Southeast Missouri State University Employee Reviews

Meeting people from around the world, dealing with diverse situation based scenarios with students and families regards to on campus housing.
Graduate Assistant, Office of Residence Life (Former Employee) –  MOJanuary 19, 2016
Securing housing contracts and making room assignments for over a 1000 students, and preparing instructional material for students to complete their assignments themselves.

Welcoming over 500 new international students during summer and winter breaks, providing housing and meal services as well as other information.

Database management, daily office work and problem solving.
Pros
Housing, Recreational and Food Services
Interesting office with many different subjects taught
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sikeston, MOJanuary 14, 2016
My immediate co-workers were wonderful. They made the job very enjoyable. I learned about higher education from the administrative side. The management was on the most part very approachable. The hardest part of the job was the bi-yearly student profile reports, which I streamlined during my time there.
Pros
Learning from faculty, students and management.
Cons
Very long drive & LOW PAY
Fun
Office of Admissions/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  MONovember 5, 2015
Good place to work at as a student recruiter. I enjoyed being able to take work outside of the office and onto school campus tours showing and teaching prospects about the university.
An effective place to work
Graduate Energy Auditor (Current Employee) –  MOOctober 20, 2015
The director of the IAC has always helped me and guided me at times when I had difficult times to understand the procedure. A very effective environment to work and learn. It always gave me a rich and rewarding experience.
Pros
Friendly employees and staff
Fun place to work
Exercise Science Intern (Former Employee) –  MOSeptember 28, 2015
Love the entire team... Very cooperative and fun people all around helping individuals with all kinds of personal training. Health promotion with different physical activities is the main criteria.
Good place to work for 27 years. Forced into retirement at end of 28 years.
Chief Engineer KRCU/KSEF (Former Employee) –  Southeast Missouri State UniversityJune 23, 2015
Started at SEMO University at age of 31. Held many technical positions over 27 years. Budget shortfall and present position I hold is being eliminated to balance budget.
With all this being said, for 27 years SEMO University has allowed me to make a living and support my family. There is a major budget short fall and I am laid off. My advice is wait a year or two to allow SEMO University to square away budget problems and then consider employment here.
Pros
Stable work for 27 years
Cons
Much is asked of employees with often little compensation.
work a lot with students
board member (Current Employee) –  cape giradeau MoMarch 5, 2015
I am a student worker there. Gives me a chance to meet new people and get involved at the same time as I go to school which is important for me
Fun place to learn responsibility
Transit Driver/Transit Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJanuary 10, 2015
Work environment was great while attending college. Always worked around your course schedule and hired from within.
Productive and nice workplace full of helpful people
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOApril 14, 2014
Cool environment, people let you know what you have to do, you set your objective and achieve them in your own fashion. Colleagues and professors are very friendly. Very nice to work in.
The most enjoyable part of my teaching job
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOFebruary 3, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my teaching job was the students. It is so nice to hear after you have taken students on a field trip into a city "I really need to get out in the world more often because there is so much to offer" or hearing other compliments.
Fun lab/field work
Insect surveyor (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MODecember 5, 2013
Easy going labratory setting with great co-workers and great manegment. Direct deposit checks and fair pay.
Pros
free lunches somedays but always good company
Cons
not long term
student worker
Greenhouse Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOOctober 11, 2013
I was a student worker at the horticulture green house on the campus of southeast. The boss is easy to get a long with and very understanding if you have something come up and need off on short notice.
Pros
the boss is nice
Cons
if you do not enjoy personal interact this job will be tough
Many growth opportunities
State - Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  MOAugust 31, 2013
I was a graduate assistant in the English Department. I loved every minute of SEMO coursework and teaching opportunities.
Pros
growth opportunities
SEMO is a great retirement job.
Clinical Supervisor of Student Teachers (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOAugust 22, 2013
We've had a tough time getting a Clinical and Field Supervisor that wants to stay in the position. They have recently hired someone who has and educational background. The Supervisor before her had no educational experience whatsoever. She was an IT person. She was very supportive but lacking the experience needed to address some of the issues.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the students and watching them learn and grow. Watching them respond in a favorable way to all suggestions given to them was a enlightening experience. The hardest part of the job is having enough hours in the day to provide the necessary coaching that our students need.

I have developed some wonderful new friends.through SEMO. I have found SEMO to be a great university for those students wanting to become a teacher.
Pros
meeting some wonderful people.
Cons
not enough hours in the day.
Coaching
Assistant Cross Country/Track Coach (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOMay 15, 2013
This was just a position that I took on as a volunteer to get some experience in the coaching world that I may be interested in pursuing in the future.
Respected institution, but very high workload
Student Photography Association Member (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOFebruary 21, 2013
I worked in the medical records portion of the Health Information Management office in the evenings and weekends while attending college full-time and also working in the HR office at Sears. While working at the hospital, I learned how to multi-task very quickly and work with very important and confidential documents.

During a typical day there, I would arrive at 3pm and maintain incoming calls for the front desk until about 5:30pm. It was very fast-paced during that time because calls had to be directed very quickly and many requests for medical records from other hospitals and doctors offices had to be sent at the same time. After 5pm, I would be the only person in the office until 11pm and had to maintain the office by myself. That consisted of organizing and filing stacks of returned charts, delivering requested charts to the patient floors, and carrying a beeper maintaining phone calls and record requests. Many doctors would come into the office to do dictations and I needed to be of assistance to them as needed. Also, reports were to be completed and filed for end of day records and for the next morning.

This job was very high in responsibility, confidentiality, workload, and stress. It was at times seemingly impossible to fulfill all duties because of the size of the hospital, but it all got done. During my time there, I gained a true sense of hard work and dedication.
Pros
gainshare bonuses
Cons
high stress
Working for the Scene shop and all of the faculty was an awe inspiring opportunity
Scenic Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJanuary 25, 2013
I must admit tearing down trees to ship them from the forest only to cut them up in little pieces and make many forms of the same product. Only to turn around and make a fake tree is not very sustainable. however, It was loads of fun.
Pros
i feel i learned a lot from the experience i only wish i could stayed on longer.
Cons
my test and quizzes fell on the same weekends as the strike calls and events.
Progressive Higher Education Institution
Supervisory Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MONovember 4, 2012
Southeast Missouri State University is a quality institution located between two major cities (St. Louis, MO & Memphis, TN.). Southeast provides plenty of opportunities for personal & professional growth.
Pros
medium sized school
Cons
lack of a culture scene for persons of color
Fun and upbeat office job
Registrar’s Office Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJuly 25, 2012
I was given files to do data entry on. I was stationed at the front desk of the office. Throughout the day I entered data into the computer system, answered phone calls, assisted students who came in with questions, and helped the professional staff with various data entries.
Pros
enjoyable work environment
Cons
dealing with difficult students

4.7