Southern Connecticut State University Employee Reviews

Southern ct university
Ball Boy (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 27, 2017
Short shifts, but you can basically chose your own hours. They work with your schedule. The one problem I’ve had is contacting my manager, he usually doesn’t answer his phone
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 24, 2017
SCSU is an amazing place to work. Great culture. Great people. Meeting new people has been a plus for me. I have a great boss. I've been working for SCSU for over 16 years.
Student Worker Job
Finance and Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 22, 2017
Southern Connecticut State University has a great student worker program. I was able to work in an office setting, and start learning those skills desired by a future employer.
Fun work place
Instructor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 4, 2017
Working at Southern Connecticut State University was a fun experience overall. The student population as well as, faculty and staff were a positive experience.
Pros
Faculty office space
Cons
Adjunt faculty have no opportunity to advance
Productive University to work for
Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 21, 2017
I was a desk attendant for a department on campus during work study while I was a student. It was an enjoyable job to have while going to school. I learned more about office management and would work in that setting again.
Pros
Able to do homework
Cons
Creepy after closing
Relaxed workplace with a fun sense of competition
Phone-A-Thon caller, Part-time (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 14, 2017
A typical day at work at the Phone-A-Thon center at Southern Connecticut involved calling alumni requesting donations. It was fun to be able to talk to people who went to the same school as me, and many people were friendly. However, many people were also very rude to people soliciting donations (as expected). It was a relatively easy job that also helped me communicate with people I've never seen or met.
This is good for an on campus job
Student Worker/Note Taker (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 17, 2017
Being a note taker at SCSU is good if you aren't taking full-time courses (5 classes). However if you are taking 5 classes, it's very hard to fit another class in to do the note taking. That then turns into taking 6 classes without getting any credit for that class.
Productive workplace, staff/family oriented workplace.
Resident Advisor, Office of Residence Life (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 7, 2017
Sometimes stressful and a lot of work but a fun, and hard working environment. Working in the residence life has taught me so much and I gained personal growth, great life experiences and lessons.
Flexible hours
Adjunct (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 5, 2017
Departments work around Adjuncts' schedules as much as possible. Resources are readily available and support from staff is excellent. The number of disciplines available to Adjuncts limited.
Pros
Teaching aids very good
Cons
Class size could be overwhelming
excellent
Graduate Research Fellowship Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 28, 2017
I enjoyed working at SCSU, people were very nice and friendly. graduate assistant, research assistant and got an award due to my contributions to the department.
Good!
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 12, 2017
As a student worker at SCSU, I was able to make connections and network while also going to classes. It was relaxing, and gave me the skills I needed in the professional world.
Friendly environment.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 7, 2017
Southern is friendly environment, Staff work efficiently to help one another. Students have a vast amount of help from staff. Teachers are reliable. Great place!
Great time
Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 27, 2017
Business was family oriented and concentrated atmosphere. The managers seemed to understand schedule request and usually was good with communication. I'd definitely work there again.
Fun place to work
Professor of Spanish (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 26, 2017
It is a fun and nice place to work at college because you get to met different students willing to learn a language. They work hard and smart every day and bring to the classroom different experiences they had. You have to be organized in order to support the education of the students and manage the time. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the students talking and responding to you in Spanish.
Pros
Work and Study
Cons
Health Care for part- time is expensive
Great
Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 9, 2017
Its a great job sot and monitor the desk at residential halls. Easy job allows to to catch up on work for classes. The bosses are nice and they are very easy to talk to.
Good environment and better people
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 2, 2017
Working at Southern gives you an instant group of people to connect with. You see your coworkers constantly, because you also live with them and take classes with them. Your boss is often a former student, and offer life advice as well as professional advice. It's a good vibe.
Workplace culture
Internship - Part Time (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 1, 2017
This was not for me. I went to school here for bachelors degree. Staff was not professional. I learned what I expected to learn and excelled. I would not work here.
Alumni Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 27, 2017
If you like academia, you will enjoy working here. A beautiful campus. Many exciting things happening with the new president. A very motivated management team.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
State funding
College friendly environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 15, 2017
This job was very laid back. A good fit for a college student. The most enjoyable part about was the interaction with my other peers. Keeping up with all of the things that were going on on campus.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible schedule, convenient
Cons
Long orientations
Useful Knowledge When First Departing College
Computer Operations Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 26, 2017
This position allowed me to enhance supervisory skills, attention to detail, planning ahead and decision making. Ideally this position was a stepping stone to assist in leading to a career later on.