Southern Illinois University Carbondale Employee Reviews

Research Labs at SIUC
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 8, 2016
Working in a research lab at SIUC was a very educational experience. I learned a tremendous amount of laboratory skills while I was there.
Pros
wide variety of lab skills
Academic Counselor
Academic Counselor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day at work includes scheduled and impromptu counseling sessions with students to discuss academic, personal, career and crisis needs. Researching scholarships, community resources and academic resources to help aid students in being successful at SIU and in Carbondale, IL. Collaborating with colleagues and other college personnel in providing unparalleled services to students served. Answering switchboard, creating and responding to email, maintaining and updating confidential records and case management files.
Pros
Meeting the needs of students
Good Learning Experience
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 15, 2015
I have improved my teaching while being an instructor at SIUC. My colleagues have given me many suggestions. It is not easy to make sure all students can understand the subject (Statistics) I teach. I am trying my best to adjust the pace and help my students as much as I can.
Academic peer advocate and Resident Assistant
Academic Peer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 13, 2015
Working for University Housing can be a lot of fun, but you're working constantly. Housing staff seems to take the rules more seriously than the well being of it's residents and employees
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
You live where you wrok
Good place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 12, 2015
SIUC s a good college to work as a professor and researcher. I recommend it to other people interesting to work in a Illinois College.
Good experience
Graduate IT Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 5, 2015
Great experience here in SIU Carbondale. Worked with Aviation Management & Flight department as a IT research assistant. Great people and staff toto work with
fun work place
Information Technology/Departmental Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 3, 2015
It is a great environment to work. Helping students and employees. we have different events like a chili cook off. I can request days off when needed with no problems.
good experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 26, 2015
this job was strictly volunteer. I taught cadaver anatomy to undergraduate students. good way to get references for graduate school. great leadership and experience
Would not work there again
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 24, 2015
They were supportive of there staff but had severe budget cuts and poor benefits because it is a state run school. I would not work there again.
middle of nowhere
Administrative Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 14, 2015
good school and good program but the location can be a killer at times.slow durring the semester dead durring intersessions and summers. Deffenetly was not the final stop for me
Social workplace with plenty of down time
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 8, 2015
This job was ideal for a student such as myself. The work shift was never longer than 6 hours, and the management was very flexible when it came to schedule changes and shift coverage. The management let us workers complete school work and other activities during our work shift, The work was fairly easy. Due to the tight work space, our relationships as co workers were extremely friendly, might even be describe as a mini family. There wasn't an extremely hard aspect of the job, but there were plenty of enjoyable things. The cookouts, the movie nights, and the best thing was the relationship that were built between residents and us desk assistants.
Pros
Able to socialize, flexible scheduling, ability to complete school work at work.
Cons
No Breaks.
Work Experience for SIUC
Internship (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 2, 2015
A typical day working at this job was doing school work in my office being offered to me and attending research meetings. I learned to keep a positive attitude while doing work and toward co workers no matter how tiring the job is. My co- workers were nice and did their jobs. My hardest part of this job is getting over the consistent labor once I am use to the flow of what is to be done in the job. My most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends and having a chance to express myself to others while I am doing my work.
Good place to study and work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 2, 2015
My daily work is that tutored and instructed students in accounting coursework and exam preparation, and worked with students to better understand subject matter.
I have learnt responsibility and more skilled for accounting knowledge.
Work Study
Concessions Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 29, 2015
Some people that came into this job didn't know how to work with food. On the other hand, it was a great job to have during the semester because I still had time to get my classwork done but still make money.
Diverse
Graduate and Family Services Complex Director (Current Employee) –  SIUMay 6, 2015
Great place for interaction with a diverse population. Lots of international, graduate, undergrad, veteran, and families in this area to support and assist.
Pros
Cons
Language Barriers
don't work here anymore
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 4, 2015
I enjoyed it, I liked my job, got a lot more extra work, screwed up and lost funding, and stuff. It was fun going to school here.
Very Productive
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, Illinois, USANovember 25, 2014
Very productive and fun working there. Got a chance to interact with multi-cultural teams.
Productive, Growth, and Fun.
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 31, 2014
I've learned alot here in school and work. I love working here and I've enjoyed learning here. I've joined a small team of students and staff on large scale projects such as Windows Deployment and Tablet Initiative.
Pros
growing technical community, lots of fun learning and working
Cons
student minimum pay
Excellent place to hone your basic office skills!
Communications Design Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 18, 2014
A typical work day involves using a database to enter potential student information for automated email correspondence. I've learned how to navigate several different databases used by the university for communicating with potential students via email and how to filter emails to specific student or degree majors demographic. I enjoy working with all my fellow co-workers. I don't find much hard about the job; however, the database when it freezes up can be challenging. The most enjoyable part of my job is being efficient and constantly finding new work to preform without my direct supervisors instruction.
Fun way to spend the day working
Office Secretary/ Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale IlJuly 28, 2014
A typical day included talking with students and faculty, answering phones, data entry, and sorting mail. I learned better communication skills and customer service. I loved working with my management they all were great and helped me with whatever I needed. The hardest part of the job was leaving to go to class the most enjoyable part was getting to see all the student and spending time helping all of the teachers.
Pros
social enteraction

4.3