South University Online Employee Reviews

Job Description and Job Reality Quite Contrary
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 15, 2017
This is a cold calling sales job reaching out to "interested" students who hang up on you or had no idea why they were being contacted the vast majority of the time. Naturally the company attempts to whitewash the reality of the job by claiming you are "helping students" and pretends as if sales and cold calling are not related to what you are required to do on a daily basis. The company considers having a meaningful conversation with roughly 6 out of 100 of it's total leads a resounding success. Mostly smoke and mirrors to get federal financial aid to pay in, while under constant threat of termination for not "sitting students for your start date". This company can not decide whether it is running a school, or a business, and the turnover rate is a very clear indicator of how management treats its people.

Management is largely unhelpful in regard to their training and support once out of a very meager onboarding program. Upper management has a very visible chip on their shoulder and definitely abides by a "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality as reflected in their dress code, conduct, and expectations of their teams.

Overall, the above average base pay does not compensate for the very long work days and amount of stress placed on the employee.
Pros
Good Base Pay
Cons
Literally Everything Else
Terrible workplace culture
Student Finance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 5, 2017
Terrible workplace culture
Unreasonable expectations
Questionable business practices
Medical insurance could be better
Decent enough pay
Would not recommend
Adjunct Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 2, 2017
A typical day at work include influencing others by example and making learning pleasurable. I have learned that people are unique and should be treated impartially with respect. Integrity and reliability are virtues I have based my foundation and management style upon. I believe the workplace culture should consist of performing all responsibilities expeditiously in an excellent and timely manner. the most enjoyable part of the job is empowering individuals with knowledge and understanding so that they can be productive in their communities. I enjoy working with people; therefore, there is no hardest part of the job.
great start to graduate teaching career
Assistant Professor - part time (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 28, 2017
I enjoy working for this university solely because it was flexible. However, during the first few semesters teaching, my mentors lacked a supportive relationship with adjunct faculty and I felt I was "thrown to the wolves."
unethical place to work
Student Finance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15222May 26, 2017
would not recommend this was an unethical work environment proven by lawsuits won for the same issue. I did not enjoy working here because of the reasons stated.
Pros
Cons
value enrollment numbers over qualified students
A sales job that is not called a sales job
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 3, 2017
The entire company works under a cloud of lies. It's a sales job but they won't call it a sales job. They pay you nothing and your job is always on the line. They hire kids right out of college that don't know any better. They say that their mission is to help students but it is really just about getting their federal financial aid. Do some research and you will see what I say is true.
Pros
A small paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Disorganized
FNP student (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 4, 2017
This school is great for the working person and those with families; however, they are very inconsistent and change requirements all of the time which can be difficult. They are pretty strict on 1 preceptor per rotation so that makes it hard to find someone willing to give 180 hour of their time per class.
workplace culture
Studied Healthcare Administrative Management (Former Employee) –  Pheonix, AZFebruary 13, 2017
The staff and management there are thoughtful and considerate when it comes to finding work for their employees. They usually have a lot of work for their employees.
Pros
They consider who is right for the job
Cons
Sometimes the work is way out there
Lots of phone calls
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZFebruary 6, 2017
Most of the time is spent dialing or receiving phone calls from students "interested" in school. However, many leads are quite old and not interested.
Pros
Pay
Friendly people to work with made the day brighter.
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 15, 2016
I learned to communicate with online students by telephone. The overall experience was good. The most enjoyable part of the day was talking to the students and being able to help them.
Fun Work Environment
Career Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 1, 2016
I have learned a great deal on how to overview and revise students resume to assist them in their job search once completed with their schooling.
Productive fun place to work
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 25, 2015
South University continuously provides program development opportunities for adjunct & full-time staff
A good place to gain experience
Career Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 1, 2014
-Call recent graduates and pending graduates regarding their employment status.
-Help revise resumes and coach on the job search
-Develop webinars on useful career information
Pros
Lots of PTO, holidays, and casual fridays
Cons
Not a lot of hope for the future
Extensive work online and telephone
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 6, 2014
Speaking to 200+ students through internet or phone to discuss their classes and grades. Never was in the education field before and learned a lot about the different programs. Most enjoyable part of the job was the success of the students.
Pros
free tuition
Cons
stability
Good education
Full time student (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 13, 2013
More relaxed school setting, great teachers and interaction with other students.
Fun Work Place, Hight Standards
Online Professor of IT (Current Employee) –  AnywhereJuly 12, 2013
South is an amazing company to work with, they value their employees and make it possible for us to work remotely from any location. The core values and the desires to help students achieve their goals is beyond any other company.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
healthcare for adjunts is very expensive
"Teach for us and believe the lies."
Full-Time Faculty (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 21, 2013
The management hides information from instructors, full-time faculty, and admissions. EDMC, the owner of South University, has already been sued by the government for its unethical practices. Do not think that South University has gotten better; the managers simply hide their own flaws by blaming others.
Fun place with fun employees
Student Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 28, 2012
Enjoyed my time there. Was a positive work experience that appreciates hard work/effort.
Productive workplace
Student Affairs/Career Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 11, 2012
During my time with South I have worked extensively with students in Student Financial Services, counseling and advising their next steps in regards to best use of Federal funding. My case load was up to 1000 student accounts at any time. In moving to Student Affairs I have become more involved in development and planning in regards to gainful employment regulations and work flows to make our operations more accurate, appropriate, and efficient. In both departments I was a leader and trained/mentored new employees while developing trainings to support using systems more effectively in our day to day activities (primarily used ImageNow and CampueVue systems). The hardest part of my job is not having a reach to communicate within departments, which is a downfall of this company (in my opinion) and could provide many opportunities for improved efficiencies, communication, and operations/curriculum development moving forward.
Pros
schedule, management team
Cons
environment (economic)
very busy
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 30, 2012
Working with students who are not able to attend local schools so they take online classes.
Pros
free education
Cons
very busy schedule