Southern Company Employee Reviews

Open work environment with little room for growth
Scheduling Associate - Northeast (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 11, 2017
Good spot if you're looking for a foot in the door to natural gas scheduling, bad spot if you're actively looking to advance much past that. Managers are okay, but no one goes out of there way to be too involved in helping you. HR department is garbage. Some of the Schedulers are great, but always looking to leave.
Southern Company
Independent Networking Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GAJuly 26, 2017
I have never worked for Southern Company so I cannot comment on their policies,daily work habits, or enjoyable parts of the job.On the other hand a company such as Southern Company must have a long prestigious career in serving their customers to have been in business as long as they have. I do feel that a company as themselves not only has a dedicated work staff such as their managers, but would provide an enjoyable atmosphere to encourage productivity. The hardest part of that job finding a fine balance between meeting productivity goals set forth by the company and combining it into a healthy workplace to encourage employees.
Decent pay and benefits, stressful work environment
Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 26, 2017
Current management has taken plants that were once flagships in the industry to poor to mediocre performers today. They rotate people in and out of jobs and expect immediate improvements in performance.

Salary is good for the region but tends to be below equivalent jobs at other nuclear plants. Engineers leave for 20 to 30K pay raises with other nuclear utilities.

Good benefits and diverse company.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
No accountability among management for poor decisions
Good Work Place Culture
Operations and Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 26, 2017
Southern was a good place to work. Their expectations of their employees are high and they are results oriented. Assignments are skill based and they believe in continuous learning (on the job). Evaluations are generally fair and are based on both individual, group, and company goals.
Pros
Low personell turn over.
Cons
High level of devotion to job versus family
Southern Company Is a great company to work for
Start-Up and Commissioning Specialist (Contract (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSJuly 8, 2017
I loved my experience working with Southern Company. i was compensated well, opportunities to move up within the company and the ability to balance work and life outside of work was the best ever.
fast paste
sandblaster (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAJune 21, 2017
this is a good company if u need a summer job while your on school break or if you are a x convict company was unorganized and all over ifyou do not know structure and patience this is not the job for you but great co workers
Pros
overtime
Cons
seasonal
Great company but not cutting edge
Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 6, 2017
Great company but still a good old boy network. Advancement opportunities are given to those who are the "in" crowd and based on who you know....not what you can do. Has a pension though and that is rare these days. Annual bonus as well that is based on your level.
Pros
Great benefits and a PENSION
Cons
Very few opportunities for advancement past level 5
Professional and Proud
Aircraft/Flight Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJune 5, 2017
My typical day at work was balanced/stressful. I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with. Southern Company made sure I had the resources and classes I needed to keep me up to date on computer programs to do my job efficiently. I have a lot of respect for this company and didn't mind giving 110% to show my appreciation.
Pros
Learned a lot. Helped me think outside the box, be proactive, and seek first to understand then to be understood.
huge managment changes
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 31, 2017
Large reorganization in progress. Multiple failures on execution of mega projects.

Management and executives completely unaware of construction industry standards or metrics
Comfortable and safe environment to grow in.
Application Services Co-op (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 12, 2017
I found the environment to be very relaxed and social. Both independent work and collaboration are encouraged. Programmers are well equipt with some of the newest hardware and software tools.
Pros
Excellent amenities in the building.
Its a very good company to work for
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moss Point, MSMay 8, 2017
I learned leadership skills, Document Control, how to be more productive and use time wisely in a new construction setting. The resources I was able to have to learn my job and to do it proficiently.
Pros
Good work Enviroment
Cons
N/a
Good company with great advancement potential.
Design Engineer, Instrument & Control (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, GAMay 4, 2017
This company has a great work culture. The people are helpful, and there is a feeling of camaraderie within the workforce that is encouraged by the management.
Worked for Employment agency, not Southern Company Directly
Administrative Assistant Adecco Staffing (Former Employee) –  Etowah, GAApril 17, 2017
Received blueprints, entered blueprints into system. Worked closely with contractors to ensure current and correct blue prints were received and used. Typed reports.
Fast productuion work.
Energy Homes Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Addison, ALMarch 28, 2017
A typical day at Southern Energy is fast paste and always busy. The management and staff are great people to work with, and have great team work skills. I learned how to keep up on an assembly line and adapted to Cold and Hot working conditions. The hardest part about my job would be that I work with Hispanics, so sometimes communication is hard.
great place to work
Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2017
very relaxed environment, pay is excellent, and career growth is highly supported here. management allows you to do your job and trust you to do just that, no micromanagement.
Pros
pay, environment, and career growth
Good Pay, but has poor management within Southern Nuclear
SNC Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, GAMarch 8, 2017
Southern Company as a whole is a very good company, Southern Nuclear on the other hand is awful. They have poor management. No trust lies within the company at all! Employees tend to leave the company not because of the job, but because of management. Limited room for growth, if you are not affiliated with ones that are in the "clique"!
Employees are often "talked" about for mid year and annual performance ratings amongst leadership where it gets into a gossip session, which is inappropriate and creates a biased opinion to others based on ones perception of another individual.
Pros
Free lunch, good pay
Cons
too many to list
Former Southern Company Employee
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2017
A typical day at work is busy assisting internal and external customers, attending meetings and/or working on projects. Customer service and safety are among top priorities of the company. Workplace culture is not stressful and for the most part positive.Unless you have a degree, don't expect to advance. Once you turn 50 and meet tenure, salary and age buckets, be prepared to be let go (unless you are a favored employee, a minority or a senior manager /executive). The most enjoyable part of this job is helping the customer.
Benefits
Cons
Advancing within the company
Good place to work, dont expect much
Research Accountant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 15, 2017
Southern Company's operating companies are good places to work for steady pay and great benefits but do not expect much beyond that. Stifling culture and lip service to Human Performance principles. If you are over 50, be prepared to go at any time.
Close group, great learning environment
Unix Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2017
Great benefits rolled with a work environment that conducive to learning and development strong technical skills.

Great work/life balance

Unbelievable benefits
Pros
strong team
Great Place
Lead Commissioning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MississippiJanuary 23, 2017
Compressor Station Pre-Commissioning / Commissioning and Startup Operations at the Integrated
Gasification Combined Cycle (IGCC) in Kemper County Mississippi for Southern Company Services.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Company. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval