Job Title: Bessie Carmichael Community School Development Manager
Reports To: School Principal and Family Resource Center Director
Status: Part time (approximately 20 hours per week)
Start date: ASAP; open until filled
South of Market Child Care, Inc. is seeking an experienced, dynamic Development Manager to join our Family Resource Center team. The Development Manager is responsible for the identification, cultivation, and stewardship of corporate and foundation partnerships on behalf of South of Market Child Care, Inc. The Development Manager is charged with building new relationships and meeting fundraising goals in coordination with Bessie Carmichael administrators, school boards and the SOMA Family Resource Center. The Development Manager will be asked to strategically implement fundraising strategies, craft corporate proposals, write fundraising proposals and reports, and make direct solicitations. The DM will be responsible for overseeing development activities, including individual donors, major donors, grants, and on-line fundraising. The position will also leverage the existing funding with the largest foundations and corporations in San Francisco and the Bay Area, with the goal of developing Bessie Carmichael into a full service Community School.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, lead, and direct Bessie Carmichael’s development efforts including marketing, fundraising, sponsorship solicitations and grant writing.
- Utilize the City’s Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) and act as liaison to solicit donations from the Mid-Market companies including Twitter, Zendesk, One Kings Lane, etc.
- Spearhead foundation grant program including, donor relationship management and preparation of grant proposals and reports.
- Increase Bessie Carmichael’s capacity to raise funds from foundations, major donors, events, and through social media.
- Cultivate and directly solicit major individual and foundation gifts.
- Prepare and execute sponsorship solicitations for corporations, including membership and sponsorship benefits.
- Ensure that proper prospect and donor records are maintained and gifts from major corporate and foundation donors are acknowledged in a timely fashion
- Manage Fundraising Events Planning.
- Work collaboratively with the CSC Coordinator to increase visibility and enhance the reputation of Bessie Carmichael School to the broadest community of funders.
- Work closely with the SOMA FRC Director and Bessie Carmichael School Principal to create and implement annual and long-term development plans and strategies.
This is a part-time position and ideal for professionals looking to supplement their current work. Applicants must have: proven and documented experience in fund development, preferably in management positions as well as experience fundraising event planning and with planned gifts; a solid track record in foundation and corporate fundraising; solid social media as well as financial, computer, and organizational skills; superior written and oral communication skills; and experience in program evaluation. People from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Minimum bachelor's degree
- 3-5 years professional experience in fundraising for a nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated track record of securing increased financial support from foundations and corporations
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage new donors and funders. Thorough understanding of foundation and major donor fundraising, including experience working directly with donors and foundation program officers
- Knowledge of the corporate arena and understanding of corporate sponsorship activities
- Successful background writing foundation grants and fundraising proposals
- Strong writing and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including those related to fundraising, grant writing, and reporting.
- Proven ability to exercise good and independent judgment and to act tactfully
- High energy, a high degree of initiative, and a positive attitude, while maintaining flexibility, a willingness to work in teams, and attend to details. The ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously is a must.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated strategic thinking
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills
- A strong track record of working collaboratively with an enthusiastic and committed team
- Willingness and ability to travel to meetings/events as needed
Other desired characteristics:
- Some awareness of public and private delivery of family support services including mental health services.
- Knowledge of San Francisco and national philanthropic community.
South of Market Child Care is a San Francisco non-profit agency that provides quality early childhood development and family support...