Southern Care Hospice Employee Reviews

Poor company to work for
Case Manager RN (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 11, 2018
Terrible company! Should have known from the high turn over rate. Training is limited. On call consists of only 3 nurses so you are on call 1/3 of the time. Benefits suck, high deductible and out of pocket expenses. Not much PTO time accrued. Make you travel to other offices to see patients. Have to do aide visits regularly. Make decent money but it’s not worth it.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Healthcare, on call, training, management, high turn over rate
Service to patients and workers
MSW (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIDecember 29, 2017
Need to overhaul the inservice process , webnairs don’t do it service to patients should come first not egos don’t follow thru on issues, excuses for bad disrespectful,behavior to teammate Job description are very incomplete IT assistant is a joke 15 to 20 waits for help They don’t follow thru / support the worker more about admission numbers will solicit anyone for a hospice patient
Pros
Chaplin support
Cons
Poor management
Virtually no orientation. No in state support short of lengthy manuals. Really? Who has time for that?
Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  IndianaDecember 26, 2017
It's a poor organization. Expectations are high but poor resources to support expectations. Unrealistic expectations. No regional/divisional support for training and prevention of errors. Treat middle managers and staff poorly. Highest level organization leaders are clueless or just don't know/care (Curo Health Care). Curo has different names in different states but word on the street is they are all losers. Curo bought up more than they could chew. This company is a loser. Don't waste your time unless you prefer short term employment.
Pros
Few
Cons
Many, mostly training and support. Who needs that in healthcare? Right? On call expectations are horrible.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INDecember 23, 2017
This is the bestest most fastasticest place to work. I would heavily recommend working here and I would also not say anything bad about this place. Everything is awesome
well run
Hospice Clinical Director (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INDecember 20, 2017
Well established medical clinic in an urban area with many sub specialty referrals available to the patient base and very well trained staff at the clinic.
Pros
location
A lot of Turnover
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Castle, PADecember 14, 2017
I have been in my current position for almost a year. In that time I have seen eleven people leave the office I am in. I have been employed here the longest. Everyone is new.

Management needs to improve, not just in the office but at the upper levels. You are given 3 weeks vacation per year, but they tell you when you can take them. Once you are out of vacation days, you may not take a day off for any reason. They do not approve any unpaid time. So if you take your vacation time and then get sick. You are told to come into work or get fired.

Management is slow to say good job, but they will point out how much more you need to do and get done. The insurance benefits are not that great.

I would think for a hopsice company, who deals with people being sick and dying, the employee insurance would provide better coverage.

I have enjoyed some of my co-workers. They fire people without any written warnings first. You come in and go home unemployed. Communication from Management is lacking.
Pros
Worked with some great and caring people
Cons
Management is too controlling of personal time and benefits are very poor.
Good Company
Master Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 11, 2017
Good company just starting to feel burnt out. easy work, good co workers, lack of personal time- tend to get called in on days off. will provide company car after a year if you meet requirements.
Tough at times
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MSDecember 9, 2017
Nice company to work for. Its a lot of wear and tear on your car but mileage is paid for. Lovely patients as well as some employees. The best part was being able to spend the weekends with my children.
Pros
No weekends
Cons
lack of clients
Company does not know Hospice and does not care to know
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WINovember 23, 2017
SouthernCare Hospice is a company within the Curo Healthcare Organization. Poorly organized, fraudulent behaviors and as an organization, threatened by experience and strong personalities. They did not survive within Southeastern Wisconsin because they had no knowledge of the WI culture or competing Hospice programs in the area. I left the company 2 months after I was hired.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
promoted and hired people who know nothing about Hospice and didn't care to know.
Sales Manager of a National Hospice Company
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXNovember 20, 2017
This was an extremely rewarding career to help families through end of life care. With that said, it could be heartbreaking at times, and eventually became an unenjoyable work environment.
Quality workplace with pleasant staff with agenda harmony
Hospice Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MINovember 5, 2017
The company provides excellent care to patients and avoids the temptation to view clients through the lens of income. It is demanding work and detail intensive but is worth the outcome of patient satisfaction for service rendered.
Flexible work schedule
PRN Nurse (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 28, 2017
Office was professional, well managed and provided a great work environment. The orientation, ongoing staff training and scheduling allowed me to work as a true per diem nurse.
Pros
Well managed, cooperative, supportive staff.
Cons
Hospice requires a certain mindset.
So thankful to be here!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Northern USAOctober 28, 2017
I've been with SouthernCare off and on for over 13 years. The only time I was gone was as a result of the Curo buy-out. My previous position had been eliminated. After two years and another company's horrendous experience, I can truly say I'm very thankful to be back "home"!
SouthernCare and Curo are large, but there is a definitive small company feel, which is welcome. Pay is great! Leadership is outstanding and understanding of day to day needs of stafff. Support staff is always available. Benefits could be less expensive but that is just how it is everywhere
What others consider as "downfalls" are similar in all hospice companies and sometimes, those with negative reviews fail to see what the real issues were.
The fact is SouthernCare/Curo provides top-notch end of life care to those in need that rival anyone.
Educational opportunities are daily, if you seek them out. Patient care always comes first but it is a business so of course numbers are a fact of life.
I can't see me ever leaving. This is a huge family atmosphere and I love it.
Pros
Family feel, Patients first, Leadership that can be trusted, pay, work-life balance
Cons
none unless you cause them yourself
Poor regional directors, who didn't give the proper tools for a person to succeed in the job.
Clinical Director (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 24, 2017
Salaries didn't correlate with the amount of hours required to care for the patients. Regional directors only cared about the numbers and not the staff or patients.
Great Place to work
Community Relations Specialist. (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 21, 2017
I love my job at Southern Care Hospice! Management is fair and caring. Time off is easy to obtain. Pay is excellent ! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I love meeting with patients and families and being able to ease the burden of end of life issues.
Pros
Great pay, great team members, company cares a lot and really does put patients and their families first.
stressful
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALOctober 18, 2017
Dealing with families facing loved ones dying is a difficult task! I have a heart of gold and became very attached to the patients as well as the families so losing a patients could be very heart breaking for me but overall I loved what I did
I would not recommend my pet to this company.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Grove Hill, ALOctober 16, 2017
This company was awful to work for their management lack compassion as well as concern for their employees. It was all about the bottom line dollar amount. Lack of service for the most money
Pros
Cons
Run as fast as you can
Good Place to work
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 23, 2017
Stressful but laid back place to work and employees worked well together. Paperwork was overwhelming at times but patients were very enjoyable and appreciative.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Paperwork
Lack of skilled leadership
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHSeptember 20, 2017
Management only looking out for the financial benefit of placing individuals on services whether they meet criteria or not. Truly scamming the system.
Pros
Only had to be in the office for meetings
Cons
constantly short on help, working long hours routinely, begging to use earned time off., Management lack people skills
Southern Care
Admissions Coordinator/Case Mgr (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GASeptember 18, 2017
Southern Care sold the office I worked to Omega Healthcare. I continued with this office after is was sold. There was a smooth transition. Southern care in this office had very few patients and I was crossed trained to do admissions, case management and sales.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
Late night hours on call