SOUTHERN CAREERS INSTITUTE Employee Reviews in United States

Unprofessional and unethical
Instructor (Current Employee) –  TXJune 4, 2016
Students are eager to learn. There is; however, a lack of moral leadership and a culture of covering up problems which leads to a high turnover in both students and staff. Students end up paying a lot and learning very little about their chosen fields.
Pros
Students
Cons
Management positions held by some who are not qualified, and have no previous experience in education.
Horrible School
Education Finance Specialist - Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 22, 2016
Unethical and Uprofessional
don't care about the employees or students
they only gossip about their staff and administration and director suck!
Pros
They have 0 to me
Cons
They Have 0 to me
A true joy to be there
Lead Pharmacy Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 27, 2015
I absolutely loved working here. The staff, students, and management all worked for a common cause which was to see the students be successful. On average I worked roughly 60 hours a week. But because I truly loved my job it was not a big deal. The only reason I left was for the pay.
Pros
The chance to help make somones life better
Cons
Your lunch break was spent tutoring students, but it was worthwhile
Austin campus is doomed.
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 17, 2016
This campus is horrible with turn over no one lasts more than 4-6 months in most departments especially management. All of their directors get fired or run for the hills.
Pros
You will have a job.
Cons
They will suck the soul out of you.
Horrible School
Education Finance Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 20, 2015
Unethical school and unethical management team that creates a hostile environment. There is nothing positive about this school. I was laid off after two months for bringing up concerns. Management protects employees that are unethical. After being laid off I was offered a job at another university several weeks later. But the layoff was a blessing from the sky. I was offered another job almost immediately after at another University where ethics is at the top of the totem pole. Stay way from this company. You will be miserable.
Pros
nothing
Cons
I would go somewhere else
HVAC/R Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 27, 2016
This is not a good place to work if you have a conscience of want to have any kind of work-life balance. I got out as soon as I could.
Office
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMarch 1, 2016
A typical day would be filing, entering student information onto computer, cleaning classrooms, and helping instructors with any work(grading ,making copy's,organizing.)
Productive & fun. Interact with active student in different activities
Senior Education Finance Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 29, 2015
I enjoy working in this field and love assisting individuals in changing their lives. Enjoy assisting other campuses when help is needed & having the opportunity to assist online as well.
Bad Times at SCI
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 12, 2015
If you want to work at SCI, be prepared to work in a cut-throat, step on you neck environment, where it will not matter how hard you work, or the good you do.
Students are good for the most part, and teachers are great.
Adjunct Instructor Dean can sell swamp land for a living and be rich
Part time Instructor, MA, MIBC Programs (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 30, 2015
I enjoyed teaching the students and the staff was very helpful but the Dean is a great sales person when it comes to recruiting but unable to deliver very inconsistent. Practices her speech to a "T" and rehearsed very well till you sign on and get your first paycheck. Ability to teach your own style and diverse, able to deliver the quality of knowledge to be successful in the field. Disappointed in the experience felt welcomed but lost in the end.
Pros
Good Instructors
Cons
Lack of leadership
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasJune 10, 2015
Manage my own business. Take accountability for your own actions, show leadership. Help my coworkers in their weaknesses. Change peoples lives by guiding them through the correct path as far as career training.
Pros
Free education, we just pay the fee and taxes.
Cons
healthcare, bad reputation
Filing,data entry,Arranging activities for student,handling money.
Student (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 1, 2015
Was a temporary job since I was student during that time.And I had many other duties such as answering phone calls and dealing with my fellow students.
Pros
got to know many people
Cons
No health care
Has great potential
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 3, 2015
The school has great potential. Can improve in communication with staff/students. Could offer better programs and tuition costs.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
healthcare, family/work life balance.
productive
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Weslaco TXApril 7, 2015
Our days were very busy we had so many students in so many different careers that attending to all of them was very rewarding from the admissions team to the financial aid it was always students come first best part of my day was the student communication
Productive and fun work place
Pharmacy Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 19, 2015
Southern Careers Institute is an excellent place for students to advance. Good communication skills with teachers and employee's to meet everyone needs
Pros
Providing students with values
Cons
Turn over rate of management
Nice
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 16, 2015
They are a nice company to work for. The management is cool. Just make sure if you are looking for Admissions you are a sales oriented person.
progressive interesting fun place to work.
Institutional development representative (Current Employee) –  Austin TexasFebruary 8, 2014
Southern Careers Institute has been completely transformed by the new management team that took over to July 2013. Their focus is all about the student and their success with their future employer. The programs have been updated and include certifications. Anybody that says anything bad about the school has not seen the new management team in place or looked at the new curriculum that is currently there I would encourage them to re evaluate now.
Pros
great place to work and the pay is comparable.
Cons
none.
Productive, gained lots of experience
Allied Health Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 10, 2013
I teach all the medical courses and medical certifications for the Medical Assistant program. I currently have 25-30 students for a total of three (2-hour) classes. I also tutor students after classes and am seen as an education specialist because i provide remidiation to students.
Pros
able to gain lots of experience working with different age groups
Cons
a big issue with administration turn around
Not a good place to work!
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 22, 2012
Your always in jeopardy of losing your job there.
When I quit I was told it was a management style. They were on their 3rd DOA, and I watched at least 9 reps either walked out, or walked out themselves. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping and seeing young ones want to make something out of themselves and coming back to hug you and say thank you. But this job is all sales and if you can't make enrollments out of their UNWORKABLE LEADS they provide, you mise well hang up your hat.
Pros
pay
Cons
leads, job security
What I have learned
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 25, 2012
There are many things that I have learned since I have been working at Southern Careers Institute. A couple main things that I have learned is to always do what you are asked to do in a timely matter, achive over and beyond, and always keep a positive attitude. You have to learn how to be organized and detail oriented so that you catch mistakes before you turn in anything. It has also taught me to to work under pressure very well.
Pros
hour lunchs, paid holidays
Cons
work late, do not feel appreciated