South Moon Under Employee Reviews

Fast pace
Sales Associate/Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 8, 2016
If you're into working with a bunch of women, it's the place for you. You'll either love it or hate it. The customers are pretty cool, some co-workers were cooler than others.
Extremely unhealthy work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 17, 2015
By far, the worst retail company I have ever worked for. The customers are the rudest, most entitled people you will ever meet and the management throughout the company is the same. The compensation is horrendous and the work/life balance is non-existent. The employee discount was not even good and was different for associates, assistant managers and store managers--but we weren't allowed to talk about that! Which created an environment of mistrust and overall shadiness. Associates received 20% off product, Assistant managers 30% off and Store Managers 40% off.
Pros
decent schedule stability
Cons
too numerous to count
Love the laid back atmosphere...
Home Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Berlin, MDAugust 22, 2012
This is definitely a work hard, play hard environment. Employees are expected to 'get the job done', but still have time to fit surfing, sunning, or happy hour at one of the local hot spots. Expectations are higher these days due to our growth and new store openings, but in most peoples' eyes, that would be a positive characteristic of a company.

We carry an eclectic mix of fashion and accessories, so it's always fun to keep an eye on how employees like to express themselves with their style.

Do not expect to be micro-managed. You want to be sure you have an entrepreneurial spirit, initiative, and can 'think outside of the box'.

The fact that the company is still privately owned and has been around since 1968 says something. Not to mention, the owner (Frank Gunion), still eats lunch every day with the employees....not your typical CEO of an organization.
Pros
health benefits, employee discount, paid time off, expression of personal style, company growth
Cons
with the growth also comes growing pains, but that is to be expected.
Working environment is not professional and not managed well
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Berlin, MDJanuary 19, 2012
- management is not professional

- work atmosphere is hostle and unorganized

- would not recommend this employer to someone looking for longterm employment
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
staff and environment are not professional
Up and Coming
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 11, 2016
South Moon Under is a great company to work for they are still small but, growing fast. With any other small company there are some growing pains.
Professional small business with growth opportunities
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Christiana, DEDecember 18, 2014
South Moon Under was one of the most challenging and fun jobs I have ever had. Being surrounded by fashionable and positive people from all different backgrounds and walks of life had a major impact on my creativity and inspiration. Management was always helpful and excited to answer questions and teach associates new skills, making every part of the team a valuable asset to the company. There were many challenging aspects of working at SMU, but everything was accomplished through team work and positive encouragement. I have to say that every aspect of working at South Moon was enjoyable and taught me so much about the fashion merchandising and retail industry.
Fun and creative atmosphere focused on excellent customer service
Sales Associate and Lead Stylist (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAAugust 5, 2015
Retail environment that celebrates individual style and vision, customer service built on making friendships rather than pushing promotional materials, team focused rather than working on commission, can be a pro or a con for some.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
small company, benefit package is small
Friendly, productive work environment.
2nd Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ocean City, MDJune 16, 2014
A typical day at South Moon Under consists of me coming in for either an opening or closing shift. I am in charge of opening and closing the registers, coming up with a plan and bold goals for my assiciates, and managing my team to reach high productivity. We recieve shipment up to five days a week and I am responsible for merchandising these items to reflect brand standards. I enjoy working with my friendly coworkers and am happy to answer to my store manager. My favorite part of my job would have to be merchandising product in certain ways that gets customers excited about our brand and that they leave having had a fufilling shopping experience. I have learned so much about the visual aspect of the store and how much potential I have to keep being a productive respective manager.
Pros
Discount on product. Fun, fashionable work environment.
Cons
Low pay for the work I put in. No breaks for long shifts.
Great Learning Experience
Men's Associate Buyer (Current Employee) –  Berlin, MDJuly 9, 2013
South Moon has given me a chance to perfect my buying skills. I have a much better understanding of selecting product and building a matrix. My knowledge of the financials and planning behind buying has improved greatly. At this point in my career with South Moon I implement my own planning and can modify or add classes to build my business. It is a great work environment and I enjoy working with the merchandising team.
Friendly workplace
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDAugust 5, 2015
Easy going Fun And Live. Always smiling and laughing with the customers and also with the employees. Always made sure the customers where comfortable with our opinion to try on different style of clothing that we have in the store. Gained personal shoppers and they loved my creative styling but made sure I matched their personalities.
On and off position during highschool and college.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDApril 18, 2012
I enjoyed working here throughout my high school and college days. It helped me to learn the importance of time management. I would work full time but also had to make sure to keep my grades up. Worked as a stylist for customers. After high school graduation I was promoted to Assistant Manager.
Extremely fake coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJAugust 5, 2014
Very superficial workers/managers. hard to enjoy your job with people looking down upon you. Mixed Clientele, some rude, some nice. Very short breaks and little hours to spare, but continuously hired new workers.
Cons
Short breaks, unfair treatment
Beautiful place to work
Fashion Consultant (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJJune 21, 2015
The store is trendy and carries quality items! I get to help clients feel beautiful and confident.I work one on one to find everyone the perfect item
Successful Retail Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 7, 2012
My short time at South Moon Under was a fantastic way to introduce myself to the retail world. My love of fashion and upcoming trends helped me gain a better knowledge of the retail environment.
Productive company
Ecommerce Team Member (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJanuary 17, 2015
Very nice company to work for, and headed towards a very successful future.
Productive and fun work place
Marketing Department Intern (Current Employee) –  Berlin, MDOctober 7, 2014
A typical day consists of me tweeting, blogging, pinning and styling outfits for Instagram.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Moon Under. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6