Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits

Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits Employee Reviews

Disciplined and Organized
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2016
As a Human Resources coordinator, I had to multitask through actively participating in the recruiting process, analyzing employee turnover and retention, addressing employee matters and organizing work activities for a the company. Holding this position I was responsible for preparing and coordinating any functions pertaining to employment, compensation, labor negotiations and employee relations. As the Human Resources coordinator, I played an active role in formulating methods to improve employment policies, processes and practices as well as recommending changes to management. As well as conducted a substantial amount of research, analyzing and reporting in addition to all daily tasks.
High pressure job with bad management.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Working at Southern was challenging for a people person as myself. The manager and co-workers were too concerned with being perfect and not making mistakes. I did learn a great deal about different wines and spirits and the complexities of working in an extremely professional environment. Management is what you would expect in a large corporation as well as the co-workers. It was difficult to be a cog and not be friendly with customers. I did enjoy all the knowledge about wines and spirits.
Pros
Benefits and Union representation
Cons
Ineffective managers and poor worker relations with HR.
Bully Problem
Admin (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CASeptember 8, 2016
The departments (warehouse, sales, admin) consist of people who have been with the company for 20 plus years. They ALL bully the younger generation in a form of "hazing". Its emotionally and physically draining on your body, mind, and spirit. Management lets the hazing happen and are often weak in nature. Lots of favoritism because everyone is related. There is no diversity in the employees. Nobody respects one another, everyone hates each other. Talent is not appreciated and is seen as a threat. If you enjoy fighting daily, gossiping, and being unprofessional this place is for you. If you are educated, good looking, smart, and talented this place will rip you to shreds. They do not like competition.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Bullying, Emotional Abuse, Rude Employees, Weak Management
Fun company with excellent training, compensation and benefits.
NYC Combo Off-Premise Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYAugust 29, 2015
Southern Wine and Spirits of America, Inc. (SWS) is the largest privately held distributor of distilled spirits, wine, beer, and nonalcoholic beverages in the USA. Working for the largest distributor makes the job more fun because people respect the name.

SWS strives to offer superior quality products and service through continuous improvement in all aspects of its’ business based on a dedication to employee development and resulting in a continued commitment towards maximizing customer satisfaction while generating profits. SWS provides all of the tools and training needed to be successful in business and in life.
Pros
The company is a fun company to work for with excellent training, compensation and benefits if you are in sales and in the field.
Cons
Management leaves a lot to be desired, pressure to do more with less, disrupts Job Work/Life Balance requiring 6 or 7 day work to keep up.
Contract
Human Resources Representative (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 20, 2016
Successful work experience within the Human Resources Division for the North Florida region.

Entailed providing a comprehensive administrative support to day-to-day operations of human resources ensuring the efficient delivery of salary payments, salary adjustments, recruitment processes, and the accuracy of employee data records. HR Assistant liaises closely with human resources department, finance and accounts department and other departments throughout the organization providing a customer focused and effective HR support service to the organization to achieve the organization goals and objectives.
Should have been a driver
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Syosset, New YorkAugust 17, 2015
Great job if you happen to be a union driver. Management dislikes the fact that the drivers are unionized. They don't like having to pay union scale. Drivers get away with just about everything. Middle management ends up getting the brunt of corporate ire. We were blamed for every driver misdeed. Transportation manager unable to think his way out of a square room with one door. Very vindictive culture. Always had to cover my butt because another manager or supervisor WILL stab you in the back to make himself look good. Great pay for the drivers. Some made six figures. OT was guaranteed. They could work half a day and still get paid for a full day. And you wonder why liquor costs so much.
Pros
Pay, time off, good benefits, union shop
Cons
Union shop, clueless management, poor working conditions
SWS strives to create a positive culture within all departments.
Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJune 7, 2016
A typical 8 hour day includes answering the phone, emails and warehouse visits. Fabulous co-workers who are driven to resolve issues and refrain from fault finding.

Management is supportive, allowing you to get involved in work related issues and interested in your perspective and resolution. They allow you to build relationships with customers and vendors.

Downside: SWS does not offer a college reimbursement program or provides additional training for non-management employees. .
Pros
Frequently recognizes "National Food Days". Holiday potlucks & Christmas is catered affair.
Cons
No additional training. Limited upward mobility. Unable to use a portion of Vacation or Sick leave, must use the entire 8 hours or make up the time, etc.
Self paced position with flexible hours.
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 29, 2016
I was making their boxes for shipment for about three months. I got to pick and choose my hours and as long as they added up to 40 and I met my daily quota of boxes. But that was the only position they wanted me in and they pay was good but the 8 hours of box making was just not to my liking. The management was great, and my coworkers were really cool but they work they wanted from me and what I wanted to do conflicted to much.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent pay, friendly coworkers
Cons
monotonous labor
Fun job, but little to build upon
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 22, 2016
Wine and Spirit sales are definitely a fun way to spend your day. Working with many different individuals at stores can be a bit overwhelming though. SWS offers continued education of products you sell which helps immensely with product knowledge and aids in selling to buyers. Management is lacking at times, both in realization of what happens at street level and in being proactive to fill open routes. Sales seems to have a rotating door of individuals who either don't like the pay or just cant handle he pressure of selling and being accountable. Hardest part of the job is bringing in some of the expectations for brands you represent. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job is diversity of products to sell and the independence of the sales route.
Pros
Independent, Samples, Social aspects and continued education of products you sell
Cons
Management is disconnected from street level, pay is lacking, hours can get overwhelming and no Holidays
Productive and Positive Workplace
Administrative Coordinator, Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMarch 14, 2016
The day typically consisted primarily of accessing and printing off reports of the weekly promotional displays of various vendors' product(s) advertising for inside the store and store window displays, (i.e.: liquor stores, supermarkets). Other duties included assisting merchandisers with a tracking system of their activities with stores and vendors with special requests made for various products. This included the allocation of stock to stores and maintaining the flow of stock to stores.

My time spent at Southern Wine was an enjoyable learning adventure and first time experience learning the operation of a wine/liquor distribution company.

Last minute challenges during the day/week sometimes added pressure of tight deadlines and other miscellaneous follow through duties with other departments but were essentially the daily nature of the work week and industry.

What was the most enjoyable at this organization was the friendliness of staff overall but mainly my merchandising team. We, as a department-whole worked so well together, with the understanding as a group, to help and support each other, even if it was not part of our job responsibilities.
Hostile work place
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Layfette, LouisinaAugust 23, 2016
Hostile work place! Rude supervisors! Upper management doesn't do,their job! Upper management allows mistreatment of employees! Employees don't do their work and supervisior do nothing about it! Upper management is very poor! Ignores complaints from workers and sweeps all the unfair treatment of employees under the carpet!! This place is totally mismanaged!
Pros
Nine
Cons
Poor management and supervisors sucks, favoritism shown to certain employees!
USE Commitment Curve
Manager (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLMay 11, 2016
Great People - very passionate Employee Base, most are willing to learn and develop their skills. However the lack of structure, accountability and follow through from leadership lends to a gap in establishing creditability and trust. New Leadership is earnestly working towards improving the culture with an active listening and hands on approach. Future is very bright for this company, great opportunities just some change and growing pains coming from an 80's mindset and flash forwarding to the 21st century in a short time frame.
Pros
Passionate Employee Base
Cons
Growing pains - adapting to change
Needs much improvement
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNApril 1, 2016
The night usually goes by fast when you have 6000+ cases that need to be loaded and most of the workers are nice. but the supervisor is the most unprofessional man I've ever had to deal with. he is always playing games on his phone and mumbles while the radio is playing and expects you to hear him and gets mad if you can't. the manager is a nice guy but nobody respects him. just a heads up for anyone apply in the future they are doing mandatory overtime so u work mon-Saturday. it could be a really nice place to work if they change some things. Also I was originally hired as a "forklift driver" but they had me stock trucks for a month and I was pretty annoyed about that.
Pros
45 min lunch break for night shift, nice work out
Cons
supervisor is horrible, communication is poor in warehouse.
Fun place with a lot of perks.
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 18, 2016
This was a very busy and hectic environment. I was always on the phone with a broker and on my way to another ones office to work on deals. It was all about money. This was the prime era of the the sub prime market and I was making good money but had no time to enjoy myself. The benchmarks were nearly impossible so everyday was another race to make your quote.
Pros
Great money, perks, nice office.
Cons
Stressful, no job security
we were family
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 3, 2016
there really isn't anything I can tell you about how southern did things. it was a warehouse. it shipped. it received. it ran like any warehouse. The one thing I do miss is the people. My warehouse crew. When you spend that much time with people, they're no longer a coworker. You see them more than your own family, you know more about each others lives than your best friend. Made some long time friends there.
Southern Wine & Spirits
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAAugust 31, 2016
Great company to begin with at store level. This experience will be necessary for advancement. Chains division experience at least 2 years. Great company, monthly incentives, strong upper management. When you make move from Chains to Broad Market, that's when it gets competitive. Stay focused and acheive your quotas!
Pros
outstanding medical benefits, great salary
Cons
politics
Good for Entry Level/College Student
HR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 5, 2016
Southern is a good entry level job for people to work at. You have to know people to move up in the company. They said hard work will move you up but in reality its all about who you know. Other states say its wonderful but working in the office pretty much depends on who you are with and whom is managing you.
Pros
Good Healthcare
Cons
Biased, no pay match, no where to report if you have a problem
Productive environment
Ware House laborer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Good place to work and but not much room for advancement. This job was very flexible with schedule. Over all the hardest thing in the beginning is getting things done by the deadline, but once you get the groove it is a piece of cake.
Pros
calm but productive work environment
Cons
short breaks and no room for advancement
unorgagnized
Forlift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 31, 2016
A typical day at work would goin in at 7am but not being able to start the actual work until 8am because pallets are needed to be brought to the areas that are being worked in, taking a 15min break at 9am and going back to work until 11am when mid-shift arrives for our department meeting for about 5-15min then to a 30min lunch right after and right back to work until 1:15pm to another 15min break and usually get off around 4:30-5pm I learned that you cant settle for less and know your worth so you can strive for better to the best. The management was horrible in my opinion they would play pretend when visitors was welcomed to view the warehouse and others who was in a higher level in the company, theyd go against there words but word it in a different way the next time it came around, told the employees if there was any problems with the work we had to let them know so it can be fixed but majority of the problems were never fixed so employees dont bother anymore the communication between supervisors to employees also as to supervisors towards other supervisors nobody knows what really goes on in the warehouse that they should know. The coworkers are frustrated with the work and has always complained to eachother but never to the management and human resources. The hardest part about my job was trying to understand the way its managed and the most enjoyable part about it was knowing I wanted to better myself and not be around others with such negativity.
Fun off premise sales/merchandiser job
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2016
Sell, order, and receive liquor and wine inventory for book of stores in area. request display and end cap space for extra in store maketing of products. Set up displays and continue to stock them as needed to keep integrity of display through term of display life.
Pros
salary with good hours and car allowance
Cons
can be large number of miles required to drive to store locations

Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits Reviews by Location