South Georgia Medical Center Employee Reviews

I loved my job as a PCA III
PATIENT CARE TECH III (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 18, 2015
The hospital teaches you so much ! This is an amazing position if you are trying to become a nurse. I would work for this hospital again if i was back in Georgia !
Friendly enviroment but poor management
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 9, 2015
You are lucky if you only have 2 floors to cover. The workload is extremely high. Most co-workers are friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is trying to be a three places at one time. The most enjoyable part of the job caring for my patients and connect with people. There are some great people within the organization. Management could use some improvement starting with the budget for clinical services. Cut backs seem to always start with clinical staffing.
Pros
Friendly environment, great people
Cons
Poor staffing
Busy but enjoyable place to work.
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAOctober 16, 2015
The job is very productive and busy. The managment is very understanding and works with employees. Co workers work together threw all situations team work. the hardest part of the job is being short staff and making sure noon is missed. I enjoy working with my co workers. I see all patients that come into the emergency room and gather personal information including what insurance to file and co payments.
Pros
working in healthcare
Cons
12 hour shifts
I learned how the hospital preps patients charts for scanning.
Customer Service Tech Med Rec Dept (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GASeptember 26, 2015
This was an interesting job. I already knew how to send record request to Dr office's and Hospitals before working here. However, prepping charts was very challenging. I worked 3 pm to 11 pm shift.
Flourishing hospital with great opportunities
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GASeptember 16, 2015
SGMC is a great workplace to start a medical career. Benefits are only offered to full time employees, but other than that not a bad place to work. Very team oriented environment.
Awful place to work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 20, 2015
Work loads are terrible. Administration is terrible. When I first started working there it was fabulous! Now it's unreal what they ask of you to do with no administration help at all. All they want to do is condemn everything. No appreciation for employees at all. The last year & a half I worked there were so stressful and crazy. The rules constantly are changing sometimes day to day! I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work there! Administration just doesn't care at ALL about the employees!!! The pay is completely horrible for what they ask of each employee. Only the "chosen" few can advance and even sometimes even they are demoted for no reason at all. One person came to SGMC and is destroying it from the inside out. Hundreds of wonderful knowledgeable people were asked to take early retirement or be fired. Working conditions are so bad that good people are leaving left and right. It's a revolving door hospital. PAS dept is a complete disaster!!! Patient Financial Services all had to reapply for their jobs and even if they had worked there for 20 years in a position some were told that they weren't qualified to work in that position anymore. Unreal... The Hospital Authority Board is completely clueless as to what goes on at SGMC. Administration is clueless as to what goes on in PAS and PFS!!! The director doesn't even know how to register a patient!!! NO HELP to employees. People are forced to work off the clock because the work HAS to be done but NO overtime is allowed... Ever...
Pros
None!!!
Cons
Everything!!!
Loved my job
Laboratory Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 14, 2015
Loved talking to people who needed help and so glad I was able to help them. Spent the day processing specimens and getting them ready to send out to other laboratories. I received results for test and input into the computer. I also relayed stat results to doctors offices and nurses.
Pros
Performed specimen processing with ease and accuracy
Fast Pace Enviroment
Patient Access Service Rep (Current Employee) –  valdosta gaAugust 11, 2015
Typical Day starts at 7:00 am I come and prepare my work for the day ahead, we see scheduled patients and walk ins. my first patient normally arrives at 7:20 i verify personal info and patient data I also verify insurance coverage and collect any cost estimates. I typically see 40 patients a day our Imaging Department sees total 200+ patients.
Pros
its fast pass and constantly busy
Cons
very repetative
rewarding work enviroment
senior staff nurse (Current Employee) –  cardiac cath lab prep and recoveryJune 4, 2015
I provide a thorough physical assessment. start IV's, patient assessment, review labs, review home medications . Patient education about procedure. Closely monitor patient when they return from procedure. Provide discharge education to patient and families. I have excellent communication skill with physicians, patients, and co-workers. I have nineteen years experience as a registered nurse.
Pros
provide education to staff
Cons
monetary gain to employees
A job
Pre Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMay 31, 2015
When I first started working here it was great, but now impossible workloads have been placed on employees without the people needed to meet deadlines. More reprimanding than commendation.
Pros
A job
Cons
Don't count on commendation
OK
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAApril 5, 2015
Ok organization, the work was daily and routine nothing changed. Chances for advancing is minimal. Pay could be higher.
My favorite Job
Emergency Room Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMarch 14, 2015
This was probably my favorite place that I have worked at. The worked, my teammates, everything was awesome. A typical day at work would be coming in, getting assignment and then checking to see what tasks needed to be done at that particular moment. I learned how to draw blood, how to do ekg's, how to think critically and how to manage time. Management was awesome, always willing to help as well as my co workers. The hardest part about my job was the high stress levels at time and the most enjoyable I would have to say would be the people that I worked with.
Pros
coworkers/doctors/environment
Cons
high stress at times
Relaxing job.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 28, 2015
Very flexible and relaxing work environment. Enjoyed working with the Company I just wanted to broaden my skills.
Pros
always had jobs to go to
Cons
not enough pay
Overall the company is a good Hospital.
Food Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 29, 2014
I was working with a lot of great people. I enjoy the experience working with the people in the kitchen. What i learn working with them in the kitchen is keep your hands wash, make sure your area is clean, and make sure you prepare the food right. I was a school program when i was working on this job.
RIS/PACS Project Manager/System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 19, 2014
Working at SGMC was a wonderful environment. Employees at this location had the freedom to do their assigned applications with little or no interference. The co-workers were fun to work with and they were very competent. It was a very enjoyable job and had no real problems that no other person working with different personalities. I would recommend anyone interested in working there to apply. The leadership is great in the IT Department.
Great
Housekeeper III (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 10, 2014
Great Place to work, great caring people, clean facility, every demonstrates excellent teamwork and customer service is outstanding
It was fulfilling learning how to research records to help others
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 1, 2014
I supervised new employees and checked patients in and out. I learned how to multi-task.
Pros
communicating with others
Cons
low pay
Horror House
Nursing Support (Former Employee) –  LakelandNovember 15, 2014
This company was the worst place I have ever worked in my life. Management lack skills on their own policies and procedures. To busy purchasing new facilities to even care about quality of care. SGMC Lakeland this facility was stuck in the dark ages it reminded me of an episode of "The Beverly Hillbilly sitcom" a typical day at work was nothing but confusion and no support amongst staff. The Hardest part of the job was the cultural setting the workers were complacent and lack skills. No regard for respect or dignity to its patients. I would not recommend anyone to work for this company they don't care about workers. Lowest wages in this region. They practice discrimination tactics on a daily!
Fun work place with fun co-workers.
Radiologic Technologist Intern (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAOctober 31, 2014
The co-workers were easy to get along with and were always helpful. They provided great encouragement and my confidence was boosted.
Busy Floor
Patient Care Technician II (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAOctober 15, 2014
-Taking care of patients could be up to 17 at one time
-Learn to do your job independently
-Some job titles were not recognized for their hard work as if they were not as important as others
-Hardest part-getting current manager to address certain issues with certain people; previous manager was great!
-Enjoyable part-making the patients happy and their families; the patients and their families telling you they appreciate you
Pros
making patients happy
Cons
short break, sometimes no break