Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits

Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits Employee Reviews

Company out for itself
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 17, 2016
I enjoy what I do. I don't enjoy the company I do it for. Very physical job. Can not rely on salesmen or management. Been unhappy for years. Advancement, for lower level employees is sparse. I think they always bring in "new people" for higher profile jobs and territories. Many small suppliers get ignored because the company cares only about the larger entities. So many employees unhappy but they do nothing about it.
Pros
Great healthcare and decent 401K
Cons
No support for lower leve employees
Unhappy
New Applicant (Former Employee) –  All U.S.December 20, 2016
Talked to some employees and they weren't happy with the Company. Withdrew my application. Heard Too many bad things about this company. Management don't care and only hire friends and relatives. The top management should fired if this company is going to get better. And I mean the managers bosses. And this is the company management all over the U. S.
Pros
Good benefits if you are not fired
Cons
Bad bad top management. Starting from the CEO.
Challenging but not rewarding
Outside Sales & Account Management (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 16, 2017
I enjoyed the job overall being able to interact with different buyers, but the hardest part was the financial situation. Compensation isn't attractive to the bank account.

I feel that I learned a lot of key things about career goals and such, but I wish that was enough to want to stick with a company.
Pros
flexible schedule, staff
Cons
Salary, Benefits, management
Southern Wine & Spirits
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAAugust 31, 2016
Great company to begin with at store level. This experience will be necessary for advancement. Chains division experience at least 2 years. Great company, monthly incentives, strong upper management. When you make move from Chains to Broad Market, that's when it gets competitive. Stay focused and acheive your quotas!
Pros
outstanding medical benefits, great salary
Cons
politics
Good company very bad management!
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 1, 2016
I worked for this company in Lakeland Fl, I think the training was the best part, but After that, I struggled for them to give me a route. I also had many ups and downs with management due to them not listening to my feedback regarding the need for help and the disrespect there is with the diapatch team I worked with. They also found out I supported the union and they did everything in their power to get rid of anyone who did. After a few months, they made up a few things against me and let me go. There's a lot of favoritism and it was even worse when they realized I was supporting the Union and that was the bulk of why they were against me staying. The driving position sounds luxurious when you first start, bur beware, the lack of good management is their weakest link.
Benefits
Cons
Weak management
Sales rep, Seattle
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 28, 2016
SWS is a terrible place to work. Management is filled with idiots who do not know what they are doing and the rules change on a daily basis. They mess with your salary and bonus and you have to fight for every penny you earn.. There are too many great employers in Seattle and I would not my worse enemy to work there. If you want to get up with a pit in your stomach every morning because you did not make your quota or goals then work there! If you want to achieve a happy work place go some place else! This is the worse place one could ever work!! Don't go there!! You will be so depressed and unhappy!
Pros
Cons
Terrible work atmosphere-lousy management-terrible goal structure
Fired Without Cause
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 26, 2016
I was fired with no cause. It was my annual review and time for more benefits and a raise. They hired 2 temps n place of a few employees at that time. Also, their annual review and raise evaluation as well.
Pros
comfortable work environment with exception to the hostile jasmyn!
Cons
out of service elevtor, you do much more work than they compensate with pay for!
Largest Wine & Spirit Distibutor in the US
Pricing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEOctober 12, 2016
Was good company to work for with excellent health benefits. Merged with another company and then downsized. Work days were very busy and ran long when dealing with monthly deadlines.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Long hours constantly meeting changing deadlines
Fun and rewarding job with daily travel
On-Premise Sales (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 30, 2016
Typical work day involves setting appointments with assigned account and meeting daily, weekly and quarterly sales goals. Goals are straight forward, sometimes it is necessary to negotiate deals with accounts to succeed in matching company goals, but more often than not the job is quite straight forward. Company offers many benefits along with compensation.
Pros
Gas paid, company issued phone and data plan, travel and hotel accommodations paid for, manage your own account list (minimal cold calling)
Cons
Lots of time on the road, varying hours dependent upon account needs
Bully Problem
Admin (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CASeptember 8, 2016
The departments (warehouse, sales, admin) consist of people who have been with the company for 20 plus years. They ALL bully the younger generation in a form of "hazing". Its emotionally and physically draining on your body, mind, and spirit. Management lets the hazing happen and are often weak in nature. Lots of favoritism because everyone is related. There is no diversity in the employees. Nobody respects one another, everyone hates each other. Talent is not appreciated and is seen as a threat. If you enjoy fighting daily, gossiping, and being unprofessional this place is for you. If you are educated, good looking, smart, and talented this place will rip you to shreds. They do not like competition.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Bullying, Emotional Abuse, Rude Employees, Weak Management
Sales team pay structure changed at times without notice
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 25, 2016
New pay structure (pay for performance) goals changed throughout the month without reason or explanation. Goals were impossible to achieve and didn't coincide with deal programs. Month end was spent in the office with management barking at the sales team to call anyone and every for business. Little follow through on incentives. Many salespeople left due to so many fire drills. It was very hard to balance personal life with working there.
Pros
Freedom to make own schedule
Cons
Hard to get Management to help with Customers
Trust me! Look for something else!
Driver (Former Employee) –  MissouriNovember 7, 2016
Management is a joke. They tell you one thing and do another. Can't route to save their lives. Crooked management. They try and over work you when other guys go home in 6 or 7 hours. Typical days & hours are Tuesday through Friday 10 to 12 hours a day. I did not get paid by the hour. The only positive was having a 3 day weekend. If you want a friendly management team keep looking. They look to give you trouble. Good luck!
Pros
3 day weekend
Cons
Management & bad routing
Great Place
Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLOctober 26, 2016
Very friendly, hardworking environment. I love it. It's just too far from where I live. I've learned so much of the Business. It's truly a place that Builds culture. I've made permanent friends for life. My Manager takes time everyday to see how he can help me grow. My coworkers back each other up whenever someone calls out. They throw great gatherings, the customers are fantastic, and I feel like I'm helping everyday.
Pros
Everything is Great here
Cons
Location is too far.
great company bad teams
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 4, 2017
Great company with some very bad managers (when I was there). They pay workers well because it is very, very hard and demanding work. They are still holding on to people in leadership positions that should not be leading anyone as they set horrible examples and lack the skills and abilities to lead.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, growing company
Cons
no plans to manage hours worked and how it impacts performance and health
Resorts Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 16, 2017
I truly enjoyed working at SGWS and learned a lot of valuable info that I will take to my next great adventure. Work lie balance is horrible but the opportunities and experience that this job provides are second to none.
Pros
Opportunities that I will enjoy for ever
Cons
Work life balace is horible
could be a fun place to work
Credit Administrator (Current Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 5, 2016
Needs more room for advancement. It is a busy environment that keeps me busy all day.

I have learned how our SAP/Topaz system works. CO-workers are ok but could use some professionalism in areas.

hardest part of the job is watching others not performing as they should.

Enjoyable part of the job? I would have to say, end of the day!
Pros
work perks on occasion
Cons
manager's lack of professionalism and our team is singled out.
I enjoy working, and get along well with others.
Forklift Operator/Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Our daily goal is to satisfy our customers, by filling orders on a timely manner, and get the shipments out. Strife for accuracy in labeling, and shipments. The management work along with us, especially where family is concern. As worker we try to work as a team. The hardest part of the job is the holidays season orders. The most enjoyable part is meeting our goals.
Very good company with good benefits.
System Operator / Jr. Administrator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 7, 2016
Large company with lots of perks and benefits for employees. Has good standards and good management. Fast pace company which acquired many of its competitors and elevated its service in the process.
Pros
Good management and benefits
Cons
Work life balance not the best.
Excellent place to work!
Sales (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 2, 2016
Great company with excellent benefits as well as wonderful advancement opportunities.
Zero work/life balance, required to be "on call" 24/7
Negative Work Environment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 12, 2016
Terrible management, no reimbursement for sales consultants who drive 1500+ miles a month. Black out dates for vacation days. Constant changing in leadership roles, zero consistency in procedure and process. Only plus side is flexible schedule sometimes.
Pros
Free drinks, social lifestyle
Cons
Management, reimbursement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits. Our community is ready to answer.