South University Employee Reviews in United States

Tough School
Health Science / Nursing Tutor (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 11, 2016
Excellent caring teachers. Hard work and dedication to school are critical. Connection with local hospitals are strong.
Cons
Admissions office
Horrible place to work
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 4, 2016
managers are slack. The school is a rip out. The work environment sucks. There is no room for advancement from within. They do not promote from within. They do not help students find gainful employment.
92Y
Business Management and Health & Science (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 24, 2016
Great with a proper supervisor you can achieve many things. If your a dim wit, I would hope you change job descriptions before you get your self in-trouble.
n/a
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 1, 2016
Great school to work for. Our location was closed and we were laid off. It was a joy going into work every day with such great co-workers.
Working at South University Novi
Employee (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIFebruary 21, 2016
South University-Novi was a great working environment with the prior President, unfortunately the current President lacks academic and leadership qualifications. It's embarrassing when the president of the university only has a bachelor's degree in theater when 85% of the entire staff has a Master's degree or higher. This is not the norm for colleges and universities in the state of Michigan. The fun environment that was there before has diminished significantly since the leadership has changed and many of my coworkers have been terminated for minimal reasons or have quit because of micromanagement. It's unfortunate that the students will ultimately suffer because the employees are unable to provide them proper assistance due to the negative working environment and improper leadership of the school. The tuition that has to be paid to the school for many of the programs, will not pay off for the students. The leadership only seems to be worried about getting bodies in seats, putting on a show for the students, but not ensuring that the students are getting the value for the very high tuition. It's unfortunate that the President is more worried about being liked by the students instead of ensuring that they obtain a valuable education.
Very professional...
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Royal Palm Beach, FLFebruary 7, 2016
Every time I taught there, the staff was consistently professional and great to work with. The administration and staff were student focused. Management looked out for your best interest.
Fun place to work extremely busy at times
Data entry and analytics (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIFebruary 6, 2016
As students come in the Success Center we find out what help is needed and the best person for that area will help them. Interesting to meet and talk to a wide variety people. My co-workers are outstanding and willing to pitch in when needed. Hardest of the job is understanding the wide variety of papers. Most enjoyable is working with great people.
Pros
great people
Cons
room temperture
Great!!
Associate Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIFebruary 6, 2016
Love the people and new leadership. Needs some process improvement in some area of the organization, but overall its a good place to start your career. Have the ability to learn more about the business side of the education sector.
great place to work
Nursing Tutor (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 29, 2016
I worked here as a tutor and I was very satisfied with the job. The location was great for me. Right off of Southern Blvd which feeeds intothe I-95.
fun and challenging workplace
Adjunct Chemistry Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 27, 2016
A typical work day at South University is lecturing general, organic and biochemistry to nursing major students. I have learned that different student learn in different ways, therefore, my teaching style will have to be tailored to fit each students needs. All of my supervisors and co-workers are very nice and willing to help answer any questions that I may have regarding course work and students. The hardest part of the job is trying tailor my teaching to all different age groups of students. While the most enjoyable part is advising and helping students solve problems and teaching them to take different approaches into solving a specific problem.
Excellent environment which provided me with 5+ years of professional work experience.
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 11, 2016
My position in the Admissions office at South University mainly consisted of assisting new students find the right program to enroll in, aid them in the enrollment process and ensure they had a great student experience with their college education. I learned many ways to implicate my interpersonal communication skills on a daily basis to build solid personal relationships with students to help increase South University's student body.
The management structure at South University composed of campus directors, team managers and team leaders which oversaw admissions representatives who all collaborated to help a new prospective student through the enrollment process all the way to graduation. Working with my co-workers was one of the most enjoyable parts of this position because I've always valued the importance of superb teambuilding skills, which I acquired from my college football experience.
The most enjoyable part of this job was being recognized by the student for helping them reach their educational goals and having the satisfaction of knowing you genuinely helped an individual turn a large task into a small task.
Pros
Great benefits, great environmment
Cons
Aggressive sales goals
see attached
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 11, 2016
School counselors should spend most of their time in direct service to and contact with students. School counselors' duties are focused on the overall delivery of the total program through guidance curiculum, individual student planning and responsive services. A small amount of their time is devoted to indirect services called system support. Schools should eliminate or reassign certain inappropriate program tasks, if possible, so school counselors can focus on the prevention needs of their programs.
Not a good experience
adjunct instructor (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJanuary 8, 2016
I worked as an adjunct . There is a very cliquish environment led by the supervisor who has not had a lot of experience in teaching and almost none in management. Her opinions of her staff are openly discussed in public areas and with her favorites pitting one against the other.

I was also a student at South online. Textbooks were often not available at the start of the term and then magically appeared about a week later after there was a lot of pressure to purchase them from South's own bookstore. Policies were unclear and online student resources to learn these policies were fragmented and often appeared in draft form.

The salaries for FT were good. The pay for adjunct was abysmal. The rate was the same whether the class was 2,3,4 or 5 hrs. Teachers were held liable for student behavior (eating in lass) and yet when a teacher attempted to enforce policy and the student complained, the teacher was again held liable. Not a good message to teach students .
Pros
The buildings were beautiful; some excellent, professional staff
Cons
poor adjunct pay, total emphasis on profit
Peers are great to work with!
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 31, 2015
Has potential to be a great place to work. Upper Management needs an overhaul of attitudes. Otherwise, could be a good place to work.
Great team envirnoment
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIDecember 12, 2015
A typical day at work would be assisting potential students with their financial needs. I have learned that at the end of the day we all want the same thing. A good education to lead us to a great career. The management team here is very organized and in my experience this is what every organization need. My co-workers have become my second family. The hardest part of my job is when I have a student who is unhappy with the end result of our process. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a student completes their journey.
Helpful coworkers but no room for advancement
Adjunct Instructor in English (Current Employee) –  Warrensville Heights, OHDecember 12, 2015
The people at South were helpful and great to work with. However, there is no room to advance in the company if you are an adjunct instructor (unless you have a PhD).
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
compensation, benefits
Good Pay, Thats about it
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 3, 2015
This is a numbers game. Its pure sales. they will lie to you from day one stating that they are in it to educate students, but you will learn quickly its all about numbers and hitting your plan (quota). This college is all about taking advantage of students who can not afford a for profit education. Students who would do much better at a community college. Management is all drinking the cool aid, but the employees are in fear daily of not meeting their goals. If you want to dial 200-600 people a day and have micro managing from three levels above you, if you like paranoia and second guessing yourself over each recorded call, this is the place for you.
Pros
great pay
Cons
micro management, no security, no leadership
I did what I had to do.
(EDMC), Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  15232November 20, 2015
I did what I had to do when it comes to working at EDMC. I was attracted to the idea of helping people earn a college degree, I thought it would give me the experience needed to one day work for a quality school in their admissions department to help students enroll in school. EDMC is not that experience. You are sales motivated, and you are encouraged by your managers to push "Students" into starting as early as possible. I understand the majority of schools are making a profit, but those schools have a name, and have credibility that proves jobs can be obtained. Online Education at EDMC's schools does not provide that type of name to help the advancement of a person's career. I felt like the hardest part was trying to be a counselor, but they were pushing counselors to simply get students to start. There was little council outside of figuring out what you could use to get these individuals to start a school program they intially did not look into. Warm leads, more times than not were leads from a point and click website asking if a person would look into furthering their education. Next thing you know, they were talking to us after being transfered 3 times. It was sad, and It was depressing in some cases. These were good people, and for anyone who truly wanted to go to school and get a degree. They have better options from real schools who can provide real atmospheres to make you feel like your getting a quality education.
Pros
2 days off. Sat. and Sun.
Cons
A lack of understanding what a student is.
South University Financial Aid
Finance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 11, 2015
Great colleagues, but over priced education. Too many students starting school while still in default causing more debt and no financial aid. For-Profit University model had no immediate benefit to the student for online learning. I loved helping my students who were motivated but felt bad seeing all the debt.
Pros
Self-Monitored, Own Pace
Cons
Debt of Students, Ethics, Morality
High Energy, phone sales, very numbers focused, pressure to meet expectations every day
Admissions Representative - Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 9, 2015
The for profit higher education sector is very heavily regulated and compliance required. You are on the phone 70-80% of your day and just about every call is recorded and can be evaluated. You would typically make between 150-300 outbound calls a days. The goals are to enhance student contact and place them into school with us. You need to enroll students at a high rate to stay there. My co-workers were great and the sales training very good. The hardest part is heavy rejection on a daily basis and constant pressure from management. This is only a salaried job now so that can be a drawback as well. The Department of Education will not allow bonuses or commissions on student enrollments.