Southern Connecticut State University Employee Reviews

helping students
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 9, 2017
I enjoyed learning from students and meeting students while learning about myself. I also enjoyed working with people my age and learning how the dorm is run.
Compass Group
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 14, 2016
Not the best place for you to work if you actually like to work hard. Workers are privileged and lazy. There's no way to manage these union workers. They will never be fired regardless not what work they do not do.
Pros
Cons
everything
Res Life
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 6, 2016
Great way to save money on housing. Keep you involved on campus. Get to meet many different individuals. Plan events. Help students grow
A Bit Frustrating
Orientation Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 20, 2016
As we all know, working for your university isn't the most glamorous think to do. I had a difficult time being forced to smile and laugh 24/7 in order for the university to appear fun and attractive to new coming students.
Great Learning Experience
Instructor, (full-time) Communication Department (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 14, 2016
I enjoyed the experience of teaching others, but also learning a great deal from the students and my fellow colleagues.
Excellent
Q-Group Therapist (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 24, 2016
Interned in the Family Clinic working therapeutically with a diverse set of families, couples and individuals. Responsible for record keeping, coordination of care, treatment planning, and safety planning. Great environment.
Pros
Supervision
Cons
crowded
Fun Workplace
Campus Recreation Intramurals Statistician/Referee (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CT 06515September 12, 2016
Working for SCSU was very fun. I had the opportunity to work with my peers under a field that I really enjoy which is sports. My co-workers were very enjoyable, they all seem to be happy to go into work and I can say the same about the supervisors. At this job I learned a lot about team work and leadership. We each had an assigned group we worked with daily but we each had our own tasks. My tasks were to set up the work space, make sure all the student were signed in with their student IDs ready for game play and also keep the score of the games.
Pros
On campus
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive learning environment
Full Time Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 10, 2016
SCSU is one of Connecticut's most diverse and well coordinated tertiary institutions. Overall my experience there was a very positive one and I hope to return in some capacity in the future.
Excellent clerical skills
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 9, 2016
Most of my job duties was collating and reporting to the Director for assignment if my duties was completed. I my duties and assignment was easy and manageable.
Pros
Free mug for treats refill
Cons
short hours
Disorganized, lacks leadership, too many "good ol' boys."
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  SociologyAugust 31, 2016
SCSU is undergoing transition and has been for the past years. There are many people who are unqualified for their positions, but because of the good old boy network, continue to make life awful for the rest of the people who work hard and maintain scholarship.
Pros
nada
Cons
list is too long
Fun fast pace job, always looked forward to coming to work
Student Worker for Hilton C. Buley Library (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 3, 2016
I learned how to manage my time around school with having a part-time job on campus. This job made my life a lot easier on campus with accomplishing my goals.
Pros
On campus
Cons
Hours could be at inconvenient times
The position was great and challenging. Student exposure was a plus.
SECRETARY II, Ed. Leadership & Policy Studies (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 18, 2016
The actual job duties were great. Student interactions very positive. Change in command and overall faculty personalities conflicted within and would spill over to staff.

A typical day at work would include checking email for both the personal email account for work/duties as well as the department email account for work/duties such as granting permissions for students to take course and limited advisement. Also served as the front person to assist students with questions regarding processing applications, etc. Telephone contact and problem solving and/or conflict resolution to assist the chairperson. Managing student staff, providing direction for student help as well as providing office functions such as supply ordering and stocking, assigning conference room usage, scheduling and/or acquiring conference rooms through the university system.
Pros
The work volume kept me busy
Cons
Inconsistent leadership and identifying authority
In need of management in certain departments
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 21, 2016
There is a need for better Management in department. There are departments with management with no experience managing a department or dealing with employee issues.
It was a learnig experiencing working as University Assisting
University Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 18, 2015
I would monitor the parking area, make sure the area was secure for the faculties and students. Made sure that the faculties, students and visitors park in the designated area and make sure that the appropriate sticker was on every vehicles. I escort faculties and students to and from their vehicle.
Pros
Meeting people and expanding my people skills
Cons
It was not my profession.
Sept 2009 - May 2010 Mentor - ConnCap (Former Employee) –  New havenOctober 15, 2015
Great place to work learning experience. Love working with students seeing them grow into great young men and women. Future leaders.
Convenient and advantageous work opportunities
Student Development Officer (Current Employee) –  New Haven, ConnecticutOctober 4, 2015
Being that I am pursuing my undergraduate degree at Southern, it has been a pleasure being able to have a job in the same location. The management has been nothing short of understanding and flexible. My co-workers help to make the environment quite welcoming being that they are fellow students. From my work experience, I have learned quite about working in team environments: such as the importance of bringing great energy to the table. The hardest part of working for Southern would be meeting the expectations of the management. being that I am a student at the university, I am expected to be mentally and psychologically prepared to handle many situations in order to meet the community standards. The easiest pert of working for the facility would be the great energy I am surrounded with followed by the many familiar faces.
Overall a good place to work
Manager, Procurement Services (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 14, 2015
Interesting and challenging projects, but a lack of staff to get objectives accomplished. Instability in top leadership positions which has trickled down to the lower levels of the organization.
Pros
Interesting work environment
Cons
Lack of leardership and advancement opportunities
Pleasant
Program Coordinator; ProCon (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 11, 2015
I learned a lot about health arts, and interacting with different people with different backgrounds. i got to meet a lot of different people and deal with different situations and learn to problem solve.
productive environment to learn from
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 20, 2015
highly productive. learned a lot as a student worker. supportive faculty relationships developed. exposure to academic advising and career counseling
Pros
free loaned text books
My job
Accounts Payable Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 8, 2015
If you are a outgoing and people orientated person, you will love to work at a University. It is a very educational job experience and it opens your mind up to so much more, when it comes to making a difference at your work place.
Pros
Free lunches and events
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Connecticut State University. Our community is ready to answer.

Southern Connecticut State University Reviews by Location