SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE Employee Reviews in United States

My job at SPC
Assistant (Former Employee) –  SOUTH, 1401 COLLEGE AVE, LEVELLAND, TX 79336May 16, 2016
A typical day I would work and go to school all in the same day I would put four hours of work and then the rest of the day go to class and then go back to work. My co- workers and the students I worked with were excellent and very respectful. My advisor who I was assistant for was very helpful and expected more out of me because he knew what I could do. I learned to fix technical problems and responsibility, to make sure to get things done and in a certain way.
Pros
Friendships, learned many new things to do with my degree.
Learning experience, meeting new people
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXMarch 16, 2016
Enjoyed working with the people. Very friendly and easy to get along with. Computer, filing, copier and calculator skills.
Pros
Lunch with my co-workers, creative events
Great benifits
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 9, 2015
Good place to work no advancement free insurance for the whole family. No advancement on the up side great hours and time off during the holidays.
Pros
Insurance for family - free
Cons
no advancement
Productive and great learning experience
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXNovember 15, 2015
Fun work workplace and supportive management. They were really concerned about my future and gave great advice. I learned to work with excel and answer phones properly.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
couldn't exceed over 19hrs a week
South Plains College is a wonderful place to work. There is always a sense of family with coworkers.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Plainview, TexasApril 7, 2015
I am usually the first to arrive and I will unlock the building and open the office to get it ready for the day. I respond to any emails received over night. I will see students daily for various reasons: retention, absences, discipline, and degree planning.I meet with prospective students with information on how to start their coursework at South Plains College. I visit with the tutors about concerns and extra training on how to handle needy students. I manage the time clock for the student workers, security officers and tutors. I work with an amazing group of people in my office. The hardest part of my job is getting the students to the point where they take responsibility for their actions and their coursework. It is very difficult to get the parents to encourage their adult child to take responsibility and to explain to the parent that the students are protected by FERPA even if parents are financially responsible.
Pros
good benefits, supportive administration
Cons
my position has no room for advancement; pay raises are across the board
IT Intern position
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 24, 2015
I gained invaluable education, experience, and work ethic with this position. It allowed me to further my education as well. I learned many facets of the IT industry. I enjoyed working with all of my mentors and educators.
Productive and rewarding work environment.
English Tutor (Current Employee) –  Levelland, TXJanuary 12, 2015
For me, a typical day working at the college would ultimately revolve around my sole duty, which is to tutor all of the education majors in writing and grammar. I learned how to work with students from any and all backgrounds, especially when it came to helping those who didn't have much experience learning how to write at a college level.

In regards to management and my coworkers, we all make it a point to contribute to the success of the education department at the college in one way or another. Most of my coworkers are tutors as well while others take on the duties involved with being scholarly assistants. My boss consistently looks out for her employees and students alike. Although she has several responsibilities within the education department, she continues to display remarkable control and organization, which are both vital to the success of the AAT program at the college.

The hardest part of my job generally involves assessing what level each student is at in regards to their writing capabilities. Once I've established who needs help with what, I do my best to work with students individually so as to help enhance their knowledge, improve their writing skills and prepare them for the next step in their academic career.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I'm able to witness the change in each student's writing as they progress throughout the semester. It is beyond gratifying to be in a position that allows me to make a difference in someone's life, be it in regards to their education or otherwise.
Fun place to work
WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  LUBBOCK, TXJune 17, 2014
Enjoyed working with new students and setting up classes specially for continuing education
Ok place
Secretary Work (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXApril 14, 2014
The work was easy. Depending on what office you worked for the people were nice. They were organized, and worked efficiently.
I love South Plains College
Welding Instructor (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXApril 8, 2014
In my time as an instructor, I was able to not only acquire many of the skills necessary to my career in teaching, but also to hone my own skills in my content area (Agriculture). South Plains College is a great environment for students as well as workers, and I am truly proud that I had the chance to teach there.
Great place to be a student.
Student Computer Lab Worker (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXMarch 23, 2014
The only task I was required to perform in this position was to monitor students in the computer lab.
Pros
quiet
Cons
boring
work study position learned the value of customer service
Personal Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXSeptember 13, 2013
assistant to financial advisor. basic filing, typing, reconcillliation of financial records, helped students with applications, probation and suspensions, mail clerk.
academic excellence
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXSeptember 6, 2013
I was employed while attending and that afforded me the opportunity se both sides of the college. Students were instructed in the vocational areas to obtain employment after graduation. The hiring rate was very good. I enjoyed learning and teaching at S.P.C.
Fun experieced- life away from home for College kids
Hall Director (Current Employee) –  Levelland, TXJune 20, 2013
A typical day at work is opening doors for college kids that have locked themselves out, nursing the kids when they have gotten hurt, mentoring tot he kids when they are over whelmed with the college life. repeatedly encouraging kids about the importance of getting an education, teaching them responsibility away from mom and dad. As a hall director I was active with the college kids in supporting them with fun activities, playing pool, cards, watching movies all of w3hat dorm life is about...
Pros
with this job we lived on campus and we are provided a meal plan
Cons
24-7 as a hall director you have a never ending job
It is a fun and encouraging work enviroment .
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 13, 2013
I enjoy my work and the staff that I work with on a daily bais. I have learned a great skill and I look forward to building my experince and skill to a new level.
Pros
the staff is fexiable with working around your daily life when possible.
Cons
the oppertunity for advancement is not there.
Provided me with hands on experience
Scholar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Littlefield, TXApril 27, 2013
got to use lots of high end state of the art equiptment, and was taught how to use it properly.
Customer is always right
Work Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 24, 2013
answered inbound calls for various companies, learned different programs, helped customers with any problems, management could be a little better about giving people more chances. Co-workers were great meet a lot of different people.
South Plains College
Accounting Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Levelland, TXMay 30, 2012
I have worked at SPC for 5 yrs, the benefits are wonderful, they pay for your insurance and all the time off is great.
Pros
off for spring break, 2 wks off for christmas and so on.
Cons
hard to advance.
Fun and Easy
Wrok Study (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TxMay 10, 2012
It was great working where i went to school. I didn't have to go far at all. I would get out of class and go right to my desk.

4.4