South Georgia Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible management / Good experience
radiology technologist (Current Employee) –  radiologyDecember 24, 2015
Several upper positions have resigned or been walked out the door recently. Workers across the hospital are told not to get overtime, however the facility is understaffed and management puts you on the schedule to get overtime. Employees are overworked and patients wait countless hours for care. I've never seen such poor treatment. You are not paid for lunch even though you often are so busy you can't take it and no relief is given..same thing with breaks. The workers are unhappy and there is a high turnover rate.
Benefits
Cons
Overworked, bad management
Poor Management/over worked
Employee (Current Employee) –  EmployeeMarch 28, 2016
This hospitals moral has gone down tremendously. They have no loyalty to anyone. Doesn't matter how many years of service you've put in you are constantly reminded you are replaceable. The turnover rate is through the roof. Understaffed and underpaid but demanded to do jobs that are not in your description. No overtime is allowed yet want you to work all the time due to being short staffed. Lunch break? What is that? You're lucky to get one. Over all the staff is not happy and the patients wait hours to be seen due to poor management and lack of staff.
Pros
Easy to get a job
Cons
Understaffed/not respected
Flourishing hospital with great opportunities
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GASeptember 16, 2015
SGMC is a great workplace to start a medical career. Benefits are only offered to full time employees, but other than that not a bad place to work. Very team oriented environment.
Awful place in every aspect
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMay 6, 2016
From HR to management this place could care less about its employees. From the application process to the hiring process this place is VERY slow. HR is unprofessional. After I was called with an offer I was given time to think about it and it took a week for HR to return my call after sending emails, leaving voicemails, and contacting the hiring authority. SGMC does not even begin to offer pay that is anywhere near comparable to other hospitals in the relevant market (to include facilities within 45 min to 1 hr away). As a BSN, RN with one year of experience I was given an insulting offer of $21.65 - keep in mind they pay new grads with NO expereince $21.03. HR stated that SGMC does not take your level of education into consideration (so basically an associates is the same as a BSN in their world). When comparing SGMC to the relevant market their weekend differential is 15% less, they do not offer float pay, you are required to work every other weekend vs one weekend a month, and are not eligible for PTO until your 91st day. These are all reasons their turn over is horrible and why they have over 80 nursing positions currently open.

I highly suggest you look elsewhere for employment.
Pros
Cons
This place is dreadful in every way.
Covience
Monitor Tech II (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAApril 28, 2016
The pay grade for this hospital is ridiculous. The cost of living in Valdosta has tripled, but the cost of living rate has not changed. The staff is not appreciated not only are you over-worked but to be under paid with it is terrible. The culture is ok, the flexibility is the only great thing about this hospital.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay rate is terrible
This is a productive job where you prep out-patient charts for scanning.
Customer Service Tech Med Records Dept. (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMay 3, 2016
Answering phone calls regarding record request from doctor office or hospitals. The productive work was prepping out-patient charts for scanning. Wonderful co-workers and management.
Pros
Wonderful Hospital to work for.
Cons
Productive Work.
Friendly enviroment but poor management
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 9, 2015
You are lucky if you only have 2 floors to cover. The workload is extremely high. Most co-workers are friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is trying to be a three places at one time. The most enjoyable part of the job caring for my patients and connect with people. There are some great people within the organization. Management could use some improvement starting with the budget for clinical services. Cut backs seem to always start with clinical staffing.
Pros
Friendly environment, great people
Cons
Poor staffing
Great work environment, friendly employees, insufficient compensation
❸ Healthcare Application Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 13, 2014
I enjoy training licensed and ancillary staff on a variety of healthcare applications in the hospital inpatient and outpatient setting. I have gained valuable and applicable experience in several electronic health record (EHR) applications such as: McKesson Horizon Expert Orders, Expert documentation, AdminRx, Relay Health, Athena Health EMR, and many more. I participate as part of the implementation team for all EHR project phases: class scheduling, integrated testing, training/education, and go-live support. I work with a great team and staff in the Information Services department, and have established great working relationships and networks in the organization.
Pros
self pace, teamwork, and good work/life time management
Cons
less than average compensation, low employee moral, not recognized for accomplishments
Busy but enjoyable place to work.
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAOctober 16, 2015
The job is very productive and busy. The managment is very understanding and works with employees. Co workers work together threw all situations team work. the hardest part of the job is being short staff and making sure noon is missed. I enjoy working with my co workers. I see all patients that come into the emergency room and gather personal information including what insurance to file and co payments.
Pros
working in healthcare
Cons
12 hour shifts
I loved my job as a PCA III
PATIENT CARE TECH III (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 18, 2015
The hospital teaches you so much ! This is an amazing position if you are trying to become a nurse. I would work for this hospital again if i was back in Georgia !
My job is good its has good and bads days according to whats dispatched out could be sad
Secretary/Non Emergency Transport for EMS (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAOctober 30, 2013
Setting up transports registration billing. How to treat everyone as individual and how you would like to be treated regardless of the way they act.We are a team here and everyone helps everybody when needed or ask.The peolpe I work with are great and the is no bad part of my job it's all enjoyable
Pros
benefits and monday thru friday
Healthcare setting at hospital.
PBX Operator (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 14, 2013
Everyday is a challenge that comes with new knowledge in healthcare. Working with co workers as a team was beneficial to providing excellent customer service. it was always a good day when you can help people who may not understand or know where to turn in situations surrounding this hospital care.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
no benefits
Awful place to work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 20, 2015
Work loads are terrible. Administration is terrible. When I first started working there it was fabulous! Now it's unreal what they ask of you to do with no administration help at all. All they want to do is condemn everything. No appreciation for employees at all. The last year & a half I worked there were so stressful and crazy. The rules constantly are changing sometimes day to day! I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work there! Administration just doesn't care at ALL about the employees!!! The pay is completely horrible for what they ask of each employee. Only the "chosen" few can advance and even sometimes even they are demoted for no reason at all. One person came to SGMC and is destroying it from the inside out. Hundreds of wonderful knowledgeable people were asked to take early retirement or be fired. Working conditions are so bad that good people are leaving left and right. It's a revolving door hospital. PAS dept is a complete disaster!!! Patient Financial Services all had to reapply for their jobs and even if they had worked there for 20 years in a position some were told that they weren't qualified to work in that position anymore. Unreal... The Hospital Authority Board is completely clueless as to what goes on at SGMC. Administration is clueless as to what goes on in PAS and PFS!!! The director doesn't even know how to register a patient!!! NO HELP to employees. People are forced to work off the clock because the work HAS to be done but NO overtime is allowed... Ever...
Pros
None!!!
Cons
Everything!!!
I learned how the hospital preps patients charts for scanning.
Customer Service Tech Med Rec Dept (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GASeptember 26, 2015
This was an interesting job. I already knew how to send record request to Dr office's and Hospitals before working here. However, prepping charts was very challenging. I worked 3 pm to 11 pm shift.
Fast Pace Enviroment
Patient Access Service Rep (Current Employee) –  valdosta gaAugust 11, 2015
Typical Day starts at 7:00 am I come and prepare my work for the day ahead, we see scheduled patients and walk ins. my first patient normally arrives at 7:20 i verify personal info and patient data I also verify insurance coverage and collect any cost estimates. I typically see 40 patients a day our Imaging Department sees total 200+ patients.
Pros
its fast pass and constantly busy
Cons
very repetative
Loved my job
Laboratory Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 14, 2015
Loved talking to people who needed help and so glad I was able to help them. Spent the day processing specimens and getting them ready to send out to other laboratories. I received results for test and input into the computer. I also relayed stat results to doctors offices and nurses.
Pros
Performed specimen processing with ease and accuracy
Medical Records Receptionist/ Director's Secretary (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 11, 2012
Strong managment, with a strict schedule to keep everything in line. Good training and day to day duties were well laid out
benefits
Cons
short lunch
My favorite Job
Emergency Room Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMarch 14, 2015
This was probably my favorite place that I have worked at. The worked, my teammates, everything was awesome. A typical day at work would be coming in, getting assignment and then checking to see what tasks needed to be done at that particular moment. I learned how to draw blood, how to do ekg's, how to think critically and how to manage time. Management was awesome, always willing to help as well as my co workers. The hardest part about my job was the high stress levels at time and the most enjoyable I would have to say would be the people that I worked with.
Pros
coworkers/doctors/environment
Cons
high stress at times
rewarding work enviroment
senior staff nurse (Current Employee) –  cardiac cath lab prep and recoveryJune 4, 2015
I provide a thorough physical assessment. start IV's, patient assessment, review labs, review home medications . Patient education about procedure. Closely monitor patient when they return from procedure. Provide discharge education to patient and families. I have excellent communication skill with physicians, patients, and co-workers. I have nineteen years experience as a registered nurse.
Pros
provide education to staff
Cons
monetary gain to employees
Horror House
Nursing Support (Former Employee) –  LakelandNovember 15, 2014
This company was the worst place I have ever worked in my life. Management lack skills on their own policies and procedures. To busy purchasing new facilities to even care about quality of care. SGMC Lakeland this facility was stuck in the dark ages it reminded me of an episode of "The Beverly Hillbilly sitcom" a typical day at work was nothing but confusion and no support amongst staff. The Hardest part of the job was the cultural setting the workers were complacent and lack skills. No regard for respect or dignity to its patients. I would not recommend anyone to work for this company they don't care about workers. Lowest wages in this region. They practice discrimination tactics on a daily!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Georgia Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9