South Shore Transportation Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Good
Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Ledge, MIOctober 24, 2017
Good place to work. Good people to work for. I drove regionally but they do have some local work. Good benefits and compensation. good training program and driver trainers. Tarping and untarping helped me get into shape.
Poor trucking company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Washington Court House, OHAugust 24, 2017
If your a driver and want to run illegally because the dispatcher puts you into those situations then this is the job for you. And when your trainer tells you on your first day if dispatch throws you a curve ball just roll with it. When I heard that I should of left right then but I didn't. Then the terminal manager has you back your paper log up on your first day so you can go with the trainer at midnight and it's 4:00 pm. And put you in a bad motel with stains on the carpet and dead bugs behind the bed. There are so many driving jobs out there that are much much better than this one. Stay away!
Pros
Weekends off. Maybe
Cons
Everything else.
Great family oriented company, that cares about there drivers
Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Aliquippa, PAFebruary 17, 2017
This is a company that cares about there employees, they work with there drivers to accomodate the home life. Even though they are forced dispatch they dont make drivers go to areas that the driver is not comforatable.
They have a great pay and benifit package that puts them in the top of flatbed carriers in the tri/state area..They are a regional carrier that covers mostly Mi,Oh,Pa Md, with occasional loads going east to Ny and NJ, but most drivers are home 2 to 3 days a week and every weekend.The pay package is percentage of load and paid weekly by direct deposit.They also have an open door that lets drivers talk to management about issues that are a problem. A high percenage of the loads are pre/loaded, tarped and strapped so that the driver are dropping empty trailers and hooking up to there next delivery. They have assigned tractors and do not slip seat, and they maintain there equipement so you dont have to worry.they also let drivers keep there trucks at home if you have a safe place to park. They pay holidays that you get from day 1 and paid vacations. Out of all the companies I have worked for over the last 30 years this is one of the best they truly care about there employees. If you are looking for a place to call home check them out.
Pros
Good pay with benifis and home time
Cons
Untarping in the winter months
great home time, pay and benefits
Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington Court House, OHFebruary 17, 2017
Most loads are drop and hook preloaded and tarped
home time almost daily and all weekends
great pay and benefits

Pros
home time
Finally found a Home
Driver (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHFebruary 17, 2017
After 20 years in the trucking business...I've finally found a Home.
Pay, benefits....no weekends....Good money and great home life...I had almost given up on finding this kind of match. Driving a new truck with all the latest tech...that's gravy. Check this company out...you won't regret it.
Pros
$, Equipment, Home
Cons
I didn't find them sooner.
Would not recommend working there.
Ohio. Class A commercial driver (Former Employee) –  Medina, OHFebruary 17, 2016
Caters to only a few drivers who will work outside the legal constraints of the DOT. Good drivers are left with being sent home and/or short runs that do not generate the necessary compensation to make a decent living.
There is NO PAY for deadheading to the next pick up point or back to the terminal if they do not give you a back haul.
In closing I just want to say that I have never worked for a company that has such little regard for their drivers and their need for steady, gainful employment. It troubles me to be reviewing South Shore in such a negative connotation but I find it necessary to inform potential applicants that may consider applying there.
Pros
terminal close to home. can take truck home. .
Cons
Poor dispatch, nepotism, torn tarps catch on high loads. night deliveries that require the first 2 hours of unpaid detention

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Shore Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

South Shore Transportation Reviews by Job Title