Southern Air Employee Reviews

Working with Vendors, General Contractors, Project Managers, Field Workers, etc.
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 14, 2016
I loved working with Southern Air, Inc. there was never a dull moment because each day was different. In order to be successful in the position you had to be able to read between the lines. There was never a typical day because each day the duties changed with a flip of a hat which I enjoyed. Some days I would be working with specs and vendors to obtain submittal to provide to Project Managers to review before we sent them to the Owner or General Contractor to approve. Some days my job consisted of marking up blue prints or executing Microsoft Project Schedules. I learned a lot about MEP work and BAS work. I worked with over 150 people in the office and the other 700 in the field and adapted to each personality to make it an enjoyable environment The only part I did not like abou the job was working with our IT department as they were not very pleasant or helpful and the majority of Southern Air's team felt the same way. You could call and speak with any Project Manager at Southern Air and they would tell you that I put over 100% in my work ethic.
Pros
Varied Tasks not a processed jon which
Cons
IT Advertisements having to work with IT who was not so friendly.
Small airline, family friendly environment
Human Resorces Coordinator - Employment (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYMay 17, 2016
Love the people I work with. I enjoy coming to work each and very day. Excellent training available for some departments. Great place to learn and grow.
Pros
Great opportunity for advancement in some departments
Cons
Not a lot of opportunity for advancement in some departments
family and safety null
Lead Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 4, 2016
southern air will work you to the bone and profit comes first not safety. if you want to work for a corporation that looks at you like a ant on the farm then here it is.
Pluses and minuses
Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 7, 2016
Typical day at work is pretty laid back. Just like anywhere else there are pros and cons. Seems like the cons are starting to weigh more lately.
Cons
sporadic communication, inconsistent policy decisions regarding what business HQ wants us to go after
Fast Paced Environment
Assitant Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 30, 2015
A typical day at Southern Air, Inc. involves working on various tasks; such as submittals, as-builts/record drawings, and operation and maintenance manuals. No day is ever the same which is what makes this job very interesting. There is no time to become bored and tasks can change direction in a split second which make the day go by very fast.
Pros
Changing Environment; Not a Processed Position
Cons
People who Procrastinate
GReat place
AOG Coordinater (Current Employee) –  Florence KYMarch 25, 2015
Monitor the lateral transfers from other FOBs to fill AOG parts requirements in country.

• Coordinate with logistics personnel to ensure requested movement of AOG parts is being accomplished in a timely manner.

• Work with requestors to provide current up to date status on all requests.

• Update reports and brief the parts status at the daily maintenance meeting.

• Monitor and expedite material shipments from suppliers and internal departments to ensure prompt delivery.

• Liaise to provide prompt feedback with internal customers on AOG parts status.

• Check requisitions for inbound parts and expedite as required.

• Communicate with vendors to improve AOG delivery status.

• Check in country asset availability to support maintenance requirements.

• Monitor reporting documents for unfulfilled requirements.

• Monitor all NMCS aircraft and ensure status is up to date and accurate.
Good Hard Work, Knowing You Did Something Good
Welding Superintendant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 4, 2015
Southern Air was a good job and I liked the hard work. I liked seeing what we had accomplished and I really wish this company was still in business. It was owner by an accountant who said that we could never turn a fast enough profit.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
No Benefits
former
A&P mechanic (Former Employee) –  USAJanuary 25, 2015
Doing the right thing is the right thing to do. If they dont respect you for it keep holding you head up. Your integrity will be acknowledge.
Pros
Get to travel and learn new skills
Cons
No true respect, high stress with no clear communication.
Good Company but needs some changes
Installation Helper (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 2, 2014
Company is overall good except for some management problems of staff that needs some work. Enjoyed working for them except for the none notification of layoffs.
For experience only
Lead Scheduler (Former Employee) –  norwalk, CTAugust 30, 2013
The work as a Scheduler is addicting. Every day, every moment always changing. MX, Scheduling and Dispatch work together getting these flights out again and again. As previous stated the mid-level management tam has no respect for any of the employee's creating a huge turn-over. A place for experience but not for the long haul.
Pros
great experiance
Cons
management that does not respect the staff
Worldwide Air Cargo Company
Operations Controller (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 11, 2013
A good place to gain experience but not a career company. Very high turnover rate coupled with the company's poor choice of under qualified mid level management made for a lousy working environment. Consequently they ended up losing a lot of hard working dedicated employees.
Pros
was able to obtain an faa dispathcers license
Cons
company did not value thier employees
Job Foreman (Former Employee) –  Richmond , VirginiaMarch 8, 2013
Fun place to work and the people are great work with . It was a great experience working there
Fast-paced work environment
Material Controller (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTFebruary 26, 2013
This job required quick thinking, multitasking, and high pressure at most times. Working as a material controller on the AOG desk required focus and continuous follow ups. I did learn great deal about myself and how I performed under pressure with short deadlines.

Co-workers are driven and goal oriented like myself and made tough situations a bit less tough.

Best part of the job is knowing I played a key role in getting a grounded aircraft back into the air flying and generating revenue.
Pros
fast pace. schedule gave four days off.
Cons
twelve hour duty times.
best place i ever worked.
ITE,Manager (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VADecember 19, 2012
Gave you a chance to advance, injoyed the work, and the people, but the constant changing of managment will get on ones nerves.
Pros
good people
Cons
change management to much
Productive and creative work environment
Database Associate (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTNovember 18, 2012
I assist in monthly flight crew payroll and accounting of total personnel over 200 employees. Cross referenced the crew tracking with all pay records.
Reservation Agent
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Norwalk CTSeptember 17, 2012
The hours are long, 12 hour shifts with no breaks and no lunch. The shifts are 4 days on 4 days off which is ok. Then its 3 months of nights and three months of days. The managements is all very nice but the res agents seems to view any new worker as a threat. All they do is eat and or sleep depending on what shift they are on and are not helpful at all. The training is good but then once left to the aid of your fellow workers they will not help and actually enjoy seeing you fail. They talk about opposite shifts with such harshness one wonders how they speak about you when you leave. The rest of the office staff and other desks, seem genuinely nice. It’s a shame they are not teams players but be aware as they have a huge turnover, it’s hard to get a position and keep it when you are viewed as a threat.
Pros
nice office, good location
Cons
no breaks, no lunch
Southern Air was a good working expierence
Pilot/First Officer (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTAugust 2, 2012
The work day would begin with a preflight. After a two hour preflight we would fly long trips, these trips would take you around the world. Many of our stops became rest periods and we had a chance to take in the sights. The most challenging was the radio communication. It was a great job that came to sudden end.