South Shore Mental Health Employee Reviews

It's a good job for starting out in the field
Residential Rehabilitation Educator (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 18, 2016
Management poor, pay is worst I've seen in the field, 3-11 hours are no fun but that's what you get for working residential and just starting off in your career! The job was easy, residents mainly kept to themselves. Overall out of the two houses I worked at, some staff were good but a lot were lazy and unhappy. Did seem to be some room for advancement which is a plus if you actually liked the company. All in all not a well kept company.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Pay, upper management disorganized
Not a great place
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 17, 2016
Very unsafe and unclean work area. Old Facility. No pay raises. High turnover rate. omitting certain narcotics from count. Not disposing of narcotics in a timely fashion.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
dinner from same place...every.. single... night
Great for entry level
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 11, 2016
This job is very flexible and is great for parent, newly graduates and those who are looking for part time position. If you are experienced in the field and can work independently, this is a plus.
Pros
Provides funds to clients in need
Cons
Entry level
The Comm of Ma is a great place to work
House/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 25, 2012
WDC was an excellent place to work. You have to be the type of person that enjoys working with large numbers of handicapped people with mental and physical disabilities. From youths to aged. I loved the relationships built between patient and care giver. To see a smile on someones face that you put there and having improved someones quality of life, simply because you came into it. No greater reward. Working with dedicated individuals as did I makes your job so much easier and rewarding.
Hardest part of the job were the days when things got out of control, dealing with behaviors, staffing issues, unusual program changes.
Being part of the change in the world can start through the smallest smiles and the biggest laughs. Quality of life is the key. Not quanity.
Pros
set working hours, job security and benefits, wonderful people to work with and patients.
Cons
occasional mandated overtime, budget cuts, behavioral issues.
Great work place
Clinician- In Home Therapist (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAJanuary 30, 2016
I love the management and coworkers, great work atmosphere. Lots of trainings and awesome support system not only from upper management but also from coworkers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Fee for service
Stepping stone
Caseworker/clinician (Current Employee) –  Quincy MAAugust 10, 2015
A) the building is disgusting. It is depressing, outdated, and dirty. Being a building that houses mental health treatment, it shouldn't be so dim and depressing.
B)The pay is not at all competitive, no raises within the 3 years working there, other than a cost of living raise due to the government giving more money to the mental health fund. Received a bonus 1x but this was small and taxed heavily.
C) Management is all very interconnected, they all hang out socially outside of work, and are clicky when in work, there is really no one to discuss issues with other employees or management with as all of this information is not held confident, and is discussed over beers at the bar later that night.
D)The work environment is hellish. When I was working in one of the departments, the heat wouldn't work in the winter, temperatures would drop as low as 58 degrees, and DMH maintenance told me to dress warmer, and it could be worse, I could be outside plowing/shoveling. He also tried to state that we cannot feel the heat coming out of the vents and perceive it to be cold because our body temperatures are 98 degrees but the heat is 70, therefore it will feel cooler... There were 11 of us crammed in one office that used to be the "library" when it was a mental hospital. All sharing a counter space make shifted into desks. Oh, and in the summer, it reached temperatures of 98 on a regular basis, the caseworkers would sit in their cars to make client phone calls. Picture 11 women, all sitting in one small room on a 98 degree day, with poor management and supervision, it wasn't pretty.
  more...
E) Favoritism plays a large role in how easy or difficult your job is going to be. It is rather obvious who is well liked, and who spoke out too much. People who are favored are allowed to call out more often, not pick up shifts, and pick which cases they will and will not see in many different departments. If management likes you, you will enjoy your time at SSMH, if they don't, they will make it very difficult for you.
F) Crazy hours. As a CBFS worker the hours range from 8-4 or 1 PM to 9 PM, this was difficult to adjust to as you worker one shift one day and might have worked the other the next day, often shifts would be longer to meet client needs, and if something came up at 8PM, you could be stuck there until 10 PM, and have to be back in the office the next day at 8am.
G) Its never fully staffed, ever. It is a revolving door for employees, especially at their location on Quincy Ave.

It has also been said that the CEO is the highest paid non profit CEO in MA, but SSMH hasn't had a pay raise and wont give pay raises!
Pros
Diverse client population, good work experience, some fun co workers
Cons
Poor pay, poor upper and middle management, poor supervision, no empathy, stressful job, no raises
Im fortunate to have my career as a novice begin with such a nurturing company.
Lead Registered Nurse / Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 10, 2013
Working at SSMH has been the biggest opportunity of my career. The team I work with come from different backgrounds which brings unique experiences and perspectives to their work. Career growth and development is encouraged daily. The hardest part if my job is not benefiting from seeing my client recover from chronic suffering of mental illness. The most enjoyable part of my job is establishing a working relationships and witnessing my clients look forward to having visits with me.
Pros
I receive daily endeavors
Cons
Because the clients have chronic illnesses, the reward of watching them heal are far and between.
Productive Work Place with Dependable/ Hardworking Staff
Mental Health Worker- Crisis Stabilization Unit (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 21, 2014
My current employment as a Mental Health Worker, allows me to work with a team of professionals, including nurses and clinicians, to ensure the well being and safety of our patients during a time of crisis. I work directly with our patients to make certain they are set up with aftercare appointments that are suitable to their insurance as well as their direct needs. Answering phone calls and communicating with other departments with in the facility are a part of my everyday routine. The current management on the unit is exceptional.
A Great Learning Experience into the World of Case Management and Non Profit Organizations
Residential Rehabilitation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MASeptember 7, 2015
Although it can be a demanding job, it was been rewarding to assist clients in their living environment. Managing client case loads while working with clients directly has helped me build the essential skills I will use in my future careers.
Inconsistency with policies and lack of management involvment.
Residential Rehabiliation Educator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 14, 2015
Management is hit or miss. There are great people who care here, but for the most part management can do whatever they want, leave whenever, put in as much or as little effort and not get reprimanded.
Not a very stressful job, good experience for a 1st job in the field, fun co-workers, poor upper management, poor compensation
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 2, 2013
I've been working at this company for a full year and overall, I enjoy my job. I really like my co-workers and immediate supervisors - they are very helpful, skilled at what they do, and fun to work with, as well as easy to get along with. Some days can be very stressful when there are a lot of clients coming to/from the CSU (crisis stabilization unit), though other days can be much calmer when there isn't much going on, such as weekends. This is my first job in the field and it's been a great experience for me; I feel like I've learned a lot about the mental health system. However, the upper management is very poor and they can be very inappropriately passive aggressive when they are displeased about something, which is unfortunate. There are also no opportunities for raises in one's pay rate unless he/she moves to a different position within the company, which is difficult when you only have a bachelor's degree like myself (though I am currently working towards my master's degree). The hardest part of the job is when there is little to no support from upper management on busy days when there is a significantly higher number of clients than staff, and sometimes they can be very demanding. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with a team of immediate co-workers/supervisors who are very supportive - it makes the job much easier. I was hoping that there would be potential for a raise in my rate of pay since I've been working here for a year and commute to/from work for over an hour each way, but it seems as though I will need to search elsewhere for employment  more... if I hope to advance.  less
Pros
co-workers that are fun, helpful, and skilled, discounted six flags tickets and movie tickets, not too stressful
Cons
poor upper management, no raises available at this company
Very good environment.
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAFebruary 15, 2016
Very good environment. I learned about family therapies. Coworkers help during learning process. I like to work with coworkers. Excellent environment of work.
Pros
Everything.
Cons
Community/Residential exciting place to work
LPN Community Based Flexible Support (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 6, 2013
A typical day of work would be wonderful. Most days would start off with a nurses meeting or multi-disciplinary meeting. Nurses work independently with a certain amount of number of clients in the community and residential that work on their Individualized Action Plan. Some have medical, health, wellness goals. Nurses would advocate and take clients to specialized appointments and make sure clients would follow through with medical regime. Clients would also be seen at different providers and provide information back to caseworkers. The hours in a day would vary, some days could begin at 6am due to taking clients to ECT an hour away, some days begin at 10am because there is a late appt at 4pm in Boston. Every day was different and challenging. This job was wonderful. My nurse manager was compassionate, an educator and just overall a wonderful nurse. All other team members were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was leaving to attend the LPN to RN program at Massasoit.
Pros
education, experience, co workers, benefits, mileage reinbursement
Cons
pay
Fun work place and great clients
CBFS Caseworker; Human Rights Officer (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 8, 2012
This is a great place to work, great bosses who you can relate to and interesting clients to work with. As long as you have good time management skills this is a good place to be. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the clients improve in there daily life. The bosses for caseworkers are great people with fun personalities! I love this job!
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
you must be good with time management for this job
Excellent Mental Health Experience
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MASeptember 11, 2012
Worked closely with chronically mentally ill clients whose diagnoses ranged from substance abuse to mood disorders to schizophrenia. Participated in treatment by initiating group therapy, administering medication and working with case management and prescribing team.
Pros
great peers to work with
Cons
not enough staff to cover when needed
Behavioral health organization
Residential Rehabilitation Educator (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 22, 2012
As a Residential Rehabilitaion Educator I worked with residents that have a variety of Mental Illnesses. A typical da at work includes reviewing staff notes, assisting residents with daily living skills, administering medication, implementing treatment plans, and monitoring residents emotional and physical well being.

Being a Residential Rehabilitation Educator was very rewarding. It was gratifying to know that I was able to assist and advocate for others so that they will one day be able to live independent, productive, and satisfying lives in the community. The rewards are never immediate, but the time invested is worth the progress that is made in their lives.
Very supportive environment!
Family Care Coordinator/Intern (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 31, 2012
In-home therapy has it's challenges but the work is very rewarding. People at South Shore are extremely helpful and provide outstanding clinical supervision.
Pros
hourly rates and other benefits
Cons
don't see any cons---you get what you put into the job.
Eye Opening Look On Life
Therapeutic Mentor (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 12, 2013
The people on my team are amazing. They are very supportive and help one take care of themselves. This job opens your eyes to the realitites that many families deal with on a daily basis. It allows one to help and make a difference in these families and for these children. THe hardest part of this job is having to leave work with work due to the burdens and hardships of many of the families. The best part of this job is being able to be one constistant person who people can count on in their life that can be in chaos.
Pros
Own flexiable schedule
Cons
No sick days or vacation, fee for service
No leadership!
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJune 26, 2014
For the low wage they expect way to much of the employees. You can only do so much in 8 hours.
The employees are great, but upper management haven't a clue on the work we do.
Challenging, Fulfilling and Rewarding Opportunities
Peer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 8, 2014
Working with the Mobile Crisis Intervention Team had incredible potential. Learning how the Crisis system works was an invaluable experience.

The most difficult part of this position was not being able to do more.

The most rewarding parst of this position were, as stated, that it was challenging, fulfilling and rewarding. The opportunites to be a peer
advocate were endless.
Pros
Close to home, the mobile feature of the position.
Cons
The inability to do more.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Shore Mental Health. Our community is ready to answer.

South Shore Mental Health Reviews by Location