Southern Connecticut State University

Southern Connecticut State University Employer Reviews

Productive and Busy Environment
School Of Graduate Studies Office Assistant (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJune 25, 2014
Pros: consistency
This is a great job that teaches you nearly everything a person may need to know in an office environment. Data entry responsibilities with a receptionist twist would be my best job description.
Good experience for Graduate Students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), New Haven, CTMay 30, 2014
I enjoyed the hands on experience with the students. I got a real taste of what it takes to become a professor.
productive and fun work evvironment; able to learn new adventures
Student Worker (Former Employee), New Haven, CtMay 27, 2014
Pros: educational work setting
Cons: no benifits; part-time
For a part time job I enjoyed what I learned, the people I worked with and the satisfaction from working around my school schedule. The hardest part of the job was when there wasn't work to do or the days were slow, the hours dragged on but I always tried my best to find things to do to make things easier for myself and other staff members.
SCSU
Equipment Manager (Current Employee), New Haven, CTMarch 10, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: n/a
A typical day at work consists of dealing with athletic apparel and equipment. Either washing players practice loops or game loops; also washing towels and other items. I also do whatever I am told to by my boss. I have learned how to deal with different athletic equipment and apparel. I also learned that it is an honor to deal with sports. I have great – more... co-workers; I do love some more than others but we all get a long. I love everything about my job; everything requires about the same amount of work. The best part about the job is watching a sports game and getting paid for it. That includes working at the event. – less
If you are a guy... Great place
Secretary (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJanuary 29, 2014
Men seem to advance at this workplace more than women. At this job I have learned to watch my back! People start gossip and never tell you what is wrong (if anything) to your face. Bad environment and stressful for no reason!
Great opportunity to teach college students
Adjunct Faculty- Course Instructor (Former Employee), New Haven, CTJanuary 12, 2014
Teaching students the principles of health and wellness. Instructing students on proper use of fitness equipment and key components of a well rounded workout routine.
Great teaching experience, university does not care about the work
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), New Haven, CTJanuary 3, 2014
The program is run through the teacher, not the university. While teaching with the students is great and working alongside the professor was a positive experience, the university does not reward for the efforts we give.
What I learned
Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Haven, CTDecember 26, 2013
This job was my first and taught me about office atmosphere and community. The faculty was great to work with and taught me a lot.
Life in the Balance
Resident Advisor (Community Coordinator) (Former Employee), New Haven, CTDecember 14, 2013
Working as a Resident Advisor wasn't always easy, but it was well worth the experience. In a typical day I really didn't need to worry too much. I was able to have the freedom to go out at night with my friends, time to do my homework, and be there for my residents.
Through this job, I learned how to manage my time between personal pleasures and work, – more... how to create, manage, design, and advertise for educational programs, and how to ask for help on situations that I found too large for me to handle.
I will say that the hardest part of the job is finding a way to control residents when they get rowdy and confronting co-workers when I thought some of the things they did were inappropriate. But the best part of the job was the socialization and learning about myself through learning about my residents. – less
Fun place to work
INSTRUCTOR, Business, (Former Employee), Providence, RINovember 20, 2013
Pros: the people
Cons: the people
Great job, great benefits. Easy to get in, hard to rise up. Enjoyable for the time I was there however very top heavy.
this is a great job all around
Mail Handler (Current Employee), New Haven, CTNovember 7, 2013
Pros: we have a gym and we get to use it.
Cons: you can't just park anywhere
southern is a very nice place to work. I enjoy going to work everyday.I don't just go to work because I like the job, i go to work everyday because of all the nice people that Ideal with every day. I have been employ in many places before but I have to say the job I have here @ southern is the job I enjoy the most.my day start @ eight o'clock in the – more... morning my coworker brings the mail from the post office . we sorts mail until it's done.my coworker return to the post office pick up the mails that we have to sign for mails like priority mail etc. on his return we sort some more then we pack all the mail into bags to deliver all over campus. Like my coworkers we are a team the hardest part of job is trying to find somewhere to park the most enjoyable part of my job is coming to work. – less
education
Graduate Assistant to Chair of CSP (Former Employee), New Haven, CTSeptember 6, 2013
I was able to meet many important individuals and train to be an educational professional.
Easy job
COMPUTER LAB ATTENDANT (Former Employee), New Haven, CTJuly 14, 2013
Job was easy, money was minimum. Had a lot of down time to do homework. Met new people.
Invaluable skills
Secretary, club member, and Treasurer (Former Employee), New Haven, CTJuly 8, 2013
Got to plan events, trips, and design clothing. Also doing things like being a secretary or treasurer and the planning/designing gives invaluable skills.
Accounting Support/Administrative Professional
Administrative Worker (Current Employee), New Haven, CTApril 13, 2013
Focus as an entry-level Accountant position including 6 years administrative / office experience with 3.5 years of Retail, Sales Customer Service work experience. Detail Oriented with strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. Work-well under pressure as independent, a dedicated team collaborator with selective emphasis on social – more... networking. Well-organized and proficient at multi-tasking with a proficiency in computer skills and Internet savvy with Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint and Access. – less
Busy and Simple work environment
Security Officer (Former Employee), New Haven, CTFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: simple activity
Cons: low pay
Comming in on time and unlocking guard booth is a must. Greet people when driving into the parking entrance and make sure they have parking decals. Identifying people and there parking decals is a mus because some maybe expired and some they may not own. I report accidents and disturbances to the seargent at the police station. Switching off shifts – more... with my co-worker was punctual. I enjoyed conversating with people of different background and educations. – less
Good environment and coworkers
University Assistant at SCSU OIT (Current Employee), New Haven, CTFebruary 21, 2013
Managing other coworkers. Provide first level tech support to 15,000+ students, faculty, and staff. Include thorough analysis of level 2 and 3 tech problems for support to full time technicians.
Tv in view
Desk Clerk (Former Employee), New Haven, CTFebruary 12, 2013
Come to work after classes to sign guest in and out of the building. My management was very polite. If I had an issue she would resolve it in a timely manner. I enjoyed my job to the fullest.
Working Southern Connecticut State University
Engineer (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: benefits and pension for life, sick time and vacation time.
Cons: working nights and weekends, can't advance doing the same job for plus 25 yrs.
Arrive at work at 11pm after driving 45 mins from Glastonbury to New Haven.Relieve the engineer that was there from the prior shift.Take the readings every hour and do consumption report at 12am.Sit in front of two monitors for the remaining shift.Handle complaint calls when they do occur from the surrounding buildings.Calling the trade foremen to tell – more... them about complaint.When a problem does occur you trouble shoot every thing.Your responsibilty is to make sure all the equipment is running without problems.Since you are by yourself,you can't leave the building untill you are relieved by the next engineer which comes in at 7:00am.The shift I work is during heating season which goes from October to May have done the last 16yrs. – less
Productive and fun
Student Worker/Circulation (Current Employee), New Haven, CTDecember 28, 2012
As a student worker the work day changed all the time in the library. We would shelve books, check in and out circulating materials, answer the phone, deal with any patron issues, etc. Many of the supervisors were very nice and accommodating to any concerns or issues we had.