Southern California Edison

Southern California Edison Employee Reviews

Politics at Southern California Edison
Incident Investigation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edison, CASeptember 7, 2016
The politics at SCE were terrible. 90% of the people who works there is because who they know not what they know. Many family members who don't even know the job they are doing so they get paid for doing nothing than socializing. I did not like that and I was not one of them that is why I was laid off because it was against our Ethics and Compliance rules. That's why now the company is going downhill because they found out finally how the jobs are not getting done.
Pros
Good Benefits, great pay and bonuses.
Cons
Politics and Unethical Behaviors.
Great company but some management is questionable
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rosemead, CAAugust 12, 2016
Enjoyed working at SCE. Liked my job. Learned a great deal. If you're super fortunate, you may work with a very good manager who knows how to do their job and provides the appropriate support. However, this is not true for the entire company. In some business areas management is very weak. For example, a principal manager's professional skills may be in engineering but their management skills may be less than mediocre.
Pros
Compensation; Decent work/life balance
Cons
Changes in culture; Nepotism
Good pay. Poor management
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 6, 2016
Very poor management both local office and at the headquarters.

Enforce rules for some and not others. Only look after how much money you can make them. Don't really care too much about employees.

Lost my job weeks before my child was born leaving me with no benefits and having to pay for birth out of pocket. Wont even tell me why I lost my job and will not hire me back.

Even fought not to give me unemployment benefits. Luckily I apealed it and won.

Unless your a lineman. Don't bother working here. They take advantage of you and them dump you to the streets.
Pros
Pay and benefits are good
Cons
Stupid management and company
Among the top jobs in the industry
Armed Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Clemente, CAJune 23, 2016
A typical day at work is laid back and easy going.
I learned that nuclear energy is a valuable resource.
Management tends to work toward a safe and comfortable work environment, but business needs are always at the forefront.
Comradery and dedication are unwavering amongst co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is to overcome boredom.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the pay and benefits.
Pros
Pay/ benefits
Cons
Long hours/ job security
A great company to work for.
ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Rosemead, CAAugust 22, 2016
My current employer is a great company to work for. My day usually starts off at 4am with me sorting through customer payments before I run them through a high tech extract and imaging machine. Once all of the payments have been scanned into the system, I key all of the payment information to the customers account at a pace of 12,000 key strokes per hour. Mgmt is always supportive, as well as my co workers. We are a small department under a large organization, so we work very close together, and have a great working relationship. The hardest part of my job is not being able to do my job if the machines jam, or fail because everything has to be opened by hand, and still processed. The enjoyable part of my job is being able to work with great people.
Pros
Great co workers, weekends off, and paid holidays
Cons
outsourcing
Good if you like call centers
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Copperas Cove, TXAugust 16, 2016
It's not that bad when you're in training, but most people don't make it that long after graduation. It's very mundane and the same thing over and over again. It's good if you don't mind working at a call center. They pay pretty decently and you definitely get good hours.
Pros
good hours, good pay, good training
Cons
boring, rude customers, short breaks
Lead Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CASeptember 5, 2016
Excellent place to work for starters and a huge platform to grow.
A typical day at work includes updating the tailboard report, working on projects, interaction with manager , attending meetings, taking mandatory breaks, walking and strecthing with co workers. The most enjoyable part is having some laughs with colleagues and manager.
Very productive place to work...
Administrative Assistant/Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rosemead, CAMay 29, 2016
A typical day at work would be reaching several goals while having a heavy workload.

I've learned how to manage stress and multi-task to meet multiple deadlines.

Management priority is to make sure customer service is to benefit the customer.

The co-workers were always considerate with a caring attitude. Respect & trust was also important to each one of us.

The hardest part of the job was making sure deadlines were met daily to avoid an overflow into the next day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a good work-relationship with everyone. I enjoyed my responsibilities and always enjoyed when I received sincere commendation for my hard work.
New jobs sites that would need (upgragds or new equipment)
CAD Specialist, Ashland Integrated (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 18, 2016
I would get new Southern California Edison sites that, I would draw from scratch and include a full site plan with index a breakdown of all buildings then I would put the data on the sheets.

 Electrical (cameras, monitors, electronic locks and card readers.)
Pros
worked from home
Cons
thought that thos was going to be a lifetime job
Mechanic, Boiler (Former Employee) –  Laughlin, NVJuly 1, 2016
really enjoyed most of the time I spent working with and for them. The only thing I can think of that was not very good was the hours that we were required to put in ... but that was how the business ran and I did like the pay.
Pros
the experince I got from them
Cons
the hours .... overtime some times averaging between 600 and 800 hour 's a year
My typical work day
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rosemead, CAMay 17, 2016
My typical day at work, is very active and on the go. I answer phones as early as 3:00am. I log in all employee's work hours, monitor the work flow on the department floor. I monitor the employees as well, that work is been opened and processed in a timely manner. My management is very hands on and very informative. My co-workers are a team and stride for the best of the department.The hardest part of my job is not leaving at home. The most enjoyable is waking up the next day to be there.
Pros
I have the pleasure of been there the next day.
Cons
I can ever leave work there.it's like home.
The Edison Work Experience
Chemical Service Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAMay 17, 2016
A good and progressive company leading the industry in energy management and energy services.

Typical day at work starts with safety awareness and tips for working injury free. Days fill with meetings, activities and assignments.

Co-workers are what makes the work experience so rewarding. Working with professionals that share the same passions, vision and values as you do.

Hardest part of the job is finding solutions to very challenging and complex issues facing our industry and company.

The most enjoyable part is finding a solution to very challenging and complex issues facing our industry and company.
Despite layoffs, everyone is unproductive.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 6, 2016
If you ever wonder why your electric bills are so high, it's because Edison has little to no incentive to be efficient. The only reason the company is even CONSIDERING becoming more cost effective is due to the state considering opening the energy markets up to further competition.
Pros
After your 8 hours they tell you to go home.
Cons
Once 4:00 on Wednesday hits, good luck getting anyone to do anything.
excellent company
Maintenance Supervisor (Decommissioning) (Current Employee) –  SONGS, CASeptember 10, 2016
I have worked for SCE for 29 years. They have been very good to me. I wish I could still work for them, however the plant is being decommissioned and work is understandably being outsourced. I have pride in what I do and know. That pride will continue wherever I go.
Calm Workplace with Plenty of work to Accomplish!
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work would be clocking in on time, doing my duties, take a 30 min mandatory break, giving me the opportunity to study and work at the same time. Then hop right back into my duties until the day/shift is done.
Pros
Free food, Free Drinks
Cons
Monotonous
SCE is a huge organization.
Application Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAApril 9, 2016
Temporary and/or contract work is the norm for the majority of people working at SCE.

Not very many permanent hire opportunities for entry level positions.
Pros
Very nice atmosphere and working conditions for internal office, administratie and/or call center type work.
Cons
Short and long-term contract work could dry up rather quickly, without having completed the length term of the contract.
fast pace productive work system
Computer Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rosemead, CAJuly 12, 2016
Run Edison machines processing mail,
Edison payroll,
quality control for mailroom
2-3 man team on one machine
seeing all types of Edison electricity bills throughout California
Pros
Constantly working, shifts go by fast
Cons
Graveyard shift
Interesting and exciting environment to work in.
Administrative Aide 3 (Current Employee) –  Tulare, CASeptember 6, 2016
Working in the utility industry is a fascinating, exciting and fast past environment. I love being part of a company that provides safe and reliable power to my community.
Pros
Wonderful and dedicated people
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edison, CASeptember 5, 2016
grateful for the department and people that I work with and I have been allowed to grow in my skillsets and challenges that have come my way. Enjoy management's willingness to share knowledge of business.
Pros
environment and people
Cons
none that I can submit
Productive, enjoyable and interesting
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 5, 2016
This company understands that individuals have a life outside work. They expect you to get the job and treat you like a professional such that you will be able to get the job done. The work environment is enjoyable and professional.

4.3