SOUTHERN CAREERS INSTITUTE

SOUTHERN CAREERS INSTITUTE Employer Reviews

Making a difference in peoples lives and our community
Director of Admissions (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: changing lives
Cons: the lack of rescourses
contact potential students in order to counsel in educational choices
Pharmacy Technician Instructor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 5, 2014
The culture is professional and the faculty and staff are wonderful to work with. Everyone is helpful and there is a strong team ethic.
My students made my job worthwhile
Instructor (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXNovember 10, 2014
I cant say too much about management but my students made everything worthwhile. Schedule was unconventional.
Evil money hungry Corporation
Instructor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 4, 2014
Pros: really great people still tring to make a diffrence
Cons: every day you lose more of yourself, government fraud, ruining lives, students in debt they can never repay.
Evil money hungry Corporation. How?

Marketing Target poor Americans that don't know what they are coming in for. Buy phone numbers for cold calling, Trick people into applying for school when they think they are applying for a job.

Admissions graded purely numbers enroll or get replaced. New admissions reps every 2 weeks.They use used car sales pushing and convening students that their lives are bad and they must sign up for school. Lie to them and offer them the world. Its easy. If they cant read even better! They don't know what they are signing. Never tell a student with felonies they cant be successful in their targeted regulated fields.

Financial aid Graded on financing
There job is to get the students financing regardless of their ability to pay the minimum loans, regardless of the interest rates of the private loans. Saddle them with debt!

Education, Instructors are graded on how many students pass, how often they come to school, how many drop out. Teaching does not matter, just keep them in school so the school can collect. Evaluations are 1-5, never give employees over a 3. 5 does not exist in reality. It about demotivate. You will be required to buy your own supplies even thou its a for profit very profitable school. If anyone drops out or does not come to school its the instructors fault.

Career Services, Get them a job for 1 day. That satisfies the numbers. Student" I hate my job i am basically the janitor for a clinic" Career Placement " but you were working at a clinic?" Student "yes Career services" great your placed congratulations!"
excited to go to work
Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 28, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: poor upper management
I enjoyed my students and the customers, allowed me to see every day smiles
good pay but overworked
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Rio Grande ValleyAugust 27, 2014
They pay well, that's what got me in the door. Work/family life balance is way off...lots of work little family time. You never knew if you would be working on the weekend until Friday. Always worried about job security.
Instructor
Instructor (Current Employee), San AntonioJune 24, 2014
Pros: great, friendly staff
Cons: pay, working through lunch
SCI is a great place to work. The staff really cares about the students and their future. It is a lot of work for the pay, but is rewarding in other ways.
Offers many rewards with the satisfaction of reaching a challenging demographic.
General Education Instructor (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 12, 2014
Pros: wonderful students and staff.
Cons: low salary.
It is a setting that demands sensitivity for our students, creativity, and dedication. The faculty gets along well and the new DOE is very professional and personable. Each day my skills and schooling are improved because of the demands of teaching challenging students

A new group is running the corporation. They have accomplished a great deal and have very good plans to make SCI a school that will be a leader in our field.

I absolutely love my students and being in the classroom. I am privileged to teach people who are serious about changing their lives.

We have a ten minute break every hour and a half hour lunch.
The salary could be higher. We haven't had a raise in five years.

The location is very convenient and there is ample, secure parking. The building is old and needs renovation. Our equipment is in short supply and is not always as up to date as we would like.
Fun and challenging
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXMarch 14, 2014
Great place to work under amazing management. Very challenging and rewarding with hard work.
progressive interesting fun place to work.
Institutional development representative (Current Employee), Austin TexasFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: great place to work and the pay is comparable.
Cons: none.
Southern Careers Institute has been completely transformed by the new management team that took over to July 2013. Their focus is all about the student and their success with their future employer. The programs have been updated and include certifications. Anybody that says anything bad about the school has not seen the new management team in place or looked at the new curriculum that is currently there I would encourage them to re evaluate now.
Productive, gained lots of experience
Allied Health Instructor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 10, 2013
Pros: able to gain lots of experience working with different age groups
Cons: a big issue with administration turn around
I teach all the medical courses and medical certifications for the Medical Assistant program. I currently have 25-30 students for a total of three (2-hour) classes. I also tutor students after classes and am seen as an education specialist because i provide remidiation to students.
hmm
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2013
Was an ok place to work at. A lot of gossip with the front office staff. Too much work and overtime for one person to handle and was not appreciated. Wasn't given a break and lunch was always cut short. Pay wasn't worth it for all the work load.
Enjoyed helping potential students!
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 29, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company. I was given the opportunity to acquire various skills and grow professionally.
Always interesting.
Adm. Coun./Computer Instruc./Job Placemt. Coord. (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: open door policy
Cons: disappointment when students fall short of their goals.
Meet interesting people. Multi-cultural. Friendly staff and eager to assist the students. Aimed to see students succeed.
What I have learned
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 25, 2012
Pros: hour lunchs, paid holidays
Cons: work late, do not feel appreciated
There are many things that I have learned since I have been working at Southern Careers Institute. A couple main things that I have learned is to always do what you are asked to do in a timely matter, achive over and beyond, and always keep a positive attitude. You have to learn how to be organized and detail oriented so that you catch mistakes before you turn in anything. It has also taught me to to work under pressure very well.
Great team that stays focused on helping each student!
Director of Career Services (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 10, 2012
Love to see the students realize all their hardwork was worth it once they get the call that they are hired.
Job Duties
Business Instructor (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 2, 2012
Program Specialist for effective ELearning and Distance instructional design and curriculum.
Provide program guidelines to maximize the mission and quantitative standards in achieving program goals
Collaborate and integration of workforce training for methodologies and IT systems.
Supervises project managers/team leaders or highly complex projects that require coordinating, planning, and scheduling during project development and implementation stages.
Develop curriculum guidelines for technology pedagogies and hands on training.
Develop and measure student learning outcomes for courses and programs, updating curriculum and reports.
Oversees and monitors the maintenance of existing systems; monitors the resolution of software production problems; and ensures the preparation of IT system.
Serves as primary agency point of contact for collaboration of adult education programs and workforce development programs.
Establishes training program and curriculum practices for technology laboratory.
Consults with community groups and personnel from rehabilitation agencies to identify need for new or modified vocational rehabilitation programs.
Collects and analyzes data to define and resolve vocational rehabilitation theory and practice.
Monitors program operations and recommends additional measures to ensure programs meet defined needs.
Plans and provides training for vocational rehabilitation staff.
Prepared technical and management reports for student retention, standards, and quality assurance.
Interact with public sector and agencies to promote program development.
Provide analysis of technology forums and leads seminars for training.
Organized, supervised, and managed data, evaluating system, and performance levels.
Establishing goals and objectives; developing guidelines, procedures, policies, rules, and regulations and schedules.
Not a good place to work!
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 22, 2012
Pros: pay
Cons: leads, job security
Your always in jeopardy of losing your job there.
When I quit I was told it was a management style. They were on their 3rd DOA, and I watched at least 9 reps either walked out, or walked out themselves. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping and seeing young ones want to make something out of themselves and coming back to hug you and say thank you. But this job is all sales and if you can't make enrollments out of their UNWORKABLE LEADS they provide, you mise well hang up your hat.
Great opportunity.
Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 14, 2012
Pros: rewarding.
Cons: the pay.
To work with students that wish to have a second chance in education, post high school or college, was fulfilling to see them reach their goals through all trials.
worste place to work at
none (Former Employee), noneJanuary 2, 2015
Cons: worse place to work at
Do not even apply worste place to work at. They will work you to death and they pay less then other schools. Its a sales job and their is no future there its all about enrollments they do not care about students nor employees. Management treats employees very unprofessional and they never approve your vacation they change process like there is no tomorrow. Run from that place its like a prison they micro manage everything.