Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits

Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits Employee Reviews in United States

enjoy my job
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 5, 2016
a willingness to see employees succeed in every area of their job description. words of encouragement are given on a regular basis
Direct Supervisor lacks employee training & management skills
administrative assistant / receptionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 1, 2015
Direct supervisor was not supportive in a way that I needed her to be. Speaks so quickly w/o influction that speech is difficult to understand. Makes a lot of assumptions & wasn't particularly an effective listener or communicator. Not good at delegating responsibilities to other admin staff. Within a month of working for the company & receiving piece meal training you are expected to know what you're doing after being shown something once or twice. They use a bizillion computer programs for tracking sales and pulling reports. There's no written instruction to refer back to if you need assistance. I loved the work environment but gave notice because I grew tired & frustrated of dealing with an ineffective, presumptuous supervisor.
Pros
Free lunch available sometimes, Free liquor / wine, a friendly, positive, professional work environment
Cons
Poor communication & Training system in place
Best distributor network in the world.
District Manager of Spirits (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 19, 2015
A great company to work for if you are up to the challenges presented to you. Best advice I can offer is seize your opportunities to grow your business, and show who you are within the ranks.
Pros
The freedoms of outside sales calling on various territories.
Cons
Not a typical banker's work day.
Established and successful Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYNovember 13, 2015
I was temping here while someone was out on maternity leave. I enjoyed working with Southern Wine very much. Unfortunately there weren't any permanent positions available at the time or I would have stayed.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Temporary employment only
Provided a challenging and rewarding environment to work in.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 12, 2015
I worked with and worked for a great group of people who genuinely cared about their working associates. I always felt their was more to learn and always felt motivated to do the best job possible. I always felt appreciated and was made to know when I did a good job. Southern Wine and Spirits created a fun and rewarding environment to work in.
Pros
free access to events such as wine shows and concerts. Access to excellent health care.
Cons
being an off property employee sometimes created situations where I had to travel for meetings
Got along with my co-workers and officers, very nice place to work and a fast and busy day every day. enjoyed my job very much and
INVENTORY COSTING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLNovember 11, 2015
Very interesting job, learning about wines and spirits and also working for all the Vendors and Customers, you would be busy the whole day and I liked that. Making sure invoices and orders matched in order to process them and have checks printed and mailed to out to vendors.
Pros
They were always treating us to special events, lunches and holiday parties, appreciating our work.
Cons
We had two 15 minute breaks a day
Family oriented company
Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLNovember 9, 2015
Good, stable company, good benefits. Comfortable place to work, treat the employees well. little room and opportunity to grow.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not much much opportunity grow.
production warehouse shipping and unloading
WAREHOUSE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 31, 2015
I liked working at this warehouse, we all work together and got along great. I work the graveyard shift, but because we work so well together time flew by quickly. our job was running the line, packing, unpacking and loading. keeping inventory of everything boxed and opened.
Productive workplace
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 26, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent pay structure with good commissions.
fair
On- Premise Wine and Liquor Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  tampaOctober 22, 2015
Is not a family oriented company what so ever. Management is all about themselves as well as suppliers. Would not go back if they paid me millions.
good pay
Territorial Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 19, 2015
great pay horrible management un balanced work lif ratio. lots of last minute meetings 5am 7 pm no extra help to lighten load. many days off spent working.
Fast pace work environment where Customer Service and Sales are #1
Store Director, Asst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 8, 2015
Job Duties Included opening up shop, and break down multiple pallet loads that was delivered on a daily basis and receive product into store inventory as well. Customer Service and Sales are essential, as well as creating and setting up new accounts for new customers. Maintaining a professional business relationship in order to make sales and to up-sale on a large scale all while managing a team and outfitting our store location with proper display of product that was on push for the month. I was responsible for balancing out business transactions at the end of every work day and closing up shop. I've learned to manage my time and team along with controlling Inventory cost and keeping product in stock to make sure sales flow was profitable for the company. Building confidence in, not only myself, but for the purpose of company goals and sales, and have a better understanding of the vast variety of product sold for distribution. The most difficult part of the job was the lack of man power at work while we were at our busiest times of the seasons. However, the amount of work on a busy day had every employee built up for a great day of sales and business accomplishments
Pros
Constant face time with Suppliers from Major Brands and Incentives and rewards for competitive sales
Cons
Always a need for more hired help at each store location.
Productive, fast paced, fun and interesting workplace.
sales coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FloridaOctober 8, 2015
In my 13 years at SWS my daily responsibilities varied greatly. During my time as a merchandiser in the off premise wine division, responsibilities included writing orders, building and maintaining floor displays, racks, pricing products, installation of point of sale material and maintaining the integrity of shelf sets and plan-o-grams.

As a merchandiser in the independent liquor division I was responsible for multiple accounts. Responsibilities included writing orders, building and maintaining floor displays, installation of point of sale, writing product reviews, unloading trucks, checking in orders and assisting customers. During the holiday season I was part of a team of merchandisers that was responsible for setting up new point of sale materials and promoting new brands at various conventions throughout the state of Florida.

As a retail shelf analyst responsibilities included measuring shelf sets as well as new bottle dimensions and forwarding all information to the category management division. Once a store was in possession of new plan-o-grams, I not only attended but lead a team in the reset of the store. Other responsibilities included weekly monitoring of shelf sets to ensure their integrity as well as the integrity of the brands I represented.

As a sales coordinator with the ABC fine wine and spirits division all of the responsibilities listed above were used on a daily basis. In this division, I was also tasked with preparing stores for surveys ran by high level executives, store owners, as well as vice presidents of very well known liquor and
  more... wine suppliers.

In my years at SWS I learned to deal with many personality types, whether they were customers or management. Overcoming all obstacles was a very big part of the job, whether it was personality conflicts, computer errors, etc. I learned to keep a cool head and thrive under pressure which was immense during October, November and December when the liquor industry does about 75% of it's business. The hardest part of the job was the long demanding hours and some overnight stays out of town away from my family. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that the industry was always changing and growing which provided a need to stay educated and up to date on industry policies, procedures, new products etc.
Pros
Local traveling, always meeting new people
Cons
very demanding seasonal hours
Its ok
Night Warehouse Loader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 4, 2015
It is a grueling job. Good days off though. You have to work overnight from 5pm to sometimes 8am. Loading trucks with boxes of liquor for distribution.
Pros
3 day weekends
Cons
14 hour graveyard shifts
market share leaders of wine and spirits
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Goleta,CA. to Thousand Oaks,CA.October 1, 2015
loved the daily battle for space and placement with competitors, building new brands, and the overall satisfaction of owning an account.
Pros
incentive based trips and outings
Cons
constant managment change with little experience
not a good company
Off- Premise and On-Premise Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 29, 2015
stay away they are to deal with ( upper management) , the don't help sales department at all , they think only of themselfs
Pros
people are great
Cons
management no good
Fast paced work environment
Venture Team Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 28, 2015
Dynamic and ever changing work environment, where employee creativity and innovation is encouraged. Defined monthly goals and objectives are communicated to provided employees with clear concise direction
Comfortable work place
Wine merchandiser (Current Employee) –  JacksonvilleSeptember 28, 2015
Comfortable work place environment with supportive management. Job requires extreme time management and organizational skills which has helped me to grow as an individual to add value to my company that I am working for. Overall great experience working in this industry.
Pros
Good, stable company with interesting products and comfortable atmosphere.
Cons
Hours (2am-10am)
Work enviroment
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 19, 2015
Perform maint. on conveyor and Production equipment. No room for advancement. Replace and repair all equipment in warehouse. Only
3 Maint. personnel.
Account Executive
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 15, 2015
Great wine, spirits, beer and non alcoholic portfolio. The largest in the world. A bit too corporate but gets the job done.

Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits Reviews by Location