SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE Employee Reviews

relaxed atmosphere for learning
Nurse Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 3, 2017
SPC is a great community of educators who genuinely want students to succeed. SPC also has a reputation in the community of graduating very competent and caring nurses.
CADD Operator-Maintenance Department (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXApril 25, 2017
I was a student and was working part time. I found South Plains College to be a place to enrich your life through education. They will definitely work with your home and work life schedule.
SPC excels
Tenured Associate Professor of Sociology (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXJanuary 3, 2017
For the most part, each academic department is run differently depending on the department chair person. Faculty usually have autonomy to manage their classes and workload.
Pros
Excellent family paid health insurance.
Cons
The state of Texas now has considerable influence on funding and therefore assessments.
Work Study Student
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Management was excellent in the department where I worked. Also allowed flexible hours. Co-workers also treated you like family. It was a pleasant atmosphere.
Pros
flexible hours with college classes
Spc
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXAugust 15, 2016
Super relaxed, staff is very helpful, very flexible with work hours. Supervisor was great. if I ever had any questions there was always someone available to answer.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
no pay
Great work atmosphere!
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Levelland, TXAugust 12, 2016
Co-workers are great team players! Learning to be an instructor was easy with the knowledge and experience of the mentors. I enjoy teaching the students and am most excited when I see the effects of my teaching in their eyes and on their faces.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
This job was so much fun
Dorm Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXJuly 31, 2016
My first semester I signed up for this position and it paid for my room and board as well as an additional paycheck quarterly. I got to know my fellow students and put together functions for the college it was very neat!
Pros
Work was on site, room and board
Cons
Not very challenging
good job for someone interested in taking additional classes for degree
Lieutenant/ASSISTANT CHIEF OF POLICE (Current Employee) –  Levelland, TXJuly 29, 2016
Fairly boring as far as law enforcement goes. Probably the same description as a School Resource Officer. Low pay, but lots of paid time off, especially at Christmas/Thanksgiving.
Pros
paid time off, insurance, retirement
Cons
low pay, "on call" time, vacation only available during summer
Great job with great people.
Head Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXMay 24, 2016
This job demands much of your time, however, the relationships built are awesome. The resident advisors have plenty on their plate including being put in charge of planning many of the programs put on.
My job at SPC
Assistant (Former Employee) –  SOUTH, 1401 COLLEGE AVE, LEVELLAND, TX 79336May 16, 2016
A typical day I would work and go to school all in the same day I would put four hours of work and then the rest of the day go to class and then go back to work. My co- workers and the students I worked with were excellent and very respectful. My advisor who I was assistant for was very helpful and expected more out of me because he knew what I could do. I learned to fix technical problems and responsibility, to make sure to get things done and in a certain way.
Pros
Friendships, learned many new things to do with my degree.
Learning experience, meeting new people
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXMarch 16, 2016
Enjoyed working with the people. Very friendly and easy to get along with. Computer, filing, copier and calculator skills.
Pros
Lunch with my co-workers, creative events
Great benifits
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 9, 2015
Good place to work no advancement free insurance for the whole family. No advancement on the up side great hours and time off during the holidays.
Pros
Insurance for family - free
Cons
no advancement
Productive and great learning experience
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXNovember 15, 2015
Fun work workplace and supportive management. They were really concerned about my future and gave great advice. I learned to work with excel and answer phones properly.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
couldn't exceed over 19hrs a week
South Plains College is a wonderful place to work. There is always a sense of family with coworkers.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Plainview, TexasApril 7, 2015
I am usually the first to arrive and I will unlock the building and open the office to get it ready for the day. I respond to any emails received over night. I will see students daily for various reasons: retention, absences, discipline, and degree planning.I meet with prospective students with information on how to start their coursework at South Plains College. I visit with the tutors about concerns and extra training on how to handle needy students. I manage the time clock for the student workers, security officers and tutors. I work with an amazing group of people in my office. The hardest part of my job is getting the students to the point where they take responsibility for their actions and their coursework. It is very difficult to get the parents to encourage their adult child to take responsibility and to explain to the parent that the students are protected by FERPA even if parents are financially responsible.
Pros
good benefits, supportive administration
Cons
my position has no room for advancement; pay raises are across the board
IT Intern position
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 24, 2015
I gained invaluable education, experience, and work ethic with this position. It allowed me to further my education as well. I learned many facets of the IT industry. I enjoyed working with all of my mentors and educators.
Productive and rewarding work environment.
English Tutor (Current Employee) –  Levelland, TXJanuary 12, 2015
For me, a typical day working at the college would ultimately revolve around my sole duty, which is to tutor all of the education majors in writing and grammar. I learned how to work with students from any and all backgrounds, especially when it came to helping those who didn't have much experience learning how to write at a college level.

In regards to management and my coworkers, we all make it a point to contribute to the success of the education department at the college in one way or another. Most of my coworkers are tutors as well while others take on the duties involved with being scholarly assistants. My boss consistently looks out for her employees and students alike. Although she has several responsibilities within the education department, she continues to display remarkable control and organization, which are both vital to the success of the AAT program at the college.

The hardest part of my job generally involves assessing what level each student is at in regards to their writing capabilities. Once I've established who needs help with what, I do my best to work with students individually so as to help enhance their knowledge, improve their writing skills and prepare them for the next step in their academic career.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I'm able to witness the change in each student's writing as they progress throughout the semester. It is beyond gratifying to be in a position that allows me to make a difference in someone's life, be it in regards to their education or otherwise.
Fun place to work
WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  LUBBOCK, TXJune 17, 2014
Enjoyed working with new students and setting up classes specially for continuing education
Ok place
Secretary Work (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXApril 14, 2014
The work was easy. Depending on what office you worked for the people were nice. They were organized, and worked efficiently.
I love South Plains College
Welding Instructor (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXApril 8, 2014
In my time as an instructor, I was able to not only acquire many of the skills necessary to my career in teaching, but also to hone my own skills in my content area (Agriculture). South Plains College is a great environment for students as well as workers, and I am truly proud that I had the chance to teach there.
Great place to be a student.
Student Computer Lab Worker (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXMarch 23, 2014
The only task I was required to perform in this position was to monitor students in the computer lab.
Pros
Quiet
Cons
Boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3