SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA GAS COMPANY Employee Reviews

Relaxed work environment with strong job security
Senior Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 14, 2017
SoCal Gas provides a relaxed work environment with very strong job security. I never felt any work stress here. Unfortunately, the job is so relaxed that it can become boring.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
always pays market value....
live close to work. Clean place to work in.
Temporarily freelance (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 6, 2017
Always facing new challenges. Learning every day as I work. Meet new people that are wise. Always working close with colleagues on assignments. Meeting new goals in terms of completing assignments before deadline.
Pros
close to work
Cons
need to move up the to managment.
Exceptional standards to live by.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 5, 2017
Kind.staff, teaching environmemt.Managers encourage improvement and development according to company guidelines. A great teaching environment as well as help with common telemarker issues.
Great Place to work. Room for advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2017
Started out as lowest clerk in 1989 and in 18 months became Senior Clerk in Contracts Dept.
Also transferred to San Diego for 3 years with merger of companies.
Enjoyable place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAAugust 19, 2017
Challenging workplace that kept me on my @all time with very knowledgeable staff definitely a cool place to work and learn groundskeeping and maintaining irrigation
Great company
Energy Technician - Residential (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 15, 2017
Great company, bad bosses I learned you must always keep notes of everything even conversations with supervisors. If you do your work and stay under the radar you will be fine.
Productive manufacture where everyone worked well together.
Program Assistant - Claims Department {contractor} (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2017
open e-mails where I received new orders daily verified before entering into our data base in a fast and efficient manner. Worked well with management
Pros
We all got along.
Great Company
AMI Control Center Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 26, 2017
very stable union represented jobs. many opportunities for advancement. great benefits, competitive pay, and fair treatment to all employees. by far the best company I have had the pleasure of working with.
Changing industry
Media & Employee Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2017
Going through a lot of change, but still a good company. Lots of changes in the last few years - more stressful and in some areas not very well managed - but still has a lot of good benefits and pay.
Pros
people are friendly
Cons
lots of belt tightening - more work with less people
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 13, 2017
Read gas meters, look for corrosion and rust, gas leaks. Help change gas meters. If the gas meter was change by a technician. I would log it into my hand held computer.
Gas company provides gas to all customers in California
Computer Consultant/Unix Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 12, 2017
Southern California Gas company has thousands of employees and work on many different projects. Each project itself is like a small sized company and is located in the heart of Los Angeles downtown.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Parking fee rate is pretty high for contract employees
Glorified DMV
Assistant, Pipeline Safety Enhancement Plan (PSEP) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 9, 2017
If you are not searching for a challenging career, this is the place for you. For example, most employees come in at 8AM and leave at 2PM. There is little sense of urgency and accountability.
A great career. If you can get the job, keep the job.
Lead Construction Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 5, 2017
I worked at the Bakersfield,CA branch of SCGC. All of the people there, from highest to lowest, were wonderful to work with. The only reason that I left was because I had the opportunity to move to Hawaii that I couldn't pass up, and the SCGC has no presence in Hawaii.
The SCGC is one of the few places that I've known to provide all of the training required completely in-house. An employee receives a fortune in training, and they're paid for it. I learned many mechanical skills that have carried over into my everyday life.
Pros
Great pay, medical benefits, paid vacation, paid sick leave, Union job, in-house training
Cons
Extensive overtime
Not good for career advancement
Market Advisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 1, 2017
This job is not for workaholics. I would stay away if you are planning on having a real career here. There are only meter readers and call center employees here.
great company
Associate Engineer in Pipeline Integrity (PI) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2017
The Southern California Gas Company is the primary provider of natural gas to the region of Southern California. Its headquarters are located in the Gas Company Tower in Downtown Los Angeles. Wikipedia
informative and very productive
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 17, 2017
Read gas meters for residential and commercial customers. I've learned to read meters accurately, to be very safe at performing my job and to watch my surroundings. The hardest part of the job is to deal with access to the properties and the encounters with the dogs. The most enjoyable part of the job is working outside in the beautiful environment. Management is very helpful and informative.
Pros
pay, benefits and working environment
Cons
short lunch, test taking system
A great career oppertunity
Energy Technician - Residential (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAMay 15, 2017
It has been amazing working for socal gas. They provide many opportunities to grow within the company! Amazing benifits that follow up with you and a great union.
Pros
Oppertunity to grow. Great benifits.
Loved my previous job!
Team Lead / Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2017
Although, as with all large companies a bad apple or two can impact your experience as an employee, however overall SoCalGas was an outstanding place to work. Job security was very good and salaries were fair. I would work there again, my career and experience was mostly positive.
Pros
Utilities are sometimes referred to as "Forever Jobs".
Cons
Compared to other Utilities, SoCalGas is not on the high end of salaries.
Excellent Company. Extremely employee focused
Retired as Operations Training Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rosemead, CAFebruary 24, 2017
The Gas Company was a tremendous place to work. They have tons of opportunity for advancement and outstanding benefits. They are very safety focused and care about their employees
Pros
salery, benifits, benifits
Cons
Great company going through a challenging time
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 23, 2017
There is no such thing as a typical day. Since the incident that dominated the news last year, the company has been doing a lot to re-establish its brand in the community. It is unfortunate that all of the good that the company has done has been so easily forgotten. However, it creates a wonderful opportunity to introduce necessary changes to its culture and operations. The people are wonderful and have every good intention. There is just an unspoken resistance to having many pointed conversations and trying new ways and approaches.