs in our area.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clewiston, FLFebruary 16, 2014
Working at the SFWMD is like joining a family. Everyone is friend and outgoing. They go the extra mile to ensure new employees adjust to the SFWMD way of life.
Pros
The people and the mission!
Cons
Working during and after hurricanes.
The best job that I have ever had
Professional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 29, 2013
This was a great place to work. Yes, it has internal politics like any other place, but it had a noble mission and most of the people were great. In retrospect, I wished that I had been older and more experienced and I would have never left. If you can get a job here, keep it!!
Pros
Great staff, benefits were great
Cons
pay is not as a high