Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits

Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits Employee Reviews

Fun and rewarding job with daily travel
On-Premise Sales (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 30, 2016
Typical work day involves setting appointments with assigned account and meeting daily, weekly and quarterly sales goals. Goals are straight forward, sometimes it is necessary to negotiate deals with accounts to succeed in matching company goals, but more often than not the job is quite straight forward. Company offers many benefits along with compensation.
Pros
Gas paid, company issued phone and data plan, travel and hotel accommodations paid for, manage your own account list (minimal cold calling)
Cons
Lots of time on the road, varying hours dependent upon account needs
Trust me! Look for something else!
Driver (Former Employee) –  MissouriNovember 7, 2016
Management is a joke. They tell you one thing and do another. Can't route to save their lives. Crooked management. They try and over work you when other guys go home in 6 or 7 hours. Typical days & hours are Tuesday through Friday 10 to 12 hours a day. I did not get paid by the hour. The only positive was having a 3 day weekend. If you want a friendly management team keep looking. They look to give you trouble. Good luck!
Pros
3 day weekend
Cons
Management & bad routing
Sales team pay structure changed at times without notice
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 25, 2016
New pay structure (pay for performance) goals changed throughout the month without reason or explanation. Goals were impossible to achieve and didn't coincide with deal programs. Month end was spent in the office with management barking at the sales team to call anyone and every for business. Little follow through on incentives. Many salespeople left due to so many fire drills. It was very hard to balance personal life with working there.
Pros
Freedom to make own schedule
Cons
Hard to get Management to help with Customers
Great Place
Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLOctober 26, 2016
Very friendly, hardworking environment. I love it. It's just too far from where I live. I've learned so much of the Business. It's truly a place that Builds culture. I've made permanent friends for life. My Manager takes time everyday to see how he can help me grow. My coworkers back each other up whenever someone calls out. They throw great gatherings, the customers are fantastic, and I feel like I'm helping everyday.
Pros
Everything is Great here
Cons
Location is too far.
review summary
Operations Night Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INOctober 19, 2016
• Manage 20 plus employees on a nightly basis
• Ensure all orders are shipped out to the right locations in a timely manner
• Train and advise new employees to help them grow in the right direction
• Gather data on a nightly basis to create a nightly production report that reflects productivity
• Resolve any technical issues we have with our computer based systems involved with fulfilling orders
could be a fun place to work
Credit Administrator (Current Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 5, 2016
Needs more room for advancement. It is a busy environment that keeps me busy all day.

I have learned how our SAP/Topaz system works. CO-workers are ok but could use some professionalism in areas.

hardest part of the job is watching others not performing as they should.

Enjoyable part of the job? I would have to say, end of the day!
Pros
work perks on occasion
Cons
manager's lack of professionalism and our team is singled out.
I enjoy working, and get along well with others.
Forklift Operator/Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Our daily goal is to satisfy our customers, by filling orders on a timely manner, and get the shipments out. Strife for accuracy in labeling, and shipments. The management work along with us, especially where family is concern. As worker we try to work as a team. The hardest part of the job is the holidays season orders. The most enjoyable part is meeting our goals.
Good company very bad management!
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 1, 2016
I worked for this company in Lakeland Fl, I think the training was the best part, but After that, I struggled for them to give me a route. I also had many ups and downs with management due to them not listening to my feedback regarding the need for help and the disrespect there is with the diapatch team I worked with. They also found out I supported the union and they did everything in their power to get rid of anyone who did. After a few months, they made up a few things against me and let me go. There's a lot of favoritism and it was even worse when they realized I was supporting the Union and that was the bulk of why they were against me staying. The driving position sounds luxurious when you first start, bur beware, the lack of good management is their weakest link.
Benefits
Cons
Weak management
Bully Problem
Admin (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CASeptember 8, 2016
The departments (warehouse, sales, admin) consist of people who have been with the company for 20 plus years. They ALL bully the younger generation in a form of "hazing". Its emotionally and physically draining on your body, mind, and spirit. Management lets the hazing happen and are often weak in nature. Lots of favoritism because everyone is related. There is no diversity in the employees. Nobody respects one another, everyone hates each other. Talent is not appreciated and is seen as a threat. If you enjoy fighting daily, gossiping, and being unprofessional this place is for you. If you are educated, good looking, smart, and talented this place will rip you to shreds. They do not like competition.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Bullying, Emotional Abuse, Rude Employees, Weak Management
Liberty Division
RAS on premise (Former Employee) –  Oakland County, MISeptember 14, 2016
The management will correct any mistake they make by blaming an employee below them and evenetually firing them working to make sure that they are blame free for the directions they give and the ramifications of their actions, trust no one in this division of Southern Wine and Spirits, Especially upper management.
Pros
pay, T&E, co workers (excluding management)
Cons
dishonest state level management.
Hostile work place
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Layfette, LouisinaAugust 23, 2016
Hostile work place! Rude supervisors! Upper management doesn't do,their job! Upper management allows mistreatment of employees! Employees don't do their work and supervisior do nothing about it! Upper management is very poor! Ignores complaints from workers and sweeps all the unfair treatment of employees under the carpet!! This place is totally mismanaged!
Pros
Nine
Cons
Poor management and supervisors sucks, favoritism shown to certain employees!
Southern Wine & Spirits
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAAugust 31, 2016
Great company to begin with at store level. This experience will be necessary for advancement. Chains division experience at least 2 years. Great company, monthly incentives, strong upper management. When you make move from Chains to Broad Market, that's when it gets competitive. Stay focused and acheive your quotas!
Pros
outstanding medical benefits, great salary
Cons
politics
Negative Work Environment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 12, 2016
Terrible management, no reimbursement for sales consultants who drive 1500+ miles a month. Black out dates for vacation days. Constant changing in leadership roles, zero consistency in procedure and process. Only plus side is flexible schedule sometimes.
Pros
Free drinks, social lifestyle
Cons
Management, reimbursement
Sales rep, Seattle
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 28, 2016
SWS is a terrible place to work. Management is filled with idiots who do not know what they are doing and the rules change on a daily basis. They mess with your salary and bonus and you have to fight for every penny you earn.. There are too many great employers in Seattle and I would not my worse enemy to work there. If you want to get up with a pit in your stomach every morning because you did not make your quota or goals then work there! If you want to achieve a happy work place go some place else! This is the worse place one could ever work!! Don't go there!! You will be so depressed and unhappy!
Pros
Cons
Terrible work atmosphere-lousy management-terrible goal structure
we were family
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 3, 2016
there really isn't anything I can tell you about how southern did things. it was a warehouse. it shipped. it received. it ran like any warehouse. The one thing I do miss is the people. My warehouse crew. When you spend that much time with people, they're no longer a coworker. You see them more than your own family, you know more about each others lives than your best friend. Made some long time friends there.
False Promises
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 24, 2016
early starts are coupled with working until it work is all done, even if hourly. Promises of advancement have not been kept, and very little training or direction given.
About the only thing that is a plus is that your coworkers are generally good people.
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
little direction, no advancement, no training
Fun place with a lot of perks.
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 18, 2016
This was a very busy and hectic environment. I was always on the phone with a broker and on my way to another ones office to work on deals. It was all about money. This was the prime era of the the sub prime market and I was making good money but had no time to enjoy myself. The benchmarks were nearly impossible so everyday was another race to make your quote.
Pros
Great money, perks, nice office.
Cons
Stressful, no job security
Great company
On Premise Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 10, 2016
After a recent merger with Glazer's, Southern Glazer's Wine and Spirits will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years. There is little competition with the brands we represent.
Pros
"Booze" industry, lots of perks from suppliers
Cons
Nearly unattainable quota goals, no sample budget, lots of driving
Largest Wine & Spirit Distibutor in the US
Pricing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEOctober 12, 2016
Was good company to work for with excellent health benefits. Merged with another company and then downsized. Work days were very busy and ran long when dealing with monthly deadlines.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Long hours constantly meeting changing deadlines
Great job, fun enviroment
Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 21, 2016
This is one of the best jobs I've had. It is a fun work environment that is ever changing. Most of my day is spent traveling to each account and then building relationships with the decision makers in each account.
Pros
Sampling and learning about different types of alochols.
Cons
Very little room for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits. Our community is ready to answer.