Southern Illinois University Carbondale Employee Reviews

Its a university
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 12, 2018
It was a university. Nice people. I enjoyed my time for the most part. Some days where busier than others but overall it was nice. I wish I got better pay.
Very professional work environment
Spanish Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 27, 2017
A great place for professional development with supportive supervisors. Teaching Assistants at the Depatment of Languages, CUltures, and International Trade are provided with appropriate guiance and encouragement throughout their appointments.
Productive and fast-paced workplace
Physical Plant Service (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 20, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of moving from floor to floor doing janitorial services as well as coming up with a list of field events. The most enjoyable part of he job was the management!
Pros
management
Cons
short-breaks
great teaching enviornment
Off-Campus Programs Visiting Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Cherry Point, NCDecember 4, 2017
I truly enjoyed the time i spent as adjunct faculty at SIUC, working with Marines in North Carolina bases. There was excellent support from the home office and the local off-campus staff. Very rewarding and satisfying time,.
Overall: Great years of employment
Custodian (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 1, 2017
A typical day is very relax, co workers are like family. Supervisor was very attentive to new employees. Everyone was professional daily tasks are easy to execute within the time fame given.
Pros
Awesome bosses
Cons
Lots of extra work at the end of the semester.
Slow days, tedious work
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 26, 2017
Long days that do not consist of much work. During peak season, the office can become very frantic and require a lot of patience with customers. Scheduling flexible.
I was a Student Worker
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 6, 2017
It is good for a student to work an on campus job because they understand that school comes first. You are only allowed to work 20 hours a week and there are many different on campus jobs to choose from.
Pros
Good School/Life Balance
Cons
Low Pay
Excellent
Student Center Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 3, 2017
I enjoy learning in every work area I have been. It helps me move on with my educational goals as far as work experience. I will continue to move on with my education and career goals.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Low wages
Productive, meaningful
Undergraduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 3, 2017
This was a job were I learned a lot in a very short amount of time. I learned a lot about the job and how things worked within the department. I also got to meet graduate students and professors which I probably wouldn't have had if I didn't get this job opportunity. The work it's self was pretty stress as I had to create and run my own experiment.
Pros
Made own hours
Cons
Very stressful, solitary work
Disorganized Structure
Food Service Administrator III (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 5, 2017
The entire state of Illinois has been mismanaged for several years. Being a state institution, SIU has had declining enrollment leading to the reduction of our operation from 4 full service dining halls and 3 cash store operations to just 2 dining halls. There are no opportunities for advancement or anything promising in this state anymore.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Terrible hours
Great experience
PERSONAL TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 3, 2017
All the personal trainers were really great to work with, our clients were very positive and also willing to put in the work they needed. Would definitely recommend.
Good environment good people
Student Telecounselor for Undergraduate (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, IL 62901September 10, 2017
The call center was seemingly like any normal job I've had when I applied. I had gotten an in with the company the same way I've gotten every other job in my life, a friend on the inside.
Pros
Very flexible hours
Cons
No windows for natural light
I needed money for college books.
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 25, 2017
I made sure the food was available to the clients. I cleaned the dining hall and my working station. I learned a lot about how to prepare mass amounts of food. I also learned customer service skills.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
The clients did not like to leave for us to clean up and go back to the dorms.
New Product Development
New Product Development Teacher (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 15, 2017
Class covered a wide range of skills used in product development. We traveled to three major manufacturing plants to observe the process and gain understanding. Class included 3-4 projects. Students used SolidWorks and rendering software.
Pros
Class rooms are new and clean
Cons
City is small
I loved my job, I hate that the contract ended due to State budget cuts.
Tracking Faculty (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 6, 2017
I enjoyed working within this company, work was awesome as well as my supervisor. We worked as a team and knew what the other one needed and just did it without asking.
Pros
Awesome place to work.
Cons
Contract ended
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 5, 2017
It helped to know what we need to understand to motivate student to do better. I learnt the how to get their best performance. It also help me to understand management skills.
Productive workplace with nice benefits
Intramural Referee (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 1, 2017
It was a great company to work for, i enjoyed every minute of working for the rec. They made my stay at college fun with the chance to make money and have fun doing it. Also developed life skills that now makes me a better person.
Pros
Fast shifts, Easy money, Fun at work
It's a nice place for student to work.
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, IL 62901May 19, 2017
If you want extra money in your pockets, then it's the place to work. They don't pay students to work over 20 hours or financial aid fires you. It's a lot of work (depending on where you work) for little pay.
Productive and challenging environment.
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 7, 2017
Working at SIUC has allowed me to grow both as an individual and as a scientist. It provided constant challenges along with an overwhelmingly supportive environment.
Very laid back job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 29, 2017
enjoyed working there. hardest part was getting off late and going home to do homework while spending 15 hours on campus. there really was not a part of the job that was enjoyable.
Pros
no taxes
Cons
short breaks