SOUTHERN CAREERS INSTITUTE

SOUTHERN CAREERS INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

Adjunct Instructor Dean can sell swamp land for a living and be rich
Part time Instructor, MA, MIBC Programs (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 30, 2015
Pros: Good Instructors
Cons: Lack of leadership
I enjoyed teaching the students and the staff was very helpful but the Dean is a great sales person when it comes to recruiting but unable to deliver very inconsistent. Practices her speech to a "T" and rehearsed very well till you sign on and get your first paycheck. Ability to teach your own style and diverse, able to deliver the quality of knowledge to be successful in the field. Disappointed in the experience felt welcomed but lost in the end.
Productive and fun work place
Pharmacy Instructor (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 19, 2015
Pros: Providing students with values
Cons: Turn over rate of management
Southern Careers Institute is an excellent place for students to advance. Good communication skills with teachers and employee's to meet everyone needs
productive
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Weslaco TXApril 7, 2015
Our days were very busy we had so many students in so many different careers that attending to all of them was very rewarding from the admissions team to the financial aid it was always students come first best part of my day was the student communication
Bad Work Culture!
Instructor (Former Employee), San Antonio North CampusFebruary 23, 2015
For-profit schools are all the same, making a profit all for the sake of education! I foresee this company to crumble within on itself if it continues operating with the same administration. As once employed as a Medical Assistant instructor with this company at the San Antonio North Campus, I encountered so many problems with the higher management and admissions department. There is far too much corruption and laziness. A responsible organization listens to its employees, values their feedback, works with their strengths and respects them.

Some of the admission representatives are charlatans and will say anything to get students to sign contract agreements. Just last Friday, while going over resumes and cover letters in my class, I discovered that one of my students had already successfully completed a medical assistant program years ago and was tricked into signing a contract with the same program for "refreshment training." This is BOGUS! I advised the appalled student that all was needed was to retake the certification test to stay current.

With such a high turnover rate, instructors are treated so common they are valued as worthless and easily replaced. Also, to make matters worse, poor admissions and spiraling out of control retention, it is obvious that more people are becoming aware of the Titanic-like fate of this company and others like it. Until TWC comes in and audits this place it will continue its culture of deceitful and unethical practices. I have worked far too hard to have my reputation go down with this school. This organization doesn't deserve to have me work with them. If you value your time, ethics and money take it elsewhere. This is no place for talented ethical employees who question authority. Please take heed. Students are far better off attending community colleges.
loved the job
GED campus Coordinator and Instructor (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2015
teaching the community the GED courses so they could further their life goals was awesome---leadership needed to be more involved
Excellent staff.
Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee), HarlingenJanuary 11, 2015
I enjoyed working with a group of professionals that I grew to respect and admire.
Making a difference in peoples lives and our community
Director of Admissions (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: changing lives
Cons: the lack of rescourses
contact potential students in order to counsel in educational choices
Pharmacy Technician Instructor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 5, 2014
The culture is professional and the faculty and staff are wonderful to work with. Everyone is helpful and there is a strong team ethic.
My students made my job worthwhile
Instructor (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXNovember 10, 2014
I cant say too much about management but my students made everything worthwhile. Schedule was unconventional.
Evil money hungry Corporation
Instructor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 4, 2014
Pros: really great people still tring to make a diffrence
Cons: every day you lose more of yourself, government fraud, ruining lives, students in debt they can never repay.
Evil money hungry Corporation. How?

Marketing Target poor Americans that don't know what they are coming in for. Buy phone numbers for cold calling, Trick people into applying for school when they think they are applying for a job.

Admissions graded purely numbers enroll or get replaced. New admissions reps every 2 weeks.They use used car sales pushing and convening students that their lives are bad and they must sign up for school. Lie to them and offer them the world. Its easy. If they cant read even better! They don't know what they are signing. Never tell a student with felonies they cant be successful in their targeted regulated fields.

Financial aid Graded on financing
There job is to get the students financing regardless of their ability to pay the minimum loans, regardless of the interest rates of the private loans. Saddle them with debt!

Education, Instructors are graded on how many students pass, how often they come to school, how many drop out. Teaching does not matter, just keep them in school so the school can collect. Evaluations are 1-5, never give employees over a 3. 5 does not exist in reality. It about demotivate. You will be required to buy your own supplies even thou its a for profit very profitable school. If anyone drops out or does not come to school its the instructors fault.

Career Services, Get them a job for 1 day. That satisfies the numbers. Student" I hate my job i am basically the janitor for a clinic" Career Placement " but you were working at a clinic?" Student "yes Career services" great your placed congratulations!"
excited to go to work
Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 28, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: poor upper management
I enjoyed my students and the customers, allowed me to see every day smiles
good pay but overworked
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Rio Grande ValleyAugust 27, 2014
They pay well, that's what got me in the door. Work/family life balance is way off...lots of work little family time. You never knew if you would be working on the weekend until Friday. Always worried about job security.
Instructor
Instructor (Current Employee), San AntonioJune 24, 2014
Pros: great, friendly staff
Cons: pay, working through lunch
SCI is a great place to work. The staff really cares about the students and their future. It is a lot of work for the pay, but is rewarding in other ways.
Offers many rewards with the satisfaction of reaching a challenging demographic.
General Education Instructor (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 12, 2014
Pros: wonderful students and staff.
Cons: low salary.
It is a setting that demands sensitivity for our students, creativity, and dedication. The faculty gets along well and the new DOE is very professional and personable. Each day my skills and schooling are improved because of the demands of teaching challenging students

A new group is running the corporation. They have accomplished a great deal and have very good plans to make SCI a school that will be a leader in our field.

I absolutely love my students and being in the classroom. I am privileged to teach people who are serious about changing their lives.

We have a ten minute break every hour and a half hour lunch.
The salary could be higher. We haven't had a raise in five years.

The location is very convenient and there is ample, secure parking. The building is old and needs renovation. Our equipment is in short supply and is not always as up to date as we would like.
Fun and challenging
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXMarch 14, 2014
Great place to work under amazing management. Very challenging and rewarding with hard work.
progressive interesting fun place to work.
Institutional development representative (Current Employee), Austin TexasFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: great place to work and the pay is comparable.
Cons: none.
Southern Careers Institute has been completely transformed by the new management team that took over to July 2013. Their focus is all about the student and their success with their future employer. The programs have been updated and include certifications. Anybody that says anything bad about the school has not seen the new management team in place or looked at the new curriculum that is currently there I would encourage them to re evaluate now.
Productive, gained lots of experience
Allied Health Instructor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 10, 2013
Pros: able to gain lots of experience working with different age groups
Cons: a big issue with administration turn around
I teach all the medical courses and medical certifications for the Medical Assistant program. I currently have 25-30 students for a total of three (2-hour) classes. I also tutor students after classes and am seen as an education specialist because i provide remidiation to students.
hmm
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2013
Was an ok place to work at. A lot of gossip with the front office staff. Too much work and overtime for one person to handle and was not appreciated. Wasn't given a break and lunch was always cut short. Pay wasn't worth it for all the work load.
Enjoyed helping potential students!
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 29, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company. I was given the opportunity to acquire various skills and grow professionally.
Always interesting.
Adm. Coun./Computer Instruc./Job Placemt. Coord. (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: open door policy
Cons: disappointment when students fall short of their goals.
Meet interesting people. Multi-cultural. Friendly staff and eager to assist the students. Aimed to see students succeed.