South University Employee Reviews

Enrollment Counselor
Assistant Director of Admissions - Sales (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 26, 2017
Cold calling sales for school. I had a hard time working here. I was not 100% behind the sales tactics used for "selling" education. I had some good managers but overall was not impressed.
Unique Place to Teach and Thrive
Adjunct Online English Faculty (Current Employee) –  OnlineApril 20, 2017
South University is a phenomenal place to work. It provides opportunity to not only enhance students' skills, but also it ensures that faculty members remain ready for the 21st Century's global learner, which enhances academic, social, and workplace readiness. The most enjoyable part of the job is moving students from one level to another in their ability and having a supervisor who is always a click away in cyber world.
It will not survive
Admissions (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 26, 2017
EDMC who owns South University has lead the schools into a very deep financial hole.
The company says one thing but management pushes another.
The company does not seem like they are in the interest of the student but to be paid by Fed Student loans
shady and underhanded and mismanaged
Associate Registrar (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 23, 2017
Great school for nursing program avoid all other programs
get everything in writing terrible HR practices. zero HR really. Bad managers all over the building. Ego mongering.
Pros
pays well
Cons
terrible parking, zero respect
Keeping busy
Federal Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 7, 2017
working for South University, I have learned many tasked that I never done before. Being able to accomplish and master skills in the workforce make you feel confident in the real world.
Pros
Data Entry
Cons
Short Hours
Wouldn't recommend
Receptionist/Enrollment Processor (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCFebruary 27, 2017
Wouldn't recommend to anyone. Do not address problems or issues at hand. Co-workers were great, management and campus president were not.
Great entry level position or first job out of college
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 27, 2017
Very interesting workplace culture. Improved my daily time management skills. Your effort at work corresponds with your success. Frequent changes, need to be able to adapt quickly.
Very productive learning environment.
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 27, 2017
School provided a great base for learning medical assisting with very adequate locations for externship where students are able to practice in the field what was learned inside the classroom.
Great school
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 17, 2017
This school is a great place to attend for school and find yourself setting up for success. With the help faculty and staff, this school is a great place of learning.
Wonderful Place to work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 7, 2017
I really working at South University. Everyone is very supportive and the student are all eager to learn and make my day, I would tell any teacher to give this school a try, you will love it.
Pros
Everyone is helpful
Cons
This was a very stressful place to work.
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIJanuary 18, 2017
The stress levels were very high and the hours were long. There were not enough employees to get all the work done. I don't know what else to write.
Pros
The benefits and pay were very good.
Cons
Work hours were too long and atmosphere was stressful.
Hours never defined and immediate supervisor tough
University Registrar (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 17, 2017
A typical day should always include you coming in earlier than your supervisor and be ready to be put on the "hot spot." I learned that a lot of people are dishonest. The paycheck was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
crazy hours
Admission Rep
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 16, 2017
Would recruit new student for this school. The Leads are not good and the employees are very unhappy. Going above and beyond in this job are not wanted.
Great way for students to earn extra money
Federal Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 12, 2017
I was a Federal Work Study student my last year at South University. I really enjoyed it because I got to implement a lot of my ideas while working as a FWS. For example, I was able to promote a canned food as well as a clothing drive for the homeless people of Savannah and by being Vice President of our student organization I was able to participate in a fundraiser that allowed us to travel to the Supreme Court in Atlanta, GA. My co-worker was the best because we were able to collaborate on the majority of the ideas that we shared.
Pros
Worked great with my school schedule.
Cons
You will not get a career here
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 28, 2016
You will learn a little something but job security here is wavering no matter what they tell you. They pay is..eh!! Employees are expected to work hard and no rewards are given which does not motivate you to be there. They were not honest with new employees and did not tell them it was a sales position. The company has always threatened to close and has laid off tons of people and the turn over is ridiculous
Productive Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 13, 2016
This should say the same as the other review i did for them. This is an okay place to work if you are a student working on your degree. I can say that
Current Professor
Assistant Professor Nursing (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 3, 2016
I have been teaching at South for 1 year. We have a supportive program director that does not believe in micro management. The atmosphere is a great working relationship between colleagues. No place is perfect, but I do love my position here.
Pros
Love the students
Cons
Could have a better retirement plan, heavy class load
You can do better, keep looking!
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 14, 2016
Pay is decent, but nothing else about this company and parent company is worth the unavoidable amounts of anxiety and stress you will put up with from 9-6pm Monday thru Friday. Do yourself a favor and keep looking, better will certainly come along.
Great location
Assistant for Algebra I & II (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIOctober 29, 2016
I enjoyed working at South University. There were a lot of changes and budget cuts I think could have been handle differently. I think administration in Novi could be more in tune and more connected to employees. Changes were been made and I don't think they considered what was best for the students rather than the business side of things. Overall great location and some really nice tutors that were let go and business professors.
Pros
Luncheons were always nice.
Cons
Invest in what is best for students
Take caution
Asst. Prof (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIOctober 22, 2016
This is a for profit, private schol that is run by business people and not professional educators. Check the staff roster. The president in Novi has a BA in theater and the dean got her degree on line and has no experience in education!
Most students don't realize the pitfalls until it's too late. The student debt is staggering.
Run!
Pros
Frendly staff
Cons
A complete con game. Think ITT!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South University. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8