SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA GAS COMPANY Employee Reviews

horrendous workplace culture
Technical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pico Rivera, CAJune 21, 2016
I worked there for 5 years and the company is a dinosaur. The only reason that they are still in business is because they don't face any competition in the marketplace. There business infrastructure is archaic at best. Due to the large number of retirements taking place, there is a huge knowledge gap in the company, and it is increasing. This has caused management to place people in positions that they don't have the skill sets for. They talk a good diversity game, but in actuality they don't even come close to practicing what they preach.
Pros
Good salary and medical benefits
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE!
Independent
Engineering Associate I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2015
My stay at the Gas company was too brief to really give a fair rating. The people were great and their work process seemed good. They strive to provide excellent service in all they do.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
low salary
Amazing Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAJune 30, 2016
This company has a great staff and creates a very awesome environment for every employee. They have each others back and are very helpful.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2015
The opportunities are available if you are diligent. The pay is excellent.
Must be willing to desire to advance to enjoy opportunities. However, if you content in the status quo, you can will be comfortable at SCG.
Company is constantly moving forward
Pros
excellent benefits and pay.
Cons
Sometime it is boring if you do not take the initiative to learn more
Decent Place to work
Senior Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2012
SO Cal Gas is a real decent place to work. Depending on what department and who you directly report to determins a lot. Overall i say it is an excellent company. It's a stable company with very minimal lay offs. So if you have a family and want something not to risky and the rewards as in compensation is very fair...this is exactly what you are looking for.

If you are in your 20ies or thirties and very driven and ambitious, your assend will determine on who your form relationships with in the company,

Overall is say i will give the company very high marks and it is a great place to work .
Lifelong experience with great leaders to help you maximize your potential.
Supervisor/Meter Reading Technician (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CA 92656October 15, 2014
Great company to work for, plenty of opportunities for growth, and experience that is hard to walk away from. Due to family obligations, I will be relocating to Chicago area, and plan on expanding my career there.
Pros
Safety oriented, great pay, benefits, collaboration, and team work.
Encouraged hard work and rewared accomplishments.
Budget/Ratecase Admin. & General Accounting Super. (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2013
Opportunities for promotions were available for those that demonstrated leadership and technical ability or potential.
Pros
Good compensation and benefits.
Cons
Subject to various market fluctuations like most large corporation.
Working at Southern California Gas Company
Technician (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 4, 2014
A fantastic place to work, great benefits, dynamic work force, business progressive.
Pros
401-k matching program, benefits, pension and job security
Cons
none if you like to work
Excellent pay and benefits with part time work
Cashier 1 (Current Employee) –  San Fernando, CAJune 19, 2013
I have worked for this company for 4 1/2 years. It is a wonderful company to work for. They offer full benefits for part time work and an excellent pay scale. I am only leaving due to relocation.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
seniority is based on hours worked not time with the company
Great job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 27, 2014
I established, transferred and terminated gas service for customers. Management was great and my co-workers were great as well.
Pros
Well paid and good benefits.
Best job I ever had....
Customer Service Rep. & Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 4, 2015
For me reading meters was the best, although menial the incentives for someone who is athletic and works hard were tremendous.

First getting paid to take a long walk was great, the best part was the engineered times for the routes, meaning that I could get 8 hours of work done in 4 (I'm good) and grab some OT 3 hour segment that could be complete in 90 minutes making my days pay for 11 hours while actually working 5.5

Hindsite is always 20/20 and in review I should have not turned down chances for advancement when they were offered, I still place a high price tag on my time and the Gas Company job provided me with 17 years of great employment.
Pros
Time management, outdoors, self supervised
Cons
Bad Weather, Dogs (got bit a few times)
Very friendly enviornment, and efficient.
Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 18, 2016
I have done landscaping due to my trade for construction as a requirement. I have learned maintaining plants, and building an organic trench.
It's all good
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAFebruary 1, 2016
If you can get promoted in the company to a full time, union position it's a great place to work in. The union has it's member's back 100% of the time, all the way.
Love working for the company
EVENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 9, 2014
Great benefits

Great compensation

Location is great

Most employees are friendly and positive
Very challenging
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  ALISO VIEJO CA.January 6, 2016
Very challenging job reading gas meters everyday was a different route lots of physical work but was able to keep up the balance. Co-workers were very helpful when I needed help in anyway.
Professional & fun environment with room for growth
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJuly 17, 2015
Answered incoming calls on a daily basis. Close guidance with superiors. Classes for promotions. Fun call-center environment. When system fails, all calls/purchase orders are handled manually (not fun). Exciting raffles, games, potlucks and company celebrations keep work fun .
Hard work though very rewarding sometimes
Meter Reader/ Construction Tech/ Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAApril 30, 2013
Depending on which location you work out of you start early at 6:30am or 7:00am. Everyday starts with a safety tip to the whole group then after 10-15 minutes you go out and get the trucks ready with supplies and water for the days work. Depending on the order that is dispatched a day can have 1 or over 10 orders. The last location I worked was a very friendly almost family type of environment. The majority of the management team also was very approachable and friendly. The hardest part of the job was when being On call for the entire week 24 hours for emergencies. This involved natural disasters and broken gas lines due to human error.
Pros
Pay, employees, locations, perks
Cons
Strict policies
Public Utility
Energy Technician Distribution (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert & Yucca Valley District, CASeptember 21, 2015
Public Natural Gas Utility providing excellent customer service to its customers.

I was a team member on the Distribution side of The Gas Company. Work included but not limited to, underground care, maintenance, design, installation and repair of Natural Gas facilities with a strong emphasis on safety and customer service.
Engaging and inclusive place to work.
Marketing Outreach - Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 20, 2013
Working for Southern California Gas as an intern immersed me in the business and gave me a taste of what jobs are looking for in employees. Co-workers and upper management always went out of their way to be as helpful as possible and show you the ropes of the business. As an intern they try to get you involved with all parts of the company, from safety, to engineering, to marketing, etc. The hardest part about the job was juggling multiple tasks at once, all from separate fields. My favorite part of the job was the priority they put on including interns in everything they can.
Challenging but rewarding!
METER READER (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 8, 2015
I loved working here, mainly because I was always in a different location every day, so that way I would be able to see and experience new areas I had never been to before.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA GAS COMPANY. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3