South Shore Mental Health Employee Reviews

A horrible place to work with awful management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, RIAugust 21, 2017
They treat their employees terribly. Management is awful. I would never work there again. They have become part of lifespan now but I still wouldn't work there.
Pros
I made some good frinds
Cons
Too many to list but mainly the management
not a good place
Clinical Therapist and Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAAugust 14, 2017
There were always changes to the systems there and things were never clear. The supervision was not consistant, and office space was limited which made things very hard.
Pros
hours
Cons
location
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 27, 2017
I enjoy working there. I enjoy working with the clients. I never have a boring day at work. My co workers are great to work with. I can say I love going to work everyday.
no coment
Account Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAMay 16, 2017
no support from management no trust do not treat staff with respect very dysfunctional work place company doe not value the staff treat the like pawns in a chess game
A supportive team environment
Clinical Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAApril 23, 2017
A supportive team environment to facilitate my clinical skills. I have worked with this agency for 10 years and felt clinically supported through my job experiences. I would recommend this company to post graduate students in Counseling.
Pros
Great management team
Cons
Expensive health insurance
I'm one of the lucky ones...
clinician (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 1, 2016
I have an exceptional clinical supervisor. If it was not for this person, I would have left his job already. Compensation is ridiculous and there are no opportunities for advancement or promotion with this company. It is fee-for-service so you basically have to run yourself Into the ground if you are a single person trying to support Yourself. They do not offer much more compensation for additional licenses and certifications that you may hold. No compensation is offered (other then below state/fed minimum in terms of mileage ) for crazy wear & tear on your vehicle as you are required to use your own car. So basically you are giving them your car, and you use your own cell phone for all business calls which they compensate poorly for as well in my opinion. It's definitely tough to pay your bills if this is your only source of income. The benefits to working here are flexible hours and wonderful HR department, and as I mentioned I personally have had good luck with supervision. High turnover rate for clinicians. Clientele is straight mass health/Medicaid/welfare clients. Neighborhoods traveled to can be dicey and sketchy.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor compensation, safety is sometimes compromised, no compensation for our use of travel time. No real promotion or advancement.
It's a good job for starting out in the field
Residential Rehabilitation Educator (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 18, 2016
Management poor, pay is worst I've seen in the field, 3-11 hours are no fun but that's what you get for working residential and just starting off in your career! The job was easy, residents mainly kept to themselves. Overall out of the two houses I worked at, some staff were good but a lot were lazy and unhappy. Did seem to be some room for advancement which is a plus if you actually liked the company. All in all not a well kept company.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Pay, upper management disorganized
Great for entry level
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 11, 2016
This job is very flexible and is great for parent, newly graduates and those who are looking for part time position. If you are experienced in the field and can work independently, this is a plus.
Pros
Provides funds to clients in need
Cons
Entry level
Not a great place
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 17, 2016
Very unsafe and unclean work area. Old Facility. No pay raises. High turnover rate. omitting certain narcotics from count. Not disposing of narcotics in a timely fashion.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
dinner from same place...every.. single... night
Very good environment.
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAFebruary 15, 2016
Very good environment. I learned about family therapies. Coworkers help during learning process. I like to work with coworkers. Excellent environment of work.
Pros
Everything.
Great work place
Clinician- In Home Therapist (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAJanuary 30, 2016
I love the management and coworkers, great work atmosphere. Lots of trainings and awesome support system not only from upper management but also from coworkers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Fee for service
Inconsistency with policies and lack of management involvment.
Residential Rehabiliation Educator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 14, 2015
Management is hit or miss. There are great people who care here, but for the most part management can do whatever they want, leave whenever, put in as much or as little effort and not get reprimanded.
A Great Learning Experience into the World of Case Management and Non Profit Organizations
Residential Rehabilitation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MASeptember 7, 2015
Although it can be a demanding job, it was been rewarding to assist clients in their living environment. Managing client case loads while working with clients directly has helped me build the essential skills I will use in my future careers.
Love my coworkers
Clinician- In Home Therapist (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAAugust 25, 2015
Great organization to work for, coworkers are like family. Tey offer lots of training, great support to their staff members as well.
Stepping stone
Caseworker/clinician (Current Employee) –  Quincy MAAugust 10, 2015
A) the building is disgusting. It is depressing, outdated, and dirty. Being a building that houses mental health treatment, it shouldn't be so dim and depressing.
B)The pay is not at all competitive, no raises within the 3 years working there, other than a cost of living raise due to the government giving more money to the mental health fund. Received a bonus 1x but this was small and taxed heavily.
C) Management is all very interconnected, they all hang out socially outside of work, and are clicky when in work, there is really no one to discuss issues with other employees or management with as all of this information is not held confident, and is discussed over beers at the bar later that night.
D)The work environment is hellish. When I was working in one of the departments, the heat wouldn't work in the winter, temperatures would drop as low as 58 degrees, and DMH maintenance told me to dress warmer, and it could be worse, I could be outside plowing/shoveling. He also tried to state that we cannot feel the heat coming out of the vents and perceive it to be cold because our body temperatures are 98 degrees but the heat is 70, therefore it will feel cooler... There were 11 of us crammed in one office that used to be the "library" when it was a mental hospital. All sharing a counter space make shifted into desks. Oh, and in the summer, it reached temperatures of 98 on a regular basis, the caseworkers would sit in their cars to make client phone calls. Picture 11 women, all sitting in one small room on a 98 degree day, with poor management and supervision, it wasn't pretty.
  more...
E) Favoritism plays a large role in how easy or difficult your job is going to be. It is rather obvious who is well liked, and who spoke out too much. People who are favored are allowed to call out more often, not pick up shifts, and pick which cases they will and will not see in many different departments. If management likes you, you will enjoy your time at SSMH, if they don't, they will make it very difficult for you.
F) Crazy hours. As a CBFS worker the hours range from 8-4 or 1 PM to 9 PM, this was difficult to adjust to as you worker one shift one day and might have worked the other the next day, often shifts would be longer to meet client needs, and if something came up at 8PM, you could be stuck there until 10 PM, and have to be back in the office the next day at 8am.
G) Its never fully staffed, ever. It is a revolving door for employees, especially at their location on Quincy Ave.

It has also been said that the CEO is the highest paid non profit CEO in MA, but SSMH hasn't had a pay raise and wont give pay raises!
Pros
Diverse client population, good work experience, some fun co workers
Cons
Poor pay, poor upper and middle management, poor supervision, no empathy, stressful job, no raises
Productive Work Place with Dependable/ Hardworking Staff
Mental Health Worker- Crisis Stabilization Unit (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 21, 2014
My current employment as a Mental Health Worker, allows me to work with a team of professionals, including nurses and clinicians, to ensure the well being and safety of our patients during a time of crisis. I work directly with our patients to make certain they are set up with aftercare appointments that are suitable to their insurance as well as their direct needs. Answering phone calls and communicating with other departments with in the facility are a part of my everyday routine. The current management on the unit is exceptional.
Entry Level Position
Residential Rehabilitation Educator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 4, 2014
This is a place where you can gain experience, especially while currently in school, or after graduating to gain some experience.
Pros
entry level experience
Cons
low pay
No leadership!
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJune 26, 2014
For the low wage they expect way to much of the employees. You can only do so much in 8 hours.
The employees are great, but upper management haven't a clue on the work we do.
Peer Mentor
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Quincy,MAJune 2, 2014
Providing mentoring services to young adults navigating the DMH system.
Challenging, Fulfilling and Rewarding Opportunities
Peer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 8, 2014
Working with the Mobile Crisis Intervention Team had incredible potential. Learning how the Crisis system works was an invaluable experience.

The most difficult part of this position was not being able to do more.

The most rewarding parst of this position were, as stated, that it was challenging, fulfilling and rewarding. The opportunites to be a peer
advocate were endless.
Pros
Close to home, the mobile feature of the position.
Cons
The inability to do more.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Shore Mental Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8