SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA GAS CO Employee Reviews

Great Job
Energy Technician (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAAugust 31, 2017
I would return if I had the chance. I loved working for the gas company. it was the best Job I ever had. I left because I wanted to start my own business. In hindsight I should have stayed.
Pros
great company
Cons
Big natural gas utility to work for with many opportunities to advance within the company.
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAMarch 12, 2017
The hardest part of the job was dealing with dogs everyday. The job required me to be in a residential environment about 75% of the time and daily contact with dogs was something that could not be avoided.
Pros
The work was independantly done.
Cons
At times the customers could be uneasy.
Stable Organization
Customer Contact Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAAugust 1, 2014
I worked for Farmers for approximately 17 years. The company is very stable, but little to no work life balance.
Benefits
Cons
Work Life Balance
solid company with excellent benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJuly 10, 2014
The Gas co is a great place to work, especially when it comes to helping customers and resolving issues to their satisfaction.
Pros
good pay and excellent benefits
Cons
fastpaced mostly stressful situations
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, Ca. /South Gate, CAFebruary 20, 2014
I handled incoming calls for utility based inquiries regarding billing and field service calls.
I advanced into the High Bill desk where complaints from residential and business customers were received regarding excessive usage billing. Consumption were investigated by field personnel and when personnel presented results, I would explain and deliver these results to customers. This would assist customers to understand high gas consumption and would permit them to practice conservation tips.
I enjoyed the flexibility to work in the call center or transfer to a branch and do face to face transactions
Pros
Flexibility to work in various departments
Cons
The commute on California highways.
Great Locations with plenty of choices for lunch
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 2, 2013
Learned how to do some clerical jobs and gained experience on customer service over the phone.
Pros
Weekends off and 1 hour lunches.
Cons
Part Time Employees would work 3 days out of the week
Basic review of my job as a Planning Associate.
Planning Associate (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAOctober 21, 2012
Would get blue prints from contractor's or cities. Would review these blueprints to see if there was any convicts with The Gas Co. main lines.
Would make up and send our paperwork to the "Field", so that they would "potholes" over the gas main to see how deep it was. When I got the paperwork back I would determined if there was a conflict with the contractor/city projected job. I would go the job site to gather more information that would help me to plan the job. I would then drop by the contractor's/cities office and introduce myself with the designer of their job. After getting what I needed. I would have the sketcher's make up a basic sketch for me. After I got the basic sketch back. I would draw up the final sketch. I would then order the material, parts and special parts needed for this job, with the use of my computer. I would a times would have a order a special part I would have to contact the proper company who made the special part I needed. I would then contact USA (Underground Service Alert), permits and dispatcher, so I would know when the proposed job would get started.
I got along with all my supervisor's and co-worker's. If there were any problem I would encounter I would contact with my Lead Planning Associate or Supervisor. And from time to time I would call up on my fellow Planning Associate's for help. There were at numerous times I would ask for help from my Lead Planning Associate I wouldn't get it and this happened to often. I was very unhappy with how I was treated when I would need some "real" help and I would rarely got it.
Again I enjoyed going out
  more... to the "Field" to get some more information and going to the contractor/city engineer's about their projects. Still got great respect from these engineer's and seem started friendships.  less
Pros
going out to talk with contractors and cities about their projects.
Cons
i was not giving the respect and proper training need for the job
Productive fast paced work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Gabriel Valley, CaAugust 29, 2012
I showed up to work 1.5 hrs early to beat traffic to ensure making it on time. Prepared all the neccessary work to get started and had information on hand prior to beginning the day. I learned how to treat each customer as an individual, to be courteous, and how to calm down an angry or upset customer while providing the best customer service available. Management were a great help, implicating other ways to perfect professional communication amongst the customers. Co workers were, for the most part easy to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was the personal reward felt in being an asset to the company as well as helping a customer get a better understanding about their account, and helping them to feel comfortable and confident after their encounter with me.
Pros
occasional free lunches, the supervisors acknowledging hard work by word of mouth, a card, a certificate or something of that nature.
Cons
extremely irate or rude customers
The Company offered great opportunities to grow
Project Coordinator- Buildings & Real Estate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 29, 2012
Overall before the Merger with Sempra the company offered to grow from within with great working conditions.
benefits