SOUTHERN CAREERS INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

Terrible in Austin
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 8, 2017
The culture of the school is horrible. Everyone is so stressed that they will be fired it's pitiful. We do things for the students not for the sake of helping students, but to see if we can get publicity for it. Everything is about getting students to enroll and DO NOT DROP a student. They move the campus to a location that is very hard to get to. Just dumb!!!
Pros
Students who really want to learn, but came to the wrong place.
Cons
CEO is okay but has never run a school. COO is a bully!!!
Huge mistake.
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 1, 2017
Director of admissions needs to be thrown out. They talk down on you and are extremely negative. Work/life balance does not exist, as you are expected to stay past your scheduled shift (mandatory) without notice, mandatory working lunch without notice, mandatory weekends with minimal notice. They come in yelling and clapping, demanding appointments with the bad leads they have yet they think they set admissions up for success.
Do yourself a favor and stay away! Management needs to be thrown out before culture can get better and work well so company can produce better results. It all starts from the top and the bad leadership and negativity makes the job unenjoyable and nobody wants to be in a job they don't enjoy.
typical for profit college
Admissions Representative (online/remote) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2017
The hours were flexible but selling the school programs is difficult. The programs are not competitive. The students are being enrolled for certificate programs that cost thousands of dollars and many of the students who enroll do not understand what they are paying for. There is also a revolving door for the employees. Many leave or get fired. It's a churn and burn culture.
Pros
working with students
Cons
the compan's churn and burn culture
horrible place to work
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78704January 30, 2017
Work schedule is horrible. Very Stressful environment. Pay is awesome but job is very time consuming. Not enough time to spend with family.
Pros
pay
Dream Job
Career Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 23, 2017
When I first applied for a job with SCI, I did my research on the company and the student reviews. Like with everything, I took reviews with a grain of salt and appreciated the honest (if sometimes negative) reviews left about the company & campus.

I'm so grateful I did because I've been with SCI for more than 5 months now and I love my job. The campus I work for is amazing. Faculty and staff are committed to making a difference in the lives of students who are trying to improve their situations under difficult circumstances. It's not an easy job because there are a great deal of frustrations that come with it, but I am very fortunate to be working in a team where my director is stellar at what she does and provides an environment for all of us to grow in. SCI is focused on building up those they hire instead of like other companies who hire from the outside and neglect the talent they have within.

Benefits, pay, and work life balance are great. I don't feel like I did before where I couldn't separate myself from the two.

Overall, if you get a call back from SCI or looking to apply, I greatly encourage it. The job is not picture perfect, but it is a wonderful place to grow and touch the lives of so many.
Pros
benefits, work life balance, supportive company, internal promotions
Cons
stressful
Fun work place because of the coworkers i worked with.
Admissions Advisor/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 23, 2017
Best part of the job is being a part of changing someone's life. Management was never steady, no one was in control until right before I left. Hardest part of working on the job was being pushed and pushed to enroll anyone.
not good
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 3, 2017
horrible leads, they expect you to compete with UT or Texas Estate...Austin is not a good city for a school like that, they give you leads that never requested any information regarding school.
Pros
good training
Cons
hard
Admissions process is great
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXDecember 12, 2016
A great place to meet and help people. Great management, awesome team . Able to network and meet other agencies, marketing skills
Pros
Help others
Cons
Not enoght hrs
ok place to work
Senior Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TX 78414December 2, 2016
it was an okay place to work. I did not mind being there but I also dud not want to be there forever./ the environment was just oik
High Turnover Rate
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 17, 2016
Love the job hate the company! The motto at this company is "you're only as good as you're last week". Very numbers driven which isn't the drawback but DO NOT have a bad week here they will hold it against you dearly. Poor training and stressful atmosphere (after training). If you struggle at all they will find ways to fire you if needed. Very high turn-over rate with this company because employees feel unappreciated. I was very much overworked and felt like just a number here.
Pros
Working with students, Opportunities for management
Cons
Lack of appreciation, High Turnover
Poor Management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 24, 2016
This company has a huge communication issue. There is lack of communication between the corporate office and the local campuses.
Great work experience
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 22, 2016
I had a great work experience at this organization; great co-workers and awesome students. Unfortunately, I was dissatisfied with the shift hours but other than that my experience was fair.
Rewarding, challenging
Admissions Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 6, 2016
I enjoy helping individuals. This is probably the best part of my job. I'm a people person & I help students overcome any obstacles they may be faced with.
Productive and Fun Enviornment
Assistant Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXAugust 11, 2016
It is a fun working environment, all the workers get along very well.
I learned how to communicate better with others older and younger than I.
The hardest part of my job might have been trying to stay calm when corporate was visiting. I've never had a job where corporate gives visits.
The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to interact with the potential students that would come in and check out the school. The admissions representatives would always call me out of class during school hours, or pull me to the side while I'm working and have me talk to them a little bit about the school and its environment.
Unprofessional and unethical
Instructor (Current Employee) –  TXJune 4, 2016
Students are eager to learn. There is; however, a lack of moral leadership and a culture of covering up problems which leads to a high turnover in both students and staff. Students end up paying a lot and learning very little about their chosen fields.
Pros
Students
Cons
Management positions held by some who are not qualified, and have no previous experience in education.
I would go somewhere else
HVAC/R Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 27, 2016
This is not a good place to work if you have a conscience of want to have any kind of work-life balance. I got out as soon as I could.
Horrible School
Education Finance Specialist - Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 22, 2016
Unethical and Uprofessional
don't care about the employees or students
they only gossip about their staff and administration and director suck!
Pros
They have 0 to me
Cons
They Have 0 to me
Austin campus is doomed.
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 17, 2016
This campus is horrible with turn over no one lasts more than 4-6 months in most departments especially management. All of their directors get fired or run for the hills.
Pros
You will have a job.
Cons
They will suck the soul out of you.
Office
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMarch 1, 2016
A typical day would be filing, entering student information onto computer, cleaning classrooms, and helping instructors with any work(grading ,making copy's,organizing.)
Ok place to work
Medical Billing and Coding Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 31, 2015
Loved the DOE Mrs. Aragon however when she was replaced the entire school went downhill it was unorganized and not structured.
Pros
helping students
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTHERN CAREERS INSTITUTE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9