South Shore Hospital

South Shore Hospital Employee Reviews

Magnet Hospital Growth Opportunities Diverse patient population
Team Leader/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAAugust 7, 2014
Arranging home visits, attending meetings, triage add on patients, complete administrative duties relating to case management. Provide support, information as needed to team members. Cover for Nursing Supervisors when ever needed. Complete 6 home visits and computer documentation completed by 10 pm.
Work with manager to identify complicated cases and make changes to POC to promote discharge. Work with manager to identify areas of individual staff development needs.
Respond to pages and emergency visits as needed.
I learned Community Nursing and case management rooted in evidence based practice. I was trained for role of nursing supervisor. I learned triage skills, flexibility, and perseverance !
My co-workers represented four generations of nurses and supportive staff. Many dedicated, strong, devoted and talented staff to be surrounded by daily. My co workers also came from all around the world, affording special insight into other cultures.
The hardest part of the job was the new shift rotation requirements implemented to attract Partners for merger and to provide better access to care for our patients. I believe this change greatly effected staff moral and both consumer/nurse satisfaction. This created barriers to case managers being able to provide seamless care plans with continuity being lost despite a team approach. We also lost benefit time that was hard earned during the courting of Partners.
The best part of my day was spending time with my patients. Nothing compares to the feeling of giving comfort and care to people in their homes. I enjoyed the challenge of each
  more... new case. I enjoyed never giving up on medically complex patients. It was a joy to see my teaching of patient and caregivers can reduce re-hospitalizations and lead to a better quality of life.  less
Pros
supportive environment educational opportunities
Cons
rotating shift requirements for full time case managers
Really great place to work
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MAApril 29, 2015
We usually start with calling down the In- house patients and try to get them done as we receive E.D. patients. We cover lunch shifts starting at 11:30 Doing Portable chests where ever needed After lunch more of the same. I've learned to get along with my co-workers and that you never stop learning and to just go with what ever changes get implemented. Management is ok they work well with me always asking if I can do a schedule change and or asking for help. I always try to help or change the schedule when they ask because they help me too. My co-workers are great, they always pitch in when needed and we work well together. The hardest part for me is to see some one who is dying or who has passed (especially if they are young) and also to see someone who is suffering or having a difficult time. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you know you helped someone and they appreciate it whether it's a patient or a physician or nurse.
Pros
Great Place to work
Cons
Parking off site
Unit coordinator
Unit Coordinator-Secretary (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAAugust 17, 2012
This job was a secretarial job. It was high pace and demanding. I like the responsibility. It put a lot of demand on you as a person to coordinate and supply all the needs of the floor, nurses and doctors.I believe I learned compassion to a new level at this job. Many people who are hospitalized are going thu traumatic things in that time of there life. You realize what you have to be grateful and also help. The management and co-workers were wonderful also compassionate people. The hardest part of the job is when the hospital had over packed er and you would have to stay 2 or more hours until your floor and all patients were stable. A lot of the time it was with out pay. The most enjoyable it the self satisfaction of going home and feeling like you helped someones life in a small way.
Pros
fast pace giving enviroment
Cons
not being able to read doctors penmanship and waiting for them to get back to you for an answer.
Very "team oriented" hospital
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MADecember 9, 2014
I am a day/night rotation on a Geriatric floor at the hospital. I come in get rounds on the 35 bed floor. Its normally me and another girl sometimes 3. We do incontinent care , daily weight, Foley Catheter care and cbg's. All of my co-workers are great. The nurses are wonderful always there when you need them. The hardest part about my job "I think" is not being able to literally put myself in the shoes of someone with dementia or someone who just cant do alot of things on there own. I can say i understand or can relate but i cant. What i enjoy the most of have been a cna for 8 years is just being able to help someone do something that they cant do.
Pros
we do alot of holiday things such as dress up for patrots red sox or bruins openeing season.
Cons
sometimes being short staff
Fun
CNA (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAOctober 13, 2013
While working at South Shore Hospital Emergency Room, I was attending school to attain my RN. I worked with patients who were acutely ill and advanced my training to work with children in the Pediatric ED. I found my love for pediatrics while here.

While working here, I also found my work family. I spent my day stocking and readying for the 12 hours of busy patient care. I truly loved working with the clientele and enjoyed helping children through difficult procedures. This is where I found that no matter how difficult it might be to comfort children and how at the time they could be very scared, and at first be afraid of you, when it was all over they would turn around and give you a big hug! There was nothing more rewarding than that in my mind.
Pros
co-workers were like family
Professional workplace environment with many different people to meet each day.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MANovember 9, 2012
My typical day working for South Shore Hospital consisted of arriving in the office prepping my cart for the morning of drawing blood. I would load my patient requisitions onto my hand held device. Once the requisitions were ready and loaded into the hand held I would proceed to my first patient of the day. Once with the patient I would first identify myself then notify the patient of my intentions. Then I would verify the patients identity by asking the patient for their name and date of birth and scanning their ID band with my handheld. Once the patients identity was verified I could begin the proper procedure for venipuncture.
Striving to be the best health care in the community and acheiving it
ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  South Weymouth, MANovember 9, 2012
Upper management is creating an enviroment to keep all the employees engaged and involved in delivering the best health care to the community. Also great at being goal oriented for the future of health care.

Taking steps to prepare for what is ahead with cuts to Medicare and who knows what is going to happen with Obama care and the health care industry as a whole.

Accounting, payroll and accounts payable workers are great. Work together as a team to get things done. Good group of people.
Pros
satisfactory pay and benefits. great cafeteria food.
Cons
not a flexible schedule. no option to work at home when job permits.
Communication
Patient Information (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJanuary 5, 2016
I've been working here for about 6 months and interpersonal communication between employee and manager is awful. The job itself is good, I do Patient Information and I enjoy helping the patients and families get to where they need to go. My coworkers are great as well, but my manager will not discuss career opportunities nor will she tell me how to go about career exploration in the right manner at SSH. She means well it seems, but she is very cut and dry and kind of treats you like a child.
Pros
Learning new skills and keeping busy
Cons
Interpersonal communication is bad, advancement is slim and discussion about career exploration is not widely discussed
Typical nursing assistant job
Orthopedic Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MassachusettsSeptember 20, 2013
A typical day on the orthopedic floor consisted of a lot of hard work. The day started with getting all patients who've had total joint replacements out of bed for breakfast. Meanwhile, washing patients who were unable to care for themselves. Keeping in communication with the nurses and PT/OT staff. My co-workers made the job fun. Everyone seemed to get along well. The manager is very kind and understanding and tries his best to accommodate the needs of his staff.
Pros
worked around my school schedule, co-workers were fun to work with, cafeteria serves good food
Cons
lots of heavy lifting, work could get tiring and wear you out
Best Job Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Weymouth, MAJanuary 7, 2013
I loved working for my department at South Shore Hospital. The work day offered a variety of tasks, and lots of change as technology often brings to a company. My manager and co-workers were very friendly, and easy to work with. This often made my schedule flexible if I needed it to be. I learned a lot about medical terminology and various departments within the hospital and a healthcare system I may never have known without the position. It was regrettable for me to have to resign from my position as I had to return to my hometown in another state.
Pros
flexible schedule, fantastic manager
Cons
only part-time position available
3rd Party Insurance Biller (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MANovember 15, 2012
South Shore Hospital is a great place to work.
In a typical day I make sure all out going claims contain correct information and bill out to insurance carrier. I make sure cash is posted to the appropriate account and obtain referrals and authorizations and appeal denied claims as needed.
I work with a great group of co workers. The hardest part of the position would be getting all the required work completed in an 8 hour day. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the challenges while working with a great group of managers and coworkers. and various other hospital departments.
Collegial, positive environment
Psychiatric Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MAAugust 14, 2015
I work the evening shift from 3:00PM TO 11:30PM. Everyone is willing to help each other out and there is a lot of support from management. We are the busiest emergency room of any of the hospitals that are on the South Shore from Boston. I am the only social worker on in the emergency room during these hours. This is sometimes challenging and requires good time management. I appreciate that my manager is usually available by phone during these off hours if I have any questions.
Pros
Good benefits, support team
Cons
Space issues, to meet privately with patients and family
Duties of a CPHT
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MANovember 6, 2014
I worked in a fast-passed hospital environment providing patient care. Duties included but not limited to filling doctor’s prescription requests, making IV per specified requirements, assisting pharmacy needs in the operating room, and inventory control. I also took nurses phone orders to serve patient needs. I fixed Pyxis machines that would constantly break down. I would go to stations throughout the hospital to fix these machines.
Pros
free dinners on holidays and overtime when u wanted
Cons
managment was not the greatest
Financial Counselor
Financial Counselor/Precertification Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Weymouth, MassachusettsNovember 1, 2014
This was one of the best jobs I ever had. I was in charge of the insurance for all surgical patients, both scheduled and emergent. I learned so much at this job. The Management there was respectful and fair. The hardest part was when patients were upset over money they may owe. Every single day there was enjoyable as we worked as a team, from the administrative end to nursing. We were all one and considered one by all.
Pros
i loved everyone that i worked with...i just loved my job
Cons
i can't really think of any
Great place to work, love the people i work with.
Diet Aide Specialist (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJuly 26, 2015
Love SSH its a great team oriented job.

-Typical day is preparing food for patients and getting ready for the lunch rush hour.
-Communication skills and dealing with large numbers of crowds.
-Management is great always willing to lend a helping hand and show you how to have a productive day..
-Coworkers are great especially with new people ready to teach them the ropes.
-Hardest part is being on your feet all day.
-Most enjoyable is feeling as though you made the patients day.
It's a good place to get experience as a new grad.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Telemetry unitApril 2, 2015
Working on the telemetry floor, you have any-where from 4-8 patients to take care of. You are over-whelmed most of the time, the CNA's don't take vitals or accu-checks. The only thing that is good is that you learn quite a bit as a new grad. The hardest part of the job is, there is no team work, your basically on your own and the physicians do not care for their patients like they should. The only enjoyable part of the day is when it is time to go home.
Pros
Cons
short breaks, no team work.
learned a lot, some frustrating barriers present but still a great place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJanuary 1, 2014
worked for this organization for several years, only left because i moved out of state. enjoyed my time there and learned a great deal. some of the staff are cynical and frustrated but management seems to be moving in the right direction. i'd want to work here again in the future if i ever return to MA.
Pros
good salary, lots of opportunities for training and growth
Cons
a sometimes hostile work environment due to certain staff
Hard, stressful job but full of rewarding experiences
Pre-Certification Specialist (Current Employee) –  South WeymouthSeptember 9, 2012
My co-workers and I are a hard working team that work at a very fast pace to keep the patients and hospital working as one with each other without disruptions in care. It can be a very rewarding job knowing that the patients are getting the best care that can be provided to them in time of great stress in their lives.
Pros
helping patients, great benefits
Cons
heavy workload, understaffed
productive family oriented workplace
Administrative Secretary/Data Entry Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLMarch 5, 2014
This was a great job with great people. Interacting with nurses, doctors, patients, families etc. is a great feeling. Just letting people know that you care about them & what they are going through. At this hospital we were family. I hated the day the hospital closed down. It was great
Pros
great work environment, great people, compensations, bonuses
Cons
negative people
Staff with great hearts trying to do great things. Held back by management.
Laboratory (Former Employee) –  WeymouthMay 28, 2015
Pretty and shiny on the outside. Far less so on the inside. Managers are not supportive, encouraging, or involved. Team flounders trying to do the best it can for patients with uninvolved/uninformed management.
Pros
Having a positive effect on patient outcome.
Cons
Lack of manager involvement.